Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Sorry for off-topic but your Figo was featured here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2533219
Thanks for the info. I missed that post I guess. I used to look for my M800 in this thread since it had the same sticker, but was a red lettered sticker on the body and not on a yellow sign. It was meant specially for the cabbies
Old 2nd February 2012, 16:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian

Hey KiloAlpha,

I would actually want to compare my car with a stock figo to check the differences. I could also let you know the details of the mod job at RRP if you feel the mods are worth it. For me, its like a hot hatch now.
Which is why I reached out to you ... I have a stock figo and would like to compare performance with your car. Email me on kayks72 at gmail dot com if you want to meet up ... I live in bangalore
Old 13th March 2012, 17:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just a quick update of a short Sunday evening drive I did.
Wanted to check the top end after the mods that were done around 4k kms ago. Engine has run only 15k all together, so I am expecting power to increase after engine starts revving more freely. It does rev freely now, but the intitial is quite a drag till 2750rpm.

Managed to hit 156kmph on the GPS on an empty straight stretch of expressway on the outskirts of Bangalore. I am not one who overspeeds carelessly on an expressway since I know how predictable they are. This one was a straight stretch which I could view for almost a km ahead so went for it and slowed down soon after.

What was noticed- the car is free revv'r post 3k rpm . I have done similar speeds on long trips on other cars, namely a CRDI verna with 4 on board, and it felt scary. Same speeds on a Figo with lesser passengers felt super stable, not one hint of lightness. That is something I always wanted more in a car, than power.

Did a 0-100 on an unfinished dead end newly laid road with the help of SpeedView on my android as well. O-90 was achieved rather quick, probably around 14-15 sec mark, however, 90-100 was rather slow. Took easily 3 more seconds. Not sure if it was my shifting or lack or experience in doing a quarter mile. I am sure it can be done around in 15-16 secs. Surprisingly, Ford states it can be done in the same time on the stock car and I was disappointed in that sense.

Realized, engine modding can get addictive when started. Now I want a FPR as well and down the line, a turbo
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 20:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
O-90 was achieved rather quick, probably around 14-15 sec mark, however, 90-100 was rather slow. Took easily 3 more seconds.
Can you please tell me the speeds at which you up-shifted? I've to agree that Figo reaches 90kph quickly but after that, it struggles to reach higher speed even if it's just 100kph.

Quote:
Realized, engine modding can get addictive when started. Now I want a FPR as well and down the line, a turbo
Turbo is what I'm most looking forward to. I feel that air filters etc will not make much difference. Turbo is the way to go. Every component in Figo can easily take responsibility of higher power surge, I'm confident!
Old 13th March 2012, 23:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hey DevilsCry,
As for the upshifting speeds, am not very sure since my eyes were on the revs and the road and GPS was recording the speeds. I can give you a guess .
I revv'd to around 5500 rpm in first to third. It actually goes beyond 6000 rpm were peak power is achieved which for some reason I didnt feel like revving upto.
First gear- probably 40 kmph, second- 75-80 and in third crossed 100 kmph. Again this is a guess based on the revv's, next time I do this I will make a note.

As for the turbo, it is a long term plan and I hope as you mentioned, the engine will be able to handle it,. After all it is based on the Fiesta engine which was MRF's rally cars in few seasons.
Old 19th March 2012, 07:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hey DevilsCry,
As for the upshifting speeds, am not very sure since my eyes were on the revs and the road and GPS was recording the speeds. I can give you a guess .
I revv'd to around 5500 rpm in first to third. It actually goes beyond 6000 rpm were peak power is achieved which for some reason I didnt feel like revving upto.
First gear- probably 40 kmph, second- 75-80 and in third crossed 100 kmph. Again this is a guess based on the revv's, next time I do this I will make a note.

As for the turbo, it is a long term plan and I hope as you mentioned, the engine will be able to handle it,. After all it is based on the Fiesta engine which was MRF's rally cars in few seasons.
Hey I hope you are enjoying the ride. Did you manage to compare this with a stock Figo? And any future visits to RRP planned?
Old 19th March 2012, 15:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Hey I hope you are enjoying the ride. Did you manage to compare this with a stock Figo? And any future visits to RRP planned?

Car is doing great thanks.. over use lot of sounds from the header mainly the resonance sound is almost gone. there is only a rattling and squeaking sound now from the exhaust joint under the gear lever which i need to get rid of.
did a top up yesterday and was shocked at the mileage - 12.5 kmpl!
This is with 50% ac and also a Sunday with almost 30-40 kms of high speeds and 0-100 runs.
Its like how a F1 car will work how its meant to only a high speeds . I get good mileage when I'm driving around. 3.5 k rpm!
I am yet to do the comparison with the stock figo. maybe kiloalpha you and me can meet some weekend and do so!
Old 23rd March 2012, 23:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I am seriously contemplating on turbo-charging my Figo at RRP. Like I mentioned earlier, modding and the result power increase is quite addictive.
Depending on the cost I would be doing it sooner or later.
I would like to know if anyone who has, or known someone who owns a retro-fitted turbo on their hatchbacks, the drawbacks or any mechanical issue with the engine after doing so. Basically, if any stock part of the engine will fail.
RRP's turbo pack includes FPR, Turbo, Intercooler and the pipes, plugs , clutch, BOV and the FFE and CAI which is present already.

RRP has done this work on few Swifts, not sure if any 1.2 is included is included in that. On the next visit hopefully I can meet someone who has done the work on their car so I can have a go and check out the difference, which I know will be quite a bit.
What I would really like to know is how a Ford 1.2 can take a turbo and if it is going to be worth it.
I have not come across or heard of any Ford's that were turbo-charged, hence the query.
The new Eco-Boost has boosted me as well as to a Figo 1.2 is much more capable!

Mods-I feel this thread would be better off in the Modifications and Accessories thread, thank you.
Old 1st November 2012, 16:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thought of penning down the running of my 1.2 since it has been little over two years and 20000 kms.

Am I happy with the car? For the price I paid, yes I am. It has been a perfect upgrade from my M800 . In city, yes I have felt the lack of power which I could better quite a bit because of the RRP work. Out on the highway, I would have prefered a Swift due to the lack of high crusing speed on the Figo.

Since I enjoy the handling of a car much more than outright power, I enjoy the Figo everytime I do a long trip. On a high speed test run, at speeds over 150kmh, I did not feel I was in a hatch, rather a sedan.

The car has been trouble free with no complaints except for the bad headlamps which was taken care of by Hella aux lamps. The third service was recently completed whch worked out to 3k. Mileage for some reason dropped to a low of 9.5 kmpl in city after the service. I have no idea what could be the reason as my driving had remained the same. Luckily, it jumped back to the normal 11.5-12 kmpl in the last top up.

There was a tick sound when the brake pedal was pressed when reversing as well after the service which seems to have resolved automatically now. Brake noise and grinding remains an issue after the car has been idle for days especially in the cold.
I was expecting the interior plastics and plastics on the mirror and B-pillar , bumpers to fade over time due to the quality, surprisingly it has not. Paint quality is good, but the depth of the paint is something which I have noticed. Most of the times due to my parking space layout, I end up touching the door on the fence next to the door which has chipped off the paint on the edge of the door.
Suspension is another part that is noisy at times. But with the recent RTB replacement, it is almost nil. The thud from the front spring remains when a pothole is hit a decent speeds which reminds me of my 800, just that in this case the shock is absorbed.

Changing the tires to 185/65 made huge difference in comfort. With the shocks being hard and the stocks MRF's being even harder, the car was sliding on wet curves. With the Conti EC, that has taken care of and improved the handling as well.

What I would want more? A powerful engine from Ford. If Suzuki and Honda can get 85+ bhp out from their 1.2 blocks, I cannot understand why Ford is stuck at 71! I was expecting an upgrade atleast in the facelifted Figo which did not happen. The only saving grace being the 1.2 is a 16 valve which makes it rev freely.
If I was in the market now for a new car, I would have gone for the Sail U-VA.

Coming to another essential part for Blore roads, the horn. Although the stock horns on the 2010 were loud enough since there are two of them, I went ahead and got the Hella twin tone specially for cabbies and two wheelers. With the stock horn, they didnt bother, yet with this , a two wheeler decided to fall on the side fender and dent it once .

Will I recommend a Figo 1.2 ? If he enjoys driving and is not power hungry and is on a limited budget, a big Yes.

Since I ride more than drive. I enjoy this car everytime I take it out and although I enjoy a diesel for its low rev crusing ability, I would rather rev a petrol once a while and enjoy than save some bucks on fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img409.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img328.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img403.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 1st November 2012 at 16:28.
Old 1st May 2013, 13:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Some latest pictures of Red Rascal.
Last few are after a polish job.

Small update-
Used carbon fibre vinyl on the front grille which made a difference in the front appearance. Used some on the rear as well . On a red car, using this makes a difference in looks, on the positive side.

Car has run close to 24k kms now. Engine gets smoother as it is being used. Mileage is at a constant of 11kmpl with AC. Absolutely rattle free interiors.
Got few punctures on the Continental tires at the edge on the sidewall and thread. AC remains a chiller even in the Summer and only occasionally sees speed 2 on the blower.

FFE and CAI has made the car more fun to drive. Engine breathes much free now and revs quite freely from 2000-5000rpm.

All in all , perfect for city use.
Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img613.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img530.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img617.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img531.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img506.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img508.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img509.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img510.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 1st May 2013 at 13:52.
Old 7th February 2014, 15:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Latest pictures

Red Rascal completes 3.5 years and 30k kms.
Mostly niggle free except for the plastic glovebox clamps breaking off when I tried removing it to access the fusebox and the rear wheel bearing failing which is yet to be replaced.

Addes a Hertz component set up and a vintage Blaupunkt Velocity series tube wooden case sub woofer to existing Polkaudio box sub .Output is equal to what I was looking for now.

Swapped the Bosch wipers for Hella Dynaedge. Looks good but does a triple jump on one side on the way down.
Added a hot looking muffler tip to go with the free flow exhaust note.
Attached Thumbnails
Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img951.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img955.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img959.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img958.jpg  

Old 7th February 2014, 17:27   #27
BHPian

Nice jobs carried out on your car aesthetic as well as under the hood.
I have driven a friend's petrol Figo, Yes it was sluggish but the car feels more planted, rigid and muted (being petrol). With RRP's work i guess you got few more HPs which matches the otherwise better car with its ride quality and handling.

I may suggest you to blacken the roof if you are ok with dual tone effect. Personally i feel it enhances your Red Rascal's handsomeness. (I wont call it a beauty, cos i find its more of a Man thing)

One query, Howz Hella doing on your car? I was contemplating in fixing up the HL issue, but was confused between 100/90, 130/100, AUX lamp, Projector HID. (you know too much of options is not good at times.)

Will be very helpful if you post a picture of Driver's view with/without Hella on (ofcourse when time permits)

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 7th February 2014 at 17:31.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 02:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post

I have driven a friend's petrol Figo, Yes it was sluggish but the car feels more planted, rigid and muted (being petrol). With RRP's work i guess you got few more HPs which matches the otherwise better car with its ride quality and handling.
Yes, very true. The car is absolutely stable at high speeds, more so because of the suspension set up. The RRP work mainly made the engine breathe freely so it revs a bit faster now.
I still haven't got around to drive a stock Figo, so I can't comment much. Power bump would be just a few hp's.
But the engine likes to be rev'd now which is what a petrol engine is all about anyway and yes it is fun on this car because of the super steering response and planted feel.

Quote:
I may suggest you to blacken the roof if you are ok with dual tone effect.
I actually did think of this , but that would change the whole look of the car although it is not permanent. I was also thinking of getting the alloys repainted to matt black with a red lip. Probably will do these changes after I am bored with this look.

Quote:
One query, Howz Hella doing on your car? I was contemplating in fixing up the HL issue,
Will be very helpful if you post a picture of Driver's view with/without Hella on (ofcourse when time permits)
The Hella's are a mix of spot and spread and the bulbs in it are 100w ,and with the good quality reflector and lens, the brightness is very good. I use it only for trips and outside city. It absolutely blinds oncoming traffic when on.
I will post the pictures with it on/off.

Last edited by tharian : 8th February 2014 at 02:25.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 23:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Posting pictures of the headlights.
First one is with the bumper lamps and main headlights in dim.second with the hellas included and third is just hellas.
Attached Thumbnails
Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img964.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img965.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img966.jpg  

tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 12:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Posting pictures of the headlights.
First one is with the bumper lamps and main headlights in dim.second with the hellas included and third is just hellas.
Thanks A LOT for the pictures. This gives a fair idea of how Hella comet 500 lits up the road.

I need to search for the difference between Comet 500 and 500 FF.

Im also thinking of 550 series and plan to fix it below the front number plate section. but not sure about its performance.

So will decide on what to go after some study.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks