Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 03:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km

Hello T-Bhpians,

This is my first post on the forum after more than a year of only reading threads and not being able to post. Thanks you Mods for approving.

One of the reviews I wanted to always post as soon as I became a member is that of my 2010 Figo 1.2 named 'Red Rascal'. I purchased the car in Aug 2011 and started adding accessories and changing stock parts within a couple of weeks.

From the time I bought the car, I had no complaints what so ever since the car was all that I paid for, nothing more ,nothing less. It is occupied most of the times by me alone or at the most another person at the front passenger seat, so no complaints of the read windows rolling down themselves , which it hardly does anyway, nor the lack of rear power windows. The car was a delight to drive , enough power in the city but inadequate on the highways. I compare it with my cast iron Bullet 350. Takes a long while to reach a good operating temperature after which it is in its own element and good speeds are reached on its own accord. No complaints since I am not a power freak and enjoy the torque and handling of a car more.

It has been a year 4 months and 11500kms of ownership and I had no complaints so far. The mileage is nothing to write home about but something that I can live with since I use the car a couple of times a week. I was getting a consistent 11-11.5 kmpl with A/C in city and on highway the best was 17 kmpl with AC at speeds around 110. The two free services that are done with went on smoothly which was done at Metro Ford, Lingrajapuram. Well, I had no complaints so only the basics were done at both the services. Ofcourse, the known issue of rear brakes sticking when handbrake is engaged for many days together and the front discs making a rubbing noise persists, but I did not follow up with it since it did not hamper the braking.

My father has a 2005 Swift Lxi which is off the first batch of Swifts that rolled out which I have driven around quite a bit and if I compare both, they are actually quite similar, that is in the handling department and nothing else. All I wanted was that extra little power when the car was loaded, with the A/C on. With the A/C , it is severely underpowered. What baffled me the most was why couldn't Ford do a bit more R&D on this engine and could have released it with atleast a minimum of 75-80bhp instead of the 71 which made it made feel even less powered because the car itself is on the heavier side which is actually good becuase it helps a lot in handling.

Mine is a Exi version and the first stock part I replaced were the rims for alloys after which I realized the stock MRF tires were as good as bullock cart wheels and swapped them for bigger Continental 185/65 r14 tires which I got to test soon after on a drive back from Chennai in contineous downpour all the way. Amazing it was. The car was rock solid at speeds north of 100 wet roads and standing water at some stretches. No complains there. Next I wanted some kind of extra power and since the car was below 10000kms mark, I did not have plans on any major modifications so I went in for the Cosworth stock replacement air filter. I still am mot sure if it made a difference since I was to drive another Figo with the stock filter but never got around to doing it.

I am an exhaust freak and love experimenting with different sounds and both my Bullets have gone through countless muffler changes( for which I am sure they would be cursing me for ) and I was in for a treat when I heard the note of the stock muffler of the Figo 1.2. A nice bassy hum on idle and a very light racy note post 2700rpm which I hardly heard because I am not in the habit of revving the engine. All that was to go since the car was Power Drived by RRP Blore! the RRP experience and pictures To be cont'd ..
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 14:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km

Cont'd..
I paid a visit to Red Rooster Performance a couple of weeks back after reading about the differennt power upgrade packages they provide to check if it will suit the 1.2 Figo. They recommended the basic upgarde which includes the BMC conical filter and DIA for the intake and a custom made free flow exhaust. The package also included the Fuel Pump Regulator which according to them was not required on a Ford since its fuel pressure was good enough for this set up.
It is a day's job if the car they are working on is one they have done before like the Swifts or Civics. Since this is the first Figo 1.2 , it took a while and the work is not finished as yet either since the 02 sensor was damaged when the exhaust pipes were being replaced. I had to wait for Ford to place the order and received it today and have to get it fixed.

As for the power, RRP was to dyno the car in stock condition and after the modifications so the actual difference is seen. For some reason, it was not done in stock and was done after the intake and exhaust was changed, without the FPR since that came later.
According to the graphs, the increase was 10hp at the wheels which I feel will be more since when they did that test the O2 sensor was not giving the right reading. The problem was diagnosed to be the lack of fuel being pumped in for which the FPR was fixed later. The engine check light had come on before and after the FPR fitment which meant something else was wrong. Mr. Leela had a go in the car with the computer plugged in showing him the readings which was when it was understood the sensor had failed because the readings were nil.

I felt that even with the sensor failed, the FPR did the trick of sending enough fuel in so that car was not jerking or stuttering and yes, there is a power increase. The front left wheel is forever spinning on speedbreakers and undualations without revving the engine at all. The torque has improved quite a bit soon as the clutch is released but drops soon after which I feel is due to the sensor failure. Today once the FPR is removed and the O2 sensor is replaced I will get to know the actual difference.

The quality of job done at RRP is good apart from the few niggles here and there which can tick off an impatient person.
As for the exhaust note, I had asked them to make it as quiet as possible and give it the stock look which was done. The piple is a 4-2-1 set up with two mufflers. At around 2000-2500 rpm the sound is so low as it is on a stock set up and has a very nice note when it increases and creates a dust storm behind as well!
The engine is much more free revving now and can be redlines quite easily. Mileage has not dropped! which is a saving grace at these times as the car as it is was not a very fuel efficient car. With the A/C on, as always, power drops and when the compressor cuts off, it takes off like a turbo charged car. I am yet to check the power with the car loaded on a trip which has hopefully improved as well.

This car I always felt needed a much more powerful engine since the chassis and set up can easily handle it, but the restriction being the 1.2 engine.
I will keep this thread posted as to how the car performs over course of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img032.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-100_1884.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2. EDIT: Sold at 51,000 km-img074.jpg  

tharian is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 21:32   #3
BHPian

I can't believe that I missed this thread! I'm a Figo petrol owner. I had been long wanting to modify its engine to get out 10 extra horses which I feel is enough to make it a perfect car. Please do keep this thread updated. This thread will be quite useful for not only me but petrol Figo owners all over India

My Figo is nearly 4 months old and has done nearly 2000km. Can I put in mods like Cosworth air filter without voiding warranty?
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey DevilsCry,
Sorry about the delay in response as I was on vacation and hardly logged in.
I covered over 1500 kms on the highway after the mods and over 2000kms over all. I am very happy with the end results.
On expressways, the crusing speed has only slightly increased. I was doing a GPS speed of 110-115 with the engine spinning at 3100 rpm. Power was there when required with just a press of the pedal. With a/c, I am not too hyappy with the power as the I can feel the engine not revving freely.
Without the a/c, regardless of the number of passengers on board, I can rev the car very easily upto 5000 rpm . Basically, without the a/c turned on, the engine is a free revver.
The other advantage being the low end torque has improved considerably. With 3 on board, I can remain in 3rd gear and take a speedbreaker and the revvs climb quite fast. No sluggishness like before on the stock set up.
The icing on the cake? The mileage remains exactly the same in city as well as highways. I got around 17 kmpl with with the a/c on around 40% of the time with speeds hovering around 110km/h on a 350 kms trip.
The exhaust in my case is a twin muffler free flow which makes it very pleasant and enjoyable to drive in city or highways. There is a certain rpm band in which there is no noise at all from the exhaust. In fact some people who got into the car did not even ask me if I had the car is modified or if there is something wrong!
The power kicks in post 2500 rpm, close to 3000. Before that, it is only torque, so unlike before, I need not wait for the car to pick up momentum to complete an overtaking manevour. Just down a gear and floor it and it does the trick. Overall, very happy with how the modifications turned out.
Hope this helps in improving your cars performance!
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

As for the Cosworth stock replacement filter, I am not very sure if it will void the warranty or not, so no comments there. I did have the Cosworth filter for around 8000kms, before this set up and the increase in all departments was very marginal. I did not get around to drive a stock petrol Figo, so I cannot really tell the difference. Hope this helps.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
I can't believe that I missed this thread! I'm a Figo petrol owner. I had been long wanting to modify its engine to get out 10 extra horses which I feel is enough to make it a perfect car. Please do keep this thread updated. This thread will be quite useful for not only me but petrol Figo owners all over India

My Figo is nearly 4 months old and has done nearly 2000km. Can I put in mods like Cosworth air filter without voiding warranty?
Same here. Dont know how i missed this thread. Found it while googling

To OP, What was the total cost for the mods done at RR?
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread Tharian, and nice looking Figo with those alloys.
Yeah please do elaborate on the cost of the modifications at RRP.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 14:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Fordmachau..
Akshay380- Well, the cost is on the high side at RRP compared to the same job that can be done at another workshop for around 3/4th the cost at RRP.
It is a package which is called Power Drive and comes upto 35k with the fuel pump regualtor. I have not fixed the FPR since the engine is not running lean and was not required. However, I will be fixing it later after saving up since I want that low end pick up to increase and I drove with the FPR for few days and so I know it does increase power.
The car is real fun to drive now. Something like the old Zen. The handling is very good on a Figo and with this mod, it can lay down the power when i need it without worrying whether I can pull off an overtake or not.
The reason I chosen RRP over another workshop is for the quality of the work done. Recently I had a chance to drive a i20 that had a free flow exhaust done at Raj in Blore. I havent driven a stock i20, but the owner had told me it is quite slow on pick up. What I noticed was that the engine revv'd very freely , thereby the intial pick up was amazing. I feel that is because Hyundai engines are quite free revving compared to Ford and moreover Ford's are heavy cars. However, there was a certain amount of harshness in the cabin whereas in my car, the sound and vibrations are low It is a very smooth and gradual pick up and you know while driving, the job done is good.
On the sound side, the i20 had the exact same set up as mine which is 4-2-1 and 2 mufflers, but it sounded like an old Leyland bus.
The sound engineering at RRP is just like the rallys cars. Miy Figo for example has a note that gradually gets crisper and louder like the old rally Esteem and Gypy's .
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 15:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

nice review. good to know you are enjoying. Not may would fiddle with a brand new car. But i guess its worth it.
Old 25th January 2012, 18:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
nice review. good to know you are enjoying. Not may would fiddle with a brand new car. But i guess its worth it.
Thank you Gemithomas,

More than a new car, I was worried that a petrol Figo is quite rare since it is low on sales and if any mechanic would be able to do this work on a car they havent touched earlier.
That is when I decided on RRP after visiting their location at Whitefield . Regardless of the more expensive and complex cars they have worked on, they have worked on Fiesta's for rallying when Fiesta's were part of INRC. And a Figo engine is nothing but a scaled down version of a Fiesta so they knew the set up.
And the second worry was about something going wrong during or after the mods and that i'll have to lighten my savings more if it did. Luckily , all that was taken care at RRP and hats off to them in standing by their work, whatever the results.
I expected a bit more power increase, however on an underpowered engine , getting an extra 10hp at the wheels is a good result with basic free intake and exhaust work. With the Fuel pump regualtor, I am expecting to bump up that by another 2-3 hp
Old 1st February 2012, 11:51   #11
BHPian

Would you mind buzzing me before visiting RRP next time? Have been there few times but for different purposes.
Old 1st February 2012, 18:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Would you mind buzzing me before visiting RRP next time? Have been there few times but for different purposes.

Sure, will do.. Will be towards the end of this month or begining or March..

Btw, got a chance to open up the car in second gear. As mentioned, the work seems worth it post 3k rpm. It revvd freely all the way to 4.5-5k rpm and hit 85kmh on the GPS. Good stuff for a 1.2 Ford engine according to me!
Old 2nd February 2012, 00:55   #13
BHPian

Sorry for off-topic but your Figo was featured here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2533219

Do keep this thread updated. I regularly check for updates here. I was planning to order a Cosworth air filter but it seems that you are selling it on classified as you have upgraded to cold air intake. Is it so? Please tell us more about CAI system. Thanks in advance
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

@tharian: I loved reading about this mod job on your petrol Figo. Being the owner of one myself, and being a bit inspired by your experiences, I am very interested in boosting the performance of my ride.

If you want to drive a stock Figo and compare, we could meet up? Let me know.
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
@tharian: I loved reading about this mod job on your petrol Figo. Being the owner of one myself, and being a bit inspired by your experiences, I am very interested in boosting the performance of my ride.

If you want to drive a stock Figo and compare, we could meet up? Let me know.
Hey KiloAlpha,

I would actually want to compare my car with a stock figo to check the differences. I could also let you know the details of the mod job at RRP if you feel the mods are worth it. For me, its like a hot hatch now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Sorry for off-topic but your Figo was featured here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2533219

Do keep this thread updated. I regularly check for updates here. I was planning to order a Cosworth air filter but it seems that you are selling it on classified as you have upgraded to cold air intake. Is it so? Please tell us more about CAI system. Thanks in advance

Yes, that is right DevilsCry, it is up for sale.
Regarding the BMC CAI set up, it is a conical filter with a intake pipe which points down and sits behind the battery. Filter is placed were the stock filter, plastic enclosure was, and another pipe to the engine. Intake noise is minimal and can be heard only with windows rolled up. It will not make a difference with just the CAI, the FFE will need to go with it for maximum benifits. The filter need not be replaced just like k&n, needs to be serviced every 10k kms.
From what I have noticed, the 1.2 Ford engine has torque but is low on revvs unlike the Jap and Korean engines, and it kinda picks up after 3k rpm after which it can be redlined. So a CAI will actually be a dead investment unless a FFE is done as well and to make it come close to a Jap 1.2, a Fuel Pump regulator is for sure required.
Ford could have done a much better job on this scaled down Fiesta engine for sure I feel.
Let me know if you need further info or the results of the mods I have done, will be glad to share.

Most Viewed