Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2012, 17:32   #61
BHPian

re: VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8

Allright, here we go again:

B Pillar Chrome'd

Can't say I'm feeling it all that much. Since I did make the effort I guess I'll keep it on for a few days. If it grows on me, very well or that will be that! What do you guys think?

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-rear-profile.jpg

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-profile.jpg

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-wide-profile.jpg

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-wide-close.jpg

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-front-view.jpg
Ayedongivadam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 18:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post

B Pillar Chrome'd
Hi Aye,
Nice number.

As far as the chrome garnish is concerned - wouldn't say from the snap that it is adding much to an already eye candy of a car. May be because the colour is silver the chrome doesn't seem to be standing out in the snap. Possibly on a black background it could have been a disruptive pattern element.

Incidentally won't it attact unsolicited attention on the roads/parking spots ?
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 18:48   #63
Senior - BHPian

The things is the other parts of the car are so good and elegant that you may not notice the chrome on the B pillar. Chrome along the window lines looks better if there is one.
Old 8th January 2012, 20:10   #64
Team-BHP Support

The Jetta kinda has a black theme with the blacked out headlamps and the wheels too a bit. And also your tints. The chrome doesn't go well at all IMO. I'd lose the extra badge too if I were you. The Jetta is one of the sleekest cars on the road today.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 20:38   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, I spent the day looking for technicians (Car accessory showroom guys) and found one with some experience on a couple of things that I want done. If the dealer says no to my 9WZ kit install, this is the accessory shop I'll be going to for help with running the harness in my car once I have my Ross-tech cable with me.
I'm really inspired by all the things you are doing to the car. This thread has kinda become the "go to" place for any Jetta info.

About the 9WZ kit, i don't think i'll be able to do that with mine because i booked a comfortline and it doesn't come with RCD510. Any idea if this would work with the 300plus ?

If you ask me, the chrome on the B pillars is a little too "bling" for me. It doesn't look out of place, neither is it "in your face" but i feel like it doesn't go that well with the elegant looks of the car.
reventon2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2012, 23:11   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Your car is looking great, and I love the little DIY experiment you have undertaken on the car. However, IMO, the Chrome is looking a little out of place, as is the badge.
In fact, if I were you, I would look at de-badging the car a little. Possibly just keep the VW badge and remove the rest.
Also, add on some high security IND number plates, and your car will look superb!

BTW, in one of the earlier pics - from the MKVI set - the part of the rear right tail light that is on the trunk seems out of line with the part on its right. Any reason for the same?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 11:36   #67
BHPian

First off, my thanks to everyone for their unbiased feedback, appreciate it and keep it coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Aye,
Nice number.

As far as the chrome garnish is concerned - wouldn't say from the snap that it is adding much to an already eye candy of a car. May be because the colour is silver the chrome doesn't seem to be standing out in the snap. Possibly on a black background it could have been a disruptive pattern element.

Incidentally won't it attact unsolicited attention on the roads/parking spots ?
Thank General I went with the number because it was the closest available to my other car's number '666'

I agree with the you on enhancing the visibility of the car (One of the reasons apart from availability and relative low maintenance of the R-Silver decision was to keep it subtle) unfortunately the black B-Pillars of the car weren't designed to be 'Kancha' proof. Mine were scuffed and gouged beyond belief and I decided to give covering them up a shot before I went and replaced them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

I'd lose the extra badge too if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
In fact, if I were you, I would look at de-badging the car a little. Possibly just keep the VW badge and remove the rest.
Also, add on some high security IND number plates, and your car will look superb!

BTW, in one of the earlier pics - from the MKVI set - the part of the rear right tail light that is on the trunk seems out of line with the part on its right. Any reason for the same?
The De-badging is on hold for some warmer weather. Since I don't have access to a power outlet near the car I can't get a heat gun (read Hair Dryer) near the badges to operate on them without hurting my clear coat. The next look for the rear is going to be a complete shave with around 20 - 35 % smoke tints on the taillights. I'm currently thinking out sanding + spray paint vs. film tints.

Yes Lamborghini, that pic actually made me notice the skewed angle of the right side of the trunk, no idea how that happened but I'm going to bring it to the notice of VW service once I go in there to get my other issues addressed:

1. Inadequate cooling + Disproportionate airflow from the front vents. (the left center vent throws approximately 25% less air than the right)
2. Noise from behind the instrument cluster over bad roads.
3. Water seepage into all four door wells (thankfully not inside the car).
Ayedongivadam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 11:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

B Pillar Chrome'd

Can't say I'm feeling it all that much. Since I did make the effort I guess I'll keep it on for a few days. If it grows on me, very well or that will be that! What do you guys think?

Attachment 867238

Attachment 867234

Attachment 867235

Attachment 867236

Attachment 867237
Oops! I am sorry buddy but the chrome doesn't gel well with the overall look of the rest of the car. If it were chrome to cover the whole outline of the window, maybe yes. But this one is a strict no no.

You know what will really look cool on Jetta: Projector headlamps. With the black housing almost ready made (due to the smoked headlamps), all you need to do is to fit the projectors. I think the accessories that look best with the car are the ones that don't look aftermarket-ish.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 9th January 2012 at 11:48.
Old 9th January 2012, 12:07   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
You know what will really look cool on Jetta: Projector headlamps. With the black housing almost ready made (due to the smoked headlamps), all you need to do is to fit the projectors.....
Thanks Abhi, I agree HID's in proctors would be great. Unfortunately the Jetta headlamp unit unlike others is not a simple 'Bake & Open' job. Requires some cutting up. I don't want to do it on my own yet as I've mentioned earlier for the lack of a sterile environment at most places I've evaluated. I guess I will wait for a little while to check out some higher end workshops or maybe just pick up the 'Jetta Hybrid's' headlight unit later in the year once it debut's somewhere.
Old 9th January 2012, 12:38   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Q. Since you got Skoda service to run the 9W7 harness from under the floor carpet to the back of the Bolero, would you happen to have any photos of the act? Were any modifications/splits required to be made to the Harness? Where did you plant the Mic unit, does the Laura also have the mic installed overhead in the Map-Light console?
Sorry. Got no pics of the fitting process. Yes the mic slots in perfectly to the slot in the overhead light console. No wires or mic popping out like the after market ones. Everything worked perfectly immediately after setting it up but i got some errors on my 77- telephone module. But with the help of the ross tech support staff i made some coding adjustments and now i have no errors!
You'll absolutely love the voice control function in this BT kit!
Make sure you get the official VW installation instruction manual from your seller.
PM me if you need help with the coding.

Attaching a pic
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-mic.jpg
vinj14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 17:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Make sure you get the official VW installation instruction manual from your seller.
PM me if you need help with the coding.
Thanks again Vinj! Would you happen to have a digitized copy of the instruction manual? My BT kit did not come with it. And I will PM you for help if I run afoul of the coding. Cheers mate.
Old 13th January 2012, 18:02   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again Vinj! Would you happen to have a digitized copy of the instruction manual? My BT kit did not come with it. And I will PM you for help if I run afoul of the coding. Cheers mate.
PM me your email address . I have the manual in a PDF format. I can mail it to you.
vinj14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 18:13   #73
BHPian

Package The Christmas cheer is here.

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-goody-box.jpg

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-goodies.jpg

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-all-row.jpg

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-gauge.jpg

Too bad the Festoons and the Wedge's are of the wrong type and size - Guess the DIY pictorial I wanted to put up on here will have to wait for now.
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-ziza-bulbs.jpg

In the meanwhile will put in the City Lights and give you guys feedback if they actually work without throwing an error.
Old 13th January 2012, 21:27   #74
BHPian

Hi Aye,
Congrats on getting the lights. Looking forward to your DIY's.
The chrome garnish looks a bit tacky IMO. The Jetta is a car which has a lot of class and style, if I were you, I'd keep it simple

We would really appreciate it if you could do a DIY on the replacement of the DRL's!
Old 13th January 2012, 23:13   #75
BHPian

Hey, on a slightly different topic. You mentioned that you are getting lights out error from installing the license plate lights. Did you get it fixed? If you did, how?
Looking forward to your DIYs (hopefully license plate lights and drls).
There has been ANOTHER delay in delivering my car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks