Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2011, 16:02   #1
BHPian

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8

I have had my VeeDub for some three months now but, before I get started on the How, why, when and the other aspects of my buying as well as initial ownership experience I would like to make it clear that I WASN'T in the market for a new car when I finalized and booked my wheels. Which is not to say that I wasn't paying attention to the launches in the country or wasn't feeling a little quickening of the pulse at the sight of some C+ / D segment models, just that I was mentally more prepared to fork out the greens come mid CY 2012 and not before.

Well, since this post is here you all have a pretty fair idea how that went and how resolute I am! I guess, when it comes to something I want, Ayedongivadam!

A little background first. In my approx 20 years of being aboard fossil powered mechanical contraptions I've experienced the following:
1. Kinetic Honda - approx '92 (Inherited from my brother when he left to join the NDA) - SOLD
2. Royal Enfield AVL 350 - approx '95 (Traded up) - SOLD (I miss her so bad)
3. Contessa Classic - approx '97 (Dont ask how I manged this, then ) - SOLD
4. Tata Sierra (98) / Tata Estate (96) / HM Ambassador Isuzu (97) / Maruti 1000 (96) (Mum & Dads cars not exclusively with me) - SOLD, last being the Sierra in early 2010 the ODO had ticked over twice .

To add to the list I've personally owned the following
1. Mazda 626 (Aus - Liftback) SOLD moving out of Oz.
2. Ford Ikon Zxi Nxt - 2003 first set of own wheels back in IN. Currently my brothers daily drive.
3. Suzuki SX4 Zxi - 2007 as I needed a larger car to accommodate a larger girth not forgetting the addition we were about to make to my family within a month then.
4. The VeeDub MKVI Jetta H'line DSG R-Silver - which is why we are here!

The pics that follow are a mix of Cell-phone and camera, neither of which have turned out well because I seriously stuffed up the re-sizing job. I apologize.

I'm posting these pics together to highlight primarily why I choose this excellent color for my car, I admit I was very very tempted by the 'Toffee Braun' too but then that would have been too much for me to maintain. I simply love the bluish tinge the paint has which gives it a range of shades in and out as well as with varying degrees of sunlight.

Booking + Finalization

The Jetta MKVI was launched out of the blue for me; I have a friend working with VW GSI and he had given me a much later date around October/November as the intended launch date. This was just fine for my plans of picking up my new wheels around mid 2012.

Imagine my surprise when I get a call from another friend (Auto junkie) stating that the Jetta's out and ready to go at dealerships in Pune, by which time this friend had also found out the approximate Ex-Showroom of the models on offer and formed an opinion from the shape, cost et. al. All he wanted me to do was come along so that he could have company when he finally FIRST laid eyes on it.

Well soon, in a day or so we found ourselves in Vidyut Motors to behold the 'New Jetta' with our own eyes. I didn't know it that time but the data sheet was mostly wrong (remember the GC spec?), my opinionated friend whilst going around the car could only compare it with a Vento and I'm guessing parrot what he'd read online somewhere. While I'm listening to him and looking around the car I'm in 'Huh' mode to whatever statement my friend was making e.g.
Friend (F). This looks so like the Vento!
Me (M). HUH?
F. It is too low, only 149 cms!
M. HUH?
F. Hard plastics!
M. HUH?
and so on and so forth! I came back from that initial exposure to the car with one thought in my mind - 'I wouldn't mind if she was mine!' Thus began my search out of the blue. Though I was enamored by the Jetta, I was going to use her specifications and evaluate some of the other machines out there. The first thing I did was put an upper limit to what I wanted to spend. Decided no more than 2 Million INR and it would have to be an Auto.

The Running mates to the Jetta (In order of preference):
1. Chevy Cruze
Great Car, have liked the looks for some time and still do. I have absolutely no problems with the lag that some people mention but then I was evaluating Autos only. The electronics (Options) are awesome, KESSY a huge plus. Sunroof allright, but in our country better kept closed. What I didn't like was the manufacturers frugality when it comes to Driver and Passenger safety, rear bench entering / exiting which my head bumped hard as well as the rear did not feel too plush even with the all new black interiors. The configuration I would get if it came to that would cost me INR 1.89 Million Corp. with the accessories and the ICE upgrade. My dealership experience was quite nice, whenever I showed up at the showroom. Over email or for quotes It was left to me to follow them up.

2. Skoda Laura
Another great car, good option, good safety, nice looks, similar bloodline being VAG - Didn't get too much into it primarily because of the dated model and imminent change and due to the reputation of the service centers. This was the car the revamp of which I was most looking forward to come 2012 and my original plan to purchase a car.

3. Honda Civic
I've liked this car since it was launched (even though I don't like Honda too much), I eventually thought I would get this one day, my most recent chance being the last time I bought a car (SX4 MY2007) but then the baby happened and I went the practical route. This time around Honda apathy towards the civic did me in.

4. Corolla Altis
If you drive it, you would know why I didnt pick it. That being said, without prejudice to any and all; If I wanted a chauffeur drive (I don't think I ever will) or was replacing my parents ride or getting a C seg for the Wife and Kids I would pick this.

Well after the test drives of the 'Also Ran's', which saw me TD the Chevy Cruze a fair few number of times, it was time to TD the Jetta for the first time. I saved the Jetta for last because I wanted to go into the rest of the TD's with an open Mind.

On a Side Note (Since I'm at Home, I'm not going to drive, its evening and I'm editing a W.I.P thread to which I've been too innumerable times now I decided to sit down with a drink and finish the Dealership and Booking experience including the TD - Well somehow I pressed the back button to erase something and somehow the cursor was outside the edit/text box and I ended up loosing close to a page of my completed review [Seems more like an Essay, I hear you say!] Oh well, a refill and much banging of the keyboard later, here I am again.) read on if you aren't asleep yet, you gluttons for punishment.

So I find myself going back to the dealership I first visited to have a look at the New Jetta. They refused to take me seriously, the sales person cost his dealership a serious customer by hemming and hawing about the Delivery Date, non-availability of a TD vehicle and to top it promising me a refund of monies in case VW declared a Corp. discount sometime in the future as there was nothing on offer now (in this time and state of the automobile industry?) Even after leaving my business card with them asking them to please get back to me with the requisite information there was no follow up at any point in time. Their Loss!

I walk into the only other dealership in Pune for VW a day or so later and I was pleasantly surprised. They were professional, courteous and experienced. At this point in time my priority were a TD, Color panels/samples and the commercials. Without inconveniencing me any further by trying to verify whether I was a genuine buyer or not, I was promptly informed of the current Corp. discount which to my surprise was INR 55K. With a promise of release of full payment (Without tying the payment to a VIN) I was assured to be bumped up on the TD list as soon as a TD vehicle came in.

Very very soon, one fine damp morning I see a suited dealership employee standing beside a Candy White outside my building. I promptly put the GC clearance and the suspension to the test (After of course having explained to the sales manager as well as the driver what I was going to do and making sure they belted up) on some roads nearby, proceeded next to test the DSG in all its transmission modes on the Nagar road. The final test was of the ESP. I had a stretch in mind with gravel on which the ABS+EBD of my SX4 had kicked in a couple of times. The TD was all colors flying! As promised by me I the next day I authorized payment to the dealer to have my Jetta ordered ready for delivery. This was sometime early September, I did not know it but I hadn't crossed all hurdles all bridged all chasms yet between me and my Jetta.

I don't know why, but Ayedongivadam (see how useful the handle is) there is a period in our calendar which is very inauspicious or so my parents and the wife tell me!!! My Jetta was waiting at the dealers stockyard, out in the September sun and I could not get to her till another long wait. Ugh, the agony!

The day came about (Sept. 28th) that everyone at home finally allowed me to go and fetch her from the dealer's. Reached there first thing in the morning, Yes I made sure I would be the first to take delivery of ANY vehicle. I hate ques. I would like to commend the dealership personnel here again as they were present at my requested time early in the morning and also made sure to take me through the warranty details, general information hand me business cards for customer service, workshop head et. al. The delivery was in the basement where my spic and span car awaited with a huge garland around her. After the customary photograph of the key handing over ceremony, box of great chocolates and a gift (which turned out to be a nice tea cup set) I finally got into the car for the drive home and another set of religious / traditional rituals.
She's @ Home
Cutting this down for now as I've had my car for a couple of months and I plan on making this thread a (borrowing a leaf from some illustrious members) log book of what I experience with my car, including the retrofits I have planned and am yet to plan:
The Why of why I committed myself to my Jetta:
1. Safety features + 5 Star safety rating (8 Airbags in the SRS package + ESP)
2. DSG (You have to experience its spectrum and not just in a TD)
3. Handling and Ride (Although a little stiff in the city, she's just butter on open roads)
4. Fuel Economy (Not a criteria but what a bonus, absolute Gold)
5. I.C.E (No upgrade required, this is me 'fessing up I'm old but this again is Gold with its 8 speaker system)
6. Interiors (Could have been slightly better, but good enough, Also could have provided color choices and full leather option)

What I would like to see in future versions (And hopefully have enough dough to option on in my car) basically a Wish List
1. 17" and more (The wheel gap is horrendous)
2. RNS510 (So I'm not forced into an unsightly mess in my car)
3. HID lamp set (I may not need them with the current lights on the car, but heck I want them!)
4. Full range of accessories (Tired of going through customs every time, I even had my rear foot mats shipped in from the US)
5. Digital Display A/C just for the coolness factor (I don't say A.C.C. because I don't find it much use in our country conditions. I mean I don't want the car electronics to decide if I want to smell an open sewage on my pleasant drive for me. I thank you very much, I can do that all by myself. I've never used the single zone auto climate on my SX4 precisely because of this)
6. Pinch prevention control for the existing all Auto Up/Down windows

My thanks if you made it this far! I appreciate your patience and know without a doubt you are a true wheel nut! Congratulations! Stay tuned for my log of the light upgrades I have already performed on the car. I should if VW helps me out be soon posting a log of the addition of the 9WZ module to my car (Bluetooth + Voice) which I have already ordered and received, otherwise I have to find someone skilled enough to snake the wires around the car and wait till my Ross-Tech cable gets here.

Teaser below :P Yes, those are LED's in the City/Parking lights!

Last edited by Ayedongivadam : 14th December 2011 at 20:14.
Ayedongivadam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 15:59   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8

Thanks for sharing! Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial ownerships forum

BTW, nice handle. Credit to Bblost for decoding it (I don't give a damn)
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 16:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice intro to the ride there! Very well worded and aptly written!
Congratulations on the VeeDub. Nice choice of color there.

For some reason, the pics cant be seen. Is it only me?

Wish you many safe miles with the Jetta. Hope to meet you soon in one of the Pune meets.
As said on your intro thread, nice handle .
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 18:09   #4
BHPian

That's quite some article for not givvin a damn.. lol..
Seriously detailed article and I must agree with most of your points. Having taken myself, just a few days ago i do feel a lot of goodies missing in this one, especially when I pit it against my Superb.

The seat memory is the first of a long list of features that one would expect in a car that costs over 20 lacs; and most of them simple ones.
- Climatronic A/C
- Navigation (atleast optional)
- perforated leather
- driver side glove box
- power passenger seat
- hydraulic assist for opening/closing the hood
- etc etc

I was also pleasantly surprised with some of the smart features in the car tho;
- the iPod dock
- modified steering controls (the rollers on the Superb cause for several unwanted changes, esp during turning)
- better rear seating comfort (compared to the laura)
- convenient boot release button (inside the cabin)

I have to admit that the power and handling of the car truly live up to the price tag. The steering, though a little heavy at low speeds, feels well balanced and in-control at higher speeds. Not too chunky or heavy, must say it is just right.

The one feature that I miss most during night driving is the adaptive headlights and then there is also the missing auto-dimming of the side view mirrors (which also don't automatically fold).

All in all, it has been a good experience thus far considering that fact that the entire process of purchasing took just 2 days (yes I didn't miss an additional digit there; day 1 test drive, model selection, handing over of cheque, day 2, delivery of car that was available, ex-stock) a good discount (oh! btw another irresistible offer - a Passat Highline free with the Phateon) , a warm welcome and send off at the dealership, post delivery feed back calls etc. makes you feel good about the purchase and then there is also the 'badge' value.

Will be giving more updates on the Jetta over the next few weeks, maybe i'll even throw in a long drive somewhere.

Keep revin..
Couper72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 19:20   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice write up ayedongivadam . Congratulations on your new ride. One of these days I am going to go take a TD of the DSG on the new Jetta. I hope the ghosts of the older DSG have been laid to sleep finally. Hey the pics are not visible.
Old 17th December 2011, 04:52   #6
BHPian

Ayedongivadam, thank you for the thread at last. Have been eagerly waiting for your thread since the time you mentioned that its in the process, as you had promised to describe the add ons and mods you are doing on the car. The article itself is pretty well written, but somehow the photos are not showing up. Hope you did follow the right procedure and uploaded the pics straight onto the forum instead of some photosharing/uploading websites.

That said, I myself have yet to finish the ownership thread of my already month and a half old Jetta. So hard pressed with time, but I'm resolute as well. So it will come up thought I guess by the time the Jetta wont be as new and the public interest to a Jetta thread wont be that eager. More so after the already existing ones by the pros in the forum, and also now that your thread is up, with all the juicy info that you promise to share, any other Jetta thread is set to be overlooked!

Nice to know how you reached your decision and the dealership experience, but honestly I am more eager to see those LEDs in action. So please put up those photos ASAP.
Old 17th December 2011, 08:56   #7
BHPian

Hi Guys, first off thanks for your feedback on the thread, appreciate it. On the photograph's I'm not sure why they aren't showing up to you, as they are uploaded on T-BHP server and are visible to me! Could you elaborate a bit? Can you see the placeholders for the image(s)? Can you make out where in between the post are the images embedded? I'll put up some more images soon to rectify this as I cant edit the opening post anymore.
Old 17th December 2011, 20:19   #8
BHPian

I see holders for 3 images./ The broken icon of a web image... thats it... 2 at the beginning and 1 at the end.

Just delete them and reload them in a new post.... aaah, sorry now you cannot edit your post, I forgot.

Hmm, just upload a new post then...
druk75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 22:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post
Can you see the placeholders for the image(s)?
I can't see the place holders even. You could add all the pics in a new post and request the Mods to move the images into the first post. Awaiting your pics.
Old 18th December 2011, 09:25   #10
BHPian

Posting Pics:
These are to highlight the subtle shades of the R-Silver. The hint of blue in the color give the car a range of shades in varying degrees as well as in and out of sunlight.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-profile.jpg  

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-pdi.jpg  

Ayedongivadam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 11:34   #11
BHPian

Hey Ayedongivadam,
Your car look fantastic! Congratulations.
Could you please post some pictures and details of the LED DRL's? It would be really helpful.
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 17:46   #12
BHPian

Thanks again for your comments:
Pics of the LED Job: Please note I'm getting 'Bulb Out' Error on the MFD with the yellow glow light on the console because of the License plate and the City lights being swapped out. Since all the lights are working I'm carrying on with the LED's as I consider the warning just a minor irritant till I get some error free bulbs ordered.

DRL's
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-drl.jpg

DRL Comparison (Stock vs LED)
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-drl-comparision.jpg

DRL close up in housing
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-drl-inhousing.jpg

City Lights (Bulb out error)
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-city-lights.jpg

City LED with Stock Low beams
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-low-city.jpg

License Plate Lights (Bulb Out error)
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-license-plates.jpg

Overheads
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-overheads.jpg

Maps
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-map.jpg
Ayedongivadam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2011, 23:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car! Its raining Jetta's on the forum. Loved your write-up and your handle name wish you many safe miles in your new car. The LED's are looking real good. Once concern though, aren't they a little too bright for the interiors ? Or is it the cam which makes them appear very bright ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 18th December 2011 at 23:25.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 01:38   #14
BHPian

Thank you ayedongivadam. Much appreciated. And your car looks fabulous.

The LEDs are a must have, I have decided. Even the city lights and Number plate lights look gorgeous. Especially the number plate lights add a dynamism to the rear. Are you using ECS tuning lights for the number plates? If so, and they are showing errors, how do you propose to overcome this issue? Like you said in the other thread, the resistor cables? But would that mean cutting wires somewhere? In the comparison photo from the front, the LED looks much brighter, though you said they are not as bright as the stock yellow lights?
Old 19th December 2011, 09:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations ayedongivadam Nice handle

What are the names of the dealers who missed a customer and who gained one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post
5. Digital Display A/C just for the coolness factor (I don't say A.C.C. because I don't find it much use in our country conditions. I mean I don't want the car electronics to decide if I want to smell an open sewage on my pleasant drive for me. I thank you very much, I can do that all by myself. I've never used the single zone auto climate on my SX4 precisely because of this)
ACC doesnt switch between inner circulation and external air source mode (atleast not in my FIL's i20). It just maintains the inner temperature to the one set. You can choose if you want inner circulation mode or not.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 19th December 2011 at 09:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks