Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2012, 09:08   #76
BHPian

re: VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
We would really appreciate it if you could do a DIY on the replacement of the DRL's!
Hi DeKay, if I can get the camera into the cramped space to snap a couple of pics I will certainly post up a pictorial for the DRL. Let me see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
Hey, on a slightly different topic. You mentioned that you are getting lights out error from installing the license plate lights. Did you get it fixed? If you did, how?
Looking forward to your DIYs (hopefully license plate lights and drls).
There has been ANOTHER delay in delivering my car.
The Lights out error for the City and License plate lights will be fixed by the installation of the new bulbs that I've ordered from ECS tuning. If you scroll up to the photographs of the light bulbs you will see a long'ish set of bulbs (This wire carries the capacitor that draws a bit more current ofsetting the bulb out warining for the city lights) Unfortunately as I've mentioned above I was shipped the wrong type of bulbs for the License plate lights and the map lights. I did shoot off a mail to ECS and they rectified the error by shipping out replacement lights at no extra cost to me. Great customer service!
Old 14th January 2012, 12:11   #77
BHPian

Hey geys I am going to attend the TBHP Drive to Igatpuri tomorrow. Can expect any Jettr's to attend it?
Old 14th January 2012, 18:11   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Hey geys I am going to attend the TBHP Drive to Igatpuri tomorrow. Can expect any Jettr's to attend it?
Ugh, would have if it weren't all the way over on the other side of the map and that too its just now that I've come to know of it! I thought you Mumbaikar's were planning a trip somewhere off Lonavla? Have fun, be safe.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:34   #79
BHPian

Got the City Light Kit installed, am happy to report the Light out error for the front lights is no longer present on my MFD and these lights are a little brighter to boot than the inexpensive china makes I had in previously.

For those of you interested a pictorial DIY.

City Lights out of the wrapping and within easy reach.
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-city-lights.jpg

The city light bulbs are located in the High Beam housing pictured below:
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-hb-housing.jpg

It's the soft rubber cap covered 'peel off style' housing as opposed to the Hard Plastic twist style cover for the Low Beam housing.
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-hb-cover-open.jpg

Once open this is what the insides look like. You need to reach in with two fingers and gently tug on the two wires in the upper corner of housing above the High Beam bulb. Don't fight it, it doesn't take much to 'pop' them out. Key word 'Gently'.
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-hb-innards.jpg

Pull out the stock bulbs and push in the white connector end of the City Lights - Switch on your parking light and test the bulbs before you pop them back in, LED's have polarity and may need to be reversed 180 degrees in the connector before they work. Once you have them working reverse procedure to pop the bulb back into its slot - Again all it will take is a gentle push into its receptacle and it stays firm. It helps if you are at eye level with the light housing and using your finger to guide the bulb into its socket.

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-city-light-profile.jpg

Snap! I apologize I forgot to wipe my HL lens before I took this.
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-lo-beam-city-light.jpg
Ayedongivadam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 18:17   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
The skoda guys here retroffited my multifunction steering with paddles, 9w7 bluetooth kit, and a touchscreen bolero system for my laura dsg elegance. All with official job cards and labour charges. Obviously i had to buy all the parts and convince them they were original skoda parts. If you can convice them then there's no need to worry about your warranty. Also if any coding is involved i suggest you do it by yourself using vcds because VAS isnt very user friendly.
But i was extremely lucky because the skoda service manager here was extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
This post left me scratching my head for a minute before reading it again very closely.

I saw green backlight controls and was wondering whatever happened to the VW red ones??

Which then brings us to a pertinent question. We have seen this BT module successfully fitted into Skodas, like your Laura and a couple Yetis, but what does the screen look like on the VW?

Does it automatically take on a red theme?

Maybe someone could give a damn and share some pics of the install on the Jetta?
Old 22nd January 2012, 09:34   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
This post left me scratching my head for a minute before reading it again very closely.

I saw green backlight controls and was wondering whatever happened to the VW red ones??

Which then brings us to a pertinent question. We have seen this BT module successfully fitted into Skodas, like your Laura and a couple Yetis, but what does the screen look like on the VW?

Does it automatically take on a red theme?

Maybe someone could give a damn and share some pics of the install on the Jetta?
Hi Crackingride, Honest mistake, the fascia of the Skoda system is quite similar to the VW setup probably because of them coming from the same family. The difference being a couple of buttons here and there and of course the back-lighting.

To answer your question although I do not yet have the 9WZ installed in my car I have seen factory fitments and retrofits in a couple of cars abroad and they do take on the color hue of the original RCD/RNS unit they plug into. Its like a color theme that gets applied on a windows desktop.
Old 22nd January 2012, 10:45   #82
BHPian

Once again, excellent DIY!

I am taking delivery of the car this thursday. Even though i booked a comfort line, i upgraded to high line coz i didn't wanna wait for another month to get the car.
reventon2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 12:27   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Once again, excellent DIY!

I am taking delivery of the car this thursday. Even though i booked a comfort line, i upgraded to high line coz i didn't wanna wait for another month to get the car.
Thanks and Congratulations Reventon. You will have a great time with the car I'm sure. I will be looking forward to your ownership thread and pictures eagerly. Did you go all the way to the DSG?
Old 22nd January 2012, 17:49   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks and Congratulations Reventon. You will have a great time with the car I'm sure. I will be looking forward to your ownership thread and pictures eagerly. Did you go all the way to the DSG?
Thanks. I have already started working on it. Will upload as soon as i clock a few miles on it.
The dealer only had a white high line MT in stock, so that's what i'm getting. Waiting any longer seemed like a torture, especially considering that it has been almost two months already! Plus, they gave me a HUUUUGE discount on the car.
Old 22nd January 2012, 23:50   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I have already started working on it. Will upload as soon as i clock a few miles on it.
The dealer only had a white high line MT in stock, so that's what i'm getting. Waiting any longer seemed like a torture, especially considering that it has been almost two months already! Plus, they gave me a HUUUUGE discount on the car.
Congratulations reventon! Could you please elaborate on the discount and the final cost please?
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 02:27   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010

Can u elaborate on the discount. I am not aware of anybody getting anything other than corporate discount on any versions of Jetta. I am interested in Jetta and will most probably be in for it sooner rather than later. Share the details if you can here or else PM me please
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:46   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Can u elaborate on the discount. I am not aware of anybody getting anything other than corporate discount on any versions of Jetta. I am interested in Jetta and will most probably be in for it sooner rather than later. Share the details if you can here or else PM me please
I too have not heard of any discounts on the new Jetta. However dealers are offering fairly large discounts on the older version of Jetta and it is readily available. I had an option of going for the old Highline MT Jetta with a discount of 1.6 lacs which was tempting but then I wanted the DSG with paddle shifters
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:13   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
I too have not heard of any discounts on the new Jetta. However dealers are offering fairly large discounts on the older version of Jetta and it is readily available. I had an option of going for the old Highline MT Jetta with a discount of 1.6 lacs which was tempting but then I wanted the DSG with paddle shifters
Yup neither have I heard of any fantastic discounts on the current line-up, nor do I think any drastically re-worked Jetta is going to show up anytime soon for the dealers to start liquidating stock.

Reventon is your discount in the range as below? If better than that is just spectacular.
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-tax-note.jpg
Old 23rd January 2012, 21:31   #89
BHPian

It's such a long story. Currently, there are absolutely NO DISCOUNTS?OFFERS on the new Jetta. But mine was a special case and they agreed to bear half the price difference between the comfortline and highline because it was their mistake. I will put up a detailed review in a few days. Anyways, after many frantic calls to everyone at the dealership, my case was forwarded to the deputy manager and dealt with him directly the whole time. He went way out of his way to help me with the situation and offered to pay half the price difference(~90k of the total 1.7lac). I'm still holding my breath. Hopefully, i'll relax better after thursday. If you have any specific question, please PM me because i don't want to put up the details until i get the car.
Old 23rd January 2012, 23:24   #90
BHPian

Quote:
It's such a long story. Currently, there are absolutely NO DISCOUNTS?OFFERS on the new Jetta. But mine was a special case and they agreed to bear half the price difference between the comfortline and highline because it was their mistake. I will put up a detailed review in a few days. Anyways, after many frantic calls to everyone at the dealership, my case was forwarded to the deputy manager and dealt with him directly the whole time. He went way out of his way to help me with the situation and offered to pay half the price difference(~90k of the total 1.7lac). I'm still holding my breath. Hopefully, i'll relax better after thursday. If you have any specific question, please PM me because i don't want to put up the details until i get the car.
Turns our you're a very lucky chap, mate! Looking forward to your ownership log. I hope they start giving out discounts on the Jetta soon like Skoda.

Most Viewed