Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 02:32   #91
BHPian

re: VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8

does the new jetta highline have electric folding mirrors?

Thanks..
Old 24th January 2012, 09:25   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
It's such a long story. Currently, there are absolutely NO DISCOUNTS?OFFERS on the new Jetta. But mine was a special case and they agreed to bear half the price difference between the comfortline and highline because it was their mistake. I will put up a detailed review in a few days. Anyways, after many frantic calls to everyone at the dealership, my case was forwarded to the deputy manager and dealt with him directly the whole time. He went way out of his way to help me with the situation and offered to pay half the price difference(~90k of the total 1.7lac). I'm still holding my breath. Hopefully, i'll relax better after thursday. If you have any specific question, please PM me because i don't want to put up the details until i get the car.
Thanks for the information and that is an awesome deal you've got! This also speaks volumes about the management at your dealership. All the best to you and hope you get your delivery as planned. Looking forward to your review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
does the new jetta highline have electric folding mirrors? Thanks..
Hi Berj, yes the Jetta comes with electric folding mirrors, though you have to flick a switch from the inside every time you want them to.
Ayedongivadam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 19:57   #93
BHPian

Ok! Now I need to find myself a sterile environment for the next DIY

Tail Light Tints

Unfortunately I do not have a garage for my car nor a workbench outside. Wouldn't want the paint coats getting layers of dust while I'm working. Well I do have a little more time, till the 'ingredients' for my next project show up, to find a secure and clean environment. I also need some more tools, masking tape and sandpaper before I can get started, this I will be sourcing locally to keep costs down. As usual will keep you guys posted!

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-tail-tints.jpg

This would be the effect I'm after (Pic courtesy the Wide Wide Web! )
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-evoms_cayman_tintedtails.jpg

Last edited by Ayedongivadam : 24th January 2012 at 20:06. Reason: Added pic.
Old 24th January 2012, 20:21   #94
BHPian

I really admire the Tail lights of the Jetta. IMO, they are one of the most beautiful ones on the road today. If I were you, I would leave them alone Ayedongivadam. But this is just my personal opinion. Whatever works for you, mate!
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 21:12   #95
Team-BHP Support

The one thing I'll never tint is my tail lights, especially not in India. Considering the way people drive here I want the brightest of lights to hit their face as soon as I brake. With a tint the light is reduced, and for me thats not acceptable. Though yes it does look great.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 21:17   #96
BHPian

Just did a bit of PS here with my car's photo. Couldn't go any darker owing to my limited Photoshop skills.

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-dsc_4161-copy-3.jpg

P.S. please excuse me for posting an image in your thread.
lamboguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 21:32   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I really admire the Tail lights of the Jetta. IMO, they are one of the most beautiful ones on the road today. If I were you, I would leave them alone Ayedongivadam. But this is just my personal opinion. Whatever works for you, mate!
Thanks DK but I do think the tints will look smashing on the already great design of the Jetta tail. We will just have to wait and see. Cheers for your feedback, appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The one thing I'll never tint is my tail lights, especially not in India. Considering the way people drive here I want the brightest of lights to hit their face as soon as I brake. With a tint the light is reduced, and for me thats not acceptable. Though yes it does look great.
Akshay, the tints are translucent turning back to original red once lit. I do have a LED upgrade for the bulbs to not compromise on visibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Just did a bit of PS here with my car's photo. Couldn't go any darker owing to my limited Photoshop skills.

Attachment 876539

P.S. please excuse me for posting an image in your thread.
Thanks Lambo for the pic, it helps . I intend to go a couple of shades lower/lighter than what you've pictured. Plus I will be leaving the reverse light slot alone.
Old 24th January 2012, 21:37   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post

Akshay, the tints are translucent turning back to original red once lit. I do have a LED upgrade for the bulbs to not compromise on visibility.
Agreed but I am reasonably sure some of the brightness will be lost. The best way to check is maybe for you to take a photo now and after you do the process. I hope you are right.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:56   #99
BHPian

Respected Members : What do you think of GTI badging on the front grill as my Jetta looks a little plain ( TL) no chrome garnish upfront. I know GTI is for the Golf but it looks cool with the Rabbit ( nickname for the Golf GTI) .Also the TL has no housing for DRL's so thinking of putting some stand alone DRL's. Your thoughts please. Also inspired by this thread to put some LED number plate bulbs. Saw some from Philips at Reliance Autozone but dont trust the workmanship there as have already screwed up my sunflim installation which needed to be removed and reinstalled again.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-vwrabbitgtigrill.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 25th January 2012, 19:00   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHawk View Post
Respected Members : What do you think of GTI badging on the front grill as my Jetta looks a little plain ( TL) no chrome garnish upfront. I know GTI is for the Golf but it looks cool with the Rabbit ( nickname for the Golf GTI) .Also the TL has no housing for DRL's so thinking of putting some stand alone DRL's. Your thoughts please. Also inspired by this thread to put some LED number plate bulbs. Saw some from Philips at Reliance Autozone but dont trust the workmanship there as have already screwed up my sunflim installation which needed to be removed and reinstalled again.
Hi Madhawk, badging it, if you feel like it sure go ahead, but why not invest your time and money into putting on a badge that belongs there. Look up 'eurobadegz' or 'ECS tuning' for options. The former ships cheaper. But instead of badging the front, why not just buy a roll of chrome strip of ebay and chrome strip the front grill? In any case whatever you do while badging is reversible, so don't worry too much.

Now to the question of the LED's. Be advised you need error free bulbs (Canbus compliant) for the city lights as well as the registration plate lights. Otherwise you will have an angry MFD starting back at you with a glowing yellow light on the instrument cluster. :-)
Old 25th January 2012, 20:11   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its all personal preferences, but if you ask an opinion, I will have to say that these updates looks a bit tacky on the classy Jetta. Especially the GTI badge, that too with the Rabbit name. If you really want to get the car a different look, try for the GLI badge and honeycomb grill.
Old 26th January 2012, 10:04   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Madhawk, First of all a huge congratulations on getting the Jetta. I hope you put up an ownership review soon!
I highly recommend ecs tuning. Instead of the Rabbit badge, try a Red GLI badge for the back. It will look really classy. And if I were you, I would just replace the DRL's with LED's and get a nice GLI badge for the back. Anyways, keep us all updated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayedongivadam View Post
Hi Madhawk, badging it, if you feel like it sure go ahead, but why not invest your time and money into putting on a badge that belongs there. Look up 'eurobadegz' or 'ECS tuning' for options. The former ships cheaper. But instead of badging the front, why not just buy a roll of chrome strip of ebay and chrome strip the front grill? In any case whatever you do while badging is reversible, so don't worry too much.

Now to the question of the LED's. Be advised you need error free bulbs (Canbus compliant) for the city lights as well as the registration plate lights. Otherwise you will have an angry MFD starting back at you with a glowing yellow light on the instrument cluster. :-)
How do you know whether a bulb is canbus compliant or not? I had asked you earlier regarding the DRL's and you told me that one needs to use 1156 68SMD LED which have an input of 12V isn't it?

Can you please take a look at these and tell me whether these are the ones to use or not? A friend just bought a highline DSG and wants to change the DRL's desperately!

1156 S-White 68 SMD LED Light Bulb Backup Reverse 7506 | eBay
Old 26th January 2012, 17:57   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
How do you know whether a bulb is canbus compliant or not? I had asked you earlier regarding the DRL's and you told me that one needs to use 1156 68SMD LED which have an input of 12V isn't it?

Can you please take a look at these and tell me whether these are the ones to use or not? A friend just bought a highline DSG and wants to change the DRL's desperately!

1156 S-White 68 SMD LED Light Bulb Backup Reverse 7506 | eBay
Yes, these will work. In my experience the large number of emitters on the DRL bulbs draw enough power for there not be a error code thrown on the MFD. I have not heard of anyone getting a 'Light Out Code' because of swapping out the DRL's.

The bulbs that require an inbuilt capacitor to not throw error codes are the 'City Lights', 'Registration Plate Lights' and any other exterior bulbs.
Ayedongivadam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2012, 13:27   #104
BHPian

Put in the Ziza LED's today. Am feeling a little disappointed as the residual current is still present in the interior bulbs, the registration plate lights now throw an error intermittently a small change from the always on 'bulb out' light on the dash.

Well a couple of hundred dollars down and tons of bulbs at hand. I think I ought to put in a little more thought before I try out anything more on the LED front. In the meanwhile since I have the bulbs to spare, if anyone needs a few installed in their Jetta - drop me a line and will put them in at no cost. This will at least give me an opportunity to check if the problem is unique to my car.
Old 28th January 2012, 16:10   #105
BHPian

Dear All : Thank you for your responses. Highly appreciate it and am so glad that after sitting on the fence for the last 5 years have finally joined the Team BHP community. Must confess that Team BHP played a big role in me going for the Jetta .

Dekay thank you for your kind wishes. I will get down to putting up an ownership thread very soon and my experience with VW and the anguish I had to go through once the dealer refused delivery till March after commiting a 2011 delivery. I have upgraded the rubber to Michelin Primacy LC today with Nitrogen , Kagu 3D mats ( once again thanks to the forum members), Sunfilm from LLumar and reverse parking sensors from RD ( which I am regretting as the damn things are not effective at all compared to AutoCop).

Ayedongivadamn ( love your handle ) : I agree with your views and will look up the badging options as suggested .Also I was not aware of the chrome strip and will search ebay for the same.Thank you for that. Like someone said earlier you seem to be the Go To person for anything on the New Jetta.

VB-San :The GTI badge was an impulsive buy on ebay as the price was tempting ( 200 Rs) .

The LED's I had in mind even before I bought the car but will now wait as I dont want an angry MFD for now. I was really disappointed that the TL does not have a DRL bulb housing . Why would VW do that therefore thought of the standalone DRL's on the front air dam but too scared of the wiring et al currently.

The car drives like a dream, though i don't use it much for my daily commute currently as GGN roads are non existent and the other day saw a Piaggio share auto scrape the entire side of a black Bentley near the office during rush hour .
Just an question , is this the same type of engine in a different state of tune that does duty on the A4 and even A6 now ?
Attached Thumbnails
VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-jetta-hl-tl-640x480.jpg  

VW Jetta MKVI DSG - Update: DIY Mods and Pics on Page 8-michelin-640x480.jpg  

MadHawk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks