Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 13:08   #1
BHPian

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail

Folks,

Finally I decided to pen down this Long Term Ownership Review of my small car – Maruti 800.

Specs:

Car: Maruti 800 BS II STD
Model: September 2004
Color: Silky Silver

Ex-Showroom Price (today): MARUTI 800 MPI BS III STD (Karnataka) ~ 2.07 Lakhs

Purchased from: Mandovi True Value
Purchased in: September 2007
Odometer Reading @ start: 31000 odd kms
Odometer Reading till mid-Dec 2011: 49000 kms

____________ _____________________________________________ ____________

At the time of Purchase

What I liked about the car:
  • Good exterior paint condition
  • Exteriors neatly maintained, minus a few dents and scratches
  • Interiors neatly maintained
  • Was good to drive
  • Was available for a good price
  • Good Seat Covers
What I did NOT like about the car:
  • Had some amount of vibrations at times (largely from the front left side passenger cabin and from the hatch door)
  • Rear suspension was average
  • No A/C
*** Pictures – a brief glance ***

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-01_front_dsc03003.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-02_rear_dsc02998.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-03_rear3q_dsc02999.jpg

History of the Hunt:
  • Once I decided that I wanted to settle for a second hand car, I quickly realized (remember this was a good 4 years back) that it had to be one among Santro, WagonR, Alto and Maruti 800 to be in a budget of 1.7 – 2 Lakhs. Today there are more options in the market to choose from.
  • My next decision was to look for it in the second hand market, despite the fact that I would be paying a premium when compared to a direct deal. I wanted the deal to be hassle free; I liked the fact that there are avenues that offer a complete checkup, some amount of refurbishing with a limited period of warranty / free service.
  • My penultimate decision was to give a skip to agents and non-company dealers and limit my search to Company Owned True Value Dealers.
  • After a brief hunting, I decided that it would be an Alto or an 800. With the models on display and the prices on offer, Alto was falling on the higher side of the budget.
  • After short listing and rejecting 13 vehicles (all 800s and its variants) in a span of a month, I chose this Silky Silver Automobile.
  • Reasons for rejection till then were varying between - more kms on the Odometer, need for a good amount of refurbishing (read battery replacement, new tyres, paint job, need seat covers / rework on seats etc), poor NVH levels, more no. of years, higher price quoted (in terms of value for money) etc.
The Deal:
  • I bargained for and got a deal from Mandovi Motors True Value, wherein I got a price discount of around 10K, one year free insurance (I bought it in September, when the insurance had just expired), reworked rear suspensions, a new windshield, freshly painted bonnet etc.
  • Warranty - 3 free services for 1 year is standard for True Value Cars from Maruti.
It is more than 4 years now and the time has passed, just like that with this car.

Initial Ownership Review
What I liked:
  • Easy to drive, fuss free
  • I like driving sitting higher up and the driving position is good. I improvised further by getting a simple customized seat height adjust, more on that in the pictures later)
  • Good mileage even in 2nd, 3rd gear traffic – averaging about 13 to a litre
  • Can make a mockery of the traffic to some extent
  • Surprisingly it’s fun to drive an 800, no sluggishness
  • In short it does what you ask it do without any complaints
What I did not like:
  • I did miss the A/C during hot summers; Bangalore is no longer the way it used to be
  • I noticed the vibrations (mentioned above under “what I did NOT like”) come to play in peak traffic, stop and go situations. At other times though, it was totally a different car, quite quiet. The boot door got damaged in between and that added to the vibrations.
  • Suspensions are very average. This car needs good roads; poorer the roads, more the vertical movement especially in the rear seat
Other significant points:
  • The battery conked in about 5 months (as it was already 3 yrs 5 months old by then). Replaced it with a new Amaron battery.
  • Got a 3M under body coating done somewhere in mid 2008 for Rs. 1900 with 1 year warranty. Lasted for about 2.5 years
  • Regularly driven - 95% usage in the city (in the first year of my usage)
  • Regularly serviced
*** Pictures – Ingress-Egress, Cabin and Seats ***

Using a pillow in driver’s seat for seat height adjust, I love the added visibility offered in traffic
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-04_side_dsc03007.jpg

Front Bucket Seats – decent back and under thigh seat support, Adjustable Headrests
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-05_frontseat1_dsc03008.jpg

Rear Seat back – decent back support, Fixed Headrests
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-06_rearseat1_dsc03013.jpg

Rear Seat– decent under thigh seat support, not just a bench. Check the seat covers.
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-06_rearseat2_dsc03014.jpg

Rear Legroom – Min and Max, useful storage on front seat back pockets (courtesy: seat covers)
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-07_rearlegroom1_dsc03025.jpg

Rear Legroom Min – Usability – I am a little over 5’9” and could just manage. For a proper driving position, the driver seat has to move forward (from what is shown in the picture) and there would be at least another 2” of additional legroom which is ok for short trips or with maximum 4 people on board.
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-07_rearlegroom2_dsc03020.jpg

Front Seat Adjustable Headrests – 3 point Adjust – High & Mid shown in the picture
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-05_frontseat2_dsc03044.jpg

Long Term Ownership Review
What I liked:
  • Continued to be easy to drive, fuss free
  • Mileage improved slightly by about 0.75
  • Boot space good enough, not sure about how much it measures to, but close to 85% of what the Alto offers and can be used completely unlike some other cars
  • Very nice ground clearance for Indian roads. Very few countable speed breakers (poorly designed ones) that I encountered where the car underbody scraped the ground with 4-5 people in, in 2nd gear with a speed of 20 kmph
  • Suspension, I felt weighed up better and provided marginally better ride and comfort with tyre pressure at 30 rather than at 32.
  • Vibrations reduced by some amount after I got the damaged hatch door replaced. Cost me around Rs 6300, out of which I paid Rs 2200 and the rest from insurance claim. The car was close to 6 yrs old when I got this job done and hence managed only about 65% in the claim. The 3 No-Claim Bonuses (NCB) that I got for the Insurances during the 3 years before this claim can be considered as an adjustment.
  • Boy! The Amaron battery has lasted a full 4 yrs 3 months and is still going good
  • The seat covers have lasted and are still in good condition
What I did not like:
  • Vibrations were still there from the front passenger cabin
  • Service and Maintenance costs were increasing due to wear and tear of components like rubber, pads, plastics, wires etc. The engine, brakes, clutch and other mechanical components though have come through nicely.
  • Overall, rear suspensions are just average
*** Pictures - Controls ***

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-09_dashboard1_dsc03063.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-09_dashboard2_dsc03027.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-13_controls.jpg

Gear lever – 4 Speed + 1 Reverse. Notice the small storage slot between the gear lever & the hand brake
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-10_gearlever_dsc03029.jpg

Footwell – no issues, no dead pedal but a small legroom that can be used to the left of the clutch pedal
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-08_footwell_dsc03006.jpg

*** Pictures - Doors and Storage ***

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-12_doorsinside.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-111_storage_dash_dsc03065.jpg

Simple no-nonsense Boot, almost flat, low loading lip – good and easy to use
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-14_boot1_dsc03040.jpg

Almost nil protrusions on the inside from the rear suspension / wheel well setup
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-14_boot2_dsc03042.jpg

Rear Seats fold flat for maximum storage, no seat split though – asking for more eh?
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-14_boot3_dsc03048.jpg

Other significant observations / points:
  • Mileage:
  • Peak City Traffic (1st, 2nd gear) – 12 kmpl
  • Average City Traffic (2nd, 3rd gear) – 12.5 – 14 kmpl
  • Regular Driving (2nd, 3rd, 4th gear) – 14 – 14.5 kmpl
  • Long drives and inter-city – 17 – 18 kmpl
  • Smoothness and NVH:
  • After a good wash or on rainy days (after the downpour has subsided), when I take the car out, with the atmosphere having reduced temperatures, it showed noticeable improvements in smoothness and NVH levels. Do not know how.
  • Regularly driven - 85% usage in the city (over 4 years of my usage)
  • Regularly serviced
  • Spent about Rs 8000 odd in the year end 2010 and got some refurbishing (for mechanical wear and tear) + complete servicing
*** Pictures - Interior Fit and Finish & Others ***

Panel gap – in the front passenger compartment below the dash
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-15_panelgap1_dsc03054.jpg

Interior frame beading below the B-Pillar – Non-Uniform Fit
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-15_panelgap2_dsc03056.jpg

Rear Window Frame beading – Near Rear Quarter Glass - Notice the gap
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-15_panelgap3_dsc03057.jpg

A peek into the spare-wheel compartment (hidden underneath the boot floor from inside)
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-14_boot4_sparewheel_dsc03051.jpg

That’s about it; about the car I call “The People’s Car”. It has been a thoroughly enjoyable experience – owning / driving the car and presenting this review - both.

Thanks for reading thus far.

As I wind up, this car is sold. And it has gone back to the same True Value Dealer where it came from .
I have booked a Maruti Ritz VXi. And that shall be presented in a separate post in the days that follow.

Happy Motoring & Happy Team-BHPying.

Thanks,
C_
Coolman is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 13:29   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail

Nice.
love the detailed pictures and narration.
I honestly love the 800.
It was the first car in house, and I learnt how to drive on it!
Thanks.

Ps: Checked the camel.Its healthy and well!!
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 23:16   #3
BHPian

You've covered all nooks & crannies of this quintessential little car. A very detailed review echoing some of the common issues in M800 ownership.

This car doesn't scrape speed breakers because of its very short wheel base. It can tide over craters with panache.
JustCause is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 12:31   #4
BHPian

Thanks Mayank, JustCause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Nice.
I honestly love the 800.
It was the first car in house, and I learnt how to drive on it!
That's cool. This was the first car @ my home too. Learn to drive, drove it and loved doing it...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
You've covered all nooks & crannies of this quintessential little car. A very detailed review echoing some of the common issues in M800 ownership.

This car doesn't scrape speed breakers because of its very short wheel base. It can tide over craters with panache.
The common issues - are a pain, but bearable given the fact that this car has its origins to a design that is 25 years old, except for the 3 face lifts it has received throughout its lifetime.

The short wheelbase (~2175 mm, which is a good 18 cms shorter than the Alto's, doesn't increase the rear leg space so much in the Alto though) and the high ground clearance (170 mm) in the M 800 do the trick here.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:19   #5
BHPian

Recommended usage:
  1. This car doesn’t like bad roads, owing to its mediocre suspensions and absence of power steering
  2. Occasionally people have used their 800s for longer drives between cities / towns and have felt quite ok, if not comfortable, but this is largely meant to be a city / town car
  3. I have clocked Max Speeds of 103 kmph and 116 kmph (note that there is no 5th gear) with 5 on board and some luggage. The steering starts giving vibrations and feels extremely light at speeds above 80 kmph
  4. Easy to park, maneuver and reverse
Coolman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 10:45   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wonderful review of an ICON! Thanks for sharing. I'm happy to have owned 2 Maruti 800s (including the SS80). The first time I drove the Fronte, I thought it was all the car I'd ever want. I mean, anyone whose exposure was limited to the Padmini & Ambassador would be blown away by the ergonomics, direct steering, smooth gearshift and peppy engine.

It's amazing when you think about it : 25 years down the line, the Tata Nano (India's new people car) still cannot beat the Maruti 800 for stress-free ownership. One reason, and a BIG one at that, why the Maruti 800 became what it did was unparalleled reliability. The li'l car just went on & on, no matter what kind of abuse you put her through.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 11:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

@Coolman, nice review there. I really liked the way you have highlighted the features using the dialogue boxes inside the pics. Only point about that is if you could have used a diff color font where-ever the back-ground was dark.

It's a good lil city car, goes about what it should. Personally, after the Padmini, I was not feeling comfortable with the light weight of the car. And hence have stayed away form this one.

Wishing you a long, happy owernship of this one.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 10:53   #8
BHPian

Nice review there Coolman, reminded me of our first car. Btw any plans for adding an ICE to your car?
MercLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 18:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercLover View Post
Nice review there Coolman, reminded me of our first car. Btw any plans for adding an ICE to your car?

I had, but the plan never materialized, and then I bought a new car with ICE and all the extras... yes, just a couple of weeks back!

Watch out for the review in the Ownership section.

Thanks,
C_
Old 27th December 2015, 22:17   #10
BHPian

DIY - 2nd Car Under Rs 1 Lac Budget

I am sure most of you have more than a car, just thought of sharing my Experience in going for 2nd Car.

With difficulty in managing Safari for daily commute, started looking for used cars under Rs 1 Lac budget.

Requirements listed -
1. Should be small car short listed - Matiz,Maruti (Specifically old version prior to 1997 due to its shape), Nano
2. Budget Under Rs 75K
3. Should be White
4. Should not have Gas fittment
5. Prefer less no of owners
6 Good body line

Started searching in olx , Quikr, but found its not easy to get an used one with so many conditions. Wanted Matiz as it has very good features like A/c, Power steering etc & its a very cute car, after many cars, found that its not easy to get one & restore due to its spares availability.

Decided to go for M 800 Specifically prior to 1997 due to its shape.

Finally found one in Mysore with 2 owners, below are the Activities (These pictures are after i did try to restore the car to its originality).

1. Bought the car for Rs 63 K - Engine was good, had to do lot of clean up to bring it back to its original form
2. Got the same serviced by removing all the seats & cleaned the Interiors completely - Cost Rs 1200
3. Checked for any mechanical work to be done, found that Drive shaft was making noise & got it repaired at MASS - Cost Rs 6500
4.Changed the Tyres - 4 Tubeless Appollo Amazer 155/70/r12 costed Rs 10,500 including Wheel allignment & Balancing
5. Replaced oil,Wiper blades,Speedo cables, monograms & some misc items Rs 1700
6. Painted the Rims - DIY Rs 400 1 Silver , 1 Clear coat Can Spray
7. Rubbing compound - 3 nos & white waste - Rs 600 - Complete DIY, it took 3 full days of Christmas Holidays to do rubbing
8. Other misc DIY - Polishing Tail lamps, Bumpers

Tried to bring back to max. originality , see the pictures & comment pls.

Total cost is under Rs 90K.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-1.jpg  

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-2.jpg  

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-3.jpg  

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-4.jpg  

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-5.jpg  

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-6.jpg  

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-7.jpg  

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-8.jpg  

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-9.jpg  

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-10.jpg  

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-11.jpg  

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-12.jpg  

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-13.jpg  

Ananth_shukti is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 23:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - 2nd Car Under Rs 1 Lac Budget

Good timing. With the proposed odd even rule, lots of people will be needing second cars. Your solution will be better than buying a new second car.
Old 13th January 2016, 14:48   #12
BHPian

Re: DIY - 2nd Car Under Rs 1 Lac Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
I am sure most of you have more than a car, just thought of sharing my Experience in going for 2nd Car.

Finally found one in Mysore with 2 owners, below are the Activities (These pictures are after i did try to restore the car to its originality).

Tried to bring back to max. originality , see the pictures & comment pls.

Total cost is under Rs 90K.
I don't know how the car looked before you did the restore. Good job! It looks good after the restoration, especially since it is 20 years old.

Hope you are having a good driving experience and am sure this will be with you as long you want it to be around!

Thanks,
C_
Old 18th February 2016, 10:26   #13
BHPian

@Ananth_shukti

Can you please share few close-up snaps of music system? I want to check how the music system housing is mounted? I have recently bought the gear cover/plastic cladding and music system housing/plastic box.

So, before installing it want to take a close look at it.

Thanks.
Old 22nd July 2016, 22:09   #14
BHPian

Sharing the pics and other few details of my 800..

Wify wanted a car for her daily commute of 4-5 kms. Didn't wanted to take risk by handing over my Punto and Linea Hence the 800 :P. Before handing over it to wify, I decided to get my 800 in top-notch conditions.

It all started from interiors. I removed the complete matting cleaned and vacuumed the floor. After washing the matting thoroughly; i observed that it had developed bobbling at few places. So, to get rid of it i decided to use a razor!!! yehh a razor !! and trust me it worked fantastically. The end result was really good.

Now comes the Music system. I wanted to put up very basic music system as this car is used only 4 kms a day and for some monthly shopping. But, i was very sure that i dint want to install the player into the dashboard and hence picked a proper fixtures and got the player fitted into it. it looks much better now and does change the look of interiors. I deiced to use the speakers which had came out from my punto hence got the speaker box made as per the speaker size. This complete setup costed my 5K.

At the same time added few accessories like,
  1. Wheel caps
  2. Door protector
  3. Window wiser
  4. Sun-film for rare windscreen and rare quarter window
  5. Left side mirror
  6. Phone charger

After the few days of interval got her thoroughly serviced. Parts replaced were as follows,
  1. Oil filter and Oil
  2. Air filter
  3. Fuel filter
  4. Spark plugs
  5. Break Pads
  6. Bosch Wipers

All the spares used were Maruti genuine, which i had picked up from their authorized shop. There was a noticeable change in the car after the service.

Once the servicing and accessories work was done, after few days got new shoes for my 800 as, I wanted to be 100% sure that the car is really in topnotch condition. Didn't wanted to spend much and kept a budget of 9K max for the tyres. At the same time I wanted to change tyres for my Linea. Finally got Conti MC5 for my Linea and humble Good year for 800 .

Now, the next few additions to this cute little car would be a bull bar, seat covers, matting and a grill for rare quarter window.

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160117_195847.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160117_202113.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160123_135005.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160123_134944.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160123_191002.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160123_200321.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160123_200341.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160123_132316.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160304_143642.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160304_143711.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160424_113921.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160430_171357.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160430_172000.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160430_172506.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160430_172918.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160430_175644.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160430_180915.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160430_184105.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160508_131235.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160511_065058.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20160515_131553.jpg

Last edited by me@fiat : 22nd July 2016 at 22:29.
me@fiat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 19:03   #15
BHPian

Got my 800 detailed hence, sharing few pics.

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img20170623wa0017.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20170622_114842.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img20170623wa0016.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img20170623wa0015.jpg

Maruti 800 - Ownership Review in detail-img_20170622_134828.jpg
me@fiat is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks