Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2012, 01:43   #136
MAS
Senior - BHPian

re: My 2012 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi. EDIT: Now 60000 kms completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
A car with relatively lower center-of-gravity WILL be better around a corner. It's just plain and simple physics.

That said, the EcoSport being a derivative of the Fiesta, one can expect not only a reasonably stiff ride, but sublime corner-carving abilities given the proportions.
I should have worded it differently. Thanks for the input suhaas307.

Rephrasing my above sentence, "The Fiesta handles better than the Ecosport and I'm sure of it as i have driven both the cars."
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 02:12   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I should have worded it differently. Thanks for the input suhaas307.

Rephrasing my above sentence, "The Fiesta handles better than the Ecosport and I'm sure of it as i have driven both the cars."
Saar, I'm not disputing that! I concur.

I'm aware that you've driven both cars and there is even proof of it here on the forum. I'd even engaged a discussion with you on that!

That said, you've mentioned that the Fiesta is a better highway car than the EcoSport. You're better off getting the Fiesta if you intend on taking it on the highway 50% of the time BUT if the highway jaunts are restricted to occasions the EcoSport is a good car. Basically the usage-pattern..

Wouldn't the EcoSport's better clearance help it when the going gets rough though? Our highways have gotten better and its the city roads that need major overhauls. But still?

Given that the superior handling characteristics of the Fiesta are only negligible and that they wouldn't be noticed by the aam junta. The engines should be the same, I'm guessing. So the fuel-efficiency should be around the same. The kerb. weights differ, but only by double-digit figures, the EcoSport being heavier.

Or is it the boot? The Fiesta's boot is bigger but again, not by much.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th December 2012 at 02:14.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 06:12   #138
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Saar, I'm not disputing that! I concur.

I'm aware that you've driven both cars and there is even proof of it here on the forum. I'd even engaged a discussion with you on that!

That said, you've mentioned that the Fiesta is a better highway car than the EcoSport. You're better off getting the Fiesta if you intend on taking it on the highway 50% of the time BUT if the highway jaunts are restricted to occasions the EcoSport is a good car. Basically the usage-pattern..

Wouldn't the EcoSport's better clearance help it when the going gets rough though? Our highways have gotten better and its the city roads that need major overhauls. But still?

Given that the superior handling characteristics of the Fiesta are only negligible and that they wouldn't be noticed by the aam junta. The engines should be the same, I'm guessing. So the fuel-efficiency should be around the same. The kerb. weights differ, but only by double-digit figures, the EcoSport being heavier.

Or is it the boot? The Fiesta's boot is bigger but again, not by much.
Thanks Suhaas ji... I had to add a after my rephrasing, but my Opera Mini browser on the mobile did not allow it.

The boot of the Fiesta is not too big either. The space inside is very similar. The engine (oil burner) is the same and is expected to come in a higher tune to compensate the extra weight. Features are going to be similar, except for cruise control. Ecosport could be priced better than the Fiesta. When cars like Verna are being sold by the dozen, I'm sure the aam junta will not find the difference.

I hope Ford tweaks the Eco's suspension to suit Indian conditions and prices it well. With diesel prices expected to be increased by Rs. 10 in similar months, getting a Ecosport 1.0 Petrol with DCT could be a very attractive option.
Old 31st December 2012, 16:09   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Have you been to Rio? Copacabana is the actual name of the place. Sorry for the OT.
Hey MAS, from your reply it is clear that ecsport will not disappoint us. Beating the fiesta in handling department is not easy I am sure Ford India will bring the right combination of ride quality and handling for Ecosport since they have always managed to do that.

- i have never been to Rio but Copacabana is one of my favourite beahces. But i am planning to be there for the 2014 FIFA world cup.
Old 25th January 2013, 10:20   #140
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Update: 28000 kms

The car is running well, but there is a lot of noise from either the tyres or the drive shaft. I have been waiting patiently to get it rectified at the 30K service.

Yesterday night when driving back home, my left high beam headlight conked off. In the morning, i had a close look at the bulb through the clear headlight assembly. The bulb seemed to be okay. Since this was the second failure of the same light in less than 10K kms, i called up the MPL Ford guys.

As usual, Mr Sampath (GM, CRM) and Mr Ramesh (Service Manager) were very courteous. They asked me to bring the car immediately. On investigation, what i thought to be a simple loose contact, actually turned out to be a burnt wire in the headlight assembly.

Mr Ramesh immediately applied for a replacement of left Headlight assembly under warranty. As i write this, the new headlight assembly is being fixed to my car. Great job Ford. Keep up this high standards of customer service.

I will come back to MPL Ford for my 30 K service in less than a months time. I hope the noise quite driving is nothing serious...
MAS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 01:00   #141
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Update: 30,000 km completed!!!

Well it is actually a few hundred clicks above 30K. I'm taking the car for service tomorrow morning. The car has a few issues that needs to be addressed:

- Rubbing noise from front of the car. To be honest, it feels like one of the German-made Good Year tyres has bulged out of shape and is causing the rubbing noise, particularly when they are cold. Woo have to get this checked

- The Fiesta has off late become highly sensitive with the brand of Diesel it is fed with. The car behaves sluggish with IOC or BP Diesels. The car is back to normal when fed with HP Diesel. I guess my car has become brand conscious.

- The noise from the rear of the car is now consistent. I hope i can replicate it tomorrow.

Apart from the above, the car runs like a dream and puts a smile on my face. The best part of the car is that it handles well even with 5 people on board.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 01:51   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is back to normal when fed with HP Diesel.
I have observed this in the 1.4 Tdci too, engine feels sluggish and strained as well as more noisier with other than HP diesels.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 08:19   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apart from the above, the car runs like a dream and puts a smile on my face. The best part of the car is that it handles well even with 5 people on board.
Its been ages since I saw any updates from you. Where have you been lurking err.. driving? Really like the dynamics of the Fiesta and its cruising capabilities. Yours is the only ownership which has gone past the distance. Sugeeta has not updated her ownership yet. Look forward to that too. The other one is the petrol AT ownership thread. And all of them have been a delight to read.

Sad that the Fiesta did not fit into my scheme of things; thanks to the back seat space or rather lack of it. Else would have lapped one up !

Truly you have miles to go before you sleep.

Last edited by ampere : 13th February 2013 at 08:21.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 00:40   #144
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its been ages since I saw any updates from you. Where have you been lurking err.. driving?
Thanks for asking Ampere. I'm sorry for not updating this thread frequently. The Fiesta was just lapping up mile-after-mile and nothing eventful happened worth mentioning.

30K service completed!!!

This morning, i reached MPL Pallikaranai 15 min later than my allotted time. My car was in at 9 am. Mr. Ramesh (Service Manager) took charge of proceedings and the Job card was issued on priority with the following "things-to-do";

- Rear "dak-dak" noise prevalent
- Noise from front struts were very audible in the cabin
- Rubbing noise from front tyres, especially when cold
- Engine note was a few decibel notches higher than normal

Went for a test drive with Mr Ramesh and a test driver (well, he occupied the back seat, but let's call him a test driver). Rubbing noise and the dak-dak noise were (thankfully) replicated and both of them confirmed that there was a problem.

The dak-dak noise was diagnosed to be from the rear seat, which we assumed had some loose parts. The guys thought this could be easily eliminated by tightening a few bolts in the back seat and greasing a few contact points.

The car was then put on a ramp to check if one of the wheel bearings had gone crazy. To our horror, we found that the German-made Goodyear tyres had given up. All four tyres were well past their best and needed replacement. I was zapped as the Goodyear tyres on my Fusion lasted 70K kms. Mr Ramesh immediately arranged to take photos of the tyres and has taken up the issue with Goodyear. I will upload the pictures of the tyres tomorrow as they are in my phone (from which I'm typing) and are much above the size allowed by this forum.

I went in the evening and waited a while till my car was washed, cleaned and prepared for delivery. A late evening test drive confirmed that the dak-dak noise was still present in spite of tightening every damn bolt in the reach seat.

Mr Ramesh was unhappy with the result and offered to change the rear shocks under warranty. He also said that he would push Goodyear for replacing the tyres at 50% of the cost. I am not sure if i can get these (shocks and tyres) replaced before this weekend as I'm travelling away from the country for next two weeks and return home for a short period (5 days) before i set off again for most of March.

The 30K service bill added up to Rs. 6870/- as the New Fiesta needs a fuel filter replacement every 30K kms (costs about Rs. 3700/-). The car felt super smooth; engine noise was reduced to just a mild purr. The car pulled effortlessly and I'm extremely happy (touch wood) with the service of Ford. If time permits, i would get the car serviced every 7500 kms as during the last two thousand kms the car felt strained, unhappy too be revved and sluggish to drive.

I use the Android App, Fuelio, to track the mileage of my cars. A screen shot of the App has been given below. The high fuel efficiency is another reason for my smile.
Attached Thumbnails
My 2012 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi. EDIT: Sold at 116,430 Km-fiesta-fuelio-30k-kms.png  

MAS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 01:12   #145
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Goodyear Update: Received an SMS from Goodyear on 15th Feb that they would inspect the tyres on the car on 18th Feb 2013. As i was travelling from 17th Feb till 2nd Mar 2013, i have requested them to inspect tyres on 9th Mar 2013. I just hope they come to some kind of conclusion quickly as i am again travelling from 10th Mar till 28th March.

At the moment i'm in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and after looking at the old cars here, i started missing my Fiesta. I was browsing through the photos in my Galaxy Note this evening and this snap came up.

My 2012 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi. EDIT: Sold at 116,430 Km-fiesta-wild-2.jpg

I had taken the car for a spin on 17th Feb (a few hours before my flight). I generally take the Endeavour to such "road-less" places. But as i did not have time to clean the Endeavour before taking it out for its weekend drive, i took the Fiesta. Though I had to be extra careful to take the Fiesta to such places, the Fiesta blended well with its new environment as if it belonged there.
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:40   #146
BHPian

Hello MAS,
A big fan of the fiesta myself and it still fascinates me with its handling. Driven around 32 thousand odd kilometers and here is my feedback:

*Goodyear tyres need replacement around 35000 kms.
*Similar amount of service bill and thats great from a maintenance point of view.
*Underbody engine shield struts broken and has fallen off. Cost new approx 3800. Still to be replaced.
*Mileage is directly proportional to driving style. Worst 16. odd something flooring it and 19 odd driven conservatively (no cruise control).
*Havent found much of a difference in fuel stations as I run it on Indianoil but will try it with HP.

Regards,
Barani
commander is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 02:00   #147
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the feedback Bharani.

I guess the German made Goodyears cannot take on the rough Indian road conditions. What tyres are you going in for as a replacement?

How did you manage to rip off the Engine guard at the bottom?

Cruise control certainly adds miles to the tankful. Since you are from Salem, i would like to add that the highest mileage recorded by my Fiesta was on a one day trip too Salem. 110 kmph on the cruise control.
Old 24th February 2013, 09:35   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Bharani.

I guess the German made Goodyears cannot take on the rough Indian road conditions. What tyres are you going in for as a replacement?

How did you manage to rip off the Engine guard at the bottom?

Cruise control certainly adds miles to the tankful. Since you are from Salem, i would like to add that the highest mileage recorded by my Fiesta was on a one day trip too Salem. 110 kmph on the cruise control.
I'm going for 205/60/15 or 195/60/15 which ever is available on Apollo Accelere. Have been a happy customer with the Accelere tyres for the last six years and willing to continue it. They seem to give the best feedback to the steering but thats my opinion.

I have no clue as to how it got damaged. After one chennai trip it was hanging from one side and hence removed it. Mine is a mix of rural/highway 50/50 driving.

Guess that was your 900 km trip in a day :-)
commander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 13:31   #149
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
I'm going for 205/60/15 or 195/60/15 which ever is available on Apollo Accelere. Have been a happy customer with the Accelere tyres for the last six years and willing to continue it. They seem to give the best feedback to the steering but thats my opinion.

I have no clue as to how it got damaged. After one chennai trip it was hanging from one side and hence removed it. Mine is a mix of rural/highway 50/50 driving.

Guess that was your 900 km trip in a day :-)
I will wait for the Goodyear guys to inspect the tyres first before deciding on which brand. If the Goodyear guys give me a good offer, i will go in for the same tyres again as they offered substantial grip and never squeaked even once.

My 900 km trip is Chennai-Erode-Chennai in a day, which i do once in 6 months. Salem is 385 km x 2 and falls a bit short of the 900 km mark
Old 24th February 2013, 15:01   #150
BHPian

Quote:

I will wait for the Goodyear guys to inspect the tyres first before deciding on which brand. If the Goodyear guys give me a good offer, i will go in for the same tyres again as they offered substantial grip and never squeaked even once.
I was about to exchange my tyres as soon as I got the car but since my usual tyre guy pointed them to be of German make decided to try them. Not even one bit of squeaking I agree even now at this stage. My usual trips to Yercaud also would be on the throttle but still no squeaks. I was of the opinion that was due to the chassis but will keep you posted after the tyre swap in a bit.

Last edited by commander : 24th February 2013 at 15:03.

Most Viewed