Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 14:07   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: My 2012 Ford Fiesta 1.5L TDCi. EDIT: Now 60000 kms completed!

Congratulations! Good to see the ownership thread

Can you please post some pictures of the interior, especially the rear seat. And did you manage to clarify the ESP bit?
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 14:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats MAS. Wishing you a long and trouble free ownership.

You seem to be one loyal and satisfied FORD customer.

Also you got a very good deal from Mahindra First choice for your Fusion. I was surprised, considering that getting spares for the car is difficult.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 14:24   #18
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Finally the thread ownership.

Congratulations on the new Fiesta. Your ownership thread clearly showed your passion for the your car. I would loved some bold colour for the car, my personal opinion. How's the driving experience, the handling part? Are the Good year tyres confidence inspiring? Hows the DTE performance.

Was this an outright purchase? Ford had a readymade winner on hand but I guess they made a mess out if by bad pricing otherwise Fiesta would have been sold like hot cakes. Good to know that Ford responded to all your queries regarding the rusting.

how did you find the rear sitting coz that was one area which was lacking the most as mentioned by many BHPians in the Fiesta thread.

Happy mile cruching, enjoy your drive and drive safely.
Yes, finally i have managed to post the ownership report. I liked the Kinetic Blue colour, but it is very difficult to maintain the car. Did not want to go in for darker colours as i drive a lot on the highways and wanted the car to be visible to the sleepy truck drivers.

Handling and car control is simply amazing. The car listens to what you say and this makes the car's handling very predictable. Last week during the first long drive, there is this long bridge with a sharp curve in Pachaikuppam (near Ambur), where i slow down to 80 kmph in my Fusion. But in a Fiesta, i was driving with my Cruise Control at 95 kmph and took the turn very cooly. Not even a slight hint of car losing grip. I am sure i can take the turn at much higher speeds.

Good Year tyres are okay. I would say the rubber is harder than the Michelin. There is a bit of tyre noise that can be heard at higher speeds.

It was an outright purchase and Ford service has been responding very well to my complaints.

The rear seat comfort is moderate. It is much better than the Verna, but not anywhere near the Optra. The comfort is similar to the Fusion, but the head rests are a pain as they protrude too much for comfort. But as i drive the car, ALL the time, it was at the bottom of my priority list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
She's a real looker. Have you driven the outgoing Fiesta. If yes, how you compare ride and handling between these two? Just planning to suggest Fiesta to a friend of mine who wants to upgrade his Accent. And the FE you got is just awesome.
I have driven the Fiesta Classic for many kilometers. I agree with avira_tk that the handing matches and in a few cases exceeds the Fiesta Classic. The EPS is a pleasure to use. Could drive with the little finger at slow speeds and weighs up (not much) at higher speeds.

Added to this, the seats in a Titianum and Titanium Plus are atleast 4 inches longer and the under-thigh support is very good when compared to the Classic. This improves the comfort on long drives.

I was surprised with the FE and i am sure would go higher. The mileage shown in the Driver Information System is pretty accurate. Last tank fill gave me an average of 20.55 kmpl and the DIS showed 5.0 Litres/100 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
@MAS
Congrats on the purchase, we went through the same route booking a Trend, then we sold our old Fiesta and got the NFS Titanium+ at 2k more than the Titanium, this was from Kairali Ford (Kottayam, Kerala) and it was delivered on 28th Dec, I am not sure if the offer still stands. The offer price on the old one was 2.5L(1.3L km, 2006 Jan model), which was pretty good considering the car was coming apart. Before anyone blames Ford build quality, let me just clarify that the car hadn't been on good roads for the majority of its life, was driven through plantation roads and foot deep water in the monsoons.
Congrats on owning the New Fiesta Titanium Plus. That takes the count to 7 New Fiesta's on Team BHP. I got my Titanium Plus for 12.27 Lakhs while the actual cost of a Titanium in Chennai is 12.38 Lakhs. Discounts are different in different parts of the country and the supreme driving pleasure of the car makes us forget any sort of shortcomings. I had maintained my Fusion well, but was subject to abuse and held on well for 52 months where i drove 1.31 Lakh kms. One of the reasons to go back to Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Congrats on the Fiesta! I always did like this car, even if it was (perhaps still is) a bit overpriced. But there's a lot of positives there to outweigh the negatives. And that mileage is something to be amazed at! Sensational figures that is bound to improve with time.
Thanks iliketurtles (nice handle by the way). I was surprised at the mileage as when i filled up the 42 litre tank, the DTE (Distance to Empty) showed only 500 kms. It stayed there for a long long time and actually increased as i drove the car. The on-board diagnostics for mileage is pretty accurate.

If we leave alone the sub-par interiors, there are many pluses to the car. The music system for example is the best i have come across. I have read on this forum where people buy the car with all the bells and whistles, but go in for an ICE upgrade in a couple of months. This is not necessary for the Fiesta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
You must truly be a handling enthusiast, since you have not let go of Ford!.

Inspite of its nitty gitty short comings, which might be difficult to live with for an aam admi, the Ford puts a smile when it really matters for a CAR, while driving it. Heck, with slightly better rubber, you can literally throw yourselves around those sweeping corners!. Recently I drove the petrol version.. How I wished the engine had more grunt!

I would have removed the entire rubber beading and reinstalled it. Cutting is just like removing the symptom, not the problem.
You are 100% right. The Fiesta, even with its short-comings, puts a grin on the face everytime i drive it. It is a perfect handler and this is confidence inspiring.

The rubber beading was twisted and looked like it was that way ever since it was put in the car. We tried to straighten it up, but it would go back to its original twisted shape (like a dog's tail would). It had to be cut (about 1 1/2 inch) for the window to slide up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
How old was your fusion?
Thank you for your comments. I bought the Fusion in Sept 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Congrats MAS. Wishing you many happy miles. 12.27 OTR is a very sweet deal you got for the Titanium+ diesel. Enjoy your car and look forward to hearing your day to day driving experience with it, specially the long road trips. Don't let the let downs like rusted parts or below par interiors spoil the fun of owning the car. Every model has its own drawbacks and I am sure the superb handling and road manners of the Fiesta will more than make up for these drawbacks. Best of luck.
Thanks samarjitdhar. Thanks for the good advice. I will be driving the Fiesta mostly for long drives. Will keep the thread alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
Many a congrats MAS on the New Ford Fiesta. I for one feel that she is the best amongst the crop of compact sedans which prowl our roads today. With the legendary "handling dna" running in her chassis, am sure she will make you grin every time you take her for a spin. Happy Motoring and do keep updating the thread with your experiences.
Nicely put mnemonic. I like the "prowl" part of your post.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 15:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
If we leave alone the sub-par interiors, there are many pluses to the car.
From what little I have seen of the Fiesta, that was my only grouse given the price tag. But there is just so much to like about it that you can really pass over that one aspect if you love the cars dynamics and goodies.

I picked up a used City S last month. I was waiting for the Fiesta Automatic, but couldn't hold on any longer as the need for a second car in the family became pressing. Maybe I'll regret it, maybe I won't (since 95% of my driving is within the city and I won't exploit the Fiesta's brilliant dynamics).

I will be following your thread closely though. There's something about the Fiesta that just makes me like it straight off the bat. Happy mile-munching
Old 17th January 2012, 15:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations MAS on going with your heart. Because unless you love a car, you wouldn't enjoying living with it over the years.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 15:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Heck, with slightly better rubber, you can literally throw yourselves around those sweeping corners!. Recently I drove the petrol version.. How I wished the engine had more grunt!
I suppose you are referring to the New Fiesta in petrol avatar, right?

@MAS--Congrats on your new acquistion, and thank you for your detailed analysis and pictures. This is the first review on this forum that is sort of comprehensive. I think your FE readings are mostly related to highway runs, but I may be wrong.

I'm however dismayed to see those rusted parts in a new car. Ford needs to take corrective action in case they want better sales of this model. And a price correction of at least a couple of lakhs.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 15:56   #22
BHPian

Please excuse me for writing the second time during the day, but could not resist.

I am looking for changing my fusion, and today test drove the Aria and the Fiesta back to back.

Boy oh boy. The car pleases no end. Tata Aria pride 4X4 felt rubbish after driving the Fiesta, although it is a from a different and a higher segment. Such good road manners, and composure.

The steering feel of a fiesta is something that can't be mentioned in words. I drive a fabia, which feels too light, a sonata, and a fusion, but this-is something of its own kind.

After your review and after driving the fiesta, I have put the car buy on hold till the automatic fiesta is launched.
deepfusion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 15:57   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I suppose you are referring to the New Fiesta in petrol avatar, right?.
Of course, the new one. Even the old 1.6 would have done some justice, to what this car is capable of.
Old 17th January 2012, 16:28   #24
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Congratulations on the new Fiesta. Covered all the parts of the car in great detail with pictures all around. Loved the detailed writeup.

The car looks good all around and the only eye soar is the quality of parts used by Ford. The rusting on cast iron parts is quiet normal. Fuel efficiency of 20 is pure awesome, i guess its almost a norm in all diesel sedan's.
Thanks mayankjha. I guess i am already turning a blind eye to the bad parts. The only grouse is the tacky rubber beadings which catch a lot of dust and is difficult to clean. The Fiesta has been tuned for mileage - 1.5 Litre engine instead of 1.6 Litre; 5 tall cogs with the ton coming up in the 5th gear at 2050-2100 rpm. This is much lower than the old Fiesta & the Fusion where the engine was spinning at 2500 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Congratulations MAS once again on your new Fiesta & most importantly getting this thread up & started. This one should have been the most awaited initial ownership experience threads off late.

Though this is your first ownership thread on TBHP, it must be worth reading. Will go through it in details & get back to you in case any queries. Meanwhile enjoy your new ride & keep this thread updated. Wishing you many many happy (s)miles with your new car.
Thanks AutoIndian. I hope i can atleast live up to some of your expectations. Looking forward to your queries as answering them will be a learning process for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Congratulations once again. Finally the thread is up and running.

Did you ever mention it to the dealer and/or Ford regarding replacing the car? What was their response?

You say cost cutting is evident, but the car is so damn expensive already, how can they do cost cutting. I can accept the glaringly visible cost cutting in the Etios siblings, but those are priced correctly, so you can't complain. The quality is atrocious in the new Fiesta, totally un-Ford like. Even the 4 lakh Figo has better interiors and non-rusted parts.

All said and done, as long as you are happy driving the Fiesta, nothing else matters.

Wishing you lots of happy miles/gallon with the Fiesta.

Please keep posting more and more pics.

Cheers!
Thanks Ajay. I would have asked for a replacement car had i not gone for the long drive a day before the guys landed up. The car has a very pleasing character and amuses me to no end.

Cost cutting is evident due to the quality of certain parts and choice of materials used. The could have used a different steel instead of Cast iron atleast in the clamps and the steering shaft. The Etios is a different story altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations! Good to see the ownership thread

Can you please post some pictures of the interior, especially the rear seat. And did you manage to clarify the ESP bit?
Thanks vb-san. Did not post pics of the interiors as Rehaan had covered it to the fullest. Will post my pics as soon as possible.

Sadly no ESP light was burning when i switched on the ignition. Thanks for bringing it up as i had forgotten about this. I checked the instrument cluster the very first time i turned the keys while taking delivery. The owner's manual does mention about ESP and also mentions about a switch to turn on-off the ESP. The manual i guess is a universal one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Congrats MAS. Wishing you a long and trouble free ownership.

You seem to be one loyal and satisfied FORD customer.

Also you got a very good deal from Mahindra First choice for your Fusion. I was surprised, considering that getting spares for the car is difficult.
Thanks Amit. I seem to be addicted to Ford's handing and reliability. I literally drove the wheels of the Fusion, but it held on to all the abuse. I could have waited for some more time and got a higher price as the market was getting hotter for a Diesel car. But as my decision to go in for the car happened in the last two weeks of December, i let go of the Fusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I picked up a used City S last month. I was waiting for the Fiesta Automatic, but couldn't hold on any longer as the need for a second car in the family became pressing. Maybe I'll regret it, maybe I won't (since 95% of my driving is within the city and I won't exploit the Fiesta's brilliant dynamics).

I will be following your thread closely though. There's something about the Fiesta that just makes me like it straight off the bat. Happy mile-munching
Congrats on buying the City S. Honda City is a wonderful car and the best petrol engine in its category. Ford Fiesta would be better only in the handling department. You will not find a difference in city driving. I did not consider the City as my running is high and an oil burner justifies my usage to the T.

Drive safe and enjoy your City to the fullest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congratulations MAS on going with your heart. Because unless you love a car, you wouldn't enjoying living with it over the years.
Thanks dkaile. My story is just like you and your Fortuner. I have put the purchase of the Fortuner on hold for the time being. I hope i will be able to join the Fortuner club someday soon.

Quote:
I suppose you are referring to the New Fiesta in petrol avatar, right?

@MAS--Congrats on your new acquistion, and thank you for your detailed analysis and pictures. This is the first review on this forum that is sort of comprehensive. I think your FE readings are mostly related to highway runs, but I may be wrong.

I'm however dismayed to see those rusted parts in a new car. Ford needs to take corrective action in case they want better sales of this model. And a price correction of at least a couple of lakhs.
Quote:

Thanks vnabhi. Rusted parts seem to be common with Ford cars and this is due to the choice of material being used. I did speak to the Ford Customer Service today and they seem to be responding well to my queries. I would say the car is expensive by about 50K, but all this will be forgotten if one loves to drive and drives this car. The quality of other parts (such as the accessories) is top class and does not feel like OE Cheap Chinese accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
I am looking for changing my fusion, and today test drove the Aria and the Fiesta back to back.

Boy oh boy. The car pleases no end. Tata Aria pride 4X4 felt rubbish after driving the Fiesta, although it is a from a different and a higher segment. Such good road manners, and composure.

The steering feel of a fiesta is something that can't be mentioned in words. I drive a fabia, which feels too light, a sonata, and a fusion, but this-is something of its own kind.

After your review and after driving the fiesta, I have put the car buy on hold till the automatic fiesta is launched.
I did look at the Aria, but the vehicle is too crude when compared to the Fiesta. The Aria can do many things that a Fiesta cannot, but if you are looking at driving pleasure, look no further than the new Fiesta.
MAS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 15:12   #25
BHPian

Hi MAS, Congrats on the new purchase. I still miss the vfm tag for the car. Ford has played very bad game here. Not able to understand what was their strategy.
anumod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 16:40   #26
BHPian

Hey MAS, Congratulations once again on your 'own'ership thread.

For sometime I thought you were bitten by the Ecosport bug!!!

The car has truly delightful driving dynamics. However, personally I would like FMC to readjust the gear ratios for an even better ride. Mine has run 6150 Kms. till date and the FE has only improved.

Wishing you thousands of delightful miles.

Last edited by Sugeeta : 20th January 2012 at 16:41.
Sugeeta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 17:36   #27
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Hi MAS, Congrats on the new purchase. I still miss the vfm tag for the car. Ford has played very bad game here. Not able to understand what was their strategy.
Hi Anumod. If you love to drive (LIVE TO DRIVE), then Fiesta is your car. The Fiesta does not carry the VFM card, which the Figo did. But, as i said, if you love to drive, if you understand the importance of car control and handling, you would not mind paying the money Ford asks for (this is even more if you have owned a Ford Earlier).

For VFM, you should look at the Mahindra Vertigo or TATA Manza types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
Hey MAS, Congratulations once again on your 'own'ership thread.

For sometime I thought you were bitten by the Ecosport bug!!!

The car has truly delightful driving dynamics. However, personally I would like FMC to readjust the gear ratios for an even better ride. Mine has run 6150 Kms. till date and the FE has only improved.

Wishing you thousands of delightful miles.
Thank you once again Sugeeta. You seem to be driving the wheels off the car. I have not touched my car for a week now as i am travelling. I guess you are more comfortable with the shorter cogs of the Fiesta Classic.
Old 20th January 2012, 20:44   #28
BHPian

Congratulations. Finally a thread on the new Fiesta. You've made a superb choice. That is one proper handler you've got there. A Real VFM car, if you compare it to the Verna. I just recently TDed the Fiesta. Funky interiors and all kinds of gizmos to spoil you. FE figures are the real icing on the cake.
This is so good, just can't wait for the Fiesta hatch.
goutham_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 11:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase bro Going through your post was so much fun. You have covered smaller but significant things about the car. Nice observations and initial ownership report! The Fiesta at 12.27L seems like a very good car in the segment. For driving enthusiasts, this car, with discounts could make a lot of sense.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 12:58   #30
BHPian

Many Congrats MAS. I can fully understand the reasons why you went for Ford again as I have 3 fords now ikon + fiesta + recently acquired used fusion. Driveability and handling of Ford spoils you and its not possible to like any other car.
While the Fiesta is expensive on paper and if one takes an independent view, but a "Fordian" will always be biased and will pay for the premium of the sheer joy of driving these beauties. The FE is a bonus which you are getting and with your kind of miles, i'm sure you will recover yr premium much faster.
New Fiesta is a great car and when i was toying with the idea of buying a new figo or used fiesta/fusion tdci, my entire family fell in love with the blue display car here in Sreeji ford. The console, features, looks are fabulous when you see in person. My seven year daughter refused to come out of the car and said why don't we take it home. When I said it needs a lot more money, she just reminded that ATM is round the corner and whats the issue!!!!
As the Ford A$$ nowadays is comparable to any other car maker and is pretty reasonable as well, I am sure you will have great time with this car. Also, yours is best review i have read across anywhere, it will be great if you continue to update this post regularly.
sharadmumbai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed