Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2012, 12:03   #1
BHPian

My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up

So, what can I say, I've always wanted an Alfa Romeo (not in the least because the first two letters in my name start with A and R!), and the Giulietta seemed like the logical choice. I did not want a Mito and did not want the VW Golf (its too common around here).

After shopping around for almost 2 months, I settled on a silver Giulietta (white was premium, an extra $600 plus it looked very dull). I was sure I wanted a diesel -simply because all our other cars in the family are diesels and they all give excellent mileage (I've driven my mother's C250 diesel 1100 km on one tank). The 2.0L diesel Giulietta has figures of 4.5L/100km (approx 23 km/L) so that appealed to me a lot, and the fact that there was an introductory special - the diesel TCT was the same price as a petrol TCT ($46,285 on road) also added to the favour of buying a diesel.

Please note this is my first review, so may not be upto T-Bhp standards!

First impressions:
1. The car is solidly built, and the quality of the interior is excellent. I had a Fiat Palio previously, and the build quality was "iffy", but no such problems with the Giulietta.
2. Fit and finish are excellent, attention to detail is also very good.
3. Quality materials, especially in the seats and on the dashboard.
4. Excellent fuel economy - so far I have driven 300km (the car had 21km on the clock when I got it), and the fuel gauge is still near full. The car is telling me that it is using 4.8L/100km now.
5. Unique look.
6. Daytime running lights are excellent. It gives the car a unique look, and it is a safety feature as well.
7. TCT (twin clutch transmission) gearbox - it is just so damn good. I don't feel the gear changes at all. It is completely seamless - one gear changes to the next without any jerks or anything.
8. The driving modes (DNA - Dynamic, Normal and Advanced) are pretty nifty. In dynamic mode, I can feel the car handle differently than in normal mode. I have not tried the Advanced mode yet.
9. Brakes are very responsive, unlike any other car I have driven so far.
10. Good rear passenger leg space, along with rear climate control.
11. I have not felt any turbo lag.
12. I am finding the cruise control a little bit annoying to use - for example I still don't know how to turn it off and back on again while I am at cruising speed - without having to manually use the "on/off" button. Apparently there is a "cancel/resume" function, but I still can't figure that out.
13. The start/stop technology is very very good, unlike the Alfa Mito which had several problems. Good to see they have resolved these issues in the Giulietta.
14. Boot space - adequate, but not as big as a sedan car, but this is expected in a hatch.
15. Hidden rear door handle - gives the impression the car is 2 door, when it actually has 2 rear doors.
16. Instrumentation in English and Italian. Really lets you know you are in an Italian car!
17. Paddle shift gear levers on the steering adds to the sporty appeal, but I must figure out how to use it properly!

I also got a sports pack fitted - 18" alloy wheels, red brake discs, leather seats, red seat belts, darkened headlights and fog lights, bi-xenon headlights, spoiler and darkened windows, which was $3000 extra. Total on road price came to $49,285 (approx INR 26 lakhs).

The dealership was pretty good to deal with, no issues at all. I had to wait 1 and a half months for my car though, but that was because RHD models are only built and shipped at specific times from the factory in Italy (the car is fully imported from Italy).

I am not planning on any accessories because the car came with geniune Alfa floor mats, and I'm not going to put any seat covers.

A few pictures, sorry about the quality, they were taken with my mobile phone. I will post more detailed and interior photos etc. later.

I really hope Fiat brings this car to India, I'm sure it will sell well.
Attached Thumbnails
My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up-alfa-1.jpg  

My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up-alfa-2.jpg  

My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up-alfa-3.jpg  

Attached Images

Jeeper1941 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 12:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up

Wow An Alfa!

My only compliant is the colour you chose. It looks stunning in red.

I love the interiors of the Giulietta. Do post a lot of pictures.

And have fun with the car.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 13:05   #3
BHPian

Congrats!!! Alfa Romeo!!!

Bit of topic, but of curosity, do I see a Honda Jazz in first pic and Hyundai Gets in the last pic in the background?
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 13:17   #4
BHPian

Congratulations.
Great choice. Always been a fan of AR. I personally would have chosen Mito, but Giulietta is equally good and probably more practical. Great color choice.
What is the power n torque output of the 2l motor?
Mike89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 13:53   #5
BHPian

Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments!

deetjohn: Thank you! I chose silver because white looked too dull (its not the normal white, rather its called "calcite white", its very dull. The bright white is not available here). I also didn't choose red because I wanted the tail lights to stand out, with red it doesn't really stand out. Will post pictures of the interior soon (the car is out with my dad at the moment, he seems to be having more fun worth it than me LOL!)
ObsessedByFIAT: Yes, that is a Honda Jazz and a Getz. The Alfa dealership is next to a Huyndai and Honda dealership as well as a used car shop. Hence the different cars.

Mike89: I didn't choose the Mito because the start/stop has issues with the Mito, and the diesel is almost $35000 for such a small car. Hence decided to go with the bigger Guilietta. The power output is 170hp, and I think the torque is 258lb ft at 1750rpm.
Old 19th February 2012, 14:09   #6
Zed
BHPian

Superb choice of car, colour and rims. I wish you miles and years of motoring nirvana.

Ive been an admirer of Alfa's design philosophy and consider the 159 the best designed sedan in Europe today. If only Fiat can change perceptions regarding quality Alfa could easily be its global upmarket brand. To a large extent AR as a brand already has a number of attributes going for it that lends well to make it a Lexus \ Infinity of sorts - in terms of volumes.
Old 19th February 2012, 14:41   #7
A M
BHPian

Oh my my!!!
Many congrats on the Alfa. I genuinely hope Fiat brings the brand to India. Waiting for the review and interior pics.

Which is the green classic muscle car in the first pic?
Old 19th February 2012, 14:47   #8
BHPian

Congrats Jeeper on the beauty, Alfa is unique and oozes Italian flair.

How is the ride comfort with the 18ers? i guess 1 and half month wait time is not bad for a CBU from Italy.
Old 19th February 2012, 14:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

I've always been a sucker for Alfas. And while some companies lose their sense of style as the years go by, Alfa is one of those few brands that just keep getting better and better with every car. The Giulietta is arguably, the most beautiful hatchback ever! Everything works harmoniously. The wheels, the colour, and that lovely grille too! Every little detail is just W-O-W!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Bit of topic, but of curosity, do I see a Honda Jazz in first pic and Hyundai Gets in the last pic in the background?
Is that what you noticed?

My eyes scanned that beautiful Alfa Giulietta for a few moments, and then strayed towards that white Ford Focus RS and that dark-green muscle-car in the background. (and that red Forester too! I love Scoobies)

Which muscle-car is that? Looks great, from whatever I can see.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th February 2012 at 10:37. Reason: Edited out mod note :)
Old 19th February 2012, 15:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Nobody designs cars like the Italians - and this is no different! Very evocative looking car.

A query though: how is the reliability of this Alfa? Reports suggest Alfas generally suffer from electrical gremlins.
Old 20th February 2012, 09:19   #11
BHPian

Allright, a few more pics!

Driving report:

I drove the car long distance for the first time today (200 km each way). The response is excellent, the engine is very responsive. I did not feel a turbo lag at all, overtaking was effortless.

One thing however, when the car is idling (and the "stop/start" is off, I did this to test how the engine feels when its idling) - I can faintly hear the diesel rattle, I guess this is to be expected in a diesel car anyway.

The fuel economy is 4.5L/100km (approx 23 kmpl), and the fuel gauge is still sitting above the 1/2 tank mark after having driven 510 km. The distance to empty tells me it still has a range of 540 km, which means I can get over 1000km on a tank. I don't know how reliable this is though, I plan to drive and see how far I can go on one tank! Overall, I am very pleased with the diesel.
Attached Thumbnails
My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up-alfa-8.jpg  

My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up-alfa-9.jpg  

My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up-alfa-10.jpg  

My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up-alfa-11.jpg  

My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up-alfa-12.jpg  

My new Alfa Romeo Giulietta Diesel. EDIT: 35,000 kms up-alfa-13.jpg  

Jeeper1941 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 10:36   #12
Team-BHP Support

Note From Team-BHP Support Team: Thread moved from Assembly Line to Test Drives & Initial Ownership Reports section. Thank you for your valuable contribution.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats jeeper and wishing you a long and niggle free ownership.

Black interiors look awesome. Boot is also quite big for a hatch.

One noob question. You have mentioned the following in your first post.

"Daytime running lights are excellent. It gives the car a unique look, and it is a safety feature as well."

Are Daytime running lights mandatory down under? Did not quite get the Safety Feature bit.
Old 20th February 2012, 13:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Congrats jeeper and wishing you a long and niggle free ownership.

Black interiors look awesome. Boot is also quite big for a hatch.

One noob question. You have mentioned the following in your first post.

"Daytime running lights are excellent. It gives the car a unique look, and it is a safety feature as well."

Are Daytime running lights mandatory down under? Did not quite get the Safety Feature bit.
Thanks amitwlele, yes the DRLs are mandatory on highways/freeways, but they are rarely enforced. Many roads here are long and straight, and having lights on helps you with judging distances with the oncoming traffic especially when overtaking.

"Rule 214 of Road Rules - Victoria states that drivers must use headlights when driving 'at night or in hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility'."

daytime lights - RACV

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG
A query though: how is the reliability of this Alfa? Reports suggest Alfas generally suffer from electrical gremlins.
I hope this Alfa is reliable! Yes, I've heard a lot about the reliability of Alfas too, but in recent years they have improved a lot. I know 147 anf 159 owners who've had their cars for several years without any issues at all. Alfa also seems to be keen on showing off their reliability because the Giulietta has service intervals of 35,000 km.
Jeeper1941 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 15:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

@ Jeeper

What a beautiful ,exquisite piece of art. Michelangelo & Leonardo would weep with joy am sure. LOVE the car, love the pics !
Am pretty close to getting a typical Fiat crimson coloured 165ps 2.0 MJD (same engine as the 1 on your car i think) Fiat Bravo myself and somehow looking at your ride makes me want to drive to the ranjangaon facility near Pune RIGHT NOW and get that baby out of their clutches.
If that Bravo is even half as desirable as this baby Alfa , i will be a very very happy man !
Congratulations !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks