Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 21:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Debarshi (tbhp handle debarshim) is going with us in his Pajero. I dont know about any other Calcuttan.
Approx dates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
June/July a good time to drive to Ladakh? Lots of water crossings and high chances of slides isn't it? We encountered many even during late July couple of years back. Hope you have planned out your route pretty well. Wish all the best.

Oh darn. What happened to body double? He quit?
They are going to show off the prowess of their 4x4s.
If the body double has any spirit, he has most probably put his foot down, saying 'this time, I too am going and enjoying the fun'.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th May 2012, 00:14   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
June/July a good time to drive to Ladakh? Lots of water crossings and high chances of slides isn't it? We encountered many even during late July couple of years back. Hope you have planned out your route pretty well. Wish all the best.
I am not sure about the dates, but don't have any option. It has to be during that time or will need to wait another year. Ladakh is my dream and don't want to postpone the trip.

Quote:
Oh darn. What happened to body double? He quit?
Lol.. will be joining a new project, so no leaves after this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Approx dates?
14th June to 1st July. Final dates, not approx.

Quote:
They are going to show off the prowess of their 4x4s.
If the body double has any spirit, he has most probably put his foot down, saying 'this time, I too am going and enjoying the fun'.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta Da, I am a newbie with a 4x4. The Bolero has to show the prowess itself if it gets stuck
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:35   #78
BHPian

Quote:
On 22nd Feb 2012 got delivery of my Bolero LX 4wd from Royal Motors, Calcutta, almost 2 and half months after booking the vehicle.

I am on the lookout for a 4wd tourer. I guess this is the best bet as of now.

Had a question, by retrofitting the AC, isn't the warranty affected. Could you share more details, like how the dealer agreed to continue with the warranty and any conditions by the dealer.

What is the FE you are getting now in highways and city driving?
Old 25th May 2012, 00:10   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
I am on the lookout for a 4wd tourer. I guess this is the best bet as of now.

Had a question, by retrofitting the AC, isn't the warranty affected. Could you share more details, like how the dealer agreed to continue with the warranty and any conditions by the dealer.

What is the FE you are getting now in highways and city driving?
Hi gypsyfreak, I have replied to your PM.
Old 2nd June 2012, 03:04   #80
Team-BHP Support

Have not updated this thread for sometime. Got the 10K servicing done sometime back. Changed air filter and fuel filters. Got the underbody anti-rust coating done. They also applied the chemical on the doors. Fitted a a roof rack and Sutripta Da came and inspected it. Need to get a few things done as per his comments. Also removed the last row seats to free up some additional space for the up-coming Ladakh trip. Has been a long time since I took some pics of the White Tusker. Tomorrow seems to be a good day for that . Experience with the Bolero till date (keeping in mind the drawbacks inherent to the vehicle) is 10/10. Even wifey has started loving it in spite of all the bumpiness, discomfort and cabbie image .
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 22:54   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Have not updated this thread for sometime. Got the 10K servicing done sometime back. Changed air filter and fuel filters. Got the underbody anti-rust coating done. They also applied the chemical on the doors. Fitted a a roof rack and Sutripta Da came and inspected it. Need to get a few things done as per his comments. Also removed the last row seats to free up some additional space for the up-coming Ladakh trip. Has been a long time since I took some pics of the White Tusker. Tomorrow seems to be a good day for that . Experience with the Bolero till date (keeping in mind the drawbacks inherent to the vehicle) is 10/10. Even wifey has started loving it in spite of all the bumpiness, discomfort and cabbie image .
Hi, I am too looking for a bolero 4x4 and today swami motors gave me a quote of 6.38 for di model without ac, but he told me its available in highroof version.now the biggest question that i have in mind is after reading the full well written review by you is that how on a scale of 10 would u rate the ride?.as my primary usage will be for long jaunts to the hills and non exsistent road, after reading 4x4 addict's review of 4x4 scorpio i am not going to buy that one .Secondly i will be more interested in buying a flat roof as yours so please can you help me with any contact no in mahindra who can get this done for me . thanks a ton nice write up.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:04   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbug View Post
Hi, I am too looking for a bolero 4x4 and today swami motors gave me a quote of 6.38 for di model without ac, but he told me its available in highroof version.now the biggest question that i have in mind is after reading the full well written review by you is that how on a scale of 10 would u rate the ride?.as my primary usage will be for long jaunts to the hills and non exsistent road, after reading 4x4 addict's review of 4x4 scorpio i am not going to buy that one .Secondly i will be more interested in buying a flat roof as yours so please can you help me with any contact no in mahindra who can get this done for me . thanks a ton nice write up.
@jeepbug, the model I got is Bolero LX 4WD 7 Seater. It has factory fitted power steering but does not have an AC. The one you are talking about is the Bolero Di 4WD. I have driven the Bolero for about 25 Hours non-stop (except bio and fuel breaks) over horrible roads and still did not get any back ache. Considering the fact that I have slipped disc, I would rate the ride quality as tolerable in the front seats. I have no idea about the back seats but people say that it is quite bumpy. I would request you to take a first hand experience rather than relying on others views as it can be biased. For your queries you can send an email to Sinha.DEEPAKKUMAR@mahindra.com. Deepak looks after the sales in the eastern region, but I am sure he can point you to the right people. Let me know if you need further information.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 23:30   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl
Got the underbody anti-rust coating done. They also applied the chemical on the doors.
Hi,
Can you please share some more details of the same?
What product you used for anti rust & what was the cost?
What underbody parts do they cover / ignore?
Warranty? Etc...

Also what type of security you have installed in your Bolero? Does Gear lock fit on 4wd models?

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 28th June 2012 at 23:31.
Old 8th July 2012, 00:09   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Hi,
Can you please share some more details of the same?
What product you used for anti rust & what was the cost?
What underbody parts do they cover / ignore?
Warranty? Etc...

Also what type of security you have installed in your Bolero? Does Gear lock fit on 4wd models?
I have no idea about the product. The cost was Rs. 3800. Apart from gear box, everything is coated. Warranty is for 2 years.

I have not installed anything extra for security in my Bolero. Wanted to get a gear lock but have not been able to find one in Calcutta. Frankly speaking, I have not looked for it much.
Old 9th July 2012, 13:18   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl

I have no idea about the product. The cost was Rs. 3800. Apart from gear box, everything is coated. Warranty is for 2 years.

I have not installed anything extra for security in my Bolero. Wanted to get a gear lock but have not been able to find one in Calcutta. Frankly speaking, I have not looked for it much.
Thanks for the reply.
I think there is option of gearlock available under Bolero accessories for around 1500rs. You can check that.

Hope you are enjoying the Greens with your Bolero now that its raining good.

PS: Sent you a PM.
Old 12th August 2012, 02:36   #86
Team-BHP Support

20000 Kms update

Clocked 20,000 Kms. Loving the reliability and ruggedness of the Bolero. Engine noise has gone down a bit. Can touch 120 kmph on open stretches, after waiting for 30 minutes . Looking forward to another long drive, but currently stuck pretty badly at office.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 14:49   #87
Team-BHP Support

Crossed 34 K mark in just less than a year. Two weeks back did a Kolkata-Nawalgarh-Jaisalmer-Kumbhalgarh-Udaipur-Kolkata (5282Km) trip in the Bolero in 9 days. That almost averages at 500Kms a day. Never thought that it would be doable in such a crude vehicle. Two days back busted the pipe hanging below the gearbox while offroading in a river in Sikkim. Travelled 30 kms without clutch and got it fixed at Pakhyong. Costed Rs 280 The Bolero amazes us in every trip with its capabilities, only wish the underbody was a little better engineered and it had a little more ground clearance considering that it is a 4WD vehicle.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 17:40   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Crossed 34 K mark in just less than a year.
Hello Black Pearl,
34K's in a year is some serious mile munching. Now that's what I call optimum utilization of resources!!!. Just wanted to know, what is the avg that you're getting out of the beast?
Also have you fitted PS in your Bolero

Regards,
Varun
Old 13th February 2013, 18:32   #89
BHPian

That was great Blackpearl but we do miss you in the OTR at Pandua. When will we get to see your beast again in action?? What has been the service centre experience with regard to servicing your Bolero. I will almost certainly not ask about FE. It isn't appropriate being a jeeper to ask about FE. What more places do you intend to cover in this year??
Old 13th February 2013, 23:45   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello Black Pearl,
34K's in a year is some serious mile munching. Now that's what I call optimum utilization of resources!!!. Just wanted to know, what is the avg that you're getting out of the beast?
Also have you fitted PS in your Bolero

Regards,
Varun
The best FE that I have got is about 13.5 kmpl on the highways and worst is about 10 kmpl in Ladakh.The LX came fitted with a PS though it was not supposed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
That was great Blackpearl but we do miss you in the OTR at Pandua. When will we get to see your beast again in action?? What has been the service centre experience with regard to servicing your Bolero. I will almost certainly not ask about FE. It isn't appropriate being a jeeper to ask about FE. What more places do you intend to cover in this year??
@tacho9000, even I am missing those events, but outstation trips have higher priority . Will try to attend the next OTR. I am a novice in offroading and can learn a lot of things from these OTRs. But having a single vehicle for long journeys as well as OTRs is not the most prudent thing. IMHO it is better to have a dedicated offroading vehicle. Morover, this time I felt that the Bolero needs modification on the ground clearance part and also protection for some vital areas like sump and the gearbox to become a serious off-roader.
The servicing experience has been good at Royal Motors, but in recent times I have been going to Castrol Pitstop in Sector V due to convenience.
Ever since we got the Bolero we have done the following long trips, next one should be Bhutan if everything goes fine -
1. March - Kolkata-Buxa-Darjeeling-Sandakphu-Kolkata
2. April - Kolkata-Sandakphu-Phalut-Kolkata
3. May - Kolkata-Lava-Charkhole-Kolkata
4. June - Kolkata-Srinagar-Kargil-Zanskar-Leh-Pangong-Manali-Kolkata
5. September - Kolkata-Gangtok-Kolkata
6. December - Kolkata-Kaluk-Uttarey-Darjeeling-Kolkata
7. January - Kolkata-Nawalgarh-Jaisalmer-Kunmbahlgarh-Udaipur-Kolkata
8. February - Kolkata-Sillery-Aritar-Manghim-Gangtok-Kolkata

Last edited by BlackPearl : 13th February 2013 at 23:53.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks