Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 00:19   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4

Not updated this thread for a long time. The Maxxis tyres had lost most of the treads at 45000 Kms. Changed 5 tyres to Michelin LTX 235/70/R15. The previous size was 215. The upsize has given a better stance to the Bolero. Went to Ladakh and back for a 6000+ kms drive and the tyres have performed really well. The White Tusker crossed 50K kilometers.
Old 10th July 2014, 21:53   #107
BHPian

Please let us know how Michelin LTX 235/70/R15 are performing on your Bolero. I have a Bolero running on Yokohoma Geolanders which have completing 65K. Geolanders have proved their worth with superior grip levels. I felt my Bolero's handling & braking to have improved a lot after the changeover from Bridgestone Duellers.

The only problem I have been seeing recently on Geolanders are that the outer tread is wearing alternatively, i.e, the buttons on the outer tread pattern are wearing alternatively wornout.

However my regular tyre alignment guys were recommending Michellin LTX for my next change over. But I have not seen Michellin LTX available in 215/75 R15.

Few questions from my side:
- Have you fitted Michelin LTX 235/70/R15 on stock rims?
- How is the ride, handling & braking with the wider tyres?
- Any drop in fuel efficiency? (Asking this, since my running is around 30-35k kms in a year).

My Bolero has completed 150k kms and has taken us to a lot of places including Ladakh in last 4+ years and has been truly been a warrior never letting us down anytime.

I admire your white tusker with 4wd and those beautiful trips, happy motoring.
Herbie98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 00:27   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post

Few questions from my side:
- Have you fitted Michelin LTX 235/70/R15 on stock rims?
- How is the ride, handling & braking with the wider tyres?
- Any drop in fuel efficiency? (Asking this, since my running is around 30-35k kms in a year).

I admire your white tusker with 4wd and those beautiful trips, happy motoring.
Thanks Herbie. To answer your questions -
-Yes, the tyres have been fitted on the stock rims. And I was wrong, the tyre size is 235/75/R15 and not 235/70

-The ride has definitely got plusher, but I am not sure about the handling and braking as I have driven very cautiously. Will be able to give better review after a clocking some more miles.

- There has been no drop in fuel efficiency.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 12:24   #109
BHPian

Hi BlackPearl,

Thanks for quick inputs. If possible please post a picture of the tusker with the LTX tyres.

Thanks!
Old 23rd July 2014, 00:34   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
Hi BlackPearl,

Thanks for quick inputs. If possible please post a picture of the tusker with the LTX tyres.

Thanks!
Here is a picture of the Bolero with the new tires, sorry for the poor quality. Will try to post some better pics from the recent Ladakh trip

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-untitled_bolero.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 16:58   #111
Team-BHP Support

All the Mahindra adventure and Maxxis stickers were removed and the White Tusker was given a thorough polish. This is how it looks now -

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-dsc_1713.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-dsc_1714.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-dsc_1715.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 15:25   #112
BHPian

Hi BlackPearl!

Advance Pujo Greetings from a fellow Kolkatan! I believe your shopping should be nearing completion.

I seek your advice, as after driving a Tata Nano and SX4 for the last 5 - 6 years, I'm still waiting for my perfect ride. I'm now in the market for an SUV, and have shortlisted the Bolero LX 4WD w/ PS but w/o AC. I have a list if quails to trouble you with, but I believe you will bear with me. I'm all not able to PM, so please let me have your email address!

Looking forward to having an interesting conversation with you.

--
Regards,

JKDS
Old 18th September 2014, 14:43   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDS View Post
Hi BlackPearl!

Advance Pujo Greetings from a fellow Kolkatan! I believe your shopping should be nearing completion.

I seek your advice, as after driving a Tata Nano and SX4 for the last 5 - 6 years, I'm still waiting for my perfect ride. I'm now in the market for an SUV, and have shortlisted the Bolero LX 4WD w/ PS but w/o AC. I have a list if quails to trouble you with, but I believe you will bear with me. I'm all not able to PM, so please let me have your email address!

Looking forward to having an interesting conversation with you.

--
Regards,

JKDS
Thanks JKDS, advanced pujo greetings to you as well. My email id is sumitro_in at the rate yahoo dot com.
Old 13th October 2014, 17:52   #114
Team-BHP Support

Leaf spring tension on the Bolero has been restored and the prop shaft bearing was replaced. The vehicle is riding like new. The best part is the cost of fixing these things is just 8000 bucks. Did a 400 Km road trip with 6 people on board and ride quality was fabulous. I never thought that the ride quality could be this good because all these years only two of us were going around in the Bolero and it was jumpy. Thinking of putting some dummy weight at the back
A pic from the recent trip -

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-dsc_2227-copy.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 20:25   #115
Team-BHP Support

I have removed the side steps of the Bolero and am in a dilemma whether to go for after market sidesteps or not. Posting some pics with the side steps removed. Suggestions are most welcome.

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-dsc_2373.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-dsc_2375.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-dsc_2378.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-dsc_2379.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-dsc_2381.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-dsc_2384.jpg
Old 20th October 2014, 20:51   #116
Senior - BHPian

You all are young enough to jump in/ out of the vehicle! If you are thinking of sidesteps, you are too old. Sedans for you then.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 18:39   #117
Senior - BHPian

BP - removing the side steps can be an eyesore, because it is exposing the exhaust. That is it. Unless you did it on purpose, keep it stock.

Cheers
planet_rocker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 20:43   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
BP - removing the side steps can be an eyesore, because it is exposing the exhaust. That is it. Unless you did it on purpose, keep it stock.

Cheers
Yes, that exhaust is looking ugly IMO as well. After market black side step should resolve that.
Old 21st October 2014, 23:50   #119
BHPian

Dada, just my two cents, but the Tusker, with the stock bumpers, I'm not really sure whether aftermarket side steps are going to do any justice to the aesthetics, or to the functionality of the vehicle. Although, as internet searches would reveal, custom front and rear bumpers, with custom rock sliders (if so deemed required) would aid in aggravating the "mess-with-me-and-you-are-pulp" stance of the Tusker. But sans the side steps, it is displeasing to the eyes.

And agreeing with Sutripta Da, absence of the side steps would do a world of good to our agility training but I'm not really sure whether the seniors are going to agree, what say? **giggles**
JKDS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 08:50   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Yes, that exhaust is looking ugly IMO as well. After market black side step should resolve that.
I would recommend aftermarket rock sliders fabricated by a good workshop. This will not only enhance the looks but also protect the bodywork.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed