Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2016, 12:11   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4

Even after fitting the free-wheeling hubs the noise on deceleration was not gone. Took the car to a local garage and put it on a lift for a thorough checkup. Finally found the issue to be a worn out bush in the rear propeller shaft. Though it was not a critical thing but the sound was very irritating. Finally happy that it has been resolved and a good learning experience. Cost of rectification was Rs. 200. Love the Bolero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Hey buddy, good to see you still enjoying your car. The hubs are a good addition IMO without any serious downsides. Mine are old and battered, having scraped a lot of rocks (before my time), but they still work fine.
Thanks Eric!

Quote:
Was wondering, if you're ever at your local M&M showroom there, if you could inquire as to whether the LX 4x4 is still available. I know these were always special order (a friend here bought one a year and a half ago), but am now told by the local showroom here that production has permanently ceased as of 3-4 months ago. Website still shows both it and the Plus 4x4 as available, so I don't know. I was looking into it on behalf of a local NGO who really needs something simple/rugged to replace an old Commander. Looks like options are steadily disappearing.
Will surely try to find out about the availability of the LX 4x4.

Quote:
Not much going on with our Marshal. It seems to have settled out mostly and is not requiring much attention, at least for low-key local plying. Wife still wants the interior work completed of course (one of these days...).
Good to hear that. I really love the looks of the Marshal and the Armada.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 21:12   #137
BHPian

Hi BlackPearl,

Do you face pockmarks on your front windscreen?

My Bolero is a 2009 model, done 228k kms as on date and I am on my 4th windscreen. The reason being in less than a year, my windscreen gets so many pockmarks/ spots i.e, when running a finger on a clean windscreen I can feel so may rough spots and when viewing sunlight during sunrise/ sunset the spots can be clearly seen.

This makes night driving tiring to eyes, as the lights from opposite vehicles are scattered or dispersed and visibility becomes limited due to this.

I am a regular on highways and get a lot of bug hits during dawn and dusk. Is it the upright windscreen angle, due to which it gets damaged so soon? In that case the Scorpio also has almost similar windscreen angle.

Is anyone else facing this kind of issues? Please advise whats the best possible solution.

Thanks!
Herbie98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 13:51   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
Hi BlackPearl,

This makes night driving tiring to eyes, as the lights from opposite vehicles are scattered or dispersed and visibility becomes limited due to this.

Thanks!
I too have the dispersion and visibility problems in my 2007 Bolero. Haven't changed the windscreen yet. How much does it cost?

One thing i noticed is when a bug hits, i switch on the washer / wiper......which actually worsens the situation. Last time during a night drive, i didn't use the washer / wiper. Instead i occasionally stopped and washed the glass with soap and water. It was better.

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 16th July 2016 at 13:56.
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 16:17   #139
BHPian

Saint-Gobain windscreen costed me Rs 3500. The same Saint-Gobain if bought as a Mahindra geniue spares packaging costs around Ra 4500-5000. I haven't enquired what's the cost for an AIS one.
Herbie98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 00:21   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
Hi BlackPearl,

My Bolero is a 2009 model, done 228k kms as on date and I am on my 4th windscreen. The reason being in less than a year, my windscreen gets so many pockmarks/ spots i.e, when running a finger on a clean windscreen I can feel so may rough spots and when viewing sunlight during sunrise/ sunset the spots can be clearly seen.

I am a regular on highways and get a lot of bug hits during dawn and dusk. Is it the upright windscreen angle, due to which it gets damaged so soon? In that case the Scorpio also has almost similar windscreen angle.

Is anyone else facing this kind of issues? Please advise whats the best possible solution.

Thanks!
Hi Herbie98, I have not faced any visibility issue with the windscreen and I travel extensively on the highways at night. I usually clean the glass with Colin spray and newspaper.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 09:24   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Hi Herbie98, I have not faced any visibility issue with the windscreen and I travel extensively on the highways at night. I usually clean the glass with Colin spray and newspaper.
If you spend a lot of time on the highways, this is a common problem after some years with just about ANY car. If it's not the pitting from sand, etc, it can be micro-scratches from the wiper blades, etc.

I saw in the back of some Indian automotive magazine a supplier offering glass polishing products. If you can find someone who's doing that work, they might be able to offer some improvement;

However, in my experience, the best thing to do is to just fit a new windscreen. I got a new one for the Marshal for this reason, and believe it to be worth every paisa. A few thousand for new glass is cheap insurance the way I see it. Very miserable and very dangerous to not be able to see well at night (particularly if you live in a place where people refuse to dip their high beams to oncoming traffic). And you'll notice a much clearer and more pleasant view in the daytime, too.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 09:45   #142
BANNED

Quote:
A few thousand for new glass is cheap insurance the way I see it.
It can also be covered by insurance, if you are smart, that is.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:37   #143
Team-BHP Support

Recently the Bolero completed 5 years and the odometer stands at a shade above 80 thousand kilometers. It has been a fantastic journey so far. I thought of noting down all the places that it has taken us to, but then realised that I can't remember all of them. The Bolero has given us the freedom to travel anywhere without planning, without thinking what kind of road conditions we might face, what difficulties can come in our way. It has changed the way we travel, the impact that the Bolero has made in our life is beyond words. Truly speaking, I pat my back for going ahead with the decision of getting the Bolero 5 years back. It has a lot of flaws, but at the end of the day it brings a smile on my face and that is all I need

A few videos and pictures -

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20161004_121849.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20161007_133203.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20170316_171625.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd March 2017 at 21:41.
BlackPearl is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 00:30   #144
Team-BHP Support

82000 Kms update:

Got dogbone shackles installed last week. I had ordered the shackles from SwastikFabs and as usual the delivery was super fast. The package arrived in just one and a half days

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20170406_230239.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20170406_230406.jpg

The shackles have given approximately 40mm lift. Please note that it does not raise the ground clearance. But since the gap between the tyre and the wheel well has increased, I can go for a higher profile tyre which in turn will raise the ground clearance further.

Before pic:
BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20170205_121208.jpg

After pic:
BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-img_20170413_163048.jpg

I have driven around 300 kilometers after fitting the shackles, so it is too early to say the effects apart from the obvious body lift. The ride has become a bit more pliant, though it might be a placebo effect as my wife is not agreeing to it
Will update the thread as I keep piling on kilometers.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 16th April 2017 at 00:31.
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 11:27   #145
BANNED

Quote:
82000 Kms update:
The ride has become a bit more pliant, though it might be a placebo effect as my wife is not agreeing to it
Will update the thread as I keep piling on kilometers.
That some nice mileage on your truck I say, and an exciting journey so far as well...!!! Congratulations.

I too cannot fathom the lift kit giving you a pliant ride unless the leaves were also worked upon, so agree to what your missus says.

@Mods: Time to move this to the Long termers section.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 13:44   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The ride has become a bit more pliant,
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I too cannot fathom the lift kit giving you a pliant ride unless the leaves were also worked upon, so agree to what your missus says.
Longer shackles allows more flex in the leaf springs. My ride also improved after putting longer shackles in my Thar DI.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 17:33   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Longer shackles allows more flex in the leaf springs. My ride also improved after putting longer shackles in my Thar DI.
Do they work on rear leaf springs too (Bolero)? Are they helpful only for off-roading? Do they alter road manners / load capacity?

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th April 2017, 19:48   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Do they work on rear leaf springs too (Bolero)? Are they helpful only for off-roading? Do they alter road manners / load capacity?

Thanks in advance.
@Torqy, I have installed them at the rear as well. These are helpful for increasing the gap between the tyres and the wheel well so that they do not scrape during articulation.

You can go through this post by Arka on the advantages and disadvantages of longer shackles -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ml#post2395167

I am quoting him as well here -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Sudarshan JEE,

I will try to explain in a non-scientific manner.

Advantages of Shackle Lift

i) Cheapest alternative to lifting a vehicle 1-2inches over stock. (Compared to Taller Leaf Springs/Suspension Lift)

ii) Does not require drive train modification (compared to SPOA)
a) Steering
b) Prop-Shaft Angles
c) Re-Orientation of the Front Knuckle

iii) Allows the Leaf to flex more, thereby allowing better articulation

Disadvantages

i) Steeper Steering Angles

ii) Higher Chances of Bump Steer

iii) Reduced Steering re-centering (Slightly to very obvious)

iv) Noticeable Axle Wrap (Slightly to very obvious).

iii) Increased body roll as the chassis and Body sit Higher.

iv) Ride Quality may improve or become worse. The shackle acts as a pre-load on the suspension/Leaf Spring.

In some case, when the vehicle is carrying passenger/goods (ideal Weight), the ride is much better, than without weight.

In some cases when the vehicle is overloaded, the suspension/leaf spring cannot take the weight and results in a very harsh ride.

Imagine the suspension as a rubber band looped around your thumb and index finger, if it is slack you cannot sling it. If it is stretched to tight, even then you cannot sling it, worse, it will break.

The Ideal pre-load/stretch for the rubber band will depend on its length/circumference, thickness, elasticity and how far you want to throw the paper pellet.

Shackle Lift is suitable for terrain, where the general going is slow, like crawling and articulation type of obstacles.

Regards,

Arka
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 12:25   #149
BHPian

Quote:
You can go through this post by Arka on the advantages and disadvantages of longer shackles -
Thank You for that detailed reply. Looks like it's made for a purpose. I'll stick to the original setup since i'm not into offroading. Just got the 4 shocks replaced on my SLE after 1.1L in 10 yrs.
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 12:38   #150
Team-BHP Support

Have you not replaced the tires? To something in AT or would it be MY?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed