Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2017, 18:14   #151
Team-BHP Support

Re: BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Have you not replaced the tires? To something in AT or would it be MY?
I had replaced the OEM Maxxis tyres with Michelin LTX AT (235/75/R15), but then moved them to the Thar. The Bolero is currently running on the Bridgestone Dueler HT (235/70/R16) that came with the Thar. It is due for a change soon, waiting for a lottery
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 00:19   #152
Team-BHP Support

The Bolero continues to amaze in off-road situations. Even with almost bald tyres at the rear, it keeps coming out of difficult situations on its own. The DI engine is a gem

Posting a few pics from the recent off-road event, pictures credit: AJ-got-BHP

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-bolero_lx_4wd_blackpearl_sumitro_1.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-bolero_lx_4wd_blackpearl_sumitro_2.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-bolero_lx_4wd_blackpearl_sumitro_3.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-bolero_lx_4wd_blackpearl_sumitro_4.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-bolero_lx_4wd_blackpearl_sumitro_5.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-bolero_lx_4wd_blackpearl_sumitro_6.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-bolero_lx_4wd_blackpearl_sumitro_7.jpg

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-bolero_lx_4wd_blackpearl_sumitro_8.jpg

Last edited by BlackPearl : 1st August 2017 at 00:38.
BlackPearl is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 08:31   #153
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved to the Long-term Ownerships Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2017, 17:43   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
The Bolero continues to amaze in off-road situations. Even with almost bald tyres at the rear, it keeps coming out of difficult situations on its own.
Even after over six years of Love/Hate with my SLX, reading your posts and seeing your images, wants to make me start all over again with LX 4x4, if they still sell them.

I love so many things broadly about the Bolero but few little things nag me constantly :-)
bolbolerobol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 16:57   #155
BHPian

Your thread is nothing short of amazing and it influenced me enough to get my own Bolero Lx 4wd last year. I keep coming back to this thread from time to time to see your updates on your ride.

Since you have already covered some distance with the dog-bone shackles installed, I would love get a feedback on how it has affected the driving dynamics. I am planning for a tyre change to 235/75 R15 on my Bolero and am contemplating whether to go for the dog-bone shackles. Thanks.

P.S. My first post on Teambhp
gunin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 23:52   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolbolerobol View Post
Even after over six years of Love/Hate with my SLX, reading your posts and seeing your images, wants to make me start all over again with LX 4x4, if they still sell them.

I love so many things broadly about the Bolero but few little things nag me constantly :-)
Thank you Yes, the LX has a lot of things going in its favour, I just wish Mahindra provided the Thar's engine in it. If that is asking for too much, then at least a 80 bhp engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunin View Post
Your thread is nothing short of amazing and it influenced me enough to get my own Bolero Lx 4wd last year. I keep coming back to this thread from time to time to see your updates on your ride.

Since you have already covered some distance with the dog-bone shackles installed, I would love get a feedback on how it has affected the driving dynamics. I am planning for a tyre change to 235/75 R15 on my Bolero and am contemplating whether to go for the dog-bone shackles. Thanks.

P.S. My first post on Teambhp
Thanks a lot for the nice words gunin! Please let me know how to contact you as I have been to Guwahati and will go again, so we can meet next time.

Regarding the dogbone shackles, the ride is definitely more plush now as the leaf springs don't hit the bump stops anymore. But the handling has been affected, it has become a bit vague compared to stock shackles. For 235/75/R15 you don't need longer shackles on the LX. Mine was fitted with tyres of these specs in 2014 and there was no problem. Later I shifted to 235/70/R16, and it was still fine. I went for dogbone shackles as I want to get 245/70/R16 tyres for the Bolero.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 22nd November 2017 at 23:58.
Old 24th November 2017, 10:01   #157
BHPian

Thanks a lot Blackpearl for the feedback I am not going install the dog-bone shackles during the tyre change then.
My email id is guninmatak@gmail.com. Please let me know when you are coming here.
gunin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 21:31   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunin View Post
Thanks a lot Blackpearl for the feedback I am not going install the dog-bone shackles during the tyre change then.
My email id is guninmatak@gmail.com. Please let me know when you are coming here.
Hello Gunin, since you had asked about the handling of the Bolero after installing the longer shackles, I have posted a video of the Bolero in a slalom. It was not too far behind Duster AWD and Linea in terms of timing in this short slalom. So I would say that the handling is not too bad after installing the longer shackles.

BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 13:17   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Gunin, since you had asked about the handling of the Bolero after installing the longer shackles, I have posted a video of the Bolero in a slalom. It was not too far behind Duster AWD and Linea in terms of timing in this short slalom. So I would say that the handling is not too bad after installing the longer shackles.
Thanks a lot Blackpearl. That is some impressive driving. But I think you will be fast even with a Tata 407
gunin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 16:53   #160
Team-BHP Support

Participated in the year end off-roading meet organised by Kolkata Offroaders with the Bolero LX. The location was superb. I had a lot of fun with Bolero slipping and sliding all over the place with bald rear tyres
Here is a video of the Bolero on the Mundeshwari river. It got stuck at the end though, due to lack of tyre grip along with a mistake in choosing the right line of exit

Video clips taken by navsjab, ghostrider28 and senhero

Last edited by BlackPearl : 3rd January 2018 at 17:09.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 08:05   #161
BHPian

Sir BlackPearl, greetings to you.

The reason I am in this thread is because of a query which I have and it has been bugging me since a few days. The question in my mind is more of a psychological one rather than mechanical or any other of that sort. I have been extensively using the Grand i10 (Asta) from the past 8 months for my commute to college which is a 65kms up and down journey. After I complete my graduation I am thinking of getting a Bolero (m2dicr variant to be precise) as I can't take the Hyundai with me when I go to pursue higher studies as it is also the beater car in home doing the local chores. And the reason of upgrading to a Bolero is due to the robust build quality, massive road presence, less gizmos on-board and the abuse friendly/easy on the pocket m2di engine (apart from my love for the old school jeep inspired looks). Now comes the real question.

Can I survive with a Bolero after using a car like Grand i10? The m2di engine, even though can take a world of abuse isn't a 0-100 in 13 seconds kind like the Hyundai. I am fine with the bumpy ride and I think I can live with that. Are there any other things that I should consider if I am to make the jump? Since you are living/lived with a fast (compared to the Bolero) hatchback/sedan having superior comfort and refinement in your garage and can differentiate between the Bolero and other cars, from a driver's perspective I would like your inputs on the situation I am having.

Regards

Last edited by Eddy : 17th March 2018 at 05:24. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Tanveer02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 01:11   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer02 View Post
Sir BlackPearl, greetings to you.
The reason I am in this thread is because of a query which I have and it has been bugging me since a few days. The question in my mind is more of a psychological one rather than mechanical or any other of that sort. I have been extensively using the Grand i10 (Asta) from the past 8 months for my commute to college which is a 65kms up and down journey. After I complete my graduation I am thinking of getting a Bolero (m2dicr variant to be precise) as I can't take the Hyundai with me when I go to pursue higher studies as it is also the beater car in home doing the local chores. And the reason of upgrading to a Bolero is due to the robust build quality, massive road presence, less gizmos on-board and the abuse friendly/easy on the pocket m2di engine (apart from my love for the old school jeep inspired looks). Now comes the real question. Can I survive with a Bolero after using a car like Grand i10? The m2di engine, even though can take a world of abuse isn't a 0-100 in 13 seconds kind like the Hyundai. I am fine with the bumpy ride and I think I can live with that. Are there any other things that I should consider if I am to make the jump? Since you are living/lived with a fast (compared to the Bolero) hatchback/sedan having superior comfort and refinement in your garage and can differentiate between the Bolero and other cars, from a driver's perspective I would like your inputs on the situation I am having.
Regards
It is a very difficult question to the wrong person I absolutely love the Bolero and that makes me biased towards it. Mine is 4x4 version, so it is quite different from the 2WD version. The 2WD Bolero has a better ride quality than 4WD. But frankly I don't see any reason to buy the Bolero at this point, it is not cheap any more. It is quite slow, a pain on the highways and specially on single lane country roads where every overtake has to be carefully thought through. I would suggest to take long test drives and decide. If I were in your place, I would not buy the 2WD Bolero. 4WD? yes simply because there is no other alternative at this price point.
Old 12th March 2018, 19:01   #163
BHPian

Thank you for the reply
Now only a test drive can tell whether I have a future with the Bolero or not. I don't know if Mahindra is aware of this fact but Bolero is quite a popular choice amongst youngsters in our North Eastern part of the country, again here, due to the old school jeep inspired looks and tough build. Many prefer this particular SUV in place of faster hatchbacks and other costlier offerings. I have seen the same while I was on a visit to parts of Punjab and Himachal last year. Mahindra is missing quite a good market here. They can establish this car as a young centric retro-modern SUV in an another variant apart from the urban area workhorse it already is. If that's too much to ask then just provide a better engine that is more engaging to drive. Even the old 97bhp engine from the now discontinued Storm would suffice (in my case). I hope they are listening to the demands of this young Bolero fan

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 12th March 2018 at 19:20.
Tanveer02 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2018, 04:41   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer02 View Post
Thank you for the reply
Now only a test drive can tell whether I have a future with the Bolero or not. I don't know if Mahindra is aware of this fact but Bolero is quite a popular choice amongst youngsters in our North Eastern part of the country, again here, due to the old school jeep inspired looks and tough build. Many prefer this particular SUV in place of faster hatchbacks and other costlier offerings. I have seen the same while I was on a visit to parts of Punjab and Himachal last year. Mahindra is missing quite a good market here. They can establish this car as a young centric retro-modern SUV in an another variant apart from the urban area workhorse it already is. If that's too much to ask then just provide a better engine that is more engaging to drive. Even the old 97bhp engine from the now discontinued Storm would suffice (in my case). I hope they are listening to the demands of this young Bolero fan
Yes Tanveer02, Bolero is very popular in the North East. It looks quite nice as well if done up a bit with bigger tyres and alloys. In fact I love the looks of the Bolero. It is also rugged and can take a lot of abuse. But one has to remember that it is well past its prime. It is not a very safe vehicle, it will not pass crash tests. Sales are also going down with people moving over to more modern cars. So it is only a matter of time before Mahindra has to stop making the vehicle. Even Land Rover had to stop building the iconic Defender
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 20:11   #165
BHPian

Quote:
It looks quite nice as well if done up a bit with bigger tyres and alloys. In fact I love the looks of the Bolero. It is also rugged and can take a lot of abuse.
It is an amazing car, which has tons of potential. If Mahindra was to come up with an updated version I'm sure it would sell. However, that might risk sales of their other bread and butter SUVs.

BlackPearl I saw some serious wading in some pictures, did you never want to instal a snorkel?
VivOverland is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks