Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2012, 16:49   #1
Team-BHP Support

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4

On 22nd Feb 2012 got delivery of my Bolero LX 4wd from Royal Motors, Calcutta, almost 2 and half months after booking the vehicle. I cannot say that I was in great dilemma before booking the Bolero mainly because of my requirement and my budget. I had made up my mind that my next car would be an SUV/UV. I was looking for a car with minimum electronics, rugged go-anywhere capability, good looking, can be repaired anywhere, reliable, cheap to maintain, will not get a heart attack every time those cabs and autos come nearby - the Bolero fitted my requirements to the T. I did consider a few other cars namely -

1> Mahindra Scorpio LX 4x4 - This vehicle was just launched, but the dealerships were not aware of it and thus could not provide any information. I could have pushed them more to get information, but it was also out of my budget.
2> Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4 - I loved this vehicle but found out that it needed a lot of modification before I could utilise it as a primary vehicle. Security was a major concern on those long distance trips that I frequently do. In my opinion, it would be an excellent 2nd or 3rd vehicle for recreational purpose and offroading. It would be also ideal as a "project" vehicle with innumerable mod options.
3> Tata Safari LX - This was the only Safari model within my budget. But I was not able to get test drive due to the lackadaisical attitude of the dealers. On two occasions they had promised to send the car to my house for a TD, but they did not show up citing some problem with the vehicle. Moreover it would not be a 4wd vehicle, so I opted out.
4> Tata Xenon 4wd - I was bolwed over by the looks of this vehicle on the net, but could not see this vehicle at the showroom and the sales people were not even able to provide a brochure. I had high opinion about this vehicle, but could not book one without actually seeing the vehicle.
5> Maruti Gypsy - The Gypsy soft top was actually my first choice, but the dealers said that it would take 6 to 7 months to get the vehicle. I did not like the looks of the hard top gypsy and the security concerns were same as that of Thar. The rising price of petrol did not help either.

I had also looked at several used Pajero s but none of the good ones came within my budget.

There was only one dealership in Kolkata who were aware of the model called Bolero LX 4wd. One and half months after booking, I had received no information from the dealership regarding the progress of the vehicle. Heck, I was not even sure that the plant was going to manufacture this vehicle. I had put up a question on TBhp and most of the people responded that Bolero LX 4wd is no longer manufactured. Then I contacted a person from Mahindra who had promised that the vehicle will be manufactured, but will take some time as Bolero LX 4wd are made on govt. order only. After innumerable emails and phone calls, on 12th February I was informed that the vehicle had left the plant. At that time I came to know from a Bolero Di 4x4 owner that the Boleros are driven down from the plants and not transported by trucks. On 15th Feb, I was called up and told that the vehicle had arrived at the Mahindra yard. The next day, it was transferred to the dealer yard and incidentally this yard was a 2 minute walk from my place. The next day I visited the yard at least 5 times to have a look at the car and take pictures.

I have driven about 400 Kms after getting the vehicle and the pros and cons so far are -

Likes -
1> Looks (except the walrus tooth)
2> Ruggedness - everything feels so solid
3> Rear door mounted spare tire
4> Lever instead of switch for the 4wd selector
5> Gear shift is very smooth

Dislikes -

1> Ride quality
2> Seats are very firm, need some cushion. Got new seat covers today, will try to put up some pics.
3> Lever for the 4wd selector is in an awkward position
4> The gear knob is squarish and different from conventional roundish ones that I have been used to. Does not feel good at all.

Some Details:

Engine: MDI3200TC BSIII
AC: No
PS: Yes
Tires: Maxxis Bravo 751 215 75 R15
Fuel efficiency till now: 12 kmpl
First Service: Due at 5000 Km as per the manual.

There is a carpet behind the engine but it does very little to deaden the sound. The car is sluggish, but not something I cannot live with. It pulls decently in 3rd gear and does not feel strained at 100 Kmph. The max I have done yet is about 115 kmph and the engine did start to feel strained. AC is a must in Calcutta heat. I have asked the workshop to give me a quotation for installing an AC from them, have not heard from them yet.

Here are some pictures that I have taken so far. Will put up more as soon as possible.

P.S: I would like to thank Mr. Deepak Sinha from Mahindra without whose help it would not be possible to get the Bolero LX 4WD.
Attached Thumbnails
BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-1.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-2.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-3.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-4.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-5.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-6.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-7.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-8.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-9.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-10.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-11.jpg  

BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4-12.jpg  

Last edited by BlackPearl : 23rd August 2021 at 18:20.
BlackPearl is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 16:55   #2
BHPian

Re: BlackPearl goes white - Bolero LX 4x4

Congrats on your new purchase. It is a very nice decision. I also believe this is the best among you have shortlisted. When security is a concern, Bolero stands first. It has a very strong chassis too. Please do write more details about the specs and engine version of your vehicle (Di or CRDe or M2 engine).

Happy miles ahead. Please do keep us updated on your experiences in future on your Bolero.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 24th February 2012 at 16:59.
yogeshnaik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 17:06   #3
BHPian

Congrats, Black Pearl. You have made a wise choice! Could you give a breakup of the final OTR price. It's great that the Bolero comes with PS. There's not a mention of it on the brochure. Have you planned any modifications?

Regards,
Varun Nair
powertrain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 17:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for getting a vehicle which number of us dream of owning including me.

Yours is a pre-facelift model, was this communicated to you? Was there an option of buying it this face lifted avatar.

Please also share the total cost of purchase.
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 17:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

congrats Schumi-tro wish you happy miles ahead? how many kilometers did you drive after taking delivery of this vehicle?

Please share more pics. tyre upgrade coming soon?

Don't be surprized if this thread is taken offline (to the assembly line section - you are required to start a new ownership thread through this section)

Last edited by planet_rocker : 24th February 2012 at 17:19.
planet_rocker is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 17:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Blackpearl! You are one lucky dude!

BTW isn't the vehicle BS-III with the old MDI3200TC engine? Also I don't see any hublock on the front axle. So is it a direct connect like the Gypsy?

Anyways wish you miles of happiness with your 4X4. And please keep updating us on happenings .
MileCruncher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 17:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
Congrats on your new purchase. It is a very nice decision. I also believe this is the best among you have shortlisted. When security is a concern, Bolero stands first. It has a very strong chassis too. Please do write more details about the specs and engine version of your vehicle (Di or CRDe or M2 engine).

Happy miles ahead. Please do keep us updated on your experiences in future on your Bolero.
Thanks yogeshnaik. It is a DI engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Congrats, Black Pearl. You have made a wise choice! Could you give a breakup of the final OTR price. It's great that the Bolero comes with PS. There's not a mention of it on the brochure. Have you planned any modifications?

Regards,
Varun Nair
Thanks Varun. The price at the time of booking was Rs. 6,00,330 ex showroom, but it was increased by Rs 4000 at the time of delivery. On road price with road tax, registration and insurance is Rs. 6,75,xxx. Modification will be the addition of an AC, no money for any other thing right now :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
Congrats for getting a vehicle which number of us dream of owning including me.

Yours is a pre-facelift model, was this communicated to you? Was there an option of buying it this face lifted avatar.

Please also share the total cost of purchase.
Thaks Bandhav. I was communicated that it would be a BSIII model but the salesperson had no idea about the facelift. Thankfully it turned out to be the pre-facelift model as I do not like the digital console of the new boleros. The cost of purchase is Rs. 6,75,xxx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
congrats Schumi-tro wish you happy miles ahead? how many kilometers did you drive after taking delivery of this vehicle?

Please share more pics. tyre upgrade coming soon?
Thanks planet. I have driven about 200 kilometers after getting the bolero. No tire upgrades as it has come with Maxxis Bravo tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats Blackpearl! You are one lucky dude!

BTW isn't the vehicle BS-III with the old MDI3200TC engine? Also I don't see any hublock on the front axle. So is it a direct connect like the Gypsy?

Anyways wish you miles of happiness with your 4X4. And please keep updating us on happenings .
Thanks MileCruncher. Yes, it is the old MDI3200TC engine and it does not have a hub-lock.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 24th February 2012 at 17:37.
BlackPearl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 17:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sumitro. Its a really nice buy. Just get the AC fitted soon.

Thanks for the ride today and looking forward for a long drive in it soon.

Sugata
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 18:22   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Congrats Sumitro. Its a really nice buy. Just get the AC fitted soon.

Thanks for the ride today and looking forward for a long drive in it soon.

Sugata
Thanks Sugata. Thanks to you and Ritik that I understood that the Bolero has PS . Long drive anytime...
Old 24th February 2012, 18:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Amazing Buy Smitro, i just wish that my Mrs. would have agreed for a Bolero. but any ways i would have loved a VLX with a 4x4 option.
desideep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 18:44   #11
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. Wishing you many thousand kms of happy driving. Quick question, Is the Odo reading of 1940 odd kms, at the time of taking delivery?
satan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 18:45   #12
BANNED

I have always liked the looks of the Bolero, don't know why you differ. If only Mahindra polished the interiors and improved the ride comfort then this could be an ace.

When you say it was discontinued, do you mean it cannot be booked now? What other color options are available? The Red one next to yours is great too.
zaks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 19:07   #13
BHPian

Congratulations! You have made a very well-informed and smart choice.

Did you happen to ask the dealer for Wheel Covers? Or are you planning on investing in some trendy alloys after the AC upgrade?
Miel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 00:37   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Amazing Buy Smitro, i just wish that my Mrs. would have agreed for a Bolero. but any ways i would have loved a VLX with a 4x4 option.
Thanks Desideep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan View Post
Congrats on the purchase. Wishing you many thousand kms of happy driving. Quick question, Is the Odo reading of 1940 odd kms, at the time of taking delivery?
Thanks Satan. Yes, the odo reading was 1940 Kms at the time of delivery as the Boleros are driven down from the Nasik plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
I have always liked the looks of the Bolero, don't know why you differ. If only Mahindra polished the interiors and improved the ride comfort then this could be an ace.

When you say it was discontinued, do you mean it cannot be booked now? What other color options are available? The Red one next to yours is great too.
I have not said that I don't like the looks of the Bolero. In fact I love it except the walrus tooth on the grille.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
Congratulations! You have made a very well-informed and smart choice.

Did you happen to ask the dealer for Wheel Covers? Or are you planning on investing in some trendy alloys after the AC upgrade?
Thanks Miel. The wheel covers came with the car from the factory. I don't think I will go for alloys anytime soon, though I am not a fan of the wheel covers.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 01:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation BlackPearl on the new acquisition.Wish you many happy miles ahead.

I got one question, since your Bolero was driven down from Nasik, was the engine speed limited by any means. I have heard Ambassador can't be driven above 60Kmph speed till first service. Duke is also electronically limited to 7500 rpm till the first service.

I have seen these guys driving the pre registered cars like crazy here in Chennai. 1904 km is a lot, and I sincerely hope they have driven it sanely during the transit.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed