Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2012, 15:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Life with Scout, my Mahindra Scorpio mHawk SLE - 3 years & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
comfortablynumb (Floyd fan eh? . good - although not one of my fav albums) - liked your review and precise descriptions...after a looooong wait, finally we are ready to make the jump to a SUV, and a Scorpio SLE it most likely will be (hopefully soon). Thanks for your help in making the decision that much clearer.
Thanks Abhay. I'm glad that my ownership log helped at least 1 person decide in favour of the Scorpio

In other news, Scout took us on a 1300 km Pune-Karwar-Goa-Pune trip on the weekend before Diwali, accompanied by a friend's XUV. It was only me & the missus, along with luggage for 6 adults + 4 kids in my car, while the XUV was filled with the rest of the gang. Used AC almost all the time and got a respectable average FE of 14.07 kmpl for the entire trip.

Since the vehicle is being used mostly on weekends, the odo is at 39xxx kms only, and I'm hoping that the 40k kms milestone comes up before the year is out. If that means another weekend trip, then so be it!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 26th November 2012 at 15:29.
Old 26th November 2012, 22:23   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Used AC almost all the time and got a respectable average FE of 14.07 kmpl for the entire trip.
14.xx kmpl, now that is some rewarding FE Vikram.
What speeds did you maintain and what diesel did you fill? Any additives?
Old 27th November 2012, 09:22   #33
BHPian

Even I'm super impressed by the FE figures of my two weeks and 1800 kmts old VLX. It as returned 15.62 from Banagalore to Coimbatore higway drive AC on 100% !!! This was when ODO was 800-1300 !!!. First full tank gave me 11.03 AC on always and 40% city traffic in Bagalore.BTW mahindra has given a suspension upgrade to SCORPIO. Back suspension has been changed for better ride and handling. I think it is the same set up from the new XYLO.
BMW-X5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 09:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
14.xx kmpl, now that is some rewarding FE Vikram.
What speeds did you maintain and what diesel did you fill? Any additives?
Thanks Devdath. Speeds were mostly in the range of 80-100 kmph, except on ghat roads. Tyre pressure was 33 psi in all 4 tyres. Fuel used was normal BP diesel, without any additives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
BTW mahindra has given a suspension upgrade to SCORPIO. Back suspension has been changed for better ride and handling.
Have the ASCs received any circular from Mahindra to upgrade every Scorpio sold in a certain date / VIN range, or are they doing it only if the customer asks about it? Also, is it a paid upgrade or free of cost?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 27th November 2012, 09:53   #35
BHPian

I dont think they will upgrade older models. New vehicles comes with the improved set ups (Mine is October 2012 make). I will upload some pictures in when I write my ownership thread.
BMW-X5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 13:19   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Abhay. I'm glad that my ownership log helped at least 1 person decide in favour of the Scorpio

Alright, booked our SLE last evening from Silver Jubilee. I missed a trick by getting all accessories (inc alloys) for my Indica back in 05 from the dealer, not going to do it this time. Any tips for what/where I should get? (Sun film, seat covers, reverse sensor and remote and decent ICE are a must..wil perhaps wait for alloys) sorry to hijack your thread, perhaps we can meet sometime and swap scorp-notes.
Old 27th November 2012, 13:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Alright, booked our SLE last evening from Silver Jubilee. I missed a trick by getting all accessories (inc alloys) for my Indica back in 05 from the dealer, not going to do it this time. Any tips for what/where I should get? (Sun film, seat covers, reverse sensor and remote and decent ICE are a must..wil perhaps wait for alloys) sorry to hijack your thread, perhaps we can meet sometime and swap scorp-notes.
Congrats! Good choice with the SLE. If you can, try and push for free mats and scuff plates from the dealer. If he doesn't agree, you can get them outside too.

About the accessories, my take is given below:

1. Reverse sensor - Not really necessary. It will take only a few maneuvers for you to get comfy with judging the length and width of the vehicle while reversing.
2. Sun film - Can't say when the Pune traffic police will start their crack down on tinted windows [ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/120592-your-reaction-sun-film-verdict-edit-ban-effect-post-25th-july-judgement.html ]. Also, since the weather isn't very hot right now and likely to stay pleasant till Feb, you can fit them once summer starts. So, better to wait & watch, IMO.
3. Remote - Did you mean remote locking? If so, then that comes factory fitted with the vehicle.
4. Alloys - Cosmetic, doesn't really make a difference to the actual driving of the vehicle. So, no big deal even if don't fit them at all.

So, only the seat covers and ICE would do just fine after you take delivery and would help you to keep the vehicle as stock as possible. Also, get one of these for cleaning the Scorp - http://jopasu.com/index.php/product?...category_id=17 Saves a lot of effort while dusting it

I got my vehicle kitted out at Bafna Cars on Ghole Rd. He is slightly expensive, but does a good job. Car Ax at Baner on the Katraj - Dehu Rd bypass is also supposed to be good, as are Poona Motors and Modern Car Accessories.

Will keep a look out for your TD and initial ownership report. We can meet then and compare notes!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 27th November 2012 at 13:52.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:05   #38
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats! Good choice with the SLE.
mhawk in white looks great. I too own an Sle.Its in fiery black shade.
have you reached 40k mark?

Quote:
Alloys - Cosmetic, doesn't really make a difference to the actual driving of the vehicle. So, no big deal even if don't fit them at all.
After about one year or ownnership I too got my steel rims replaced with OEM alloys. Those alloys are as heavy as the steel ones
M35 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:23   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
mhawk in white looks great. I too own an Sle.Its in fiery black shade. have you reached 40k mark?
Thanks! I haven't reached the 40k mark yet; hope it'll happen before the month is over. Bracing myself for a hefty service bill as the 40k service is a major service

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 3rd January 2013, 13:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I haven't reached the 40k mark yet; hope it'll happen before the month is over. Bracing myself for a hefty service bill as the 40k service is a major service
Cheers,
Vikram
I got it done about 2 months back,and nothing special was done,just the usual oil changes and all,bill was around 4.5K.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 20:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Today was Scout's 3rd b'day - the past year has been relatively quiet as far as kms clocked has been concerned. Also got the 40k service done today. The following stuff was done:

1. Changed engine oil, brake/clutch fluid, coolant.
2. Changed air filter, oil filter, diesel filter.
3. General servicing - all electricals checked, under-body check [suspension bushes etc] with tightening of all nuts & bolts, condition of rubber hoses and belts checked, AC filter cleaning, tyre rotation, brake pad condition check.
4. Hub greasing for rear wheels.

I skipped the wheel alignment and water wash as I was in a hurry and it would taken an extra hour at least; will get them done outside the ASC.

Total cost for the above including labour was Rs.8900 odd.

Also clicked a few pics of the standard rate boards put up by the ASC:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3052324

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 27th February 2013 at 21:02.
Old 28th February 2013, 09:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today was Scout's 3rd b'day - the past year has been relatively quiet as far as kms clocked has been concerned.
Hi Vikram,
This surely is a coincidence. Feb 27 is also Admiral's commissioning date (you call it a birthday ? Scout would be offended!). Though junior by a year. YoC - 2011. And a further coincidence that the previous year has been rather quiet for Admiral as well. Not too many miles munched and just one major trip. Even the daily run distance has reduced. Will need to catch up this year.
Nice to read the report on Scout and learn that everything is tickety boo.
Does Scout have the micro-hybrid system ? If it does how is it holding out ?

Wishing you a fabulous year of driving ahead !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2013, 10:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Nice to read the report on Scout and learn that everything is tickety boo. Does Scout have the micro-hybrid system ? If it does how is it holding out? Wishing you a fabulous year of driving ahead !
Thanks HG! Nope, no micro-hybrid, auto-this, auto-that in Scout. That's only in the top VLX variant.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 13:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

re: Life with Scout, my Mahindra Scorpio mHawk SLE - 5 years & counting

Scout completes 4 years today. Due to an impending and eventual addition to the family, the past year has been very quiet, with the vehicle mostly used on weekends. No outstation trips, long or short. Hope to remedy that this year, fingers crossed!

Even though not many miles were racked up, I had the annual service done a few days ago. General checkup, oil change etc. M&M labour charges have gone through the roof - Rs.850/- for a paid service, that too of their quality is highway robbery. Now that the extended warranty is over, it's time to find a good FNG in Pune. Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 26th December 2014, 13:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

re: Life with Scout, my Mahindra Scorpio mHawk SLE - 5 years & counting

Got some good news and some bad.

Good news is that the vehicle is again being used regularly after a long time as a weekend warrior, due to the better half re-joining work.

Bad news is there was a traffic police drive against sun films near her workplace, that too on her 1st day after the break, and one of their victims was my Scorpio. Oh well, it had to happen someday....

In other news, odo has just crossed 44k kms in 4 years & 9 months, out of which almost 1.5 years accounted for barely 2k kms. I have also started using "Kixx D1 Platinum Plus" engine oil by GS Caltex since the last servicing, which was a month ago. It's been approx. 1000 kms since the oil change now - the engine clatter noise and vibration seem unchanged, but the vehicle seems to pull better than with the OEM Maximile oil.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 26th December 2014 at 13:37.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed