Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2012, 14:08   #16
BANNED

re: Life with Scout, my Mahindra Scorpio mHawk SLE - 3 years & counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Update on the 2 issues mentioned above :

1. Visited the ASC last Saturday. Since the rubber hose isn't available stand-alone, I had to replace the entire harness. Since I didn't want to take a chance of having exposed PW wires during the rainy season, I went ahead with it. The rubber hoses for the PW window wires for the other 3 doors have also started deteriorating, but still no holes in them at least.
That B@#%$(*&y rubber grommet is not available separately. What did the harness cost you?
Old 9th July 2012, 14:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That B@#%$(*&y rubber grommet is not available separately. What did the harness cost you?
Rs.500 odd. I thought it would be cheaper, but was sadly mistaken. If my vehicle wasn't under extended warranty, I would have definitely got this done from a FNG for lesser. I'm sure the rubber hoses for the PW window wires for the other 3 doors will also be in tatters in a few more months. However, now that I know the cost, I have no plans of spending Rs.500 on each door! The driver side window's replacement was important just in case the window got stuck due to water/dirt in the wires. Would have been really awkward to get out to pay all tolls during outstation trips!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 10th July 2012, 08:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Prologue: For those who came in late, Scout is my Diamond White Mahindra Scorpio mHawk SLE 7 Seater.
Excellent write up and good photos, Vikram!

Quote:
1. Reason for buying a Scorpio: No joint family, no farm house, no hauling of men/material/what have you. I just wanted it - blame it on a mid-life crisis or whatever.
+1. "I just wanted it - blame it on a mid-life crisis or whatever" exactly describes our (my wife was also smitten by the Scorpio bug) own spot decision to buy our Scorp.

Quote:
5. Impressions: A lot has been said about the driving dynamics of Scorpio [in it's various avatars] on the forum. Since I don't have any drastically different opinions, I won't dwell on this topic in too much detail. However, a few salient points are listed below:
Agree to every point you've listed!

Quote:
6.2. Service experience: As advised by the veterans in the forum, I stand beside the vehicle when the technicians are working on it.
Blighters always keep me out, except in the last visit with a new SA who took me in. How do you get into the workshop each time?

Quote:
6.3. Warranty replacements etc: Scout has had 3 warranty replacements till date - RHS front power window motor due to slow operation and intermittent conking off..
My front driver's side PW got stuck in my last drive to Dindigul when we came across small showers. It became a real problem when the window got stuck in closed position and I was in the NH toll booth and couldn't pay! My friend in the passenger side had to get down and pay at the booth. Started working by itself though.
Any advice for me, should I report this to ASC?

Quote:
9. Overall ownership experience: Not bad at all. I am very satisfied with the vehicle, and just satisfied with the A.S.S.
Questions/comments welcome!Cheers,
Vikram
Again, "me too" .

Happy and safe driving to you and family with Scout! Hope you'll make a trip to Bangalore soon.
Damu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 09:52   #19
Team-BHP Support

Hey Vikram, great report and details. I see that you got the car with steel rims and moved on to alloys 8 months later. Could you share the cost of the alloys alone?
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2012, 10:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Excellent write up and good photos, Vikram!

Happy and safe driving to you and family with Scout! Hope you'll make a trip to Bangalore soon.
Thanks Damu, and wish you the same! About the PW problem, I don't think you need to go to the ASC specially for that. Just mention it on the job card during your vehicle's next service, so that they can run a check on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Hey Vikram, great report and details. I see that you got the car with steel rims and moved on to alloys 8 months later. Could you share the cost of the alloys alone?
Hi Kiran, the dealer had quoted 30k for 5 OE alloys originally, but agreed for 25k after bargaining. Alignment and balancing was free at N Mehta Tyres near Swargate. After market alloys were cheaper [around 22k for 5 alloys], but I didn't find a design that I liked even after searching for several months. Hence, settled for these.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th July 2012 at 10:34.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 16:15   #21
BHPian

My White Stallion (Scorpio SLE white) went for his 4th Service and the SA just informed me that the bill is 11k. Since I am traveling, I have asked him to email me the soft copy of the bill to see why it is so high. I had asked them to check the brakes as well as Alignment as specific issues + an issue with the Central locking system. Only a few days ago, they had serviced it for a jammed Clutch pedal which was FOC. Need to wait and see what is costing me this much.
Old 11th July 2012, 22:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
My White Stallion (Scorpio SLE white) went for his 4th Service and the SA just informed me that the bill is 11k. Since I am traveling, I have asked him to email me the soft copy of the bill to see why it is so high. I had asked them to check the brakes as well as Alignment as specific issues + an issue with the Central locking system. Only a few days ago, they had serviced it for a jammed Clutch pedal which was FOC. Need to wait and see what is costing me this much.
For the 20k kms service, Rs.11k is too high. The only 2 expensive items in it are the engine oil + oil filter change and diesel filter element change . Rest all is just inspection and top up. IMO, the bill shouldn't touch double figures even if they have changed the brake pads and done alignment + balancing + tyre rotation to resolve the above issues. Make sure you get a justification for every item in the bill. If anything seems frivolous or is something you didn't ask for, send a rocket up their you-know-where and insist on a refund.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 11th July 2012 at 22:49.
Old 12th July 2012, 11:54   #23
BHPian

Vikram,

Thanks. Here is the bill. The big question - Is the 20k service a paid service? FYI, my vehicle is under extended warranty and is just 13 months old. I have gone ahead and paid the bill since I am not in town and family needs the vehicle. But I plan taking it up with them when I return to Chennai this weekend.

Some additional points:

1. The SA claims the Diesel was used for cleaning and their normal practice is to charge customers for that.
2. Motor care is an engine treatment to prevent damage to sensors(??)
3. Not sure what the IUT HPL Service is
4. Electrical Check - I asked them to check the alignment of my headlamps as well as the problem with my central locking.

Regards
Chandru

P.S: Items with VAT under the tax column are Spares charged at 14.5%, No Tax items are FOC under warranty and SVC Tax are Labor charged at 12% + Surcharges on Svc Tax of 2% + 1%
Attached Thumbnails
Life with Scout, my Mahindra Scorpio mHawk SLE - 12 years & counting-scorpbill20k.jpg  

Last edited by cnaganathan : 12th July 2012 at 12:02.
Old 12th July 2012, 16:00   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Vikram,

Thanks. Here is the bill. The big question - Is the 20k service a paid service? FYI, my vehicle is under extended warranty and is just 13 months old. I have gone ahead and paid the bill since I am not in town and family needs the vehicle. But I plan taking it up with them when I return to Chennai this weekend.
Here is the amount i was charged for my 20k service, which came to about 7k. I personally felt this too was on the higher side, till i saw how they looted you for the service.

Details : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2788395

I cant believe they charge the customer for the disposable seat cover, not to forget the various unwanted engine treatments they subjected your vehicle to.

I would suggest that you raise this with M&M customer care. One shunt from them, and you can see the dealer offerring to refund you on the excess amount.
Old 13th July 2012, 20:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I plan taking it up with them when I return to Chennai this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I cant believe they charge the customer for the disposable seat cover, not to forget the various unwanted engine treatments they subjected your vehicle to.

I would suggest that you raise this with M&M customer care. One shunt from them, and you can see the dealer offerring to refund you on the excess amount.
Yes, the 20k service is a paid service.

I totally agree with Benny. There are a lot of unwanted items in the bill. Please check the maintenance schedule chart on pages 3.2.2 & 3.2.3 of your vehicle's user manual. It will tell you what needs to be done in the 20k service. The ASC should have done only those items + resolved your specific complaints during the service. Anything extra is a rip-off. Please send an email to M&M customer care with your servicing details and demand a refund. Also mention in the email that you have an ownership review put up on TBHP and you will be posting this incident there [and really post it there too, so that others who frequent this ASC will be wary].

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 17th July 2012, 16:43   #26
BHPian

Benny, Vikarm,

Thanks for your suggestions - I will send a mail to M&M Customer care right away. And BTW, they have messed up the wheel alignment and Balancing so badly that am not able to drive the car beyon 95 km/h. It vibrates like crazy beyond that speed - I tried pushing it till 120 km/h and it was still the same. Didn't dare to go beyond that
Old 25th July 2012, 12:25   #27
BHPian

Hi Chandru,
Where do you leave it for Service? MPL or India Garage or Zulaikha?
let me know since I don't know the quality of service at any of these service centres!! Have some issues with my vehicle but do not have time to take it to the ASC.
I took the delivery from MPL!!!

Last edited by Jack Sparrow : 25th July 2012 at 12:28.
Old 25th July 2012, 18:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Benny, Vikarm,

Thanks for your suggestions - I will send a mail to M&M Customer care right away.
cnaganathan, any update on this escalation? Did you get a refund from the ASC?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 26th July 2012, 10:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
cnaganathan, any update on this escalation? Did you get a refund from the ASC?

Cheers,
Vikram
Not yet. Will be following up this weekend when I am back in Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
Hi Chandru,
Where do you leave it for Service? MPL or India Garage or Zulaikha?
let me know since I don't know the quality of service at any of these service centres!! Have some issues with my vehicle but do not have time to take it to the ASC.
I took the delivery from MPL!!!
India Garage - VST motors Service station in Guindy.
Old 22nd November 2012, 17:31   #30
BHPian

comfortablynumb (Floyd fan eh? . good - although not one of my fav albums) - liked your review and precise descriptions...after a looooong wait, finally we are ready to make the jump to a SUV, and a Scorpio SLE it most likely will be (hopefully soon). Thanks for your help in making the decision that much clearer.
Abhay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed