Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 14:00   #31
BHPian

re: Toyota Liva : The Red one comes!(30,000kms update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am actually a sedate driver. Thats why this FE surprises me. 16-17 in city is good, my office run is short, and has lot of traffic lights in between. However, on the highway I was expecting consistant 20+. Will do more checking. I record all fuel stops, so a clear picture will emerge over 5000kms or so
That's surprising considering that Toyota generally tunes its mills for drivability and FE rather than outright performance.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 13:26   #32

Thanks for the brilliant review. It has helped me finalise LIVA GD from Ravindu toyota. Just curious about the A.S.S part of ravindu. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old 29th May 2012, 23:12   #33
BHPian

A brilliant review tsk. What i liked most was the way you described your car.
How do you find the performance of AC in hot Delhi Climate?
Old 31st May 2012, 20:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

I got the opportunity to drive a colleague's Liva Diesel on Monday. This was on the Northern Access road near the Delhi international Airport. ( Whilst driving from T3 Terminal to T1). This road is wide and smooth . Just before the tunnel there are a couple of barricades to slow you down . The road also turns towards left even as it goes down into the tunnel.

The impressions:

1) Good interior space, both front and back.
2) Pathetic interiors. Found them to be much lower in quality than my Figo.
3) Engine is ok, if a bit noisy. It has just about ok initial torque ( I have been spoiled by the Figo which has terrific low end)
4) The car has ok ride and handling. I was doing about 60 KPH as I approached the tunnel and had to back off as the tyres seemed to be losing grip and there was some bit of body roll. The steering feedback is ok. I can do the same in a Figo at *) KPH without breaking a sweat.
5) Hated the way you have to lift the gear shift to engage reverse. The gearbox was not too slick either . This is something which may be due t the fact i was new to the car

Overall an ok car. It should last for along time and be will be trouble free.

However, the car lacks a soul. It is more an appliance and does not inspire any emotions in me. Moreover, a big let down in terms of feel good factor ( It is not the Toyata we love and respect).

Maruti Swift & Ford Figo are much better options IMHO.

Last edited by rajneeesh : 31st May 2012 at 20:47.
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 12:12   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkp View Post
A brilliant review tsk. What i liked most was the way you described your car.
How do you find the performance of AC in hot Delhi Climate?
Its crossing 45 degrees, and the AC is working as it should. No reason to complain!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
I got the opportunity to drive a colleague's Liva Diesel on Monday. This was on the Northern Access road near the Delhi international Airport. ( Whilst driving from T3 Terminal to T1). This road is wide and smooth . Just before the tunnel there are a couple of barricades to slow you down . The road also turns towards left even as it goes down into the tunnel.

The impressions:

1) Good interior space, both front and back.
2) Pathetic interiors. Found them to be much lower in quality than my Figo.
3) Engine is ok, if a bit noisy. It has just about ok initial torque ( I have been spoiled by the Figo which has terrific low end)
4) The car has ok ride and handling. I was doing about 60 KPH as I approached the tunnel and had to back off as the tyres seemed to be losing grip and there was some bit of body roll. The steering feedback is ok. I can do the same in a Figo at *) KPH without breaking a sweat.
5) Hated the way you have to lift the gear shift to engage reverse. The gearbox was not too slick either . This is something which may be due t the fact i was new to the car

Overall an ok car. It should last for along time and be will be trouble free.

However, the car lacks a soul. It is more an appliance and does not inspire any emotions in me. Moreover, a big let down in terms of feel good factor ( It is not the Toyata we love and respect).

Maruti Swift & Ford Figo are much better options IMHO.
I somehow food figo poor for highway. Car runs out of breath around 80kmph. As for low end torque, Its a slight difference, but once you get out of low end, Liva is great.
As for handling, I have slightly wider(10mm) tires now, and they do make a difference.
As for the car lacking soul, that was part of the requirement. Our other car has too much soul, with all the tantrums of spiritual kind
Old 2nd June 2012, 17:18   #36
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer,

I have never foung Figo to run out of breath as early as 80. It pulls pretty cleanly till 110-120 and then the progress slows down. Maybe it is a difference in driving style that makes the difference.

Yes I did see in your post that you have alloys with better boots for the Liva. When such small things can make such a difference, I fail to understand why do companies compromise to save a few rupees.
Old 9th July 2012, 12:32   #37
BHPian

Hi TSK,

I had a query about the Liva. A colleague has it and has been complaining about dirt accumulating between door gaps, meaning the area where the door shuts.
It's rainy season in Mumbai and the slush has been accumulating.

Though Delhi has lesser rains have you also observed this occurrence.

- Slick
Old 9th July 2012, 12:39   #38
Team-BHP Support

Of course. When you open the door you see lot of much and dust. But none of it comes inside the cabin.
I have also posted pics of the same.

That said, the car is around 4000kms old. Its running like same old boring little thing. I wish it keeps running like the same old boring little thing forever

I am falling in love with boredom.
However, my white elephant is compensating by making life extra interesting, however, thats the story for the other thread.
Old 18th August 2012, 11:37   #39
BHPian

A brilliant review tsk and I would like to thank you for helping me to decide on my new car, which is a Liva GD, expected to be delivered next week. I am a newbie to this forum, though had been following this forum for quite a long while now.
I wanted to go the way you did for the wheels, was planning to change to alloy wheels with 185/65 to increase the ground clearance. My dealer Topsel Toyota (they are the only one in Kolkata) are advising me against this and warning me that change of tyres would void the warranty of the car. :(
Well, now, how did you manage the change of wheels? Please enlighten.
Thanking you yet again, in advance for your advice.
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:45   #40
BHPian

You must be busy TSK. Just wanted to ask you, what is the set of alloys on your car?
Old 24th August 2012, 17:14   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
You must be busy TSK. Just wanted to ask you, what is the set of alloys on your car?
I totally forgot the brand.
That said, the car no longer wears these alloys. Due to negative offset, whenever 5 big people sat in the car, and I went over a bump at speed, the tires would touch the wheel well(there is no clearance). So I have gotten new ones, after a small monetary hit. The dealer graciously took back the old ones at a good price.
Now only when I make 4 very heavy people sit in the rear in each others laps, this thing happens, but I suspect, even on the stock car, with 400 kg in the rear, the wheels would touch on bumps

coming to warranty, I am gambling on the fact, that I would not need to claim suspension warranty before the time of warranty is up. And I do not think having slightly bigger tires(infact size offered on their higher variants) will void warranty for your engine and electrical.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th August 2012 at 17:17.
Old 24th August 2012, 17:32   #42
BHPian

Thanks TSK. So, I have to hope that I won't need to claim warranty on suspension and brakes if I change to alloys! I'll rethink about this.
if I do, your experience with 185/65 means that I should be going for 195/60 probably, right?
In any case delivery of my car got delayed because of one public holiday and two days of bank strike this week, resulting in RTO not functioning for three days this week. Must say Toyota people had been very courteous and had been constantly updating me on these issues.
I'll probably get delivery of my car early next week.
Old 24th August 2012, 23:40   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Thanks TSK. So, I have to hope that I won't need to claim warranty on suspension and brakes if I change to alloys! I'll rethink about this.
if I do, your experience with 185/65 means that I should be going for 195/60 probably, right?
In any case delivery of my car got delayed because of one public holiday and two days of bank strike this week, resulting in RTO not functioning for three days this week. Must say Toyota people had been very courteous and had been constantly updating me on these issues.
I'll probably get delivery of my car early next week.
Won't thicker tires have more change of touching the wheelwell? I suggest do not go wider that 185, and also make sure that the aftermarket alloys have minimal negative offset.
Old 14th November 2012, 19:37   #44
BHPian

Re: Acessory time

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The accessory list was set. 14" steel rims will go. 14" alloys will come in.
175/65R14 Bridgestones will go away, and be replaced by 185/65R14. So actually around 5mm gain in GC.
Need your input on this. The tyre calculation shows more than 2% error while moving from 175/65 R14 to 185/65 R14. Infact 185/60 R14 shows very less error. Can you please comment on the upsize.

Indeed the handling improves with the upsize, but has the ride become little harsh because of that?
Old 14th November 2012, 22:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: Acessory time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Need your input on this. The tyre calculation shows more than 2% error while moving from 175/65 R14 to 185/65 R14. Infact 185/60 R14 shows very less error. Can you please comment on the upsize.

Indeed the handling improves with the upsize, but has the ride become little harsh because of that?
Upsize would have impact on ride.

Upgrading the right size tires on the same rim size would not have impact on ride.

Go for 185/65-14 on stock rims.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks