Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2015, 15:04   #106
BHPian

Re: Toyota Liva : The Red one comes!(30,000kms update)

tsk1979 - a very honest way of putting up your views about the car. I was looking to replace my Ford Figo (Aug 2012 - 70000 Kms) with a Liva. I have a target of adding another 25000 Kms before changing. I got inspired to take a Liva after my recent visit to Toyota Plant in Bidadi. However, your review throws a very different perspective and I am rethinking about my decision now.

In my total ownership of Figo, I have not had any major issues other than the attitude at workshop which again is only once in 10000 kms. Now, I am confused if I should re-look at Figo again as a replacement or would you still recommend me to have a look at a Liva.

I intend to run my next vehicle for at least 2Lac Kms and that was where I was looking at Toyota.
Old 13th May 2015, 17:08   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchandra View Post
tsk1979 - a very honest way of putting up your views about the car. I was looking to replace my Ford Figo (Aug 2012 - 70000 Kms) with a Liva. I have a target of adding another 25000 Kms before changing. I got inspired to take a Liva after my recent visit to Toyota Plant in Bidadi. However, your review throws a very different perspective and I am rethinking about my decision now.

In my total ownership of Figo, I have not had any major issues other than the attitude at workshop which again is only once in 10000 kms. Now, I am confused if I should re-look at Figo again as a replacement or would you still recommend me to have a look at a Liva.

I intend to run my next vehicle for at least 2Lac Kms and that was where I was looking at Toyota.
The newer Liva is said to have better interiors.
That said, your decision depends upon what you want from the vehicle. After workshop headaches with my Tata vehicles, I wanted a vehicle that would just go to the workshop for servicing. And this is what is happening. My thread was updated at 30000kms, and it will be updated at 40,000kms.

There is no drama, no chik chik, no heartburn. Its just fill it shut it and forget it kind of vehicle.
Of course, I hate the (lack of) sound deadening, and silly things like requiring to open dashboard to change a silly fuse etc., but overall, its headache free experience.

I am told now base version in Toyota comes with Airbags, and this is a very good thing that they are not taking safety for granted.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 20:53   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The newer Liva is said to have better interiors.
That said, your decision depends upon what you want from the vehicle. After workshop headaches with my Tata vehicles, I wanted a vehicle that would just go to the workshop for servicing. And this is what is happening. My thread was updated at 30000kms, and it will be updated at 40,000kms.

There is no drama, no chik chik, no heartburn. Its just fill it shut it and forget it kind of vehicle.
Of course, I hate the (lack of) sound deadening, and silly things like requiring to open dashboard to change a silly fuse etc., but overall, its headache free experience.

I am told now base version in Toyota comes with Airbags, and this is a very good thing that they are not taking safety for granted.
That is great. My expectations matches your perfectly. I want a car which can be a fill it, shut it and forget It and seems like etios/liva can be good one. I am reading other reviews of Etios which has done about 60000kms and with no trace of wearing. Your inputs greatly helps.
joelchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2015, 21:28   #109
BHPian

Joel, since you are happy with the Figo why not wait till the new one is launched.

Figo also has a better AC I think, I don't know about the Liva but I owned an Etios Diesel till last month and the AC while OK, was not as effective as the Figo one.

But tsk is right about the fill it shut it forget it part, have only taken the car for 2 paid services, and both times the bill was less than 3000.
Old 17th May 2015, 19:29   #110
BHPian

Great ownership thread Tanveer - some portions had me in splits.

In your experience, how is the rear seat comfort been compared to other cars? Would it be reasonable to have Liva as a chauffered car (compared to Dzire\Sunny et al).
Old 18th May 2015, 10:56   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
Great ownership thread Tanveer - some portions had me in splits.

In your experience, how is the rear seat comfort been compared to other cars? Would it be reasonable to have Liva as a chauffered car (compared to Dzire\Sunny et al).
Yes, back seat comfort beats the Maruti cars any day. Its very roomy with enough legroom for a six footer. That said, Sunny has acres of room at the rear. Its the most suitable. But service support is dicey.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2015, 11:38   #112
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend that you wait for an year for the release of VIOS and RAV mini SUV from Toyota. That would be an upgrade as well. Figo to Liva would be almost similar experience ( but with better responsiveness, ergonomics, durability and comfort ). On the flip side, there's high probability that the engine will be manufactured in India. Till now, the 1.4 D-4D was imported from Japan. I'm not sure as to whether the same quality can be maintained here as well. Quality is a culture.

Once addicted to the quality and durability of a Toyota, it's difficult to switch brands. My parents need an automatic. But, they are ok with waiting for an year for another Toyota ( they own a Liva diesel ) that would satisfy their need.

I own an Etios diesel which has done 75,000 kms. The only unplanned replacements are a blown fuse and a couple of blown bulbs.
Old 24th May 2015, 01:42   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
Joel, since you are happy with the Figo why not wait till the new one is launched.

Figo also has a better AC I think, I don't know about the Liva but I owned an Etios Diesel till last month and the AC while OK, was not as effective as the Figo one.

But tsk is right about the fill it shut it forget it part, have only taken the car for 2 paid services, and both times the bill was less than 3000.
Hey Quadbike, I have another 12/18 months before I would scout for a replacement. I am quiet comfortable with the Figo but Toyota stands for a much more comfortable ownership experience. I will start my test drives after the launch of aspire and let's see.
Old 23rd March 2016, 11:38   #114
Team-BHP Support

After 4 years the first problem

So its time to update this thread. I know its been a long long time. Well there was nothing to update.
But then she completed 4 years and 45000kms, and the AC stopped cooling.
Cause : Gas leak as Evaporator in the dashboard is rusted.

This is the first non wear and tear problem the car has faced. To be frank I am surprised that the gas leak happened within 4 years. Upon inspection there is a lot of corrosion in the joint areas due to water accumulation. Due to debris some drain pipes were partially blocked. Too much construction dust?

Well whatever, I am not too happy. I expected her to run 100,000kms without a single problem. But guess what, the first one came at half of that.

Other than that nothing to update. One damper leaked a few months ago(probably the impact which took out rim and tyre), and was replaced under goodwill warranty. Running on original brake pads, clutch is also soft inspite of stop and go traffic and jams. I got the tires changed to Goodyear Assurance+ thingy at around 40K for front 2. Rear two are still apollo will change a month or so from now.

Total cost of repair was around 6000rs INR.
Gas filling, Evaporator and labor. A little on the higher side, but then service centers are not known to be very frugal.

I also asked them for future potential expenses. They say dampers and bush work around 65-70K and brake pads around 50K or so.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 15:44   #115
Team-BHP Support

Time for another update. 50,000kms service done.
Got it done from Ludhiana. Oil filter could not be removed as it had jammed. Came back to noida and got it changed. Did not get labor charge again, only oil filter cost.

I also got to know, that this can result in assembly cracking, which means additional 1900rs cost. But thankfully no circus.

Apart from that, I got two tires changed. Two were changed around little before 45000. Now its 50,000, and 4 tires, 2 new, 2 almost new.

The car still runs the same way. Its noisy, its unrefined. But it runs.
There is actually nothing much to update. Hopefully, its going to stay this way.

Mileage is also around 16+ for city, and around 19-20 for highway runs. This is with AC on.

Future things I anticipate
1. Suspension : Bad roads means that I would need to get bushes and shock absorbers looked at around 55-60.
2. Brake pads : Never ever changed. This is worrying. Are they supposed to last this long? Service center says no problem. Still 5000+ life left. This is with a few hill trips to boot.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 16:34   #116
BHPian

Quote:
2. Brake pads : Never ever changed. This is worrying. Are they supposed to last this long? Service center says no problem. Still 5000+ life left. This is with a few hill trips to boot.
Mine at 71000kms still running with stock brake pads.
Old 21st September 2016, 23:18   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car still runs the same way. Its noisy, its unrefined. But it runs.
I have been driving the Liva GD for the past couple or more days in town and the ghats. It's my relative's vehicle which has done 12k kms. I am absolutely in love with this car as the suspension craddles me through most craters. And the engine noise is refined. And once you are in the turbo zone, it cruises effortlessly. Just not feeling like giving back the car or even stepping off the driver seat. I have a Micra and had a Vento both diesels and have test driven some more diesels including Amaze Swift Punto and Figo. I am thinking that only the i20 can beat the Liva in terms of engine noise and refinement but maybe I'm wrong.

I hate my Micra for NVH, comfort and maintenance and am contemplating in replacing it with either the Liva or Swift or Figo and am in love with the Liva and a bit of Figo. Can you compare the Liva with the new Figo and Swift? i20 is a bigger car for me and the Polo pricier.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 22:57   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I have been driving the Liva GD for the past couple or more days in town and the ghats. It's my relative's vehicle which has done 12k kms. I am absolutely in love with this car as the suspension craddles me through most craters. And the engine noise is refined. And once you are in the turbo zone, it cruises effortlessly. Just not feeling like giving back the car or even stepping off the driver seat. I have a Micra and had a Vento both diesels and have test driven some more diesels including Amaze Swift Punto and Figo. I am thinking that only the i20 can beat the Liva in terms of engine noise and refinement but maybe I'm wrong.

I hate my Micra for NVH, comfort and maintenance and am contemplating in replacing it with either the Liva or Swift or Figo and am in love with the Liva and a bit of Figo. Can you compare the Liva with the new Figo and Swift? i20 is a bigger car for me and the Polo pricier.
Liva nd Figo both are great cars. In 2012, I bought a Liva while my friend bought a Figo. I can say after four years, Liva doesn't show it's age while Figo does. Both of us are diesel, both have done around 60K on the ODO.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:26   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been driving the Liva GD for the past couple or more days in town and the ghats.
Few more things I felt and would want to confirm.

I felt that the non-turbo zone is poor in torque and if we are lower down the RPM, sudden in-the-same-gear overtaking was dangerous; this is not the case with the Micra, you get power almost anywhere. But the good thing is that there are no jerky acceleration or deceleration when you put or take your foot from the pedal, which makes the car feel more comfortable.

And to top it, the acceleration continues (comparatively to other cars) even if we take the foot off the pedal. Does this mean low engine braking? Whatever, I could feel more momentum being carried into the corners than expected and also on speedy inclines, and I had to brake more at the last moment. Crudely put, felt like a good self cruising ability.

But on stop and go situation on steep inclines, I had to burn the wheel and clutch a bit. Once I had to backup and retake the incline!
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:45   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I felt that the non-turbo zone is poor in torque and if we are lower down the RPM, sudden in-the-same-gear overtaking was dangerous; this is not the case with the Micra, you get power almost anywhere.
Micra's 1.5 has a better drivability and low end torque than the Toyota D-4D as you rightly pointed out. A person used to the Renault will find the low end torque unsatisfactory in most diesels because the Renault diesel just picks up from any low rpms. Moreover, the Liva has a taller gear ratio. When you are cruising on 100 kmph, the rpm needle will be somewhere around 2000 - 2100 rpms. It's that tall. The advantage is smooth cruising on the highways. But, you will have to drive in a lower gear especially in the ghats. It's just about getting used to the gear ratios.

Quote:
But the good thing is that there are no jerky acceleration or deceleration when you put or take your foot from the pedal, which makes the car feel more comfortable.
Yes, it's butter smooth and linear acceleration. Never do you feel any sort of jerkiness. even when you accelerate or when you take the foot off the pedal.

Quote:
And to top it, the acceleration continues (comparatively to other cars) even if we take the foot off the pedal. Does this mean low engine braking? Whatever, I could feel more momentum being carried into the corners than expected and also on speedy inclines, and I had to brake more at the last moment. Crudely put, felt like a good self cruising ability.
Yes, engine braking is lesser than some other diesels that we see normally. Again, it's all about getting used to different engines because any petrol engines that you take will be having a lower engine brake than any of the diesel engines.

Quote:
But on stop and go situation on steep inclines, I had to burn the wheel and clutch a bit. Once I had to backup and retake the incline!
Inspite of a lot of winding drives through the western ghats, I'm yet to experience this. And my clutch is still healthy at 1,10,000 kms. So, not sure why this happened. And I don't use half clutch at all and instead always try to be on the right gears. Even for stop go traffic, I engage clutch shortly and then disengages it instead of the crawling at half clutch.

Maybe, the kind of steepness that you are talking about, I haven't tried a stop-start yet.
Or maybe, the clutch of the Liva you are trying on is already abused a lot.

Last edited by amalji : 23rd September 2016 at 11:54.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks