Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2012, 19:29   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

^
Purchased 500ml Castrol Magnatec Edge Titanium Fully Synthetic 5W/40 oil from local Castrol Dealer in Faridabad for 400/- (he offered me 4L pack for 3100/-; The ASC charges about 4.5K for the same). Topped about 400ml to Full mark. Did not need to go to the ASC for such a small job.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 11:38   #212
Senior - BHPian

Ordered these LED DRL's

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-sku_48999_1_small.jpg

1156 LED 310-Lumen 6500K Brake/Backup White Light Bulbs (Pair/DC 12V 3.5W 68-SMD) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme for Rs.586.70p. as per recommendation from lamboguy who used this for his Jetta -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-489998d8480b2a52b4d44ba9cb089ca28192d.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 26th July 2012 at 11:41.
Old 26th July 2012, 13:18   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
Ordered these LED DRL's

1156 LED 310-Lumen 6500K Brake/Backup White Light Bulbs (Pair/DC 12V 3.5W 68-SMD) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme for Rs.586.70p. as per recommendation from lamboguy who used this for his Jetta -
That works out pretty cheap,cheaper than the Philips drls.
I wish to install drls on my swift, but the running is pretty low, don't want to load the battery.
Old 26th July 2012, 18:50   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I wish to install drls on my swift, but the running is pretty low, don't want to load the battery.
LED DRL's put next to negligible load on the battery, much less (upto 10 times) than the conventional/halogen bulbs.
Old 26th July 2012, 18:59   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Ordered these LED DRL's

Attachment 961907

Attachment 961905
Wow! Exactly the bulbs i was looking for. What size is it? I guess Superb/Laura use P21w.
Old 26th July 2012, 19:05   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
What size is it? I guess Superb/Laura use P21w.
Yes, 1156 corresponds to P21W which are an exact fit to replace the OE Osram bulbs shown here -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-drl-bulb-p21w.jpg

These should be the same in the Laura too. Let me get them and post a feedback whether they are actually CANBUS compliant and do not give a error on Skoda MFD (which they don't in lamboguy's Jetta). They are at quite a bargain price for a pair from the other listings I have seen with free shipping to India too.

Last edited by dkaile : 26th July 2012 at 19:09.
Old 26th July 2012, 19:14   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, 1156 corresponds to P21W which are an exact fit to replace the OE Osram bulbs shown here -

These should be the same in the Laura too. Let me get them and post a feedback whether they are actually CANBUS compliant and do not give a error on Skoda MFD (which they don't in lamboguy's Jetta). They are at quite a bargain price for a pair from the other listings I have seen with free shipping to India too.
Yes, it's the same in Laura. Will wait for your review before ordering my pair. Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 20:14   #218
Senior - BHPian

5000 KM Report

Crossed 5000 KM mark today evening. Raining since morning and went out for a brilliant drive in the evening. The auto rain sensing wipers doing the job perfectly as are the auto headlights.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-5000km-20082012.jpg

Issues to report - NONE

The low tyre pressure light (TPM) flashed yesterday and I checked the pressure today and it had in fact fallen more than 5 psi in all 4 tyres with one even nearing 26psi (1.8 bar). Reset front tyre pressure to 2.3 bar (33 psi) and rear to 2.4 bar (35 psi) with my inhouse LIMI tyre inflator. I have found this to be the ideal pressure for my car, load and driving style. This also confirmed that TPM does actually work. I make sure to check under the bonnet every fortnight and clean all nicks and corners for dead leaves and debris that gets accumulated and also to check all oil/fluid levels.

Apprehension - The car needs to go in for the 7.5k kms checkup within a month's time and I am just fearing that the ASC don't mess up a perfectly running car. I feel that the company recommended 1st oil change period at 15k kms is too long in hot and humid Indian conditions. I am therefore contemplating getting 1st oil/filter change done at that 7.5k mark for the first 2 oil changes predicating to supposed better engine life and after that to stick with the 15k oil change interval. Advice is solicited from fellow members on this. Will it lead to any additional benefit for the car's engine life or will I just end up wasting money for a perception?

City Mileage - Has fallen to around 8kmpl due to very short driving runs
Best Average Highway Mileage in the last 1000km was around 11.5kmpl

Oil Top-up - One 500ml was topped up

Summing it up - The car is such a pleasure to drive up till now that every time I take it out it brings a smile to my face. It can in fact be termed 'addictive'. The 6 speed manual gearbox is one of the gems as is the high torque 1.8 TSI engine. With so many DSG issues being reported (the latest being with Hayek's 7 speed DSG) that I count my blessing for having chosen the manual. It is one of the smoothest gearboxes in the market. The car handles like a dream and the size really doesn't seem any bigger than my Corolla to me even though it has acres of space inside. The small turning angle is such a boon that I can easily maneuver the car along the narrowest of turns in Meerut. I especially love the sound of the horn, it sounds quite regal and makes people give way immediately.

Is this the best car of my life? Till now it sure looks like one. Hope I don't jinx it like Hayek.

Last edited by dkaile : 20th August 2012 at 20:28.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 20:59   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
5000 KM Report

Is this the best car of my life? Till now it sure looks like one. Hope I don't jinx it like Hayek.
Don't worry, stay positive - jinxes don't exist, except in our mind. Wish you continued happy motoring. Keep updating the thread for any mods and other developments.

The FE of 11 kmpl must have been with spirited driving, I got 11 kmpl on a run that included Bombay Pune + two days of my usual office commute, with fairly high speeds on the expressway. Did a brief 100 kmpl constant speed run for about 3 minutes on the expressway and got an MID indicated 4.5 l /100 km on that stretch (almost constant on the instantaneous fuel consumption read out).

Last edited by Hayek : 20th August 2012 at 21:04.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 21:40   #220
BANNED

Quote:
I feel that the company recommended 1st oil change period at 15k kms is too long in hot and humid Indian conditions.
Not true

Quote:
I am therefore contemplating getting 1st oil/filter change done at that 7.5k mark for the first 2 oil changes
Not required

Quote:
Will it lead to any additional benefit for the car's engine life
No

Quote:
or will I just end up wasting money for a perception?
Yes
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 09:15   #221
Senior - BHPian

I just discovered that the Auto AC can in fact be a one button press operation unlike the three button I was using till now. I used to first press the Auto button and then the Recirculate button twice to use it properly in Auto mode. BUT in fact all this can be done just by the OFF button which is fact a ON/OFF toggle switch for the AC. And it remembers the last setting of the mode in which the AC was switched off. So just the press the OFF button to toggle AC on/off and voila no more multi button operation for the AC. But it would have been better if Skoda had marked that button as ON/OFF rather than just OFF .

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...atronic-ac.jpg

Still to receive the LED DRL bulbs from dealextreme. Have raised a complaint with them.

Last edited by dkaile : 6th September 2012 at 09:23.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:34   #222
Senior - BHPian

Dkaile, awaiting the report of those DRL's.
If they do not give an error, which Im hoping they dont, Im ordering a set for the Laura too.
Works out pretty cheap, and they look so lovely!
Old 6th September 2012, 20:08   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Dkaile, awaiting the report of those DRL's.
Will update as soon as I receive them but I am fearing the worst that they seem to have been lost by our great Indian Postal Service.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 20:49   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Will update as soon as I receive them but I am fearing the worst that they seem to have been lost by our great Indian Postal Service.
One thing I discovered the hard way recently with some parts for my BMW, its always worth paying a bit extra and ordering via DHL or UPS. Saves you customs hassles, and also you know Indian Speed Post won't lose it.
Old 7th September 2012, 09:02   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It will arrive, it takes about three weeks from China. I got mine 10 days ago. Have not fitted them since VW have my car
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks