Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 09:52   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Can this Gear Shift Indicator be turned ON/OFF via some MFD menu?
Or does it need VAGCOM?
Nope it can't be turned off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
BTW, does it take into account inclines? Say when you are driving downhill and you need to be in a lower gear to use engine braking, does it shut up?
No it won't 'shut up'. Its not that smart

Its not so much of a bother really that one would want to turn it off. It just shows an arrow mark next to the gear display giving a suggestion. I've found it useful at times when I am cruising on the highway in 5th thinking that I am in 6th. When I see that upwards pointing arrow I remember to upshift. Also in lower gears when we're crawling, I generally downshift whenever the indicator suggests to downshift. Given the option, I would prefer to have it.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 28th November 2012 at 10:08.
Old 5th December 2012, 17:04   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Ordered these LED DRL's

1156 LED 310-Lumen 6500K Brake/Backup White Light Bulbs (Pair/DC 12V 3.5W 68-SMD) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme for Rs.586.70p. as per recommendation from lamboguy who used this for his Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Yes, it's the same in Laura. Will wait for your review before ordering my pair. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Dkaile, awaiting the report of those DRL's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It will arrive, it takes about three weeks from China. I got mine 10 days ago. Have not fitted them since VW have my car
Bad Report about the aforesaid LED DRL's. Out of nowhere, I received them today, even though I had even got a refund due to non-receipt from Paypal -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-img_2880.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-img_2881.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-img_2886.jpg

But the moment I fitted them I got error on the MID and the bulb did NOT switch on. I tried changing polarity too by inserting them the other way around, but they still did not switch on. Maybe the car is not letting them switch on. So reverted back to the good old Osram's and so the car is back on stock DRL's -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-img_2879.jpg

Disappointing exercise.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 17:14   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Bad Report about the aforesaid LED DRL's. Out of nowhere, I received them today, even though I had even got a refund due to non-receipt from Paypal -

But the moment I fitted them I got error on the MID and the bulb did NOT switch on. I tried changing polarity too by inserting them the other way around, but they still did not switch on.

Disappointing exercise.
The Reason is that they require Ballasts like the ones in HID Lamps, but 1/8th their size. the Ballasts are the size of a Matchbox. Most of these after market LED-DRL's, Fogs, headlamps specially from China DO NOT conform to the Voltage rating of the car. Moreover they are not direct plug and play as claimed by the manufacturer/ seller as far as Skoda Cars are concerned, where the lighting system is handled by the Canbus ( you get a message on screen if a particular bulb is fused).

You can obtain DRL's which do not give an error and are actual Plug and Play from www.tuning-in.eu or www.superskoda.com. even here the sellers put a disclaimer that in case the bulbs dont work then a ballast is to be used.
Old 5th December 2012, 17:37   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
The Reason is that they require Ballasts like the ones in HID Lamps, but 1/8th their size.
I was aware of these facts but these were supposed to be CANBUS compliant as posted on this post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2852136 as also confirmed by 'lamboguy' who had ordered and used the same ones. But, as it turned out, they were NOT Canbus compliant in the end. But no loss eventually as I had already got a refund.

But was disappointed in the whole exercise by the fact that getting these from abroad will always create a doubt whether these will actually work or not even after the seller claims that they will. We need these to be available ASAP in Indian market as demand exists for them.
Old 5th December 2012, 18:38   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But was disappointed in the whole exercise by the fact that getting these from abroad will always create a doubt whether these will actually work or not even after the seller claims that they will. We need these to be available ASAP in Indian market as demand exists for them.
I was actually waiting for your report before getting these.

I don't know how long the stock DRLs will last. A couple of months ago my Laura threw up a bulb error on the MID. It was traced to one of the DRLs. While the bulb filament looked OK, service advisor at Skoda said that the bulb's contacts had melted due to constant usage. I have put the spare bulb for now. Last week the same error showed up again briefly while driving but has vanished since. It it goes off again, I am switching off the DRLs.
Old 5th December 2012, 21:22   #336
BHPian

Quote:
I was aware of these facts but these were supposed to be CANBUS compliant as posted on this post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2852136 as also confirmed by 'lamboguy' who had ordered and used the same ones. But, as it turned out, they were NOT Canbus compliant in the end. But no loss eventually as I had already got a refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I was actually waiting for your report before getting these.

I don't know how long the stock DRLs will last. A couple of months ago my Laura threw up a bulb error on the MID. It was traced to one of the DRLs. While the bulb filament looked OK, service advisor at Skoda said that the bulb's contacts had melted due to constant usage. I have put the spare bulb for now. Last week the same error showed up again briefly while driving but has vanished since. It it goes off again, I am switching off the DRLs.

The Genuine working without error DRL LED's cost about 99 Euro! these are cheap rip offs that will work only on Non-Canbus Cars. Canbus Cars communicate with the bulbs vis-à-vis the Voltage Supplied etc.
Old 8th December 2012, 19:27   #337
BHPian

Hey Dkaile,

I have been following your thread from day 1 and you inspired me to go for my "Simply Superb". The fact that there were 2011 made vehicles and a flat discount was being offered really made by decision so easy!! I got the White colour since the company did not have the MT in any other colour. Otherwise my first choice was the Rosso Brunello. I managed a discount of 1.7 L but lost out on after budget prices. We bought the car on 26th April 2012 and i too went in for extended warranty and 0 dep insurance.

The car is truly great and it feels like we are in the lap of Luxury!! It's the perfect combination of luxury and a driver's car(if i can call it that). The only problem i have with the car is the stiff ride. It really filters the uneven roads in the cabin and one can feel every pothole .

Sad to see the led drl din work..i was waiting for your report on that for a long time before going for it myself.

My car is at 3000 kms and has done its 1st free checkup.

Thanks and keep at it
sambhav.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 23:29   #338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambhav.jain View Post
The only problem i have with the car is the stiff ride. It really filters the uneven roads in the cabin and one can feel every pothole .
Try filling in 30psi in all the tyres. It should make the ride much better. If doing a highway run remember to raise the psi a bit. The recommended pressure makes the ride too stiff for Indian roads.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 23:55   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambhav.jain
The only problem i have with the car is the stiff ride. It really filters the uneven roads in the cabin and one can feel every pothole .
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Try filling in 30psi in all the tyres. It should make the ride much better. If doing a highway run remember to raise the psi a bit. The recommended pressure makes the ride too stiff for Indian roads.
I would not advise that, especially if you have the NCT5s. I used 30 psi initially but had a few punctures. Frequency of punctures has come down (barring a terrible experience on a trip to Poona) once I started keeping it at 33psi. Compromising ride a bit in the interest of safety is worthwhile in my view.
Old 9th December 2012, 00:04   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thanks!! If i think about it the 1st time i got the air pressure checked i got it down from 55psi to 30psi in all tyres and don remember the back seat occupants complaining about the ride. It's just that when i got the air filled last time i raised it to 32psi and i think that's from when the ride became stiff.
Old 9th December 2012, 00:12   #341
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I would not advise that, especially if you have the NCT5s. I used 30 psi initially but had a few punctures. Frequency of punctures has come down (barring a terrible experience on a trip to Poona) once I started keeping it at 33psi. Compromising ride a bit in the interest of safety is worthwhile in my view.
Thats a bit odd. I didn't think that lowering by such few psi could increase the chances of puncture that much. Yours could just be a coincidence, because I run 30 on my cars, and *touchwood* haven't had too many punctures.
Old 9th December 2012, 01:22   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!! If i think about it the 1st time i got the air pressure checked i got it down from 55psi to 30psi in all tyres and don remember the back seat occupants complaining about the ride. It's just that when i got the air filled last time i raised it to 32psi and i think that's from when the ride became stiff.
I keep about 30-32psi in all my cars, especially the Superb as any lower makes the tyres look pretty deflated. The superb has a stiff suspension, that's something you have to deal with unless you do some suspension mods.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 01:43   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I keep about 30-32psi in all my cars, especially the Superb as any lower makes the tyres look pretty deflated. The superb has a stiff suspension, that's something you have to deal with unless you do some suspension mods.
All Right then..Ill get the air pressure down to 30 psi in all tyres and see if that improves the ride quality. Ill keep you all posted on this issue.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:49   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All Right then..Ill get the air pressure down to 30 psi in all tyres and see if that improves the ride quality. Ill keep you all posted on this issue.
As Hayek rightly pointed out, I would not recommend that. Around 33 psi up front and 36 psi on the rear is the ideal tyre pressure as recommended by the company for half load. I would suggest you stick to that on the NCT5's.

Cheers and enjoy your Superb experience.

Last edited by dkaile : 9th December 2012 at 09:58.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 11:28   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As Hayek rightly pointed out, I would not recommend that. Around 33 psi up front and 36 psi on the rear is the ideal tyre pressure as recommended by the company for half load. I would suggest you stick to that on the NCT5's.
Sir many a time the pressure recommendation is not changed for Indian roads. I don't know how the roads are in your area, but I suggest you try it at 30 or 31 and report back about the comfort. But do try it, even if for a day or two.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks