Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2013, 14:22   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Does the warning come up even when it goes down a little like 0.5L scenario above?
I think the MID warning will come more like near the 1L less mark.
Old 1st June 2013, 15:32   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I am not sure. I usually wait for the warning. However, it is advisable to check it manually every few weeks.

The electronic oil meters are pretty accurate these days. I think in the future the manual dip stick will be phased out. My RS5 does not have a manual dipstick to check the oil level.
Still its electronic and anything electronic can fail. What's with car makers these days?? I hope they don't justify such decisions in the name of going 'green' . "We took out that stick weighing xxxx gms thereby reducing the weight of our cars and saved the world from xxxx tons of carbon monoxide"
Old 4th June 2013, 17:55   #423
Senior - BHPian

Came about an interesting article regarding the OE suppliers to the Skoda Superb especially the distinctive twin-door boot opening system which is supplied by the German supplier Edscha. The OE sound system is also from Blaupunkt. Overall this gives a keen insight into the fact that a well built vehicle is actually a sum of well sourced parts -

Quote:
One of the distinctive features on the second-generation Skoda Superb is its so-called Twindoor liftgate system. German supplier Edscha was contacted by Skoda three years ago to create the system, which lets a person open either the trunk lid or the entire liftgate. Alternating between those settings is made possible by two switches on the edge of the truck lid. The system was developed at Edscha’s Czech Republic plant, where the part is also produced.

Hella provides the Superb’s optional adaptive front light system, which can be altered to provide better visibility depending on driving conditions. At 90kph and above, a car’s light beam is raised to increase the stretch of illuminated road.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-suppliers.jpg

Source : http://www.autonews.com/assets/PDF/CA4979775.PDF
http://www.autonews.com/article/2008...#axzz2VFUIzQDZ

Last edited by dkaile : 4th June 2013 at 18:00.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 19:52   #424
Senior - BHPian

Summer Report -

- AC cooling absolutely fabulously in the sweltering UP heat touching 45°~46°C. And I keep the setting at 22°C on the Auto AC inside.
- Every time I shift from sitting in the Toyota Fortuner to the Superb, I find a remarkable difference in ride quality, luxury, features, silence and overall nirvana. This is a damn good car and going 10,000 kms strong with zero issues. BTW, I have started loving this car more than the Falcon. Don't tell my friends over at T-FOG, they will kill me... lolz.
- The car ate some oil as I mentioned earlier and that is the only 'expected' glitch in the overall brilliant 1.8TSI gem of a engine.

From Shapur Kotwal's - Diary of a petrolhead -
Quote:
European's, not the Japanese, make the best petrols today. We have already seen how effective they are; Skoda's 1.8 TSI in the Superb administered a thrashing to Honda's traditional 2.4 in the Accord and we've witnessed similar results in other cases as well.
Some evening shots from today -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-04062013_3.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-04062013_4.jpg

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 4th June 2013 at 19:57.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 21:51   #425
BHPian

Hello Dkaile, have you installed the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 system in your supreb. Does it has any options to fit screens for rear passengers by Blaupunkt. I had been looking for such a system for a long time, and your thread came as a big boost. Thanks in advance.
Old 5th June 2013, 08:53   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
Hello Dkaile, have you installed the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 system in your supreb. Does it has any options to fit screens for rear passengers by Blaupunkt. I had been looking for such a system for a long time, and your thread came as a big boost. Thanks in advance.
No, not yet. But the Philadelphia does have the following features that you need, as stated in its brochure -

• Front and rear A/V input
• Rear Seat Entertainment
• 2 x Video output (CVBS) / 1 x Audio output
• Rear view camera input

So fitting screens for rear passengers will not be an issue.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 18:49   #427
Senior - BHPian

Oil Leakage Alert

13-06-2013; 11,350kms

So my brother had taken the Superb to Yamunanagar from Meerut. Now en-route he encountered one of the worst stretch of roads ever seen on Indian roads. 5~6 km stretch between Deoband and Saharanpur (SH 59) and and even worse 10~15 km stretch between Saharanpur and Yamunanagar (Jagadhari) (NH 73). So my dear friends kindly AVOID these routes at all costs. On reaching Jagadhari, he noticed next day that few drops of oil was leaking. He was pretty sure he did not hit the vehicle anywhere on the underbelly, but I feared the worst. Could a stone have pierced the oil sump?? That's a 20k expense! Any Engine damage will run in lacs! The engine protection plates looked intact to him on inspection. He watched till today morning and the leakage was not very severe, just 20 or so drops in a 8 hour period. I asked him to check the oil level and top up, which he did with about 200ml of oil left in the 1L OE can I always keep in the car. He also bought a 1L pack locally of the Castrol Edge Professional oil from a VW dealership locally in Jagadhari (Rs. 970/-) for emergency. There was however no Skoda dealership there. I told him to say 'Jai Bajrang Bali' and start his journey back to Meerut.

This time he took the Jagadhari-Karnal-Murthal-Baghpat-Meerut route via the GT Road. There was a Skoda dealership at Karnal, outside which I told him to check the oil levels. The levels were just fine, so breathed a sigh of relief. Finally he reached Meerut at 2pm without incidence. Immediately called up my service advisor at C&T Skoda, Meerut and briefed him about the situation. Appointment for 4 pm was fixed. Fingers crossed.

The car was raised and the engine protection plate were intact but dripping with oil. So a stone impact was nearly ruled out as there was no visible sign of any damage to the plates at all. The engine protection plate was removed and the oil leakage was clearly from the Oil Drain Nut!! Then I remembered that the 'washer' of the oil drain nut was NOT changed at the previous service and I had brought it to the notice of the service advisor at that time, and he had brushed it aside as a small oversight which according to him was NOT necessary (even though Skoda Service Schedule clearly specifies it to be) as it was brass washer which could be changed on the next service, as now the engine oil would again have to be drained. So I had gone along with his explanation at that time.

Now on seeing this, I hieved a great sigh of relief that it was nothing major and also blew a fuse at the SA as it was clearly due to his oversight that this had happened. He apologised profusely, told me not to report this to Skoda (because they all knew my reputation to go straight to the top), and immediately replaced this with a fresh washer. Little oil was drained in a clean can and washer replaced. Oil was refilled and engine started and checked for leakages. NONE. The protection plate was washed and re-attached. A little screw on the rear protection plate was also tightened which had come loose. The rear parcel tray holders were greased as they were producing a little irritating squeak. Total job took less than half and hour. The SA was so terrified that he did not charge me anything and again requested not to raise the issue with Skoda HQ.

All in all very satisfied that nothing major happened. These 'rough road package' protection plates on the Superb really work! Like they say "Khoda Pahaad aur nikli CHUHIYA!!".

The culprit washer -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-oil-drain-nut-washer-13062013.jpg

All's well that ends well! And remember friends, "Ek chotta sa washer, aapki car ki kismat badal sakta hai!"

Last edited by dkaile : 13th June 2013 at 19:08.
dkaile is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 23:19   #428
Senior - BHPian

And I was about to take that road from Saharanpur to jagadhri, to meet my friend last to last week. Thanks god I didn't!!
Old 14th June 2013, 15:57   #429
BHPian

Good to know it was a minor job but all said and done even if such small problems are not attended in time these can lead to major issues... Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Oil Leakage Alert

Last edited by Vid6639 : 14th June 2013 at 16:20. Reason: Pls. don't quote a long post for a short reply.
Old 20th June 2013, 16:09   #430

Hi, I was wondering what type of fuel you use with your Superb, I just got one as well, the 1.8 TSI MT Elegance.

Thanks.
BadAxe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 16:25   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAxe View Post
Hi, I was wondering what type of fuel you use with your Superb, I just got one as well, the 1.8 TSI MT Elegance.
Congratulations BadAxe on a Superb purchase. I use NORMAL Petrol ONLY. No Speed or premium fuels for me, as the additives in those have been known to mess up/interfere with the injectors of these Germans. I am getting an average FE of around 9 in the city and 11 on the highway. Overall its usually 10kmpl to the tankful with mixed driving. But the moment I press the accelerator aggressively, which this car urges me to do occasionally, the fuel efficiency goes for a toss. These engines are very sensitive to your foot movement. But the surge.... is nirvana. Goes to 160~170 in the blink of an eye.

Drive safe.

Last edited by dkaile : 20th June 2013 at 16:29.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 16:32   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Dkaile,

Read your tryst with destiny! Nicely written and nice photographs. The car looks very nice.

BTW, I am tempted to ask that how would you rate the Skoda service. I am sure that you have never run in any major problem except the oil leakage (& I really wish you do not in future too) but what is your general perception on the attitude of the SASS.

Thanks for sharing and in anticipation of your reply.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 16:56   #433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
BTW, I am tempted to ask that how would you rate the Skoda service. I am sure that you have never run in any major problem except the oil leakage (& I really wish you do not in future too) but what is your general perception on the attitude of the SASS.
Skoda service is as good (or bad) as Toyota or Hyundai or Maruti service is for me here in Meerut. I find my ASC to be quite pro-active though I am blessed with less work load on their workshop and also to knowing the owners personally. So that helps when I want to stand on their heads for every job.

I have visited them for my 2 free services (one checkup) this year and only 2 or three times for some other minor issue. I always found them eager to solve my issues but I do feel that lack of skilled labour 'is' an issue when treating these complicated electrical laden Germans. The engine basically is the same that goes into an Audi or a VW. So, this type of labour IQ may work for a Maruti or a Hyundai but for a German vehicle, it seems inadequate.

------------------------------

Other Updates -

Tyre Update in Rainy conditions - I found the stock Goodyears to have excellent grip in heavy rainy conditions. The tyres hardly lost grip even on hard handling and at speeds. I find tyre noise adequate and grip excellent. The sidewalls are just hard 'enough' to provide me the peace of mind while going through potholes at high speeds without fearing that they will tear apart like the Michelins/Yokos, which although provide a more peaceful ride, but are always susceptible to our road conditions. I am completely satisfied with these Goodyears.

Silicon based Spray for squeaks - I was finding the rear parcel tray creating a minor but irritant squeak. Found the solution in this 'Treadmill Lubricating Spray' which is available easily with any sports shop. It is silicon based spray and absolutely safe to use on plastics and rubber parts and immediately removed the squeak from the joints connecting the rear parcel shelf. MRP written on it Rs. 350/- but I got it for free from a friend dealing in treadmills.

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-treadmill-silicon-lubricating-spray.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 20th June 2013 at 17:03.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 18:09   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Came about an interesting article regarding the OE suppliers to the Skoda Superb especially the distinctive twin-door boot opening system which is supplied by the German supplier Edscha
OK but do you really find it useful? I find it a little gimmicky

I personally think a regular trunk opening is just fine. The twin door adds a lot of weight and complexity.

Similar systems (ie.. door within door) have already appeared in SUVs for a while now.
Old 20th June 2013, 18:19   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
OK but do you really find it useful? I find it a little gimmicky
On the contrary, I find it to be extremely useful. I use the twin door boot opening 90% of the time for easy stowage of luggage. The remote only opens up the normal boot from a distance, which is also very useful when you travel towards your car with your hands full, say e.g. coming towards your car with both hands filled with your wife's shopping bags in a shopping mall parking... lolz.

Having used a conventional boot all my life on the Corollas and the Citys, I find this so called luxury feature a 'convenience' in fact. Also the soft closing (suction type closing) of the boot really works and all this may seem complex but it is working flawlessly for me since the last 1 year/11k kms.

This is a well built car, if I have seen one. Recently had the opportunity to rumble for a few days in a close relative's C Class. It was twice the price with half the features, convenience and size. I realised then what a 'superb' package this car actually is.

Last edited by dkaile : 20th June 2013 at 18:21.

Most Viewed