Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 11:32   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Received a call from the local dealer that the car is completing its 2nd year and needs a 3rd (2nd full) service. But I have only completed 6K kms since the last service at around 10k and today my car is approaching just 16K kms. It is running purrfect, touch wood, and I am in a dilemma whether to get it serviced or not, or at least to let it complete 20K mark before servicing it. With a perfectly running car it is a gamble to send it to Skoda ASC (unattended) because they can do more harm than good. Thinking what to do...
Old 8th March 2014, 14:35   #497
Senior - BHPian

Dont you have extended warranty on your Superb? If yes, then it would be better to do service within the stipulated timeline, just in case some issue comes up and they reject the claim citing you dint get service done on it. If you dont have it then there is absolutely no harm in delaying the service by a month or two.

Get it done around the 18k mark, with Skoda i would suggest going with the car for service and not opting for pick n drop, that is what i do with my VW
Old 8th March 2014, 15:01   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
... and I am in a dilemma whether to get it serviced or not, or at least to let it complete 20K mark before servicing it. With a perfectly running car it is a gamble to send it to Skoda ASC (unattended) because they can do more harm than good. Thinking what to do...
Understand your plight. Many posts on the forum have reported new (& unrelated) problems cropping just after a service. Last read about reverse or parking sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
not opting for pick n drop, that is what i do with my VW
+1. This looks like a safe alternative. Accompany your car to the ASC and get it done. Skipping or turning up late may give them a reason to deny any warranty that your car may be shielded with. Always play safe from your side when you are dealing with Skoda
Old 9th March 2014, 15:25   #499
BANNED

Quote:
Received a call from the local dealer that the car is completing its 2nd year and needs a 3rd (2nd full) service. But I have only completed 6K kms since the last service at around 10k and today my car is approaching just 16K kms. It is running purrfect, touch wood, and I am in a dilemma whether to get it serviced or not, or at least to let it complete 20K mark before servicing it. With a perfectly running car it is a gamble to send it to Skoda ASC (unattended) because they can do more harm than good. Thinking what to do...
The car needs to be serviced regardless of kms run or the existence of extended warranty as engine oil loses its lubricant properties after a year regardless of kms run. So it would be detrimental to the engine if you do not have the car serviced. If you do not have extended warranty, then all you need to do is change the engine oil, clean the air filter and pollen filter and you are good for another year or 15,000 kms. However, ensure you are by the car when it is being serviced.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 15:41   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
If you do not have extended warranty, then all you need to do is change the engine oil, clean the air filter and pollen filter and you are good for another year or 15,000 kms. However, ensure you are by the car when it is being serviced.
That's a good idea but I have extended warranty. I hope they allow me to change just the engine oil and filter and cleanup of the air and pollen filter. It also says to change spark plugs at 30K kms service which also should be avoided. That is the rational thing to do, isn't it. I always stay with my car while servicing and have also advised people for the same, irrespective whether its a Skoda or a Toyota. Let us see their response.
Old 9th March 2014, 15:49   #501
BANNED

Quote:
It also says to change spark plugs at 30K kms service which also should be avoided. That is the rational thing to do, isn't it.
Yes, the spark plugs do not need to be changed. Since you have extended warranty, you will have to do the 2nd year service which will have to be logged into Skoda's DMS by the ASC along with the payment for the service. This record will be checked if and when there is any warranty claim. However, regardless of the existence of extended warranty, you do not need to change the spark plugs.
Old 16th March 2014, 09:48   #502
BHPian

Hi all,

I would also like your views on similar issue. My car, Superb TSI, is due for 2nd year service. The car has done approximately 15,000 kms in these 2 years and needs to be serviced to ensure that extended warranty remains valid. There are no issues in the car except for niggles like rattling from rear parcel tray and slight increase in fuel consumption.

The Service engineer has recommended quite a few additional items and estimated that total bill will be Rs 20,000 approx. His estimate covers following:

1. Paid service covering engine oil, oil filter, Air filter, Ac filter, fuel filter, consumable, brake cleaner, concentrate window cleaner with total of Rs 9,265 for parts and Rs 1,600 for labour.

Additional items.

2. VAS Scanning. Rs 750 - is this separately charged in paid service
3. Brake cleaning. Rs 750. - will ask them to clarify separate charge when Blake cleaner is already included in paid service
4. AC Disinfection. Rs 1,000 - appears unnecessary.
5. Wax Polish. Rs 1,000 - will decline; better done from outside at 3m etc
6. Wheel Alignment and balancing Rs 1,500 - should I go for it, especially as I feel that fuel consumption has increased slightly
7. Door and Dicky setting Rs 750 - appears unnecessary and will decline
8. Cowl top cleaning Rs 1,500 - again appears unnecessary and will decline
9. Radiator and Condensesor cleaning Rs 750 - unnecessary and will decline
10. Service plus Rs 550. - not clarified by them - will decline.

Will appreciate your comments on above additional items.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-image1442175994.jpg  

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-image618141789.jpg  

Quatro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 12:31   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
I would also like your views on similar issue. My car, Superb TSI, is due for 2nd year service.
I have booked my 2nd year service for the 18th. I made an online appointment on the Skoda website and within few hours received a call from my local dealer. I follow this procedure to keep Skoda HQ in the loop in case of any hanky panky. I specifically mentioned that my car has done only 16k kms in these 2 years with last service done just 6k kms back and would like an only oil change service. Unlike what I was expecting, my service adviser, who I am in constant touch with over the last 2 years, fully agreed with my observations!! He agreed there was NO need to change the air and pollen filters, neither any need to replace the spark plugs. He suggested that oil and oil filter change was recommended with which I agreed. The total cost quoted by him was 7K including parts and labour. Will post detailed feedback after service.

PS - I have always had VAG scan done and never paid for them in the past, so it basically depends on your dealer's attitude.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 12:44   #504
Distinguished - BHPian

Way to go .
From my experience, if you clearly tell the skoda dealer that you care about your hard earned money, they care for your car.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 20:57   #505
vcx
BHPian

Lovely purchase , 1.8 TSI is an awesome piece of engineering from VW group and the splurge of space , premium feel that Skoda Superb offers is certainly comparable and some case betters the likes of other premium German cousins. Congrats and miles of smiles!
vcx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 22:38   #506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
Hi all,

2. VAS Scanning. Rs 750 - is this separately charged in paid service
3. Brake cleaning. Rs 750. - will ask them to clarify separate charge when Blake cleaner is already included in paid service
4. AC Disinfection. Rs 1,000 - appears unnecessary.
5. Wax Polish. Rs 1,000 - will decline; better done from outside at 3m etc
6. Wheel Alignment and balancing Rs 1,500 - should I go for it, especially as I feel that fuel consumption has increased slightly
7. Door and Dicky setting Rs 750 - appears unnecessary and will decline
8. Cowl top cleaning Rs 1,500 - again appears unnecessary and will decline
9. Radiator and Condensesor cleaning Rs 750 - unnecessary and will decline
10. Service plus Rs 550. - not clarified by them - will decline.
Apart from paid service and Brake cleaning, everything else in this list seems nonsense. I always get Wheel alignment done at a tyre shop and 1500 rupees for this is daylight robbery.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 20:51   #507
Senior - BHPian

2nd Paid Service (2nd Year/30,000km Service) - 18-03-2014 @16058 km

So with a zero error (touch wood) 2nd year coming to an end it was time for the 2nd service that I had mentioned in the previous posts. Reached C&T Motors, Meerut at 10.15am. As I had already discussed with my Service Advisor that the car had done low mileage since the last service, only oil and oil filter were to be replaced and rest all filters and spark plugs to be cleaned. He added to also clean the brakes to which I agreed (more on this controversy later).

16059 on the odo (post service)
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_1.jpg

Air and Pollen (cabin) filters were in excellent condition and thoroughly cleaned again
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_2.jpg

Castrol Magnatec Professional Fully Synthetic 5W40 was the oil of choice supposed to last 15k kms. 4.6L was used.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_3.jpg

Oil Filter was Made in Germany. This drain nut was supposedly bought to be replaced but turned out to be for the diesel engine model and was returned.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_4.jpg

Only this Washer was replaced, whose non-replacement had caused issue the last time around.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_5.jpg

All 4 disc brakes were thoroughly cleaned with compressed air
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_6.jpg

The front discs cleaned
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_7.jpg

The rear discs
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_8.jpg

All 4 tyres were rotated, front to back
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_9.jpg

The spark plugs were removed
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_10.jpg

And cleaned. Though they were in excellent condition and need replacement at the 30k kms mark. They were original VAG parts.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_11.jpg

Complete VAG scan was done, without paying any additional charge
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_12.jpg

No errors were found
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_13.jpg

The car went in for wash now. Was thoroughly vacuumed
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_14.jpg

And pressure washed
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_15.jpg

Looking as good as the day I bought it after the service
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_16.jpg

One piece of brilliant engineering and luxury. Giving the same or even enhanced pleasure than products costing more than twice or more of its price.
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_17.jpg

The Total bill was for Rs. 6659/-. Unlike the 19K!! figures (as mentioned in earlier posts) I see some dealerships fleecing from unsuspecting owners.

They tried fleecing me also an additional sum of 1K for brake cleaning and when I objected and pointed out that it was just an air cleaning job, they quietly relented. So it basically depends upon you, if you put your point across firmly, no one can befool you. I always stand on their heads on every service and they know that this is one knowledgeable customer. So no hanky panky with me. And when I see figures being quoted to members like Quatro (on previous posts) I feel surprised how we can allow this kind of daylight robbery by some dealerships to flourish. I request all Skoda owners to be more pro-active and then no one can rob you. I have a good and relatively very honest dealership here in Meerut but I know same is not the case else where.

Cheers...

Last edited by Eddy : 18th March 2014 at 23:31. Reason: As requested
dkaile is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 09:03   #508
Senior - BHPian

Here's the total bill for Rs. 6659/- in case anyone's interested in the details -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-skoda-superb-2nd-service-16058km-18032014_18.jpg
Old 19th March 2014, 09:39   #509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The spark plugs were removed
Attachment 1221270

And cleaned. Though they were in excellent condition and need replacement at the 30k kms mark. They were original VAG parts.
Attachment 1221271
How were the spark plugs cleaned? Are the spark plugs adjustable? If they were cleaned near the tip then was the adjusting done? Usually new generation cars do not recommend spark plug cleaning as the required gap may get disturbed causing ignition issues. It is always safer to replace the plugs with new gen engines.
Old 19th March 2014, 09:47   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How were the spark plugs cleaned? Are the spark plugs adjustable? If they were cleaned near the tip then was the adjusting done? Usually new generation cars do not recommend spark plug cleaning as the required gap may get disturbed causing ignition issues. It is always safer to replace the plugs with new gen engines.
What you say is true to an extent. They recommend just a spark plug replacement at 30K interval. Since it was a supposed 30K service at just 16K mileage, they cleaned the spark plugs very carefully with fine emery paper without disturbing the gap in my presence. And I followed it up with a rescan to show that no errors of any sort had cropped up due to the cleaning process. It will be another year or two going by my driving style before they will be replaced so they thought a fast cleanup will do more good than any harm. Taking your own call in such situations is better than following manufacturer recommendations blindly has always been my adage.

PS - And I hate the wastage regime followed by the Europeans, no baby parts available whatsoever. Throw out the complete engine even if replacing just the rings and pistons can solve an issue.

Last edited by dkaile : 19th March 2014 at 09:52.

Most Viewed