Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2012, 15:55   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Congrats Dkaile. I always drool over this car when ever I see one. Today was no exception,the street presence that this beauty commands is just great. And the kind of features that this car provides for the money it charges, it redefines-VFM.

Congrats again. Looking forward to more pics. Also could click some pics with your Fortuner and your Superb side by side?
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 16:11   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a fantastic car for the price and a very detailed and comprehensive review to boot! When I was in the market for a sedan last year I had put down the Laura DSG as a potential candidate and the Europa Skoda SR showed me a Superb 1.8TSI MT which was 19.xx OTR in Pune back then. Cheaper than an L&K was how he sold it to me

If I'd had the budget I'd go for it with eyes closed. What a car!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 17:14   #48
BHPian

congrats on a truly "Superb" car mate,I just have small query does superb also come with the front heated seats like Laura because i cannot see those buttons at their usual place.
trumpcard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 21:11   #49
BHPian

Congratulations on the Superb car dkaile! Its literally raining skoda's on Team-BHP! A nice in-depth review with stunning pictures. Rated 5 stars! Please keep the thread updated. Wish you a pleasant ownership experience.
Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 10:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

Some quick night shots. Pardon the quality. Better shots soon -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-front-lights.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-rear-lights.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-instrument-cluster-night.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-stereo-night.jpg
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 10:39   #51
BHPian

I already knew that Superb was, well, a superb car. But I never knew that Superb is much better than what I imagine it to be since I never saw a review as detailed as yours. And you're still writing the review! I keep checking this thread for updates from you. Rated well-deserved 5 stars.

Reading your review, I fail to understand the following things-
1. Why do people buy other cars like Altis at 16 lac? Because Toyota A.S.S. is better? Meh, even if Superb costed 5 lac more, I would somehow arrange for more money and buy the Superb.
2. Why do people buy more expensive cars like Mercedes S-Class? Is S-Class really that much better than Superb?
3. How come Jetta and Passat manage to sell while Superb is on sale?
4. What will be use of your Fortuner now that you've Superb to drive around?

IMO The only rival of Superb in India is the now-out-of-production Ford Mondeo. A friend of mine has both the Superb and Mondeo. When he has to carry more than 1 passenger, he drives the Superb, otherwise it's the Mondeo.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 28th March 2012 at 10:41. Reason: Grammar correction
DevilsCry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 10:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations dkaile (or shud we call you Master Yoda
What an amazing chariot you've got there. Superb really in all senses!!!

One question though. Do you drive yourself! If yes, then how do you manage it in Meerut!!! I got married there in Meerut and it took our Innovas about 2 hours to reach the venue (near University) from the Meerut bypass flyover (that branches off NH I think after Modinagar) coming from Delhi. The traffic in Meerut is absolutely crazy (at least it was in 2009).
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 12:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
I already knew that Superb was, well, a superb car. But I never knew that Superb is much better than what I imagine it to be since I never saw a review as detailed as yours. And you're still writing the review! I keep checking this thread for updates from you. Rated well-deserved 5 stars.

Reading your review, I fail to understand the following things-
1. Why do people buy other cars like Altis at 16 lac? Because Toyota A.S.S. is better? Meh, even if Superb costed 5 lac more, I would somehow arrange for more money and buy the Superb.
2. Why do people buy more expensive cars like Mercedes S-Class? Is S-Class really that much better than Superb?
3. How come Jetta and Passat manage to sell while Superb is on sale?

IMO The only rival of Superb in India is the now-out-of-production Ford Mondeo. A friend of mine has both the Superb and Mondeo. When he has to carry more than 1 passenger, he drives the Superb, otherwise it's the Mondeo.
While i agree with you in respect to the Superb, i can't seem to agree with your view on the Mondeo ! It was a real failure in the market and the previous gen Accord had set the benchmark in the segment at that time. I remember we got our previous Accord for 15.5 on road !! That was truly staggering VFM. Now of course it is the Superb that has set the benchmark for VFM.
Old 28th March 2012, 12:46   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Well, the Superb and Fortuner are 2 different class of vehicles and each has its own utility. But after traveling from Uttaranchal back to Meerut on many near dirt track patches, I hardly see a road which the Superb cannot overcome, except hard core off-roading of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
One question though. Do you drive yourself! If yes, then how do you manage it in Meerut!!! I got married there in Meerut and it took our Innovas about 2 hours to reach the venue (near University) from the Meerut bypass flyover (that branches off NH I think after Modinagar) coming from Delhi. The traffic in Meerut is absolutely crazy (at least it was in 2009).
Yes, I always drive myself. Sometimes I take a driver along on a long route, if I am going alone, but he sits besides me, to change a flat if that occurs or to do the occasional parking in Delhi/Outstation. Traffic is still crazy in Meerut but not to the extent you are mentioning. It may have been a one off event. Also now a beautiful 8 lane NH Bye-pass is fully operational and we have many detours to avoid traffic if necessary.

Some off points -
- Service Interval of the vehicle is 15000 kms or 1 year which ever is earlier. I have been given 2 Free coupons from Skoda, one for a Free checkup at 6 months/7500 kms which includes a wash etc. and second for the 1st Free Service at 15000km/1 year which ever is earlier. Service cost told t me was around 7~8K for the 1st service. The Engine oil recommended by Skoda is now Castrol Edge Synthetic Oil 5W40. They said it is normal if 100ml oil needs to be topped up during the 1st 5K kms.
- The headlight range is selected 'automatically' in this vehicle as it senses the load and adjusts the high/low beam automatically. So NO headlight adjust setting (mandatory by law) in this vehicle.
- The side mirrors do not fold in at high speeds. Only at low speeds below 20kmph/standstill can you fold the outside mirrors.
- I have also activated the function whereby the side view mirrors auto tilt on reverse gear selection as mentioned in its features - Skoda Superb Car Features - Skoda Superb India . Nifty feature.
- There is a warning light for almost everything in this vehicle. Some rarely seen examples are - Windshield washer fluid level light, thickness of brake pads light, bonnet open light, boot open light, bulb failure light etc. etc.
- It has Rain Closing Function for all windows and sunroof i.e. it automatically closes the windows and panoramic tilt/slide sunroof in a locked car when it starts raining. Also if this function is set on and it is not raining, all these mirrors will automatically close after 12 hours.
- Bonnet release is on the wrong side for India
- The doors can be set to automatically lock/unlock at 15kmph
dkaile is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 14:36   #55
BHPian

This thread by you has really done a number on me.

We are in the market currently for a car which should comfortably seat 5 or maybe six people (very rare). Cars under consideration were the top end Innova, the XUV 500 ( were planning to try the next lottery), and maybe if the duster releases on time then that was also a maybe.

Now the Innova will reach around 16.2 to 16.5 on road Delhi, even the XUV will be around there give or take a lakh or maybe 1.5.

Now we had never even thought about the Superb, reason being it was a totally different class and all I had heard was that the diesel superb is roughly 25 on road in Delhi.

But considering that the car will not do more than 15000 km in a year and that too will be Gurgaon - Dharamshala (HP) runs, I am now seriously contemplating getting the petrol superb, I was quoted 17.9 in Gurgaon.

Now have heard enough A.s.s. horrors but then again if I think about it isnt the XUV awash with its own stories about parts failing and what not, so in that context I will probably think of Skoda as an expensive Mahindra. But the refinement in parts and the overall feel of the vehicle is miles ahead and at the price one can get it for, It would be stupid for me not to consider this car.

I guess the next step is to book a quick test drive and see what it is like to drive this beautiful beast.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 14:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

@Dkaile.

Can you change the led color of the centre console. Currently its green is what i see in the picture.

Also can you remove that service station sticker from the rear wind shield. I hate it when the service or sales guys stick their own centres name. I ensure they dont stick anything on the glass without my permission.

Quote:
But considering that the car will not do more than 15000 km in a year and that too will be Gurgaon - Dharamshala (HP) runs, I am now seriously contemplating getting the petrol superb, I was quoted 17.9 in Gurgaon.
Test drive this beauty if you need a petrol. An suv is good. But superb is just great. No matter how bad you treat this car, it pampers you. In literal sense the space and the equipment this car gives out is just unmatched. It may not be the greatest handler but why buy a superb for handling. DSG or Not the petrol Superb is so silent and so well built with brilliant equipment that it will always remain a car to buy for me even if they change the car shape and space in its newer versions. I may opt the current version .

5 people - Comfortable seating - I can tell u the superb will actually feel better compared to some suv's. The front two rows are more like home furniture and the rear seat comfort cannot be matched. SUV may give you the space but the comfort on the rear seat of a Superb is just sublime.

My two cents. One of the greatest admirer of a superb. I drive a jetta. So nothing biased about it.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 15:51   #57
BHPian

Congrats dkaile for buying the best vehicle the right side of 20 lacs.

Absolutely love the car and loved the detailed pictures and descriptions of each and every feature.

I feel Skoda doesnt need any more salesmen to sell their vehicle, they can just point potential customers towards this thread. Maybe they should pay you a small commission for each Superb sold from here on.

What is also heartening to see is that we are finally getting to hear good Skoda stories on this forum. Maybe Skoda is finally doing something that lives up to the tagline.

Congrats once again wish you many happy (s)miles. Your garage is exactly what i have always dreamt of and aim to have someday.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 21:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
for a car which should comfortably seat 5 or maybe six people

I guess the next step is to book a quick test drive and see what it is like to drive this beautiful beast.
Just today we had 4 x 16 year old giggly girls (my daughter and her friends) in the back seat with me and my better half up front. And with the width, they weren't complaining much. Not that it is the norm, but 3 fit quite comfortably abreast at the back unlike many other luxo-barges I have seen.

On these highway runs you should easily be able to garner 11~12kmpl on Petrol. 17.9L sounds like an unbelievable price with Haryana registration which is nearly 60K more than Uttaranchal. I was quoted nearly a lac extra with Haryana registration. Do cross check the VIN to confirm that the car has not been standing since long in their yard and is totally fault/dent free. Luckily mine turned out to be factory fresh.

Test drive is the best way to go ahead but I have seen few test drive vehicles maintained up to the mark or lets say my requirements, to take a final call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Can you change the led color of the centre console. Currently its green is what i see in the picture.

Also can you remove that service station sticker from the rear wind shield. I hate it when the service or sales guys stick their own centres name. I ensure they dont stick anything on the glass without my permission.

It may not be the greatest handler
No, the colour cannot be changed afaict. However the light intensity of all buttons changes with the Instrument Cluster Light Intensity Adjustment dial. Even the Music system's brightness changes with that single switch. Neat!! And the green looks quite nice in actual usage. There are also hints of small LED lights called Catvision Lights at many places like behind the door opening knobs or directly falling on the gear lever from top, which are not visible in these photos. You have to see this car at night in the flesh to realise the meaning of true luxury (at least for me upgrading from the humble Toyota's).

I also like to keep my car clean from the back. Just waiting for my permanent number to come, when that horrid pasted temporary number prints will be removed from the back and front along with the A$$ sticker.

In fact, handling is one the STRONGER points of the Superb. It handles curves with aplomb which is supposedly even better than the Passat (as per Autocar comparo).

Last edited by dkaile : 28th March 2012 at 21:28.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 21:35   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
In fact, handling is one the STRONGER points of the Superb. It handles curves with aplomb which is supposedly even better than the Passat (as per Autocar comparo).
Actually Autocar reported handling of Superb as better than Passat only because the Superb has a hydraulic steering whereas the PAssat has an electric power steering (EPS) because of the self parking feature and blue efficiency.

The Passat suspension setup is much better than the Superb but the steering is what removes some of the feel.
Old 28th March 2012, 21:42   #60
Senior - BHPian

One for the night from my Samsung Galaxy S2 -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-superb-backlight.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks