Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2012, 14:11   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

the video looks awesome.. thanks for post! Its with amazing precision that these robots seem to work.
madan80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 20:48   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
One of the Superb Reviews of the 1.8 Petrol DSG from an Indian Site CarToq. Superbly detailed and HONEST to the dot. I couldn't have detailed its features more honestly as they have done in such a short time -
Hi Dkaile,
Liked this review.
A quick question: I noticed Hill descend control next to the gear shaft.
Have you tried using it?
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 22:59   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
A quick question: I noticed Hill descend control next to the gear shaft.
Have you tried using it?
That is the ESP on/off switch along with Tyre Pressure Monitor/Reset Switch. On the other side is the Parktronic On/Off Switch. Havn't tried switching it on/off yet.

But I did encounter the Auto Hill Hold Control while I was standing on a red light on steep road. It was quite helpful and held the car in its position till I slotted into gear and accelerated. Quite Nifty, in fact...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 05:56   #124
Senior - BHPian

A wonderful car, a superbly-detailed ownership thread, my bad that I missed this for so long! Wishing you miles and miles of happy ownership. Keep us posted on the 'superb' car that you have.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 11:35   #125
BHPian

Dear dkaile,
An awesomely detailed review for the superb Superb. I enjoyed the endless feature list and some were really rare one, never heard of or ever thought about a warning light for "thickness of brake pads"

Although Superb in Rosso Brunello is my favorite car-color combination and I strongly believe that it only and perfectly fits for Superb. No other car (at least on Indian roads) could look any better in this color.

I always liked Superb but lived with this disbelief that it starts with around 30+ budget, till I read your thread! There are few another Superb threads too but never cared to read about the cost, just enjoyed the pictures. I recall one BHPian who got two Skodas at the same time and one was Rosso Brunello Superb. Well, even Laura was beyond my reach and Superb is there to be admired at this time! But when it was time to get my hands on the very first car, I got none other than a 1.6 Fabia even though the difference between 1.6 Polo and it was mere <10K. Despite many sad incidences with Skoda Dealers and/or A.S.S their cars are simply killer in design and performance yet at affordable price.

You (and other Superb/Fabia owners) will get a smile to know that when we cross any Superb, refer them as "Dadi" (Grand Mother) of our baby Fabia! And yes all other Fabias are "Didi" to her, as per the name given by my little niece!
iSpoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 22:06   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeev Rai View Post
Hi

What Milage you get during normal city driving in Pune
Hi Sanjeev,

Sorry for the delayed response.
The Superb isnt my daily drive. Dad uses it. But the average FE that we get on city drives is anywhere between 7.XX to 10.XX kpl.
Old 21st April 2012, 16:37   #127

Thanks Swanand

This was most helpful and authentic - as many telling me FE 10-13 in city which did not seem corresponding to congested taffic we face all time. In fact my Vento Petrol AT also return FE 7.xx - 10.xx in Delhi city - but mostly 8+

Have another question - apprecaite your view

Is it worth buying 2011 built Superb but with current date registration at Rs 2 Lac discount from dealer
Old 21st April 2012, 17:50   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
as many telling me FE 10-13 in city which did not seem corresponding to congested taffic we face all time. In fact my Vento Petrol AT also return FE 7.xx - 10.xx in Delhi city - but mostly 8+

Is it worth buying 2011 built Superb but with current date registration at Rs 2 Lac discount from dealer
Well, I haven't got an overall tank-to-tank efficiency of less than 8kmpl at any cost, in the city for now. Maybe due to the manual variant which I drive, which will somehow give better efficiency in the city compared to the highway where the DSG might score. My overall FE is varying between 8 to 10kmpl in Meerut City traffic which is somehow not as bad as the say Bangalore or Mumbai. FE also greatly depends upon one's driving style, release of clutch, stop and go traffic etc., especially in the city.

I still think a late (Nov/Dec) 2011 built Superb but with 2012 registration is worth it provided you get the 2L discount on the pre-budget price. You will only miss KESS system which is now introduced on the 2012 variant but I think a 2~3L extra payment, just for KESS, is not justified.
Old 21st April 2012, 18:07   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Swanand

This was most helpful and authentic - as many telling me FE 10-13 in city which did not seem corresponding to congested taffic we face all time. In fact my Vento Petrol AT also return FE 7.xx - 10.xx in Delhi city - but mostly 8+

Have another question - apprecaite your view

If you are looking at the Superb DSG, then I think it would be too optimistic to expect anything higher than 9 kmpl within the city. I drive a Laura TSI MT, which shares its engine with the Superb, in Bangalore city and I can tell you that I have averaged anywhere between 8.50 ~ 11.00 when driving within city limits. I think you can expect pretty similar FE figures within the city with the Superb DSG as the Vento AT, which is pretty good when you consider the fact that the engine produces more power and has to move the bulk of the Superb.
Old 22nd April 2012, 08:54   #130

Well for discounts on late 2011 built - have checked with most dealers - discoutns are max 2 lac on current price - not on prebudget price - deal is for discount upto 2 lac or else interest free loan for 85% for 3 years - which saves interest of about 2.72 lac - some freebees like 3 year free maintenance, matting / mud flaps, teflon coating etc may be thorwn in additionally. Surprisingly the max dsocount at times applies only to White color - but if you show the cheque and refuse White totally they may be willing to offer other colors too if in stock
Old 25th April 2012, 11:42   #131
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb Hatchback 1.8 TSI 160 Elegance 5dr interior and boot space -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-1499445492.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-149944581.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-1499444240.jpg

LED DRL's in place of P21W bulbs, that are CANBUS compatible and do not give any error on the MID on ebay -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-led20p21w.jpg

Ebay Link - BA15S - 1156 - 382 - P21W 21 SMD 1156 Canbus LED White 2 Pack | eBay

Difference in light as per Briskskoda-
Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-drl.jpg

Last edited by dkaile : 25th April 2012 at 11:43.
Old 25th April 2012, 15:22   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda Superb Hatchback 1.8 TSI 160 Elegance 5dr interior and boot space -
Dhiraj ji,
That's nice statistics there!
Re: the hatchback part, I thought most Skoda's, like the Octavia, Laura & the Superb, are notchbacks.

Quote:
LED DRL's in place of P21W bulbs, that are CANBUS compatible and do not give any error on the MID on ebay -
Those LEDs will add character to the car.
My only grouse with Skoda Engineers being, the placement of the DRLs on the Superb.
Many a times, these DRLs get mistaken for fog lights which the owner/ driver has forgotten to turn off.
Old 25th April 2012, 15:28   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Re: the hatchback part, I thought most Skoda's, like the Octavia, Laura & the Superb, are notchbacks.

Those LEDs will add character to the car.
My only grouse with Skoda Engineers being, the placement of the DRLs on the Superb.
Many a times, these DRLs get mistaken for fog lights which the owner/ driver has forgotten to turn off.
Well they are called as Hatchbacks in the UK market from which those dimensions are taken.

So true about the placement of the DRL's. But then, as GTO mentioned, their one MD had already been sacked for making a car as good as an Audi at half the cost. If they would have placed LED type DRL's then who would buy an Audi... lolz. I also firmly believe that those quirky tail lights on the Superb, are a deliberate attempt by their engineers to tone down the car, as they could have easily kept the chink in the tail lights out and made them straight. But then it would have made them better than an Audi again.

This is how the DRL's would look in my car after LED -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-2011may22skodadrl1.jpg

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-2011may22skodadrl2.jpg

And this is how the Superb (that's a Superb estate in the picture) would look if FULLY LEDed!! -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-psp_6625.jpg

Now, that's giving me ideas... lolz

Last edited by dkaile : 25th April 2012 at 15:47.
Old 25th April 2012, 16:45   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is how the DRL's would look in my car after LED -
Now, that's giving me ideas... lolz
Don't fall for this idea (at least on the inside!) LED lighting especially with Bluish white light (6000 Kelvin +) is very harmful on the eyes and has high glare. If you want to experience how it looks - see the interior lighting on an XUV and you will feel how glary it is.
LED lighting if done with warmer colour temperatures (4000K ) is still better and causes less glare.

The spectral distribution of LEDs is concentrated around specific wavelengths generated (Blue + Green + red) and is not uniform like natural light and it is very harsh for the eyes. Incandescent / Halogens are the closest in spectral distribution to natural light and are the most comfortable.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 18:53   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Don't fall for this idea (at least on the inside!) LED lighting especially with Bluish white light (6000 Kelvin +) is very harmful on the eyes and has high glare.
Though I do not doubt your source of information, but I have been told that 6000K crisp white light is UK road legal. Kindly see this item - E-APPROVED DRL Daytime Running Lamps 5-LED Front Lights LEGAL A LAND ROVER | eBay
In fact in the UK, from 2011 onwards, DRL are compulsory on all new cars.

Most Viewed