Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:18   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Thanks Behemoth
The above link doesn't seem to be working. The corrected link is here - VW Golf (1K) Headlight Aim Control (Xenon with AFS) - Ross-Tech Wiki

One thing I wanted to ask you (or any other Superb/Skoda owner) is that I see in the Lights setting, by default, the Travel Mode was ticked on. Should it be on or off for Indian driving conditions? I tried experimenting with it and found that if I untick travel mode, the light focus shifts slightly to the left. On ticking (enabling), it shifts slightly to the right. I think the latter one is the correct position for India as light focus should be slightly to the right as we travel on left side of the road.

Any comments on this are welcome.

Last edited by dkaile : 2nd May 2012 at 16:29.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:33   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Thanks Behemoth
The above link doesn't seem to be working. The corrected link is here - VW Golf (1K) Headlight Aim Control (Xenon with AFS) - Ross-Tech Wiki

One thing I wanted to ask you (or any other Superb/Skoda owner) is that I see in the Lights setting, by default, the Travel Mode was ticked on. Should it be on or off for Indian driving conditions? Itried experimenting with it and found that if I untick travel mode, the light focus shifts slightly to the left. On ticking (enabling), it shifts slightly to the right. I think the latter one id the correct position for India as light focus should be slightly to the right as we travel on left side of the road.

Any comments on this are welcome.
Hi Dkaile,

Thanks for correcting the link (must have been a copy paste error!)

This travel mode setting is essentially a tweaking of the lights inward / outwards for oncoming traffic. In some European countries, it is mandatory that the headlights are aimed leftward for RHD countries, so that the light blinds the oncoming traffic less (similar to the Black sticker rule in many states in India!). In many countries, there is no oncoming traffic on the same road (roads are multilaned and split) so this rule is not applicable in those countries, hence this setting is provided.
For India, technically you should have the beams pointing slightly leftward to avoid blinding traffic.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:13   #168
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Model Year 2013 being launched shortly in the UK. When can we see the same changes in India? - ?KODA - ?KODA?s model palette becoming even more attractive

Skoda Superb 2013 entrails the following changes in 2013 model (to be rolled out May onwards in UK) -

- New Style variant (based on Ambition trim) featuring bigger alloys, new interior finishes, new seat material,
- Software updates to Bluetooth, Navigation and Air Conditioning systems.
- More exterior colours (would definitely like to see this in India)

Quote:
ŠKODA’s model palette becoming even more attractive

​ ŠKODA cars with many new product details from late May 2012. ŠKODA Superb, Yeti, Octavia, Roomster and Fabia available immediately as “Style” special editions. Two-tone Roomster: “Bicolor” variant sports different-coloured roof and attractive decor foil on side panels. ŠKODA Citigo: now available with automated five-speed gearbox and as a left-hand drive.
ŠKODA expands its existing product palette to include attractive special models, colours and trim options for the 2013 model year. This will make the brand’s portfolio around the Octavia, Fabia, Superb, Yeti, Citigo and Roomster even more diverse. Some novelties, such as the“Style” special models based on the “Ambition” trim level, will be available immediately, other options will be marketed from late May 2012.

Each of ŠKODA’s model lines will become more diverse as a result of the 2013 model upgrading. ŠKODA’s Superb, Yeti, Octavia, Roomster and Fabia models, for instance will be available immediately as “Style” special editions. All “Style” models are based on the “Ambition” trim level. The “Style” edition also includes new seat covers. The ŠKODA Superb Style also shines with its “Luxon” 18-inch wheels with an anthracite coating and an interior design in a piano lacquer look. The ŠKODA Yeti Style, for its part, sports “Annapurna” 17-inch alloy wheels and a two-tone finish.

“ŠKODA customers love the brand for its attractive product portfolio, its roomy, family-friendly cars that are functional and have a great price-value ratio,” says Jürgen Stackmann, ŠKODA board member in charge of sales and marketing. “Our growth plans build on the introduction of new models and a continuous improvement of our existing palette. I am convinced that the novelties we are offering our customers under our 2013 model upgrading will provide a further lift to the impressive results we are currently achieving in over a hundred markets worldwide.”

Model year 2013 innovations enhance customer value, especially through higher comfort and greater safety in ŠKODA vehicles. From late May 2012, for instance, software updates will be available for “GSM II” and “GSM III” hands-free kits and for the “Amundsen+” navigation system and also for vehicles’ air conditioning systems.

The ŠKODA Citigo, the youngest family member in the brand with the winged arrow, will be available with an automated gearbox (ASG) and can also be ordered as a version for left-hand drive traffic. Weighing in at less than 30 kilogrammes, the ASG is among the lightest automatic transmissions ever built. It will make its own choices as to when to switch gears taking fuel consumption into consideration. The driver no longer needs to operate the clutch but can still shift gears manually if he should wish to. Other innovations for the Citigo include “Night Blue” and “Leaf Silver” metallic paints and “Haydn Blue” or “Quicksilver” interiors.

The Yeti model line can now be ordered with a “GSM III Premium” hands-free kit which was hitherto restricted to ŠKODA’s superior model lines. Also new for the Yeti are “Erebus” alloy wheels with 17-inch rims.

Customers considering a ŠKODA Roomster can now opt for an attractive “Bicolor” design variant with a differently-coloured roof and decorative foil in the roof’s colour on the car’s side panels.

Except for the Citigo, ŠKODA’s entire model offering will add another attractive body colour called “Storm Blue”. “Storm Blue” will replace the existing “Safari Beige” tone.

ŠKODA 2013 model upgrading will become effective from the end of May 2012. ŠKODA “Style” special models have been available since mid-April 2012.
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:59   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Skoda Model Year 2013 being launched shortly in the UK. When can we see the same changes in India? - ?KODA - ?KODA?s model palette becoming even more attractive

Skoda Superb 2013 entrails the following changes in 2013 model (to be rolled out May onwards in UK) -

- New Style variant (based on Ambition trim) featuring bigger alloys, new interior finishes, new seat material,
- Software updates to Bluetooth, Navigation and Air Conditioning systems.
- More exterior colours (would definitely like to see this in India)
This is happening cause its time for the FL superb to launch next year..
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:06   #170
Senior - BHPian

On peering in the car's underbody, I just realised that our Superb's come fitted with Rough Road Package. On going through their website I got the following information -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-techtechnolgym6roughroadpackagefabiaoctaviaoctaviatouryetisuperb01_201204030740.jpg

Rough road package
Rough road package provides the protection from the mechanical damage (e.g. contact with road imperfections or flying debris), and prevents dirt (dust, sand, mud) from getting into the engine bay or into cables.

The package also significantly enhances the ability to cope with the light terrain, thanks to the bespoke springs and shock absorbers.

The rough road package consists of:
  • Engine skid plate,
  • Cable protection,
  • Brake line protection,
  • Fuel line protection,
  • Additional plastic protective parts.
I seem to get some new information about this car everyday. Next up, what is Hill Hold Function.

Last edited by dkaile : 3rd May 2012 at 19:08.
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:32   #171
Team-BHP Support

I guess your thread is turning out to be the most comprehensive one the Superb in this Forum. Thanks, and keep going on!

Quote:
On peering in the car's underbody, I just realised that our Superb's come fitted with Rough Road Package.
Isn't this common across all Skoda cars sold in India?
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 19:54   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Isn't this common across all Skoda cars sold in India?
Thanks vb-san. I am not too sure about all Skoda cars, but I presume the Yeti and the Laura (Octavia elsewhere) must have it.

Coming back to Hill Hold Control -

Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny-techcomfortc18hilldrivingassistantfabiaroomsteroctaviayetisuperb01_201204051343.jpg

Hill Hold Control

The Hill Hold Control allows easy starting up the hill without the risk of unwanted rolling backwards or using the handbrake. It is activated automatically when hill grade is higher than 5%, both when driving forward or in reverse.

When driver releases the brake pedal after stopping on the hill, the HHC keeps the pressure in the brake system for 1 or 2 seconds. In this interval, you can launch easily without rolling.

I accidentally got a taste of this technology recently when I was standing at the Chittaranjan Park Red Light to take a right turn to my residence at Greater Kailash 2 at New Delhi recently. That particular red light has a 5 degree plus gradient and I was surprised when the car held its position when I released the brakes to press the accelerator on the light turning green. Nifty feature and safety measure I would say.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 15:53   #173
BANNED

Quote:
On peering in the car's underbody, I just realised that our Superb's come fitted with Rough Road Package. On going through their website I got the following information
Thanks for that useful info. In fact, a friend of mine owns an Octavia in Coorg, an area known for its bad roads and plantations. When I asked him if the 135mm GC results in any issues, he said " If the car cannot go past an obstacle, it just sits on it and I simply reverse out of it. He has the Octavia for the past 6 years and is completely happy with it.

Can you post a few actual pics of the rough road package installed on your Superb for better clarity and understanding pl?
Old 4th May 2012, 18:00   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Thanks for that useful info. In fact, a friend of mine owns an Octavia in Coorg, an area known for its bad roads and plantations. When I asked him if the 135mm GC results in any issues, he said " If the car cannot go past an obstacle, it just sits on it and I simply reverse out of it. He has the Octavia for the past 6 years and is completely happy with it.
That rough road package is pretty useful for sure. It just makes the car that much more robust and inspires a certain degree of confidence to take the car to unknown destinations. Its nice of the manufacturer to add this feature in country like ours where road conditions are not as automobile friendly as some of the developed nations. These Skodas are not as delicate as some of the premium German marques that have very little underbody protection. With the rough road package, the underbody is covered by a pretty thick plate and not just thin sheet metal.
Old 4th May 2012, 19:23   #175
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for that information - i grilled all the SA"s i came across about what it was and the only thing they had to say on it was that there is a sheet underneath the body.

Quote:

The rough road package consists of:
  • Engine skid plate,
  • Cable protection,
  • Brake line protection,
  • Fuel line protection,
  • Additional plastic protective parts.
I seem to get some new information about this car everyday. Next up, what is Hill Hold Function.
Old 4th May 2012, 19:48   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Petrol Superb MT tops the New Sonata and the Honda Accord in this D Segment showdown in this month's Autocar -

Attachment 920941
The comparision result were inevitable. Always knew Skoda's had amazing cars (horrible service though, as mentioned in the magazine in the concluding statement as well).
But I was surprised to read that the Superb was the narrowest one? Only 2 would be comfortable and 3 is a squeeze? Is that right? I mean I sat in the rear seat but I did not note this. How about you?

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 4th May 2012 at 19:49.
Old 5th May 2012, 08:08   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Can you post a few actual pics of the rough road package installed on your Superb for better clarity and understanding pl?
Thanks n.devdath. Will be posting 'actual' pictures soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Thanks for that information - i grilled all the SA"s i came across about what it was and the only thing they had to say on it was that there is a sheet underneath the body.
Well we all know the training and knowledge levels of SA's in most of the car showrooms. It includes all that Skoda has mentioned in its website including bespoke shock absorbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
But I was surprised to read that the Superb was the narrowest one? Only 2 would be comfortable and 3 is a squeeze? Is that right? I mean I sat in the rear seat but I did not note this. How about you?
In actuality, it will be difficult to seat 3 in the Sonata due to higher and protruding central tunnel, whereas in the Superb I have driven with 3 adults over a distance of 300 kms, in superlative comfort and the middle seat passenger didn't have any cause for complaint though in any sedan, the side rear passengers are more comfortable, due to the seat bolstering fabricated in that way. The Ambassador type flat sofa benches are passe' these days.
Old 5th May 2012, 10:15   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well we all know the training and knowledge levels of SA's in most of the car showrooms.
So DKAILE,

how do we compensate for this ?

what is your mitigation strategy ?

My free services are over and the car is at 22K kms, its about time I take a little more interest in the techinalities of car ownership, rather the " fill it and forget it" strategy.
Old 5th May 2012, 10:23   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
how do we compensate for this ?
By enhancing our knowledge levels irrespective of these Service Advisors. Google is the best friend and so is TBhp.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 10:27   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By enhancing our knowledge levels irrespective of these Service Advisors. Google is the best friend and so is TBhp.
I was looking more in to gathering workshop manuals and other stuff. How do we source these ?
Did you gather the workshop manuals for T FORT and Superb ?

Can we really make use of these ? I have never seen one, hence the question.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks