Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 15:04   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

One fine day I woke up with a very stupid idea planted in my head (Inception?) to upgrade the wheels. I read up a lot, realised that smaller rims I have are better for my purpose in every possible way. So is using Uber.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-w221after.jpeg

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-w221before.jpg

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-tire.jpg

Details on my experence importing the stuff:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post4265996

Some intersting trivia:
1. Mercedes included a useless tire wrench that is 12" long 17mm hex socket. You don't get any leverage with 12" long handle. Lug bolts have flower shape and not hex shape so if you use the hex shape, you will ruin the bolts. So I bought proper tools for the job. I love the socket, doesn't scratch the alloys.
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-wrench.jpg

2. Finally when the wheels arrived, I took off the old wheel and put the new wheel and then I realised the new wheels need shorter lug bolts. Called the Mercedes dealer and the parts department guy tells me all Mercedes cars come with only long bolts and I should find my stuff on JC Road. I emailed him the pics from Internet, he still says no. I finally gave him the part number and then he says "Ohh.. yes we have in stock". Cool! He says each bolt is Rs 800. Wow. No discount even if you buy 100 pieces. I said this is the season of crazy, bring it on. Bought 20 pieces for 16K.
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-bolts.jpg

3. There is a reason why spare tires are not given these days. You need to be a gym instructor to change 19" wheels.

Last edited by androdev : 11th September 2017 at 15:16.
androdev is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 11:41   #167
Team-BHP Support

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

The new wheels look stunning, and have changed the look completely! Multispokes like you've chosen really suit the S class. How is the ride after the upgrade?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 11:55   #168
BANNED

OMG!! No offence, but seeing the car now, i can't imagine how you could live with the previous stock Rims

These look fantastic and single-handedly make the car look multiple times more elegant. Great choice and nice to see the heart rule over head
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 12:02   #169
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The OE alloys on the S look pretty boring. I have seen these multi spoke onew on the W220 S Class - and what a transformation. Reminded me of the OE SL55 AMG wheels. These multi spoke wheels don't make the S look Sporty or Classic - they just look very elegant. Your jaws won't drop open when you see them - but they will just make you smile
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 13:02   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
The new wheels look stunning, and have changed the look completely! Multispokes like you've chosen really suit the S class. How is the ride after the upgrade?
The ride is harsh, the steering is heavy, I think rattles will develop now (I am not used slowing down on rough patches). I didn't even have a single puncture in all these years but now I should be ready for sidewall cracks, faster wear and tear of engine mounts/suspension bits etc. The dealer is telling me their machine won't be able to align these wheel as their database won't recognise,etc. I researched all this but decided to give it a shot when I saw this photo:

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-katr23108061024.jpg

These Mercedes wheels are from SL catalogue (35mm offset). Not meant for S class (43 offset). The seller discouraged me but I was sold on the design. I did not buy staggered wheels though it was nearly at the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
OMG!! No offence, but seeing the car now, i can't imagine how you could live with the previous stock Rims

These look fantastic and single-handedly make the car look multiple times more elegant. Great choice and nice to see the heart rule over head
Thanks. Some of the Mercedes alloys are mind-numbingly boring. I have no clue why they offer such alloys. I am yet to see any Mercedes sedan with impressive wheels these days. BWM I feel does a great job in this respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The OE alloys on the S look pretty boring. I have seen these multi spoke onew on the W220 S Class - and what a transformation. Reminded me of the OE SL55 AMG wheels. These multi spoke wheels don't make the S look Sporty or Classic - they just look very elegant. Your jaws won't drop open when you see them - but they will just make you smile
You absolutely nailed it. That is exactly the 'effect' I was after.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 17:46   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
One fine day I woke up with a very stupid idea planted in my head (Inception?) to upgrade the wheels. I read up a lot, realised that smaller rims I have are better for my purpose in every possible way. So is using Uber.
You bought 19s and are advocating me to downsize from 18 to 17?

The car looks absolutely stunning. The wheels have absolutely transformed the looks. I am a big wheels and tyres guy myself. I hate average looking wheels. When my 1st set of 18s wore out, I was seriously contemplating getting the staggered 19" MSport complete wheel set which were readily available at Navnit at a discounted price. They look absolutely gorgeous. At the last minute I dropped the idea as I did not want any further deterioration in ride quality and also felt 19s would be prone to damage on our roads. I have been pestering the BBS Alloys dealer in Chennai since past six months for a nice looking 18" forged matt black alloy set. No luck so far. Its been out of stock since Feb!
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 08:03   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
You bought 19s and are advocating me to downsize from 18 to 17?
I have so much to talk about this topic

I had a totally carefree run with 17s. They saved me when I didn't notice the speed humps on highways till it's too late, got an unexpected road diversion or when Google maps sent me through the moon terrain.

I consider 17s as running shoes and 19s as high heels. My season-1 of running is over (age and responsibilities catching up), so taking a break with 19s planning to just potter around town. I am keeping the 17s for future use. It's like the street vs off road thing, just takes 30 minutes to swap.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 21:07   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Convinced my family to go with me on a road trip I let them eat Lays chips in the car in bargain.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-map.png

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-road.jpeg

Last edited by androdev : 21st October 2017 at 21:08.
androdev is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 21:14   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer is telling me their machine won't be able to align these wheel as their database won't recognise,etc. I researched all this but decided to give it a shot when I saw this photo:
That is just wrong. It can be aligned.

The wheels look nice but I'm not sure if it's worth spoiling the magic carpet ride of the S Class!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 23:09   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
That is just wrong. It can be aligned.

The wheels look nice but I'm not sure if it's worth spoiling the magic carpet ride of the S Class!
You definitely have a point and that is why it took me so long to consider an upsize. After spending sometime with the new wheels, this is how I would sum up my experience:

1. City broken roads (which are plenty): The ride has gone for a toss. I don't have much city commute so not a big deal. But for a regular city user, this can be a deal breaker.

2. Highways below 90kmph: The ride is a bit firm but marginally. The road noise is noticeably high compared to stock tires on old tarmac.

3. Highways above 90kmph: The road noise difference becomes negligible. The ride and handling become superior to stock. Compared to the stock tires, I find myself cruising at much higher speeds without noticing it.

4. My biggest concern is not ride quality because S class ensures a certain minimum that is adequate for me. I am worried about the tire/rim damage and the resulting breakdown, etc.
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 15:10   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Minor update:

One of the tires (19" wheels) had a puncture so switched to the old 17"s till I got the puncture repaired. I will be sticking to 17" for a long time to come. I apologised to the 17" wheels and promised them I would not go after hot wheels in future
androdev is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 19:40   #177
BANNED

Quote:
I apologised to the 17" wheels and promised them I would not go after hot wheels in future
Very apt decision. Our roads aren't meant for low profile tires and wheels and even if one can afford to replace an alloy/tire now and then, the ride quality compromise is too significant to ignore, even in the magic carpet like "S".
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 20:15   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Convinced my family to go with me on a road trip I let them eat Lays chips in the car in bargain.

]
What is the location of your road trip?
How long was your drive? Did you chnage your tyres for the long drive?
Old 1st March 2018, 21:33   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
What is the location of your road trip?
How long was your drive? Did you chnage your tyres for the long drive?
It's a place called Dhanushkodi, takes you very close to Sri Lanka. I think we covered 1400km during that trip. I didn't change the tires for the trip, just happened to be running on 19" wheels. Got the low tire pressure warning just 300km before Bangalore while returning. I had to refill air once so it was a minor glitch. It turned out to be a small nail. The 19" wheels are fine for highways but lousy for the Bangalore city roads and hence switched back to 17"s currently.
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 12:09   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Customary annual check-in

Completed 6 years and nearing 50K km. Annual service bill was Rs 55K. Approximate break up:
Parts:
1. Engine Oil: 7K
2. Air Filter: 3K
3. Oil Filter: 7K
4. Brake fluid: 3K
5. A/C Filter: 15K

Labour:
Service-B: 15K
Alignment: 2K
Wax/Polish: 2K

I could have said no to A/C filter, alignment, polish, etc. to limit the damage to 35K.

Comments on the service: What used to be a next-day delivery has become 3-day affair. Service culture and infrastructure is still old school while the sales have gone through the roof. My expectations from service department are very low (a secret to enjoying German cars) so this delay doesn't bother me much as long as the servicing is getting done properly.

Insurance: Continuing with Mercedes/BajajAllianz coverage for Rs 98K (no longer an option next year when the car completes 7 years).
androdev is online now   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks