Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 14:30   #31
BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

Congrates Androdev for your S class, personaly my favourite amongst the 7 series and A8.
Though it is aged now but still no comparision for its soothing and calm ride comfort. It actually slow downs your heartbeat as Jermy says!!
Old 9th April 2012, 14:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

This thread is a hell of a ride about a hell of a ride. Mercedes is Mercedes, especially when it comes to the S. "Can't get a car like this" Absolutely delighted to know, you didn't even contemplate looking at other options, exactly what I would have done.

Congratulations on turning into a modern day Czar. The S does that to folks who decide to own it.

Are you planning any additions, say from the lorinser shop?
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 18:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I set off with in intention to buy a 20L car and ended up buying an S350.
I started reading this thread a couple of days ago and i was speechless. Now that i got my voice thought i'd start by saying congratulations.

Boy i thought the ad for the Nissan Sunny Caaaaar stretched things into perspective.

But you have taken stretching to another dimension altogether. Started with the X1, prospective A4, then prospective E class and then mother of all surprises.

Simply Brilliant Buy... I'm sure you will enjoy many a years with this automotive beauty. This is what dreams are made of.

To conclude, i am never going shopping with you...... ever!!. have fun in the lap of luxury.
zimbly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 19:07   #34
BHPian

What a helluva roller coaster ride, Androdev.
Can I get to ride in it at least once?
Old 9th April 2012, 23:49   #35
BHPian

Congrats on your ride... Looks great! Don't know what's wrong with the Audi salespersons. The same is the case with em in Mumbai. My mom wanted to buy an A4 but the salesperson just seemed to be uninterested and thanks to them we got a Bimmer 525d
Old 10th April 2012, 12:40   #36
BHPian

Congrats, Androdev, on your little BIIIIG upgrade.

Apt title for a very able car.

Jonis Joplin's song and your car. What a nice combination. Hats off to you, Sir.
Old 10th April 2012, 15:11   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
Congrats on getting the best car in the world, Androdev. The S class commands respect like no other car.
I remember reading a review where it said that the car has so many electronic safety systems that the driver can be clinically dead, but still the car can get itself from Mumbai to Pune

Now for some driving impressions, please.
Thanks Amit. They removed the "distronic plus" (adaptive cruise control) feature in India due to radar usage restrictions - which is what impressed many expert reviewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The competition may be newer yet, when it comes to comfort, the S-Class is the S-Class. Nothing comes close. That's quite a roller coaster What-Car? thread and I was pleasantly to see an S350 take the place of a Laura. Oh well, you only have one life, so best to live it up!

Congrats on the S, and on reaching that special position in life where you can own one.

Here's a dedication to you & your car:
Janis Joplin - Mercedes Benz - ( Medicine Head Remix 2) - YouTube

Didn't you consider the Jaguar XJ-L? After sitting in one, I'm convinced that it matches the S-Class, and comprehensively trumps the 7 Series & A8. It is mindbogglingly flamboyant, inside & out.

Drive safe!
Thanks GTO for this wishes and the song link. Believe me, this is the first song (not the remix though) I played to my family while driving the car home from the dealership! Did not test drive others - there is a lot of emotional connection with S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
@Androdev sir, thankyou for the images, I actually got a new skype image . I took that bonnet (mercedes logo) image straight in as my skype image. Hope you dont mind.

So one more question, how is your Mercedes CONNECT system? Do you also have that option to choose how much will your boot lid open?(like they show in top gear)
Sure sir. I hope to do a better photo-shoot in the backdrop of a nice vacation spot if I get lucky. Mercedes CONNECT system is about OK - I would say not class leading, but has all the features that one would expect these days. It plays video only from a DVD disc even though it has SD and USB support. As with everything else in the car - all three passengers can enjoy entertainment independently (3 headphones, 2 remotes, splitview, 2 DVD players, etc.)

Yeah I remember seeing the boot opening settings in the command but I have not played with it. Will check how it works and update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Congrates Androdev for your S class, personaly my favourite amongst the 7 series and A8.
Though it is aged now but still no comparision for its soothing and calm ride comfort. It actually slow downs your heartbeat as Jermy says!!
This car has an absolute calming effect on me. Exact opposite of BMW that begs the driver to be anything but calm. Very interesting difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Congratulations on turning into a modern day Czar. The S does that to folks who decide to own it.

Are you planning any additions, say from the lorinser shop?
I am a Czar who is broke a bit but I hope recovery happens soon :-) No additions sir - just prefer to keep it stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbly View Post
To conclude, i am never going shopping with you...... ever!!. have fun in the lap of luxury.
Good one This is just one time - I have saved up for it without spending anywhere else. So maybe except for a car purchase, I am a reasonably safe company!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
What a helluva roller coaster ride, Androdev.
Can I get to ride in it at least once?
NV dude! How are you doing!! Which Punto variant did you buy finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Congrats on your ride... Looks great! Don't know what's wrong with the Audi salespersons. The same is the case with em in Mumbai. My mom wanted to buy an A4 but the salesperson just seemed to be uninterested and thanks to them we got a Bimmer 525d
Yeah, Audi should do a better job at training their sales people. Mercedes has been the best so I far. I suspect they are explicitly instructed to be nice to kids and ladies. I have not seen such kid-friendly experience even in expensive hotels. I understand kids are a bit of trouble in such "atmospheric" places but they have to figure out how to deal with it instead of simply looking grumpy.

Last edited by androdev : 10th April 2012 at 15:24.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 15:37   #38
Team-BHP Support

Good lord! Congratulations on the car; I doubt there's anything to be desired.. well, let me correct that. From a Laura to a 20 lakh replacement hunt to a S-class; wonderful!

I wonder how long you'd have to drive to use all the functions in the car!! Beautiful piece of machinery.

It must be a plain delight to be in the car.

Congratulations again and have a splendid ownership period.

PS : at the rear, why does the left seat appear to be slightly ahead the right one? Camera tricks?
Old 10th April 2012, 15:42   #39
BHPian

Quote:
NV dude! How are you doing!! Which Punto variant did you buy finally!
Hi Androdev,
My Punto is almost three years and 50k kms old
Old 10th April 2012, 16:07   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
PS : at the rear, why does the left seat appear to be slightly ahead the right one? Camera tricks?
I too noticed that and it took me sometime to figure that out - rear seats are electrically adjustable so it is pushed forward :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
Hi Androdev,
My Punto is almost three years and 50k kms old
Wow, time flies! And I can see you are driving lots!
Old 10th April 2012, 16:36   #41
BHPian

Congrats on the S 350, androdev! Is the left side view mirror flat? If so ask the dealer to replace it with a convex one asap. The visibility increases considerably by doing so.
Old 10th April 2012, 19:26   #42
BHPian

Patek Phillipe, A. Lange and Sohne, Ulysse Nardin, etc. etc., whatever and how much ever exotics exist, a Rolex is a Rolex.

Now let's not argue about watches, but I hope you got the point. Pinnacle in status symbol. Known, wait..., not just known, but renowned in every nook and corner of the world, nothing beats a Merc. Pure class.

Thanks for sharing your experience, though I expect more pictures and your views on the backseat riding! Few cars are built for the back seat rider. Tell us, show us more.
ssh1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 20:19   #43
BHPian

Cheers mate. A good choice indeed. Though I am sure you are aware that the reason you got a discount (apart from it being a petrol variant bit) is also because the new generation S class is a year or less away. Don't mean to dampen the spirits as this car is so exclusive as it is and in my opinion one of the best in class.
Old 10th April 2012, 21:41   #44
BHPian

Congratulations again androdev! The pic of the BMW and the Merc Key fob cum chain was such an eye opener. "s" sure looks the $$money$$, and how !

I'm now reminded of a not too old Mercedes print ad. It was something like, wherever you go only Mercedes attracts the creme-de-la-creme among all car buyers and across various car forms such as Suv, sedan, coupe, roadster etc
Old 11th April 2012, 00:41   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wishlist:
1. Auto-Hold: S (all Mercedes cars) has "Hold" feature that works by pressing the brake (in a special way that you will learn easily) after reaching a complete stop. But you have to do this each time you stop - not cool in crawling traffic or driving on inclines. BMW/Audi have dedicated "Auto-Hold" button that automatically engages hold every time the vehicle stops. Mercedes cars can roll back on inclines, while in BMW I could use the "Auto-Hold" button and no worries of rolling back.
Oh wow! That's quite an upgrade from the A4 you had zeroed in on earlier.
As much as everyone says, and as much as I am not a big fan of the S Class compared to the competition, theres no doubt that it feels more regal when than any of those when it passes by.
However, I would still want to try out the XJ-L. First choice in the segment - absolutely loved the car! But then the price you got yours for is incredible and would definitely sway the decision a little, especially given its ride.

About the auto-hold, when you brake and come to a complete stop and mash the brake pedal to activate the hold, the car should not roll back on an incline, unless you de-activate it. Even then, on an incline, deactivate it by pressing the accelerator when you want to move forward, and as the car starts moving, the hold gets deactivated without the car rolling back. Pressing the brake pedal again to deactivate it isn't very effective.
At least this is how it is in the W211 E Class.

Most Viewed