Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2014, 18:24   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
Great post. A few questions.

1) How do you like the fridge? I think it's very cool, but here in the USA it's not even an option. Would love to add one if a used one ever pops up.

2) What is that felt looking holder attached to the top of the glove box for? I have that, and can't figure out what it's for. Also, the videos rca's aren't present on 2010-2013 USA models for some reason, but were on 07-09.

3) 2010-2013 Usa models now have the stowage bins removed! They no longer open, but 07-09 USA models had them, strange...
Don't find the fridge that useful, haven't used it much really. Fridge extends into the trunk/boot thus lowering the available boot space. In India, we don't get to option the car at all, they just sell one trim.

The holder is for the Remote (dvd/music player).

There have been fair amount changes during facelift. The pre-facelift has two batteries (starter battery in the engine bay and convenience battery in the trunk) and I heard the engine can be started off the convenience battery even if the engine battery is dead. Not sure why they removed those features.

What do you have? S350 or S500? How do you like the new W222? I am yet to see it in person.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 19:55   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I have done a lot of travel in South India mostly on obscure roads without prior knowledge of road conditions. I would say this S class is no less competent than an Innova in tackling our terrain.
That some bad / untarred roads that your car has treaded. Agreed that the S class can easily munch those roads, the only fear is of flying debris that can land on the car's glass and metal areas causing a painful little dent on it especially when a big vehicle is passing by from the other side.
Old 17th January 2014, 00:08   #93

Attached Thumbnails
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-image.jpg  

Jason B is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 01:17   #94

Quote:
Don't find the fridge that useful, haven't used it much really. Fridge extends into the trunk/boot thus lowering the available boot space. In India, we don't get to option the car at all, they just sell one trim.

The holder is for the Remote (dvd/music player).

There have been fair amount changes during facelift. The pre-facelift has two batteries (starter battery in the engine bay and convenience battery in the trunk) and I heard the engine can be started off the convenience battery even if the engine battery is dead. Not sure why they removed those features.

What do you have? S350 or S500? How do you like the new W222? I am yet to see it in person.
I would love that fridge, but mainly just as conversation piece. If a used one ever pops up, let me know

Ah, yes, I found out how to attach the holder to the top of the glove box.

The USA car still has the dual batteries.

I have S550, and still like the W221 better than the W222, which lost some character. I really miss the big fender flares!
Old 21st January 2014, 09:49   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
I have S550, and still like the W221 better than the W222, which lost some character. I really miss the big fender flares!
I have to agree with your there. W222 is a huge improvement inside but looks a bit generic and not as distinct as w221. I couldn't help posting this contrasting pic in response to that private jet one :-)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-img2014010100630.jpg
androdev is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 01:28   #96

Ha, very cool! Do you have any other tips or tricks you've learned with your car?
Old 22nd April 2014, 16:09   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

The car is 2 years old now and has clocked 19,000 km. Have been pretty happy with the car and service experience at Sundaram Bangalore.

The 2nd service (they call it Service-B) cost me around Rs 52K. Still running on the original brake pads, not bad! Below is the cost for parts and the rest is for labour.
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-s350serviceb.jpg

The cats in my neighbourhood are in love with this car. I should tell them to look for a Jaguar some place instead.
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-catonhood.jpeg
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-catinbay.jpeg
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-catonwheel.jpeg
androdev is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 16:15   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car is 2 years old now and has clocked 19,000 km. Have been pretty happy with the car and service experience at Sundaram Bangalore.

Attachment 1233402
Lol, nice pic Last one was cute.

And its 38k on bill. Is there another bill for 12k? I thought you had a package which took care of these too.
Old 22nd April 2014, 16:27   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

The tyre look pretty worn out @ 19000 kms . Looks like you will have to change them at 25K mark
The bill looks pretty decent looking at the first page of it you have posted. The General Routine Service costing 10K is bit shocking but then this is a merc , that too a S Class.
Did they bleed the brake lines of 1 ltr of brake fluid?! That would mean totally draining the brake fluid and putting fresh one.

BTW Cute cats
Old 22nd April 2014, 16:29   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
And its 38k on bill. Is there another bill for 12k? I thought you had a package which took care of these too.
Yeah.. the bill has other pages, I just attached the parts details. The labour is just a single entry that says "Service-B" with 12k+tax amount. And yes I have a service package that covered everything including cleaning, pick up and drop.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 20:07   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And yes I have a service package that covered everything including cleaning, pick up and drop.
How will you compare this with BMW - BSI Packages ? Do they include consumables like Brake Pad as well like BMW ? 7 series & S class have become out of budget - saw GL yesterday which @ 74 Lac looks kind of value .
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:18   #102
BHPian

Lovely pics of the feline family who seem to have fallen in love with your car.

The service bill looks pretty reasonable for an S-Class I must say.
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:57   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The tyre look pretty worn out @ 19000 kms . Looks like you will have to change them at 25K mark
Haven't paid attention, I thought one can expect min 30K from tires. Let us see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
How will you compare this with BMW - BSI Packages ? Do they include consumables like Brake Pad as well like BMW ? 7 series & S class have become out of budget - saw GL yesterday which @ 74 Lac looks kind of value .
Couple of differences based on my experience:

BSI is backed by BMW and you can get the service done through any BMW dealer. But my guess is Mercedes package (star ease) seems to be tied to the dealer as I remember signing a service-contract of sorts with the dealership.

I have the top-tier BSI package and I felt they are too stingy. The cleaned and replaced the filters instead of putting new ones. BSI excludes bunch of things (wheel alignment, etc.) and my local dealer doesn't give complimentary wash, pick-up/drop. Overall feels economy class. They also fuss about getting approval from BMW for few things. I wanted the wiper blade to be replaced when the monsoon season started and they were "you can do this only during a service visit". When I insisted then they said they need to get BMW approval, etc. They finally obliged.

It might be due to the local dealership also but Mercedes service experience is super smooth. They "take care of you" and you don't have to work the machine and everything is covered. It is business class treatment.

I also find BMW's products like BSI, BMW Secure, etc. are all more expensive than Mercedes' equivalents.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 15:46   #104
Team-BHP Support

My experience is totally opposite , local dealer is more than helpful and that's the reason I have stayed with brand till now . They will always give Car in much better shape with wash , polish & interior cleaning all complimentary .

Yes the wiper blades can be changed only during service but manageable depending on relations with dealer , maybe because you picked S class instead of 7 !

Thanks for your feedback .
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 19:13   #105

Congratulations on your 3 pointed star. Nothing quite spells "you've arrived" like an S class.

I believe you would be treated like a royalty everywhere you go. Would love to see a snap of your garage with the German's give each other company.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks