Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2014, 20:23   #106
BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

Hey Androdev, that's a wonderful car.
As you have owned both Bimmers and Mercs, I guess you would be the best to answer this. Which car has better After Sales and Service, and which is more reliable? I am looking to replace my trusty Octavia, which runs 25,000 km annually. I am looking for the 5 and E, which has the better service package? BSI prices have skyrocketed considerably, even though it is for a longer duration. On the face of it, Star Ease seems more comprehensive and as you said "Business Class" like, but does it have any shortcomings?

Last edited by prakhar1998 : 28th June 2014 at 20:24.
Old 16th July 2014, 16:32   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
Hey Androdev, that's a wonderful car.
As you have owned both Bimmers and Mercs, I guess you would be the best to answer this. Which car has better After Sales and Service, and which is more reliable? I am looking to replace my trusty Octavia, which runs 25,000 km annually. I am looking for the 5 and E, which has the better service package? BSI prices have skyrocketed considerably, even though it is for a longer duration. On the face of it, Star Ease seems more comprehensive and as you said "Business Class" like, but does it have any shortcomings?
Hey prakhar1998, sorry haven't seen your post earlier.

Both cars are more or less equally reliable except low GC and absence of spare-wheel in 5-series really bother me. IMO, you won't see much difference in cost of ownership between these two. Just buy what you like.

Service experience is totally driven by the local dealer. My experience with Mercedes is better but I have heard the opposite in other cities.

Star Ease covers only max 3yrs/60K km compared to BMW 5yrs/100K km. Given that the first 2-3 years are likely to be very easy on pocket to own these cars, I don't see much point in Star Ease of 3yrs. I am neutral on service package - it doesn't make much difference. Low usage owners are better off without prepaying for service they don't need.

Keep max warranty depending on how long you want to keep the car. Buy good insurance coverage depending on the traffic you deal with.
Old 17th July 2014, 21:50   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Hey prakhar1998, sorry haven't seen your post earlier.

Both cars are more or less equally reliable except low GC and absence of spare-wheel in 5-series really bother me. IMO, you won't see much difference in cost of ownership between these two. Just buy what you like.

Service experience is totally driven by the local dealer. My experience with Mercedes is better but I have heard the opposite in other cities.

Star Ease covers only max 3yrs/60K km compared to BMW 5yrs/100K km. Given that the first 2-3 years are likely to be very easy on pocket to own these cars, I don't see much point in Star Ease of 3yrs. I am neutral on service package - it doesn't make much difference. Low usage owners are better off without prepaying for service they don't need.

Keep max warranty depending on how long you want to keep the car. Buy good insurance coverage depending on the traffic you deal with.
I absolutely agree. I got my E Class this Monday. Very happy with the purchase. Opted out of Star Ease because of the same reason, but did take Extended Warranty.
Old 17th July 2014, 22:09   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I absolutely agree. I got my E Class this Monday. Very happy with the purchase. Opted out of Star Ease because of the same reason, but did take Extended Warranty.
Congrats, all the right decisions :-) Facelift E looks fabulous and by far the most distinct looking on the road. I feel it is good to be in the Mercedes camp these days - I am seeing a lot more action from them.
Old 18th July 2014, 12:29   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a minor update. Fixed a dashcam in the car today. I was worried about the wiring but I was able to tuck it under the headliner, A-piller trim, etc. The glovebox has a 12V socket that is powered on only when the ignition is on.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-1img2014071800848.jpeg
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-2img2014071800849.jpeg
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-4img2014071800851.jpeg
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-5img2014071800853.jpeg

This is a snapshot from the video:
Name:  Screen Shot 20140718 at 12.20.29 PM.png
Views: 5760
Size:  507.3 KB

Here is the link to the product:
http://amzn.com/B00F2GMUPU

My only criteria was to pick up something very discrete with in-built LCD. Not much worried about the specs and performance.

Last edited by androdev : 18th July 2014 at 12:58.
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 17:39   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Just returned from Bangalore - Madikeri - Bekal round trip. While on the return trip, the car developed some kind of brake judder/vibration noise and eventually "check brake wear" message popped up on the dash. Spoke to the service manager and we both agreed it is better to drive back to Bangalore instead of opting for breakdown service. The braking was normal, just accompanied some noise. Will know the reason once I get the car from service next week.

Also while waiting at the Nelamangala road toll gate, one goods jeep stopped behind me. That idiot release the brake without pressing the clutch. The jeep jumped and banged my bumper. The car took it well, but unfortunately the jeep had a bolt protruding which made a hexagonal hole in the center of the bumper - looks like after market reverse camera. I am always worried about someone hitting the car from behind while it is waiting at signal and it finally happened!

Meanwhile here is a video (Taj Coorg to Madikeri town) :-)
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 21:48   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Just a minor update. Fixed a dashcam in the car today. I was worried about the wiring but I was able to tuck it under the headliner, A-piller trim, etc. The glovebox has a 12V socket that is powered on only when the ignition is on..

Hi, what do you think about this, there is a considerable price difference

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best-...arefor-shkmail

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 10th August 2014, 22:49   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Hi, what do you think about this, there is a considerable price difference

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Best-...arefor-shkmail

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
I see few things missing:

1. No in-built LCD. It was a must-have feature for me. If LCD is not required, there are other options like Mobius, etc. brands which are more compact.

2. The mount is not detachable, so if you want to give the car for servicing, etc, it can be a bit of hassle.

3. No GPS option.

4. It says: "items comes without retail box"

So I am not too sure. I would try to pick one from the list here:
http://forum.dashcamtalk.com/categor...and-models.76/
Old 14th August 2014, 15:39   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

The car has done 24000km. As I mentioned in my previous post, there was lot of noise while braking during my drive from Coorg to Bangalore. Couldn't do much except to continue driving with the noise. The pics of brake pads and the scored/damaged rotor:

Notice the pad second from right, (sensor is on the first pad from left):

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-w221brakepadwear.jpg

The rotor surface is very rough, not very clear from the pic:

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-w221rotorwear.jpg

The car has to brake wear sensors (front + rear) - you can see the front sensor in the pic above. So the wear is not uniform as it happened in my case, the brake wear sensor is not that helpful. Also when the sound was coming, I didn't think of checking the inner side of the rotor and just checked the outside rotor which looked smooth and normal.

I have been in touch with Sundaram Motors during this journey and I received lot of support from their service manager. He told me I will be given roadside assistance as soon as I felt the need for it but advised me to continue driving as there was no major issue other than brake wear. He also messaged me late in the evening to check if I have reached home safely. I have mentioned several times during my ownership thread, I have been very happy with my experience with Sundaram Mercedes both during sales and service.

While the dealership has changed all eight brake pads, front two rotors, two brake wear sensors, I am planning to speak to them to find out why only the inner pad is fully worn out. Either they have not inspected my brakes thoroughly last time relying on the assumption that the wear will be uniform and the sensor will alert early enough. Or that particular brake pad got jammed. Will update this thread if I get additional insights into this.

The cost of brake pad job is as follows (approx):

two front rotors/disks: 40k
front brake pad set: 11k
rear brake pad set: 10K
two brake wear sensors: 2.5K
parts total: 64K
labour (includes full wheel alignment, etc.): 7.5K

Total: 71,428 (fully paid by the service package)

Here is the hole jeep made in the rear bumper, you can see the manufacturer's initials imprinted on the bumper :-) It was a nasty hit but fortunately the bumper has a crash bar just behind it that prevented any flex. Is there any plastic paste that I can use to fill it up? There is no other damage to the bumper paint, etc. so don't want to do anything more than a touch up job.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-w221bumperdamage.jpg
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 15:59   #115
BHPian

Great Write up Androdev.Enjoyed reading every bit of it.Sad to hear about the bumper incident.Hope you find a quick and easy solution to it. Have you thought of maybe covering it up with a nice sticker ? Team-Bhp sticker perhaps?
Old 15th August 2014, 00:16   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the hole jeep made in the rear bumper, you can see the manufacturer's initials imprinted on the bumper :-) It was a nasty hit but fortunately the bumper has a crash bar just behind it that prevented any flex. Is there any plastic paste that I can use to fill it up? There is no other damage to the bumper paint, etc. so don't want to do anything more than a touch up job.
Hello!
I can totally understand your sentiments on the issue, just an hour ago I saw Two state transport buses trying to squish an Audi Q7 between them while trying to race. The thought of putting down so much money only to get your car damaged by people who actually don't bother to care horrifies me.

Can't try to fix the mindset of an entire nation, so lets try and fix the bumper:

Use this link to find an appropriate filler : http://www.go-araldite.com/products/...oduct-selector

Steps of the process :-

1.Make sure you mask the whole area with 2-3 layers of masking tape and then carefully cut along the lines of the impression.

2.Fill the area with the white Araldite product that you select from above or a better product.

3.After the filled in substance dries, get some touch up paint and try to cover the area smoothly.

4. Optional : Get the bumper Wrapped in the 3M PPF after this whole process so that the filler stays in place.

Do tell us how it turns out.

P.S. I know some people would feel otherwise about treating a mercedes like this but it's better than spending lakhs on repairs or losing out on the NO claim bonus.

Last edited by Jag4 : 15th August 2014 at 00:23.
Old 15th August 2014, 16:04   #117
BHPian

Quote:
I am always worried about someone hitting the car from behind while it is waiting at signal and it finally happened!
It may have finally happened but sadly it won't be final! May be now that you have proved your worries turn true you will worry less?

Lovely weather, lovely drive and a lovely song! The car is so damn stable on such roads it is amazing!

Cheers,
Old 28th September 2014, 12:36   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed about 26K kms and there are few minor issues that are bugging me:

1. Suspension makes a sound while going over speed humps during first few minutes of driving. The dealer was nice enough to send the technician and drive to test drive the car at my place but I could not reproduce the problem in their presence. I suspect it happens when the weather is cold. It is a minor issue, I will wait till I find a way to reproduce the problem consistently.

2. There is a high-pitch noise as the RPM increases above 3K. The dealership (Sundaram) performed diagnostics and road test and declared there is no problem and it is all good. I ask them to do a long road test again which they obliged to but still say there is no problem. Maybe it is just my imagination but I certainly feel a change in the sound of the acceleration. What do you guys think based on the following videos?

This is my car's acceleration sound:

Here is something I found on youtube for reference:

3. Slight pull to left on a straight line. After many 'wheel balance/alignment' attemps, I have resigned to the fact that it is a Mercedes genetic issue and decided to live with it.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 23:40   #119
BHPian

Hey Androdev - I just re-read this thread again after a long time (since it has a recent activity). I remember reading this thread first time with a smile - on your journey from A4 to S class! I am sure lot of us petrolheads were wishing to be in the same boat at that time

Any case, good to see your thread again. Keep posting the experiences. Many miles of happy motoring to you and family!
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 13:10   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

I think here is more helpful video of the problem. Kept the car in park mode after an hour of driving and gently raised the RPM to 3K or so.

Sent the videos to the dealer, hopefully the problem will be acknowledged and fixed.

Most Viewed