Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2012, 09:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

Thanks a lot guys for your good wishes! I will try to add few night time pics and drive experience details as soon as I get an opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
Congratulations on buying the 'Tank'. Hope it serves you well and long.

Usually, I've seen people who meet with accidents get conservative and go in for used or cheaper replacements. You are an exception !.
I would do the same thing from now on, no other choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
A big congrats . 2 brands in one house . BTW tell us sir or show how big is your garage , or do you park your cars on road ? . Does merc also have a BSI stuff like BMW ?
I am only crazy about cars, and not much into garage, house, retirement funds and kids education, etc. If you pass my house (when cars are not parked), you would expect a C segment car to be parked there.

Merc has a 3yrs/60K km service package @ 2 lakhs for S class (whereas BSI can be up to 5yrs/100K km). I have purchased it for what it is worth - let us hope it is money well spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Congrats on the purchase of such a beautiful car. The pics are too good.

Thanks for your kind words as well. Thanks to you I have moved up the value ladder, in my imagination to begin with and hopefully with my wallet as well!

Cheers,
Thanks diffsoft! The car banter is not going to stop, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@androdev: I think I had last posted on the Laura thread (I think when it met with an accident). And now posting here: Congratulations!
Isn't this the longest car (sedan) owned by a Team-BHPian? (I think they forgot to add a third row in there) :P
Lot of fellow members own some really fabulous cars, just that I am the only jobless guy to put up a review :-)
Quote:
I hope you get enough parking space where ever you go
That is too much to hope for. Let us just say I get to drive this car to only those places that have a decent parking space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
congratulations, this car er how should i put it is "success on wheels"

its super fun when someone asks you,

why did you spend so much on money on this car

your can answer like this " oh, it just takes me from point A to B

with a big grin

can we know about the discount figure (super curious) and why not wait for W222 about to be launched later this year or early 2013
i just read W222 would have hand gestures controls. and they are gonna replace the command system! completely!
Discount: sticker price pre-budget is around 112L + 2L service pkg in Bangalore. I paid 94L. Things would have got gloomier post-budget. No budget for W222 either.

Quote:

anyways this is like upgrading from business class to buying a private jet, thats how i feel.

do you get salaam saheeb from watchmans/staffs all across lol. how is the public perceprtion of this beast. in your words.
i look and dress like a chauffeur so i am usually left alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
That brings me to ask since you did stretch quite far why did you not evaluate the A8 W12 long base version. I've read in the reviews that it has all the gizmos to keep you happy at the back with loads of space and comfort.
As the famous Janis Joplin says, I can't ask the Lord for anything else but a Mercedes Benz. Just kidding mate! At this budget (for me), it is all fuzzy and irrationality. So I am sure there are better cars and much better cars will be available soon. This car did it for me now so why look elsewhere.
androdev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 12:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

Many congratulations on buying the Ultimate Dream Car of Jamie Foxx in the Collateral. I hope it gives you years of pleasure.

Do keep on updating this ownership thread for all of us to drool over.
Old 8th April 2012, 16:29   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on owning the ultimate luxury car.

What was the road tax you had pay for this behemoth?

Our heart sinks when someone nicks our i10s and swifts. I am sorry but I can't even think to imagine how you would feel if some idiot puts a scar on this beauty.

I had been to 3M car care recently and they showed me a new paint and scratch protectant film. The kind of film that is there on the panel below the doors in the Laura. (Don't know if the earlier Lauras had it though) It is supposed to be very tough and can withstand sharp objects and the like. They say it can be cut to any shape and they can put it on any portion we like. Completely transparent and does not compromise on the original looks/ finish of the paint. Costs something like Rs. 50/ sqft. Would be ideal for this beauty of yours. That is of course if MB allow you to do anything like that. There's far too much gadgetry I guess for them to allow outside agencies to even touch the car.

Can I be your driver?
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 20:07   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Gotta love seeing threads like these where one makes the stretch and it always pays off Glad you are living the dream, it is indeed quite a commendable upgrade you have made !

Isn't the ex-show price of the S350 around 85 lakhs? I do know of banglore having one of the highest taxes, yet I don't think the price would jack up to 1.12cr ! If I were paying 94 lakhs(after discount as you mentioned) today for the S350, I'd probably have waited for the next generation thats due this year end.

Is the service pack you purchased provided by MBIL or is it by your dealership because I remember when I considered getting the S-class when the facelift was released I was told of this pack by my dealer but from what I remember it was provided by them and wasn't as inclusive as the BSI by BMW that is genuinely ALL inclusive !

Last edited by Sahil : 8th April 2012 at 20:08.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 21:02   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

What was the road tax you had pay for this behemoth?
In Bangalore it should be 20% of 74L exshowroom price (I think). I am running on TR (will post the exact amount once the tax has been paid)

Quote:
Our heart sinks when someone nicks our i10s and swifts. I am sorry but I can't even think to imagine how you would feel if some idiot puts a scar on this beauty.

I had been to 3M car care recently and they showed me a new paint and scratch protectant film.
Nothing can be done about it. It is the most painful part of being a car lover in India - irrespective of the price of the car. I am familiar with the film from Laura days - you can't defy the law of physics - you can't have the gloss and fool-proof protection at the same time.

Quote:

Can I be your driver?
I would rather let you be the owner instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Gotta love seeing threads like these where one makes the stretch and it always pays off Glad you are living the dream, it is indeed quite a commendable upgrade you have made !

Isn't the ex-show price of the S350 around 85 lakhs? I do know of banglore having one of the highest taxes, yet I don't think the price would jack up to 1.12cr ! If I were paying 94 lakhs(after discount as you mentioned) today for the S350, I'd probably have waited for the next generation thats due this year end.

Is the service pack you purchased provided by MBIL or is it by your dealership because I remember when I considered getting the S-class when the facelift was released I was told of this pack by my dealer but from what I remember it was provided by them and wasn't as inclusive as the BSI by BMW that is genuinely ALL inclusive !
Thanks Sahil. The ex-showroom before budget was 89.5L for S350 in Bangalore. OTR price in Bangalore is about 125% of ex-showroom price when you include Secure/Star-protect type of insurance. Service package will be extra. If I exclude the service package, I paid 92L with a 2.5L petrol card thrown in, so effectively 89.5 OTR price in Bangalore without service package. Seemed like a good deal. See Mercedes price list here:
Mercedes-Benz India - Price Overview - South

I wasn't too keen on waiting for a new model. The crazy government is totally unpredictable and the car prices are going north every other day. I will not be surprised if the new S class costs as much as 1.2cr that is nearly 30L more than what I am paying now. I am one of those rare basement bargain shoppers for S, so I felt it was an opportunity to grab with both hands given how good the current S is.

Leaving aside the budget, I generally wait for the car to be proven before I put my money on it. In that sense, w221 has earned back a lot of respect and trust lost by Mercedes. Except maybe for more "gadgetry", I don't see anything less desirable or needs improvement in the current S class. To be honest, if I hadn't liked this w221 so much I would not have stretched. I was not after the "prestige/exclusivity" at all - it is simply a fantastic car and dare I say phenomenal value-for-money at 90 odd lacks compared to lot of 65L cars (A6 3.0, 530d, E350, etc.)

I did not do much research on the service package. 2 Lakhs seemed like a small amount when compared to the over all budget. It is definitely from the Mercedes and not from the dealer. It is called Star-ease or some such thing. I am attaching the service package coverage details. Star Ease.pdf It seems on par with BSI except that is available only for 3yrs/60K km where as BSI is available up to 5yrs/100K km. But to be honest, I did not research much - just seemed like a good option to buy given the % of the cost increase.

BTW, Mercedes also offers 3yrs unlimited mileage warranty in India.

Last edited by androdev : 8th April 2012 at 21:14.
androdev is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 21:15   #21
BHPian

Congratulations on a FANTASTIC car!

I remember being driven in this once, and with the windows up and the AC and the multimedia playing i for some time forgot i was in a car and was shaken out of my reverie when the driver suddenly braked.

This indeed is quite an upgrade and wishing you many happy kilometers with this road legal tank of a car
ishotmydog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 06:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
II generally wait for the car to be proven before I put my money on it. In that sense, w221 has earned back a lot of respect and trust lost by Mercedes.
You said it androdev. This S Class was instrumental in bringing back the prestige, the respect, the exclusivity and the reputation of tank-like build quality back to Mercedes-Benz. Enjoy the car and the rich ownership experience and keep us posted on the updates so that we people can enjoy your car virtually.
Old 9th April 2012, 09:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on one of the finest cars on the road right now Hope you have all the smiles you desired from this car.

I know you didnt have a great experience with Audi. But did you manage to get a test drive of the new A8 or the A7. I love those 2 cars
Old 9th April 2012, 11:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting the "ultimate in luxury" car, Androdev.

Looks absolutely stunning. Pure luxury. Im sure, you shall be spoilt in that backseat. Heck, its a lazyboy, in place of the seat!

Also, an S Class isnt really a replacement for a Laura LnK . Really now!

Wish you many more safe miles!
Old 9th April 2012, 11:17   #25
dot
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations.

From the outside, new S class looks like a chariot made for gods.

Loved your review and the detailed pictures. The buttons, casings, fit and finish are so flawless. Really worth it. Can anything be any better?

Please keep more pictures and experiences coming.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:47   #26
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Androdev! A majestic white number indeed. Happy to see that the hunt for Laura replacement finally got a grand finale.
And do keep the other thread on BMW 5 alive
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 12:31   #27
BHPian

Congrats on getting the best car in the world, Androdev. The S class commands respect like no other car.
I remember reading a review where it said that the car has so many electronic safety systems that the driver can be clinically dead, but still the car can get itself from Mumbai to Pune

Now for some driving impressions, please.
amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 12:58   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice heartfelt review and great pics of easily the biggest status symbol in India. A Mercedes is a Mercedes! And an S-class too whoa!

I'm sure you are able to put your Skoda accident behind you now. The Audi showroom guys must be kicking themselves- they may have sold you an A8 if they'd been a little more patient and considerate towards your kids!

Keep posting!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 14:02   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The competition may be newer yet, when it comes to comfort, the S-Class is the S-Class. Nothing comes close. That's quite a roller coaster What-Car? thread and I was pleasantly to see an S350 take the place of a Laura. Oh well, you only have one life, so best to live it up!

Congrats on the S, and on reaching that special position in life where you can own one.

Here's a dedication to you & your car:

Didn't you consider the Jaguar XJ-L? After sitting in one, I'm convinced that it matches the S-Class, and comprehensively trumps the 7 Series & A8. It is mindbogglingly flamboyant, inside & out.

Drive safe!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 14:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

@Androdev sir, thankyou for the images, I actually got a new skype image . I took that bonnet (mercedes logo) image straight in as my skype image. Hope you dont mind.

So one more question, how is your Mercedes CONNECT system? Do you also have that option to choose how much will your boot lid open?(like they show in top gear)

Most Viewed