Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 07:18   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Androdev, I'm assuming the S is mostly self-driven. How is it driving it on Bangalore roads with those absolutely maniacal bikers and cabbies - say on a road like Brigade Road or Vittal Mallya Road?
So far so good. it is not such a big problem, you just have to be a little bit careful and give way to others in a rush. It also helps when other drivers on the road feel bad and give way to big cars in really tight spots. Of course, the unpredictable always awaits us on Bangalore roads, just have to accept it :-)
Old 27th May 2013, 22:03   #77
ZMG
BHPian

Sir I have been following your thread closely. Was just curious to know, do you drive or take the s class to work everyday? If not, what else completes your garage? If it's another luxury car, I know it's stupid to ask, but does the s class justify its price in terms of luxury and handling over them?
Old 28th May 2013, 07:44   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
Sir I have been following your thread closely. Was just curious to know, do you drive or take the s class to work everyday? If not, what else completes your garage? If it's another luxury car, I know it's stupid to ask, but does the s class justify its price in terms of luxury and handling over them?
Err.. no 'sir' please. I am not a typical S class owner, everyone think I am a paid driver :-) I don't have any other luxury car so S is my daily driver to work and I drive it myself. I take it everywhere as long as I know there is parking space. I get to drive few luxury cars of friends/family or when i am abroad, etc. so relatively speaking S is special. It's USP is its ride comfort. Let me repeat that again. It's USP is its ride comfort. So if anyone is paying for S, they are paying for the ride comfort. The luxury and handling you mentioned are available in other cars in good measure at lower price points and one doesn't really use all these luxury features and handling all the time. Does it justify the price? Hmmm.. not really. But is there a cheaper car that gives the same package? I guess not. Even the hard-core Mercedes critics have a soft corner for S.
androdev is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 23:25   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Value for money car :-)
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-img_8220.jpg
androdev is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 00:00   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Attachment 1153303
Just completed reading the whole thread yesterday morning and was very eager to see if you have made any further upgrade as the thread got bumped

Testing the Airmatic Suspension ? Why not ? This is what separates Mens from Boys.

Last edited by Otomobil : 16th October 2013 at 00:18.
Old 16th October 2013, 00:01   #81
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1153303
I hope the image posted is a photoshopped one, if not i am shocked

I would think twice to take my Fiesta down the road and you took a S Class. You got real guts
Old 16th October 2013, 11:51   #82
BHPian

Quote:
It's USP is its ride comfort.
I still remember my first ride in an S , sublime remember being totally disconnected from the road almost like travelling in a boat. Something to remember
Old 18th October 2013, 12:07   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Seriously? Dude that's an S-class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post

I would think twice to take my Fiesta down the road and you took a S Class. You got real guts
There are Fortuner owners I know who refuse to take their beasts offroading because they prize them so much

@Androdev- having owned this baby for a while now, can you provide some insight into the ownership experience? Any glitches or recurring issues? How's the service experience for an S-class owner? Would really love to know!
Old 18th October 2013, 13:04   #84
Team-BHP Support

Why not, its a Mercedes! Many of these cars do duty in places off the beaten track like South Africa, Eastern Europe, Albania etc.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 14:24   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I hope the image posted is a photoshopped one, if not i am shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
. Seriously? Dude that's an S-class!

There are Fortuner owners I know who refuse to take their beasts offroading because they prize them so much
Yes that's a on the S-class, but, not trying such roads on T-Fort or Fiesta is babying your cars too much. My car daily drives for almost 5 kms of bad to no roads (equivalent to soft off-roading as there are big humps shallow water bodies in few sections). No doubt a much powerful car like S-class will be driven on the kind of off road @androdev has posted (lot better than what I drive) in much easily & yet the occupants will be in n-times more comfort.

However, @androdev I believe it's only once in a moon that you drive such (no) roads, unless you are too adventurous or on a high.
Old 18th October 2013, 15:46   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

I have done a lot of travel in South India mostly on obscure roads without prior knowledge of road conditions. I would say this S class is no less competent than an Innova in tackling our terrain.

I posted the above picture because I thought it has beautiful contrast (terrible roads, lush greenery and the three-pointed star). What can be more treacherous than our own Bangalore roads during a heavy rain?

Some roads though not as dramatic as the previous one:
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-roads-3.jpg

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-roads-2.jpg

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-roads-1.jpg

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-roads-4.jpg

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz - W221 S350 initial ownership review-roads-5.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@Androdev- having owned this baby for a while now, can you provide some insight into the ownership experience? Any glitches or recurring issues? How's the service experience for an S-class owner? Would really love to know!
It has been a trouble free ownership so far, not even a flat tire. Basically nothing interesting to share, touch wood! Service costs: not much to share. Just had 1yr/10K km service in April which came to maybe 25K or so which was routine oil/filter change. As with most cars, first 3-4 years are very easy on the pocket.
androdev is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 15:52   #87
Team-BHP Support

Questions! Thanks to the width & 5+ metres length of your car -

1) Do you have to avoid narrow bylanes/residential areas of Bangalore, and stick to the "main roads"/ring road most of the time?

2) Is parking in malls, where parking space is always at a premium, a big issue?
Old 18th October 2013, 17:42   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It has been a trouble free ownership so far, not even a flat tire. Basically nothing interesting to share, touch wood! Service costs: not much to share. Just had 1yr/10K km service in April which came to maybe 25K or so which was routine oil/filter change. As with most cars, first 3-4 years are very easy on the pocket.
Nice to know that the big Merc's been reliable as well. With so many gizmos on board that's quite a quite a feat.

25K for regular service is super economical considering the segment.

You tank up with regular 91 octane? What is the recommended octane rating for fuel? You feel any difference with 97 octane? Sorry if you have answered these questions in your earlier posts.
Old 18th October 2013, 18:00   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Questions! Thanks to the width & 5+ metres length of your car -

1) Do you have to avoid narrow bylanes/residential areas of Bangalore, and stick to the "main roads"/ring road most of the time?

2) Is parking in malls, where parking space is always at a premium, a big issue?
Parking is certainly an issue. If you notice most malls allow big cars to park in plain area instead of those "slots". I usually don't take it to places where parking could be an issue. It can handle narrow lanes without any issues, in fact these days pretty much all Bangalore residential roads are quite narrow with both sides taken up by parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Nice to know that the big Merc's been reliable as well. With so many gizmos on board that's quite a quite a feat.

25K for regular service is super economical considering the segment.

You tank up with regular 91 octane? What is the recommended octane rating for fuel? You feel any difference with 97 octane? Sorry if you have answered these questions in your earlier posts.
I fill regular petrol. There is no turbo here so not sure if I should spend any more money on petrol, it has 90L tank ;-) I have filled it up at small town petrol stations during my trips so it is not fussy about fuel.
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 10:28   #90

Quote:

Fridge takes up decent boot space.
Attachment 912816

Fire extinguisher under the driver's seat:
Attachment 912819

USB port, remove holder strap, video AUX-IN port in the front glove box
Attachment 912820
Great post. A few questions.

1) How do you like the fridge? I think it's very cool, but here in the USA it's not even an option. Would love to add one if a used one ever pops up.

2) What is that felt looking holder attached to the top of the glove box for? I have that, and can't figure out what it's for. Also, the videos rca's aren't present on 2010-2013 USA models for some reason, but were on 07-09.

3) 2010-2013 Usa models now have the stowage bins removed! They no longer open, but 07-09 USA models had them, strange...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks