Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 13:46   #46
BHPian

Re: Life starts at 75,000 KM Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi

Hi ICE..nice narration regarding your Octavia.

Skoda service is one of the main reason people shun away from Skoda cars in general. But i feel now the service has improved in the last year or so.

One fact is a curiosity though..Skoda Octavia pre-owned cars are sold at say even 1/3 rd of its original price after usage of few years. From the thread you posted,apart from the ABS issue, Octavia doesn't appear to be costly to maintain. Then why do you think the second hand Octavia's are not received well by the market ?
Old 26th June 2012, 23:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo car
why do you think the second hand Octavia's are not received well by the market ?
One of the reasons could be that the Octy is now discontinued. Many prospective owners may stay away fearing spares availability in the long run and high maintenance.
Old 25th July 2012, 12:16   #48
Ice
BHPian

Update : 1,20,000

Octy is trundling along without a hitch. My only complaint has been excessive vibration whenever I fire her up. I had it checked out at South Motors, fearing an expensive engine mounting/self-motor bedding change, but came away with a lighter heart and a smile.

The problem has been diagnosed as excessive vibration in the second section of the exhaust system. It's the section of pipe that exits the protective embrace of the bottom impact shield. Age has caught up with it, and like the shaky hand of an octogenarian, it rattles a bit when the self-starter gets the engine going. The actual vibration remains during normal running as well. This section of pipe rubs against the heat shield shrouding it. Not a serious problem at all - just an irritating one. The only solution is to change that section of pipe (~Rs.2800 + Labor) and the heat shield (Rs.7000 + Labour). I might consider changing it during the 140,000 km. service + clutch replacement + timing belt change. I'll be selling a kidney and my first-born to spring for that job in any case. Marketing secret : bundle costs to make a stronger, one-time sell (in this case, to myself).

Will post some pictures soon!
Old 25th November 2012, 17:45   #49
BHPian

[*]Kwikk Fitt Motors - Bosch Service Station (Chennai) : I was in Chennai through the month of March 2012, and experienced a lot of vibration in my seat and through the steering wheel on a highway drive. Ruling out wheel balancing errors because of the recent tyre change, I desperately took the car to KF based on a recommendation from a friend of mine who owns a tyre store in Chennai (he's on Team BHP : TyreStore). The proprietor, Mr. Veeraraj Kumar, seemed to know his work, and mounted the car on the ramp for a closer inspection. He ruled out any issues with the suspension or the wheel bearings, and asked for a day to investigate deeper. He isolated the issue that night - the gearbox oil was of a water-like consistency, ruining multiple bearings and the synchronizer set. The water/oil had then seeped through the grease packing into the drive shaft boots and generally made a nuisance of itself. He changed the synchro, replenished the gearbox oil, and replaced the drive shaft boots. She drives like a dream, now. The gear engagement is now very positive, almost like new, with no vibrations whatsoever. This guy is good and knows his stuff. I now know where to get the Octy serviced when I'm in Chennai. He specializes in Octys - let me know if you need an introduction.[/list]That's all I have for now. I promise to keep this thread updated regularly. I will be posting pictures of her very shortly.[/quote]

Hi . i have been scouting for a used octy at chennai and would like to use services of this person to check the car out. can you share contacts with me. Thanks. Sathya
Old 26th November 2012, 11:19   #50
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psathya View Post

Hi . i have been scouting for a used octy at chennai and would like to use services of this person to check the car out. can you share contacts with me. Thanks. Sathya
PM'd you his contact details.
Old 26th November 2012, 16:12   #51
BHPian

Hi Ice. Thanks for input.

Saw a 2005 octavia rider automatic with 75 k on the odo. Car interiors were not good with the roof lining hanging down. But the engine fired up and sounded sweet. Coulnt test drive it as it was gridlocked. Plan to do so tomorrow. The owner is asking for 6.25

Any takes on the auto

Cheers

Sathya
Old 13th December 2012, 15:51   #52
BHPian

Was V belt changed as regular maintenance or the tensioner was broken ?

If the tension damaper was broken then please replace the Alternator Freewheel Pulley also, else history will repeat.

Last edited by 007 : 13th December 2012 at 15:52.
Old 26th December 2012, 11:06   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ice. Thanks for input.

Saw a 2005 octavia rider automatic with 75 k on the odo. Plan to do so tomorrow. The owner is asking for 6.25

Any takes on the auto

Cheers

Sathya
Hi Sathya,
Did you get to drive the auto Octavia ? I have been told that it is quite sluggish. I remember having driven a similar car in 2008 and found that it was ok for city driving. I too am looking out for a diesel octavia (preferably automatic) as a second car.
Old 26th December 2012, 22:51   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Hi Sathya,
Did you get to drive the auto Octavia ? I have been told that it is quite sluggish. I remember having driven a similar car in 2008 and found that it was ok for city driving. I too am looking out for a diesel octavia (preferably automatic) as a second car.
Hi Paul. I did not. have been busy travelling and haven't found the time to check out anything. Hope the new year brings luck. :-)

I am based in Chennai are you too.

Sathya
Old 27th December 2012, 09:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
I am based in Chennai are you too.

Sathya
Well i am put up in Pune. Pl. try to take out time to drive (Live to Drive) 6.25 L seems too high for a 2005 car. But if the autogears work well then you should try to push the price down to 5 L. The cheapest petrol auto, the Astar sells for about 5 L and the cheapest diesel the Verna should be about 11 L so no harm in taking a test drive !
Old 27th December 2012, 10:14   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
Hi Sathya,
I own a diesel octavia automatic, and in my opinion it is not at all sluggish. Infact I have found especially at starting from the signal, if I floor the pedal down I take off the fastest. It also reaches high speeds very easily I have done a max of 150kmph on it (does not seem to be able to go beyond that). The gear box itself is pretty slick -operates with what Skoda calls fuzzy logic, if you are light on the pedal, then the gear changes at around 1800-2k RPM, and as you push it varies from 3K to even redlining before changing.

The only complaint I have is that its a 4 speed box - which is really upsetting if you are on the highway, but in city it is just fine!
an_and is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 10:55   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the FE you get with this 4 speed automatic?
This one is the regular torque convertor type and not a dual clutch, I think(?)
Any reliability issues with it?
Old 27th December 2012, 11:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

When buying spares at Coimbatore, i saw one guy buying the 'head lamp wash spray motor assembly' and he was left shocked when he was told that the part costs 1100+. It had a 'imported from Germany' tag.
Old 27th December 2012, 12:58   #59
BHPian

[quote=an_and;3000576]I own a diesel octavia automatic, and in my opinion it is not at all sluggish.

Hi An_and,
Thats great news. I am on the look out for a preowned auto diesel Octavia to replace or complement my 1.8TPI. Starting June 2013 my company is moving out of Pune which means that i will have to travel 80 km/day instead of the paltry 20 km which i do now.

I guess your car is also preowned. Any ideas on how to locate one in Mumbai/Pune ? Also have you had to spend on servicing the auto box/oil etc ?

Last edited by rxpaul : 27th December 2012 at 13:07.
Old 27th December 2012, 14:45   #60
BHPian

Yes mine is also a preowned car. I was fortunate enough to get a very well maintained car which I believe is now better maintained. :-). I have read horror stories of the transmission fuel and I plan to get the same changed soon. Unfortunately this cannot be done by an independent garage and I have to rely on their *** to do this. The quote for the same is at around 17k. But apart from that this car seems to be built to last.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks