Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2017, 17:09   #631
BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

The 18.8 kmpl figure in the first pic is interesting because this was through Bangalore outer ring road from HSR layout to Hebbal. I'm used to seeing much lesser figures, in Bangalore where traffic is not less even on Saturday late evenings.

Could be positive effect of Liqui Moli.
That's good mileage, what is the average speed? and any improvement in diesel clatter/NVH.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 11:31   #632
Team-BHP Support

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
That's good mileage, what is the average speed? and any improvement in diesel clatter/NVH.
Completed the tankful with the additive and filled regular Shell Diesel.

Mileage improvement I really can't commit. Because I just realized that the FE for the trip meter over the entire tankful cycle was less than the average FE result of the other trip meter which I haven't reset for a long while. However -

That could be because I've been really using the mid-range a lot in the past few days. The additive has clearly taken the roughness out of the engine note heard inside the cabin, and the engine feels younger to revv. I'm not sure about sound reduction, but it does feel like a bit younger engine through the mid range.

Will use it once in a while for sure, mostly one tankful after every service. Might even try Shell VPower Diesel next after some 5000kms which claims similar cleaning effects.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 23:36   #633
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Completed the tankful with the additive and filled regular Shell Diesel.
Time for the next tankful, and for trying something new -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_20170620_233502.jpg
Old 26th June 2017, 15:45   #634
BHPian

Quote:
Proklear Rain Repellant Nano Glass Shield Coating -

Overall, I feel its a VFM product and definitely worth recommending as a small DIY.

Based on your recommendation did this Proklear NGS treatment on Saturday. Got it from Amazon for Rs 500.
Could see huge difference in glass clarity after cleaning with the pre-cleaner and happy to say I am completely satisfied with the final output.

Haven’t driven at night so not sure about the claimed anti-glare advantage but definitely an excellent water repellent, a big plus for this rainy season.

What is your feedback on the longevity? they claim it easily lasts a year.
Old 27th June 2017, 20:59   #635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Time for the next tankful, and for trying something new -
Didn't feel any difference. Not even imaginary that I would have felt in the case of the fuel additive used during the last tankful.

NOT going to use Shell VPower. Regular should do just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
What is your feedback on the longevity? they claim it easily lasts a year.
No. It won't last as much. A month of very heavy usage, and a couple of more months otherwise, in my experince. But then the costs are around 1/10th that of the amount charged by most reputed detailing shops.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 01:52   #636
Team-BHP Support

Two random pics of the old Italian lady, taken today -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170708153939_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170708164747_800.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 08:42   #637
Senior - BHPian

Despite being a decade old design, the old lady still looks chic!!

If only something could be done for the interiors. How are you guys managing the service? Still go to the Authorised service centers?
Old 9th July 2017, 11:56   #638
BHPian

Quote:
Two random pics of the old Italian lady, taken today -

Attachment 1655387[/center]
You are giving some serious cleanliness goals.

How do you maintain the oem fabric of seats? Are you able to use these steering buttons with this new ice?

Last edited by saurabh041086 : 9th July 2017 at 11:57.
Old 10th July 2017, 10:50   #639
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
If only something could be done for the interiors.
Starting with that ill-fitted glovebox. I can absolutely live with it otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
How are you guys managing the service? Still go to the Authorised service centers?
By finding out the best center for the job within a 250 km (one way) radius for all major jobs.

Manageable for me as long as the car remains reliable. I'm anyways the kind of guy who will sit in the service center the whole day while they are doing the work. Which means a day is wasted, no matter how far/near the center is!
Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh041086 View Post
You are giving some serious cleanliness goals.
And I'm totally feeling ashamed of my cleanliness habits after seeing this thread -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...i-cedia-4.html

Quote:
How do you maintain the oem fabric of seats?
First of all, the car is never driven with the windows open. That helps, a lot!

Otherwise, only one major interior clean work was done except the occasional vacuum cleaner sessions. At 60k kms, I had given the car for 3M germiclean treatment and they did a very good job.

Now the time has come for another round of cleaning. Haven't decided whether to use 3M services again, or to try out Meguairs Fabric seat cleaner (which looks easy in their YouTube videos).

Quote:
Are you able to use these steering buttons with this new ice?
No. Those are just dummy buttons now.

But yes. It is possible to integrate them with the headunit. I believe the console costs about 2k for Pioneer, but is very expensive for Clarion and I was qouted some 6k!

However, I preferred not to spend money there because it's far more easier to change tracks from the mobile touch screen itself. And volume can be easily controlled with the rotary dial in the head unit.

Phone mounted as below -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_3899_800.jpg

Also, as per the app I use (JetAudio Plus), I don't need to look at the screen to find the buttons to change tracks - just a casual swipe horizontal anywhere from right to left changes to next track and vice versa. Thus avoiding distraction and the need to take eyes off the road.
Old 7th August 2017, 21:08   #640
Team-BHP Support

Its been 3.5 years and almost 90k kms of usage ever since this key chain was gifted by the moderators during the Team Bhp meet, back in Feb 2014.

Needless to say, the key chain had lost all its glory in terms of colours and had turned brown with usage. The rubber was still perfect though.

Spent some time cleaning it back to its good old self. Can't think of a better key chain for my Punto. Really happy long term user -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_20170807_195640.jpg

Versys gets the "Got Bhp?" key chain.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th August 2017 at 21:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th August 2017, 06:41   #641
Team-BHP Support

Continental MC5-

Have been using Continental MC5 since the last 50k kms. Tyre shop says that they have a good 10 - 15k kms life left in them.

Surprised since these tyres have been the softest I've used till date, and my previous sets (Stock Goodyears - 50k kms and Yoko Decibels - 48k kms) have all lasted much less!

Meanwhile, got the fourth puncture with this set, all thanks to the road leading to my apartment being under construction, and with a very hard working tyre repair shop nearby -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-screenshot_2017081406391342.png
Old 17th August 2017, 11:33   #642
Team-BHP Support

Back from another ~1500 km trip to Trivandrum over the extended weekend. As India celebrated the nation's Independence day, glad I could do what I love the most - drive almost 14 hours through beautiful well laid out roads.

Onward journey - Ergonomics! Back Pain!

The onward journey was pretty uneventful and rather painful! Started by 4PM from, picked up wife from her office at 5PM and as expected - the traffic out of the city was horrible due to the extended weekend. Lost a lot of time at all the major toll plazas till Salem! However, I was already mentally prepared to drive all night and even informed parents that we would reach only by early morning. It didn't help that Nagercoil - Trivandrum section was under heavy repair and construction work.

Coffee Break at Kovilpatti CCD!

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170812034324b_800.jpg

What I couldn't prepare for - was the effect of such a long drive on the aging body! For the first time since the car ownership, a long drive took its toll on the body and I ended up with acute lower back pain by the time we reached Trivandrum. Probably the seating position is to be blamed, since I never found the lower back support lacking in the Punto, though it has its share of ergonomic issues including extremely poor under-thigh support. Or perhaps - need to blame the lack of breaks - for I took only two stops - One for dinner at Dharmagiri, and the next for coffee at Kovilpatti.

Took two full days to recover from the drive. Need to maintain better fitness standards - can't let backpain get in the way of my drives / rides.

Return journey was much better though!

Avoiding Nagercoil!
Trivandrum - Thenmala - Senkottai - Rajapalayam - Madurai.

Wonder why I never tried this route - since it starts from the north side of Trivandrum and is quite a natural escape route from my home. But quite frankly - I never knew the roads were in such a good condition and the time taken would be similar as that of the Nagercoil highway, untill BHP'ian 'arun_josie' pointed it out in his thread.

The route!
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-untitled1.jpg

Very thankful to his suggestion as the road in itself was brilliant, as the pics below would suggest. As of now - with the Marthandam section being under construction, it makes a lot more sense to take this route instead.

It all started with beautiful hill sections inside Kerala. The entire drive from Trivandrum till Senkottai was so full of flowing corners!
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170815112816b_800.jpg

Not to mention - lush greenery all around.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170815113542b_800.jpg

And some beautiful man-made structures to add to the scenery.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170815114420c_800.jpg

To the valleys with well laid out roads allowing to pick up the pace.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170815120759b_800.jpg

To the fast and empty two lane TN highways.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170815130723b_800.jpg

Back on familar expressways by evening.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170815171723b_800.jpg

Extended Weekend Traffic - Fastag?

Started the return journey by 10 AM and reached MG Road in Bangalore by 10:45 PM. Not bad considering the timings, but as expected during such holiday weekends, the traffic was horrible near the toll plazas.

Would Fastag help? Not sure since the queues were too long for it to matter. My cousin who was driving down from the Coimbatore side parallelly with a fastag in hand was not able to achieve any significant advantage in pace at both these toll plazas - namely Krishnagiri and Attibele. Probably this post belongs in the thread that says it is illegal for toll plazas to collect amounts if the wait exceeds 3 minutes! Forget 3 minutes - for here the situation was more like 30 minutes instead!

The highlighted signboard read - "Toll - 1 km"!
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20170815203723_800.jpg

Needless to say - I would be sticking to the Thenkasi route going forward. But only one concern remains - Is it safe to take this route after nightfall?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 12:03   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But only one concern remains - Is it safe to take this route after nightfall?
I have done this route at night (around 2 am) on a two wheeler, found it safe. Only concern is no shops/hotels open in case you are hungry or you have a puncture to fix.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 12:55   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it safe to take this route after nightfall?
An evening-sundown drive of Tenkasi-Tirumangalam is not recommended. It sees heavy traffic resulting in average speeds in the order of 30 kmph. Keep options like Tenkasi-Tirunelveli or Puliyangudi-Kazhugumalai-Sankarankoil-Kovilpatti or Srivilliputtur-Sivakasi-Virudhunagar will help cause in case traffic goes bad.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 13:34   #645
Team-BHP Support

c_d

Any chance that the new bike is causing you back trouble ?
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks