Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2016, 08:36   #541
Senior - BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
samsan02 - AC condensation ruining the Blue&Me unit is a known problem in FIATs. There was a recommendation from Fiat ( read about it in the TFI forums ) for a Butyl Pad to protect the unit from AC condensation. Not sure if all ASCs are even aware of it or if customers were informed. I wasn't informed about it by the ASC although mine has been running well so far.

EDIT : Relevant thread on TFI : http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/buty...-upgrade.3091/
The car in question, is it a pre 2011 made car?

If so, that could be the case. My car manufactured in feb 2011 has the butyl strip, I had it checked after delivery.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 09:27   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Finally, I was able to open up the Blue & Me unit.I discovered was the integrated circuit inside has gone dead due to some kind of moisture seeping
Since you've given the unit up for dead , why don't you try cleaning the PCB with a mild paint brush and Isopropyl alcohol? It might come back to life.
Old 26th June 2016, 11:26   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, I was able to get hold of a screw driver with a T25 bit to open up the Blue & Me unit.Upon further investigation by having a look at the unit what I discovered was the integrated circuit inside has gone dead due to some kind of moisture seeping in thru the plastic casing. Refer to pictures below, My guess is that the AC moisture might have spoiled the same. This is a design flaw, and is totally unacceptable. Its an electronic equipment which has to be secured properly.
Even if replacing a new unit for 13K, don't know how long it will last. I will contact Fiat and see what they have to say.
Hi Samsan,
I had the same problem three or four years into ownership. I wrote an email to FIAT saying my car had not been retrofitted with the strip to prevent ac moisture, and fiat agreed to replace it. You can quote my case if you want. I do remember writing about it somewhere.

I also approached multiple electrical engineers in markets of Delhi but no one was able to fix the problem. Replacement is the only option.

Last edited by sukrit7 : 26th June 2016 at 11:28.
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 12:13   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Hi Samsan,
I had the same problem three or four years into ownership. I wrote an email to FIAT saying my car had not been retrofitted with the strip to prevent ac moisture, and fiat agreed to replace it. You can quote my case if you want. I do remember writing about it somewhere.
Thanks Sukrit7,
Appreciate yours Inputs, could you send me details in a private message. You can forward the email if you have it with you.I will share my email iD there.

Also I will send email and see what they have to say.

Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 12:21   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It's a shame really that they did not perform a recall for this defect.

Surprisingly I haven't missed the 'blue&me' unit ever since I changed the HU though. It's a lot more than a normal Bluetooth module, but most of the Bluetooth enabled players these days handle the basic functions really well, plus they sound a lot better than what the stock FIAT head unit does.
Thanks,
Well, I have been using Blue &Me mostly for playing USB songs and navigating using steering controls. And this is due to the constant demand for music from my Kid . Now I don't want to replace the B&M unit paying 13K. I can survive without the calling feature, but need a USB means to play mp3.

I am novice in this area, So can I fit a USB to the existing HU or I have to go for a new HU. In that case I would rather go for a HU with USB than for B&M again and risking the situation to reoccur later. Too Confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The car in question, is it a pre 2011 made car?

If so, that could be the case. My car manufactured in feb 2011 has the butyl strip, I had it checked after delivery.
Yes, Got it in Nov 2009, It was fine until Feb this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Since you've given the unit up for dead , why don't you try cleaning the PCB with a mild paint brush and Isopropyl alcohol? It might come back to life.
Yes, Thats my last resort, I already tried with just cleaning with a brush, but no success.

Last edited by samsan02 : 27th June 2016 at 12:25.
Old 28th June 2016, 23:18   #546
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So can I fit a USB to the existing HU or I have to go for a new HU. In that case I would rather go for a HU with USB than for B&M again and risking the situation to reoccur later.
You can easily get a new head unit with Bluetooth for the price of the blue and Me unit. But you will loose the steering mounted controls, unless you purchase the adapter as well.

PS- The odometer will keep flashing though!
Old 6th July 2016, 19:33   #547
Team-BHP Support

After seeing this (link below) mobile holder in member Nkrishnap's car, went ahead and ordered it and fixed it today. By far, the most unobtrusive mobile holder I've come across and first impressions are very positive. It holds my 5.5 inch Oppo F1 plus smartphone without a shake.

http://www.amazon.in/QBZ-Accessories...3-c8097579f219

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20160705173017.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 11:23   #548
Team-BHP Support

Some better quality pictures of the mobile holder attached below. After using this product for a few days, I am loving the way it is absolutely discreet when not in use, and helps me position the mobile almost like a stock touchscreen HU and holds it firmly when in use.

BHP'ian nkrishnap has mounted it higher above the a/c vents as per his preference and its been holding up well in his car too.

Holder looks discreet and unobtrusive when not in use. Center part is the magnet and the four hands are just for holding the mobile in position. Device is held by 3M tapes which need to be applied with the 3M primer they provide.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_3904_800.jpg

Dashboard various angles during daytime -
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_3899_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_3900_800.jpg

And night time -
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_3896_800.jpg

Doesn't stick out of the dashboard too much!
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_3903_800.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th July 2016 at 11:27.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 12:39   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some better quality pictures of the mobile holder attached below. After using this product for a few days, I am loving the way it is absolutely discreet when not in use, and helps me position the mobile almost like a stock touchscreen HU and holds it firmly when in use.
Does it rattle when on rough roads? I had purchased a magnetic mobile holder for my Punto too. Pls see the attached photo.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_0557-large.jpg

But it does not hold my phone (one plus one) firmly enough. On rough roads it starts moving around.
The device is stuck with the 3M tapes and I have not removed it (even though I no longer use it to hold my phone) as I am worried it will leave residue.

Almost tempted to try the one you have bought.

Last edited by vibbs : 12th July 2016 at 12:40.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 12:43   #550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Does it rattle when on rough roads?
Still early days for me, although I'm aware of few other people also using the same holder for a longer period. As of now, it does seem to be holding the mobile in place with a strong grip.

Will update after covering some more miles.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 11:21   #551
Team-BHP Support

1,23,456 kms. A small milestone update.

Going back to Kerala for a week, and not taking the car this time around. So she will be parked with this magical figure for a week.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img20160714042017_1.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th July 2016 at 11:35.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 12:56   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1,23,456 kms. A small milestone update.
CD,

Congrats on reaching that unique figure on the odo. Still not thinking of an upgrade? Hmmm. There must be something magical about the car then.

Regarding the mobile holding arrangement, doesn't the AC controls gets blocked? Can u still switch on the fan after the mobile is in place?
Old 14th July 2016, 16:22   #553
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
CD,

Congrats on reaching that unique figure on the odo. Still not thinking of an upgrade? Hmmm. There must be something magical about the car then.
Not as long as the car continues to be reliable. I feel S Cross 1.6 is the best options for an upgrade, but it doesn't feel with spending another 13L over and above the exchange value of the Punto- the only main advantage with the SCross being the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Regarding the mobile holding arrangement, doesn't the AC controls gets blocked? Can u still switch on the fan after the mobile is in place?
Two buttons and the screen are blocked. The button for ac circulation to the windscreen and the one to switch off ac. Both options are very rarely used. And I usually set ac before the trip starts and it's at 23.5 degrees constant. So the screen can be sacrificed as well.

For someone who plays around with the ac controls a lot, this arrangement might not be as convenient.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 14:51   #554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So she will be parked with this magical figure for a week.
Came back from vacation and cleaned the car using rinseless wash, only to realize later that the battery has gone dead. Had to take the scooter to office yesterday.

Since the current Amaron battery is about 2 years and 47k kms old, and is not likely to have died due to its own issues, got a mechanic to jump start it. Looking fine now. Need to monitor further.

Anyways, some random pics taken with the mobile after the Rinseless wash done yesterday-

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_20160721_144526.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_20160721_144622.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2016, 15:08   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Not as long as the car continues to be reliable. I feel S Cross 1.6 is the best options for an upgrade, but it doesn't feel with spending another 13L over and above the exchange value of the Punto- the only main advantage with the SCross being the engine.
Valid point about the 1.6 L MJD. The car definitely seems be very well kept from the pics posted above.
Enjoy the time with your car .

Cheers,
pradeep.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed