Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 17:27   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
@crazy driver: You might be knowing, that there is already a 110hp remapped Punto vgt around - any thoughts on making yours the second one with 110hp?
I like it alloys too

Good review. Did I miss or you forgot to comment about the stock tyres? Are they good or would you suggest a upgrade.

Check this too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...to-sporte.html

Last edited by jkdas : 30th April 2012 at 17:31.
Old 30th April 2012, 17:45   #47
BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Crazy driver, Atlast now I am convinced that I am not really mad. I have been explaining the same perceptions about owning a Punto to most people who enquire about the machine. But most times, I was dismissed as a crazy fiat fan and that I am out of my mind. This has happened multiple times that I have stopped raving about the car to anybody.

That was one smashing review and I am sure most people who own a Punto will agree with your ownership experience. Enjoy many more happy miles with your Punto.
Old 30th April 2012, 17:48   #48
BHPian

Hi crazydriver.

Many many congratulations for your passionate buy.

And loads of applaud for such a passionate review.

You are indeed a true lover, my dear friend, and congratulations to you for that feat.

Keep it coming.

Five star material indeed.
Old 30th April 2012, 18:02   #49
Senior - BHPian

Nice review and an inimitable presentation style complimenting a stylish car. Read it in one go.Waiting for more events and experience to come along.

Last edited by rajeev k : 30th April 2012 at 18:04.
Old 30th April 2012, 18:08   #50
BHPian

Excellent review, enjoyed reading every bit of it. The opening dialogue with the 12 year old is a killer. It is mind boggling that the 12 year old's know better these days.
Old 30th April 2012, 18:16   #51
BHPian

I know am late, but, better late than never. Congratulations on your GP 90HP and wish you a very happy and prosperous married life.

Loved the way you've written the review!!

I agree with what you have got to say about the Blue Lady, but suggest you use the steering mounted controls. It's a breeze to use them and note that the folder browsing speed has also been increased in the new version of Blue&Me. Not sure whether your car has the latest version.

AFAIK, the turning radius of the GP 2012 was decreased by 0.1m. IIRC it was 5.1m earlier and is 5.0m on the GP 2012. (5.4m as mentioned in some of the above comments must be for Linea). Correct me if I am wrong here guys.

Punto is indeed a bliss on the highway! I have driven 10500 of my 11000km on the highways and I would vouch for this anytime!!

Coming to thinking about changing the stock tires, I feel they do their job very well and unless you are very much bent upon having a 205 or an R16 they fit the bill!

Wish you thousands of happy miles that you and GP are gonna crunch!
Drive safe!!
Old 30th April 2012, 21:27   #52
MCR
BHPian

Very nice review crazy driver. Congratulations on buying a fantastic car!
When I bought my Punto in 2009, the first thing my uncle told me was that I had wasted 7 lakhs. He was speaking from his experience with Premier Padmini.
I have covered 40K kms till date. But the car has not let me down.
Yes, there have been issues with the car. But they are not anything major. I have had the loose link rod problem thrice now! The first time I had was when the car was around 10K kms old. The latest one is as late as 38K kms. Yes, there is rattle from the left front door which is not going away easily, or better I think its there to stay!
I still have an issue with the rear nozzle. The same which one of our member, Driving nomad has! But the service center (URS KAR Service, Mysore) is not solving this issue, inspite of complaining since last 10 months! I am glad that the same service station has fixed the issue on Driving Nomad's car.
Its a fantastic car, no doubt!

For me the major factor at play are the fantastic and confidence inspiring brakes! Its the biggest positive for Punto. And yes, Fiat considers all its customers same. Thank god, they did not install mediocre brakes in the lower variants of the car. Which Maruti has been consistently doing with Swift!

Last edited by MCR : 30th April 2012 at 21:29.
Old 30th April 2012, 21:54   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That is one heck of a review, thanks for sharing.

One of my friend booked a ZDi on 20th March and the Car has arrived, would be taking delivery in a day or two. Shall post an impression.

GP is in another league though I love my Figo for what it offers costing ~1L less
Figo is certainly on the best VFM cars out there. The way it manages to do most things well - at a much cheaper price point is just amazing. It rides well, handles well, has good driveability, FE and space. Infact, I went to the showroom with a prejudice that 68 bhp can only be underpowered - but the car was a pleasant surprise within the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Carzy Driver,

If you need more power you should seriously consider adding a Tuning Box. The engine will surely open up after 5k kms and maybe you can add one after 10k kms.

In one of the FIAT meets here in Bangalore I got to drive an FGT Punto with a Race Dynamics box and the torque was insane and the Car was pulling like a locomotive. In the P2 mode it literally flew.

I drove the VGT Punto too within few mins but the FGT with the box was surely thrilling and more fun to drive than the stock VGT. RD box comes with a remote too and you can change modes on the fly.

I'm thinking about getting the RD Box/Racechip installed on my Palio. Racehip I heard is pretty good and is a cheaper option compared to the RD Box.
How about VGT Punto with the box? Thats tempting, right? 100 bhp is/was a very worshipped bhp figure in India - and it sounds really tempting for me too.
Certainly one of the upgrades planned. But - not within a year or ownership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Belated Congrats on the Car. Fantastic write up. A good half an hour gone during office hours, but no regrests :-).

Looks like the FIAT bug has bit you. A well deserved 5* rating for this thread. Keep em updated.
Thank you. I spent a good amount of time browsing team-bhp at office too, but since i log-in using the android app - dont post that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I used to be happy driving my father's Wagon-R before I bought my Punto. Now I try to avoid driving it as much as possible. It's not just the steering, but the overall sense of security I get while sitting in the Punto.
There is a fun side to the WagonR too, though. It feels like an angry little puppy, when you suddenly shift wheels from the Punto. Small, lightweight, with good visibility, very agile (Not around corners though) and surprisingly powerful (without the turbo lag). Just like you would ride an Activa in city traffic - point to a gap and shoot through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
Crazy Driver congratulations for the beast and best hatch back available in India.
If you have got anything to know.about the RD tuning chip do let me know
- have already clocked 20k with the chip and its worth the money.
Wow! I missed that till now!

Have you got the chip which has the remote? How different does it feel from the stock car in P1 mode? Is the difference only felt at higher rpms/ does it make a difference in city driving as well?
Old 30th April 2012, 22:28   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Sorry for joining in late, Congrats for the car!! That's one nicely detailed report, thanks for putting in so much effort to compile it.

I own a first batch Punto, my car has done crossed 50,000 kms mark this month. The car has held well despite being used on bad roads most of the time, only issue on bad roads are the rims which get bent easily and are expensive to replace through authorized dealers. Sadly i do not get to drive this car much.

90hp version makes sense only if you frequently cross the 3000rpm barrier, beyond which the 75hp version goes dead, but before 3000rpm both engines have similar power delivery and performance.

Keep us updated!
Thank you. Nothing compared to the official reviews you guys consistently pen down. But yes - I had been waiting for this - for a very long time. WagonR was always considered a breadbox by many - and a review on it would have gone unnoticed by the majority.

90HP makes a difference at higher rpms, but unfortunately - our overdrive gear is also designed to make it spin at higher rpms, at expressway speeds. 3000rpm is just 120 kmph. (In the Swift, its around 2600rpm IIRC). But yes- the 15 bhp difference is not at all felt, inside city limits.

Infact - could not even get a TD of the 90HP before booking the car. I drove the 75bhp, read properly about the 90HP - and since budget was not a major limiting factor and 90HP was atleast marginally better than the 75 - went ahead with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Hey buddy, yeah, as a matter of fact I do. I bought a Feb make 75 HP Emotion for 7.75 L INR, post budget price though the car was billed to the dealer before the budget. I got a good list of freebies though.

And damn, these 2012 Puntos rattle! Take the car to the workshop, VST Mount road was good, they will open up the door pad and tighten few nuts. Check if any of the door pad plastic locks are broken, it can happen with morons installing sun-film at the dealer's place.

Punto is pure bliss on the highway. And yeah, I even play the guess speed trick with my co-passengers.

Very true on the mileage part, for one, diesels begin to operate with maximum efficiency only after say 5kms of driving, I commute something around that figure one way, plus it is in peak traffic (Interior Chennai).

We will meet up for a photo-shoot, if time permits for both of us.
So, did they fix those rattles?

Defenitly looking forward to that photoshoot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
This is the one of the most amazing, unbiased and in-depth review of the Punto I have seen in this forum. Kudos and congrats mate.

Your white beauty looks AMAZING.

You dont need to do all this. Just say 'Folders' and use steering controls to change folders.

Or simply just use the steering controls.

This was a good one!
I tried saying folders, but she just wouldn't listen! Tried several times! Even the book shows this way of menus and submenus. Can anyone with the 2012 Punto confirm? DRIV3R, may be?

And its not a problem with the accent, because it doesnt have any issue while taking the other longer route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
@crazy driver: You might be knowing, that there is already a 110hp remapped Punto vgt around - any thoughts on making yours the second one with 110hp?
Heard rumours about that one. Read about one in TFI. I guess its the same one? Pete's tuned with 110hp?

I wouldnt be remapping the car just yet, though. Tuning box can be considered one year down the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
@crazy driver - Wonderful report . Was hooked to it and read the whole report in one go. I did test the 2012 Fiat Punto 75 bhp car two weeks back. The car is amazing, but very low on power. After reading your report, i am tempted to test drive the 90 bhp VGT and check if i find this amusing.

The fault is also on my side as after driving the new Fiesta, everything else seems so blunt.

Wish you a very happy married life (i meant with the Punto, which you can change in 5 - 7 years time!!!)
I havent driven the new Fiesta, but - 90HP wont feel that much different from a 75HP in terms of power. Like many have mentioned in above posts - 90HP makes a difference mainly at higher rpms.

And make sure you TD a car with atleast 5k on the odo. As a new car, its shockingly dead in responding to throttle inputs.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th April 2012 at 22:29.
Old 30th April 2012, 22:49   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Great review CrAzY dRiVeR. Thanks for all the effort put into it.

Many love the GP, but not brave enough to put money on it. And I am in that list.

Hope Fiat India will make you a fan for life. I know the GP will.
Trust me - I was the leader of that list. But as they say - there is nothing permanent except change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I like it alloys too

Good review. Did I miss or you forgot to comment about the stock tyres? Are they good or would you suggest a upgrade.

Check this too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...to-sporte.html
I am not so sure about the stock tyres yet. So better not comment. I didnt feel they were bad at any point of time, even while doing some wet road cornering in Munnar - but the road noise seems to be on the higher side - and it seems to be increasing.

Some members have commented in the TD thread - you only know how bad the stock tyre is, when you finally upgrade. May be true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Crazy driver, Atlast now I am convinced that I am not really mad. I have been explaining the same perceptions about owning a Punto to most people who enquire about the machine. But most times, I was dismissed as a crazy fiat fan and that I am out of my mind. This has happened multiple times that I have stopped raving about the car to anybody.

That was one smashing review and I am sure most people who own a Punto will agree with your ownership experience. Enjoy many more happy miles with your Punto.
I have decided something - I wont praise it, not recommend it to my friends outside of team-bhp. If they want an opinion - they can TD and see. They would already have a negative perception about FIAT, why then, should we waste our precious time?

My colleague and best friend in office- cannot stop praising his new Verito over my Punto. To each his own, thats all I would say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Hi crazydriver.

Many many congratulations for your passionate buy.

And loads of applaud for such a passionate review.

You are indeed a true lover, my dear friend, and congratulations to you for that feat.

Keep it coming.

Five star material indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Nice review and an inimitable presentation style complimenting a stylish car. Read it in one go.Waiting for more events and experience to come along.
Thank you guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativity View Post
Excellent review, enjoyed reading every bit of it. The opening dialogue with the 12 year old is a killer. It is mind boggling that the 12 year old's know better these days.
Yes. Mind boggling. I was a complete stranger to them too!

I hope they would read this review someday. Judging by their love for automobiles - they would be in the forum someday for sure! And yes - they all wanted to be automobile engineers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
I know am late, but, better late than never. Congratulations on your GP 90HP and wish you a very happy and prosperous married life.

Loved the way you've written the review!!

I agree with what you have got to say about the Blue Lady, but suggest you use the steering mounted controls. It's a breeze to use them and note that the folder browsing speed has also been increased in the new version of Blue&Me. Not sure whether your car has the latest version.

AFAIK, the turning radius of the GP 2012 was decreased by 0.1m. IIRC it was 5.1m earlier and is 5.0m on the GP 2012. (5.4m as mentioned in some of the above comments must be for Linea). Correct me if I am wrong here guys.

Punto is indeed a bliss on the highway! I have driven 10500 of my 11000km on the highways and I would vouch for this anytime!!

Coming to thinking about changing the stock tires, I feel they do their job very well and unless you are very much bent upon having a 205 or an R16 they fit the bill!

Wish you thousands of happy miles that you and GP are gonna crunch!
Drive safe!!
Remember reading long back that blue lady can be upgraded. Need to check that! Any pointers on how to check for the version number?

Turning radius was 5.4m. I dont remember Punto having 5.1m turning radius, and this was one of the main highlights in the 2012 launch thread. Are you sure it was 5.1? Even our official review states it as 5.4m IIRC.
Old 1st May 2012, 00:57   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Wow! I missed that till now!
Have you got the chip which has the remote? How different does it feel from the stock car in P1 mode? Is the difference only felt at higher rpms/ does it make a difference in city driving as well?
Yes I have the remote controlled Race Dynamics DieselTronic tuning chip which comes with 4 modes - E,S,P1 and P2.

E = Economy mode, lower spec then Stock settings - aimed for people who want more average and low grunt.
S = Stock Condition.
P1 = Power mode 1, the turbo spool is better then the stock turbo and it increases the drivability of the car by miles. I drive around Pune/Mumbai where I have to wait for the heavy vehicles to give way when they are climbing some steep road and this feature is a boon. All of us in here, know that Punto just dies when in 3rd-4th we are below 1200 RPM but not the case any more with this thing.
P2 = Power Mode 2 (Always on in my car), the turbo spool is just so strong that you will smile from ear to ear. Its is best used in 2nd and 3rd gears however the push is also felt when you accelerate in 4th/5th gear as well. But the spool is only felt till 3500ish RPM max. However, I have redlined the car at 4500 RPM with P2 mode and reached 180 a little quicker then stock. Have attained a top speed of 190 - with the chip.
I havent driven Punto with Petes's box in it so cant comment with respect to it however considering the price point ( its almost 15K cheaper) I definitely find it worth the money + A.S.S from race dynamics is just great.

I have recently added K&N hence drivability has just improved and turbo lag has reduced making zipping through the signals a breeze and now it just gets a little angry (exhaust sounds sweet) and makes me all the way more happy.

All I can say - Punto 90HP with P2 mode ON, can give the highly claimed - I20 Diesel a run for its money.

Take care and drive safe.

Last edited by scofield : 1st May 2012 at 01:00.
Old 1st May 2012, 01:29   #57
Senior - BHPian

Wonderfully and painstakingly written review CD. Yes, I test drove this 90hp Punto almost 2 years back when I walked into a TATA Ferrari showroom looking to TD the usual Punto (cause I loved her looks to death). I drove it hard for more than 70 kms on bad roads, clean roads, start/stop traffic. My impression of it was a nice mile cruncher because it was a diesel and a stunner to look at, nothing more than that. Sorry, I did not mean to spoil your thread, these are only MY impressions.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 1st May 2012 at 01:41.
Old 1st May 2012, 05:56   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield

Yes I have the remote controlled Race Dynamics DieselTronic tuning chip which comes with 4 modes - E,S,P1 and P2.

E = Economy mode, lower spec then Stock settings - aimed for people who want more average and low grunt.
S = Stock Condition.
P1 = Power mode 1, the turbo spool is better then the stock turbo and it increases the drivability of the car by miles. I drive around Pune/Mumbai where I have to wait for the heavy vehicles to give way when they are climbing some steep road and this feature is a boon. All of us in here, know that Punto just dies when in 3rd-4th we are below 1200 RPM but not the case any more with this thing.
P2 = Power Mode 2 (Always on in my car), the turbo spool is just so strong that you will smile from ear to ear. Its is best used in 2nd and 3rd gears however the push is also felt when you accelerate in 4th/5th gear as well. But the spool is only felt till 3500ish RPM max. However, I have redlined the car at 4500 RPM with P2 mode and reached 180 a little quicker then stock. Have attained a top speed of 190 - with the chip.
I havent driven Punto with Petes's box in it so cant comment with respect to it however considering the price point ( its almost 15K cheaper) I definitely find it worth the money + A.S.S from race dynamics is just great.

I have recently added K&N hence drivability has just improved and turbo lag has reduced making zipping through the signals a breeze and now it just gets a little angry (exhaust sounds sweet) and makes me all the way more happy.

All I can say - Punto 90HP with P2 mode ON, can give the highly claimed - I20 Diesel a run for its money.

Take care and drive safe.
What about smoke? Any issues before adding the k&n box? Since you mention that it has power before turbo starts spooling- they may be dumping a lot of fuel at low rpms, right?

How easy is it to remove the box before taking the car for service?

Never knew there was a price difference of 15k! So, the RD box is just 18k?
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
Wonderfully and painstakingly written review CD. Yes, I test drove this 90hp Punto almost 2 years back when I walked into a TATA Ferrari showroom looking to TD the usual Punto (cause I loved her looks to death). I drove it hard for more than 70 kms on bad roads, clean roads, start/stop traffic. My impression of it was a nice mile cruncher because it was a diesel and a stunner to look at, nothing more than that. Sorry, I did not mean to spoil your thread, these are only MY impressions.
No offence taken. You are definitely entitled to express your opinion.

So, what would be your pick- if you were to choose a FTD diesel hatchback?

Also- TATA Ferrarri showroom? Where's that?
Old 1st May 2012, 10:15   #59
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase of this hot hatch! This definitely is a great handler. Clocked 26500+ kms so far and except some plastic sounds, the car has been just great!
I personally felt the OE audio was pathetic and changed it eventually. And I do agree the seat fabric looks good as well. I only had 6L at the time of purchase so had to settle for a Punto Emotion 75hp. I envy seeing a 90hp or a Punto E pack now! :P

Wish you a very Happy Married life and hope you enjoy your new Punto!
Old 1st May 2012, 13:55   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Remember reading long back that blue lady can be upgraded. Need to check that! Any pointers on how to check for the version number?

Turning radius was 5.4m. I dont remember Punto having 5.1m turning radius, and this was one of the main highlights in the 2012 launch thread. Are you sure it was 5.1? Even our official review states it as 5.4m IIRC.
You could go to http://www.blueandme.net/blueandme/index.aspx to download the latest version. Unfortunately there is no way to find out the version of the software that is currently on the car. You'll have to follow a trial and error process. All details of how to install are provided on the site. PM me in case you require any further details.

I think I was missing something on the turning radius

Most Viewed