Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2012, 18:59   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
This is a good and much needed upgrade - instead of Osram Night breaker, try the Osram nightbreaker +, the new and upgraded model. I have used NB earlier and I am using NB+ now, and I feel NB+ illuminates more than NB.
Although I'm seeing your post a bit too late, luckily - I got NB+ for the car. Here's a list of stuff I got today. Nothing big, though. Pictures will be posted tomorrow.

1. Sun Film Removal - Rs 500/-
2. Sun Of A Gun Dashboard Polish.
3. Car duster (Something similar to Jopasu).

4. LED Roof Light - 3*3 (towards driver) + 4*4 (Towards Front passenger).
5. Funtone Perfume.
5. Osram Nightbreaker Plus.

Prices will be a bit on the higher side since I visited Privilege Moto Mall in Chennai.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th May 2012 at 19:21.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:51   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys, I'm trying my best to read through the ICE threads. Need to plan a system within a budget of around 40k (50k max if unavoidable).
I would recommend to retain the stock HU so that you can still use the steering mounted controls and B&M. For the ICE upgrade, here's what I have done for my Linea.

- 4 Channel Focal Amplifier
- Front components (Focal Access)
- Rear Co-axial (MTX)
- Sub woofer (Shallow sub from MB-QUART)

Total budget - close to 40k.

I recommend Focal Polyglass for components and Sub. The outcome would be much more better. I got the installation done from Power Zone, Royapettah. Mr. Saravana there does the neat job.

Quote:
She would also be getting new headlamps (Osram Nightbreaker most probably, dont want to play with the electricals yet).
Both NB and NB+ is waste of money. I have the NB+ in my Linea for the Low, High and the fog lamps. Not much improvement over the stock. Under rainy conditions, the output is worse than the stock.
Old 20th May 2012, 16:22   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post

Both NB and NB+ is waste of money. I have the NB+ in my Linea for the Low, High and the fog lamps. Not much improvement over the stock. Under rainy conditions, the output is worse than the stock.
@Ramesh: I agree to you that under rainy conditions, NB+ does not offer much of an advantage due to the whitish color. But I have felt that for normal night highway driving, they are much better than stock. For rains and fog, yellowish beam will have an upper hand since it does not gets dispersed as easily as white\whitish light.

NB+ is ideal ONLY as the main driving light - for fog lights, it is always better to choose something more yellowish.
Old 20th May 2012, 22:28   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Linea uses H1 and H7 bulbs, while the Punto uses H4. Maybe there is a difference due to that in the overall effectiveness of the bulbs. From what I have heard and seen, NB+ is valued by most Punto owners who upgraded. BTW, Punto has Osram halogens as OE fitment for headlamps.

Quote:
@Ramesh: I agree to you that under rainy conditions, NB+ does not offer much of an advantage due to the whitish color. But I have felt that for normal night highway driving, they are much better than stock. For rains and fog, yellowish beam will have an upper hand since it does not gets dispersed as easily as white\whitish light.

NB+ is ideal ONLY as the main driving light - for fog lights, it is always better to choose something more yellowish.
Exactly.

Quote:

Waiting...
Hey buddy, no luck for me too! Tried what is given in the B&M manual, both voice controls/navigation through HU, I could not browse the folders.
Old 21st May 2012, 14:36   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But I have felt that for normal night highway driving, they are much better than stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Linea uses H1 and H7 bulbs, while the Punto uses H4. Maybe there is a difference due to that in the overall effectiveness of the bulbs. From what I have heard and seen, NB+ is valued by most Punto owners who upgraded. BTW, Punto has Osram halogens as OE fitment for headlamps.
I agree that NB+ is better than the stock under normal conditions. NB+ fails miserably under the following 2 circumstances.

1. Under rainy condition
2. On a 2Lane road with oncoming vehicles in high beam. The whitish tint of NB+ is to be blamed here.

After driving on highways extensively under all conditions, my satisfaction level with the NB+ is Average.

I have used the H4 NB+ for my Punto too and the result remains same.
Old 21st May 2012, 20:11   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremjitS View Post
Have gone with 29 PSI too....let's see how it feels. Even I felt that the TD car had a better ride quality. Since the TD car was an Emotion variant with 15" rubber on alloys, do to the alloys help in any way with the ride?
Infact, it should be the other way round. The 14 inchers with thicker rubber should have better ride quality as compared to 15 inchers.
Quote:
I would recommend to retain the stock HU so that you can still use the steering mounted controls and B&M. For the ICE upgrade, here's what I have done for my Linea.

- 4 Channel Focal Amplifier
- Front components (Focal Access)
- Rear Co-axial (MTX)
- Sub woofer (Shallow sub from MB-QUART)

Total budget - close to 40k.

I recommend Focal Polyglass for components and Sub. The outcome would be much more better. I got the installation done from Power Zone, Royapettah. Mr. Saravana there does the neat job.
A similar set-up with a similar budget to that i have in mind. My main confusion is whether to go for a 4 channel focal amplifier (For signal level input), OR put any 4 channel amplifier in addition to a processor like Audison Connection SLI 4.

How is MTX? I heard Focal produces a very natural sound signature. Does MTX compliment the same, or is a bit on the shrill side? Does Powerzone allow auditioning of different brands?

Did you buy these stuff from Power Zone as well? After browsing through many ICE threads, powerzone seems to be the best bet in chennai.
Quote:
But I have felt that for normal night highway driving, they are much better than stock.
+ 1.

Although its been only 2 night drives (Around 40 kms) - I feel they are an improvement compared to the stock lamps. Coupled with the fog lamps - they are producing an effect similar to the 100/90 setup on my WagonR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Hey buddy, no luck for me too! Tried what is given in the B&M manual, both voice controls/navigation through HU, I could not browse the folders.
Welcome to the club!

These days, I just enjoy listening to songs at random. Have completly given up changing folders. Good part - My wife has a good music collection and i get to listen to most songs now.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 20:43   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A similar set-up with a similar budget to that i have in mind. My main confusion is whether to go for a 4 channel focal amplifier (For signal level input), OR put any 4 channel amplifier in addition to a processor like Audison Connection SLI 4.

How is MTX? I heard Focal produces a very natural sound signature. Does MTX compliment the same, or is a bit on the shrill side? Does Powerzone allow auditioning of different brands?

Did you buy these stuff from Power Zone as well? After browsing through many ICE threads, powerzone seems to be the best bet in chennai.
Going for a sound processor will shoot up the cost by another 40k. Powerzone does have sound processors as well. You will have choice of other brands too. I got everything from them.

Regarding MTX, not that great. Instead Focal Access should be good. Focal polyglass is brilliant. I have experienced polyglass in one my friend's car and that's simply brilliant.
Old 21st May 2012, 22:19   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Going for a sound processor will shoot up the cost by another 40k. Powerzone does have sound processors as well. You will have choice of other brands too. I got everything from them.

Regarding MTX, not that great. Instead Focal Access should be good. Focal polyglass is brilliant. I have experienced polyglass in one my friend's car and that's simply brilliant.
40k should be a typo - I guess its 4k?

I guess I'll need to wait till september to pull out such a budget from the account. Wondering whether to upgrade speakers alone till then. The stock speakers are starting to get on my nerves.

I'll be doing the install along with another friend - 30 to max 40k budget on her esteem. She needs an HU + 2 components at front + amp + sub.
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:51   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
40k should be a typo - I guess its 4k?
I guess I'll need to wait till september to pull out such a budget from the account. Wondering whether to upgrade speakers alone till then. The stock speakers are starting to get on my nerves.
Well the Audison connection SLI costs around 4500-4800, this is what i was told when i upgraded the sound system in my Linea. I had an emotion pack so didnt change the HU as i would have lost the steering controls and Blu n me which i could afford to so my set up consists of a - Rainbow components in front, bull audio co-axials in rear ( co axials are almost useless with powerful components, just for rear fills) and a Infinity reference 1200 watts sub in the boot running off a humble 720 W Kenwood amp, i didnt go in for the Audison SLI as i was tight on budget, it was some local brand for 1600-1700.

Go in for the amplifier the same time when you change the speakers or the output from the HU would be terrible.

All i can say is that the thump from the sub and the quality of sound has improved by miles and puts a grin on my face when am sitting in the car, all this came to around 30-31k and its not necessary to change the HU if you arent an audiophile, just get a good amp, Audison SLI and you are good to go

Last edited by coolboy007 : 22nd May 2012 at 06:52.
Old 24th May 2012, 12:15   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
I have received news of allotment of a Jazz (I had booked 8 months ago) but I am now unsure about which way to go!
After yesterday's bombshell and CD's awesome review, I think you're sure which way you're going now.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:13   #101
Team-BHP Support

Got my first scratch yesterday, thanks to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2786851

I had searched around 6-7 bunks before arriving at this particular IOC petrol bunk near Chennai airport. There were around 20 - 25 cars waiting in 5 seperate queues. I joined the middle lane, only to realise later that there were just 2 vending machines - and all 5 lanes were converging into 2.

The wait went on for more than an hour, cab guys and goods carriers were impatient and started verbal fights and squeezing each other for space. I was in the centre of all this action. I thought I almost got out of there without a scratch - but ended up with this. (Nothing was felt inside. No idea when it happened. Realised this only when i got out to check tyre pressure).

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_20120525_094033.jpg

There was more of black paint on the bumber. This is after some rubbing with Amway Silicon Glaze. The cut has penetrated through the paint. Guess I have to live with it till the annual service comes up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Rainbow components in front
Quote:
I was tight on budget
Really interesting to see Rainbow and tight budget together in one post. I'm a newbie to ICE, but has been reading through ICE threads for the past one month - and I thought Rainbow was very expensive.

How would Rainbow compare with Focal Polyglass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
After yesterday's bombshell and CD's awesome review, I think you're sure which way you're going now.
Lol! But yes- totally agree with you on the bombshell part. Forget about Jazz, I am not taking out my pulsar these days. For a mileage of 42, i need to spent around Rs. 185/- for every 100kms. In the Punto - with much much more comfort and a fantastic a/c, I get to spent only around Rs 250 for every 100 kms. (Assuming a mileage of 17+)/- Not to mention - I can accomodate an additional 3 in comfort as well.

If you love Jazz and Punto equally - Punto makes a lot more sense after the recent increase in petrol prices.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:13   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got my first scratch yesterday

I had searched around 6-7 bunks before arriving at this particular IOC petrol bunk near Chennai airport. There were around 20 - 25 cars waiting in 5 seperate queues. I joined the middle lane, only to realise later that there were just 2 vending machines - and all 5 lanes were converging into 2.

The wait went on for more than an hour, cab guys and goods carriers were impatient and started verbal fights and squeezing each other for space. I was in the centre of all this action. I thought I almost got out of there without a scratch - but ended up with this. (Nothing was felt inside. No idea when it happened. Realised this only when i got out to check tyre pressure).

There was more of black paint on the bumber. This is after some rubbing with Amway Silicon Glaze. The cut has penetrated through the paint. Guess I have to live with it till the annual service comes up.
That's really bad, especially when the this is close to you heart. The day before due to petrol price hikes, there were massive jams around the petrol pumps to save some rupees & I bet there could be few more like you.

Yesterday a bike-wallah (HH Glamour with drum-brakes) decided to test my car's bumper rather than applying his brakes properly. Fortunately, the impact was not bad, but, I almost lost my cool, for when I asked him why could he did not apply the brakes, he just nodded off with a mischievous smile. Few people have become totally inconsiderate these days .
Old 26th May 2012, 17:43   #103
Senior - BHPian

Rainbows arent that expensive as you think, almost all good components cost upwards of 10k, the Rainbows Dlc costed me 11500 i think which was 3k more expensive than Hertz and even expensive that Digital design. I really love the rainbows though, they are bright, crystal clear and with the huge bass my Infinity sub produces, its a balanced system.

I have heard Focal are very good( not auditioned them personally), my friend has DD in his Rapid and they are good as well, i went with a budget of 20k, ended up spending 28 and then another 5 for Infinity sub but now the whole car shakes up and that too on stock HU, i didnt go for Audison SLI as i didnt have much info about the role of this component and ended up saving a fee thousands on this thing as i spent way more than i had planned, dont worry you will do the same thing with your Punto, ICE is an addiction
Old 30th May 2012, 09:15   #104
Team-BHP Support

An old pic of my car, but thought of trying a new edit-

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_6824c_800_2.jpg

She has crossed the 7500 kms mark. Would most probably be going in for an engine oil change very soon! I am just not feeling comfortable with this 15k change interval, that too for the first fill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
That's really bad, especially when the this is close to you heart. The day before due to petrol price hikes, there were massive jams around the petrol pumps to save some rupees & I bet there could be few more like you.
Atleast that would have been avoided by not visiting the pump. But Chennai is facing huge shortage of petrol + diesel these days. Its the same story every other day!

Can you imagine 25+ cars in queue, at 2am in the morning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Yesterday a bike-wallah (HH Glamour with drum-brakes) decided to test my car's bumper rather than applying his brakes properly. Fortunately, the impact was not bad, but, I almost lost my cool, for when I asked him why could he did not apply the brakes, he just nodded off with a mischievous smile. Few people have become totally inconsiderate these days .
Happened with me today morning. Fortunately no damage. I had to stop (from only around 20 kmph) for a cyclist and this guy on a passion comes and bangs from behind, quickly overtakes and escapes without looking.
Quote:
dont worry you will do the same thing with your Punto, ICE is an addiction

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th May 2012 at 09:32.
Old 30th May 2012, 10:30   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Accessories/ Customizations #4 - Door Sill Protection Plate.
Brand - FIAT OE.
Cost - Rs 391/-
Is this Door sill comes with 4 Pieces for all doors or only 2 for Front Sides?

Most Viewed