Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2012, 14:10   #61
BANNED

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Is the cost of manufacturing the 1.6 MJD that much more than the 1.3 MJD that FIAT simply doesnt want to get that into India.
I think FIAT should go the whole hog and give us the 1.6 MJD version of the PUNTO and the Linea.
Old 1st May 2012, 21:26   #62
BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Man.. simply blown by reading your thread. and more importantly smashing pictures there.

Could easily say, FIAT's, without a doubt give absolute driving pleasure when it comes to highway cruising. Just now, out of a 2000km trip with my T-Jet and could understand every statement of yours about your Punto. Its pure bliss to be in a Punto or a Linea when it comes to driving pleasure and dynamics. Given a chance, if FIAT comes out with another car, I will be first in the showroom to bet my money on that.

and Reg. Servicing in Chennai - Go to TAFE Reach Greams Road. I have tried almost all the Service Centers except VST and can confidently say the guys in TAFE are good. Meet Mr.Tenzing there. He is definitely better than the normal crowd.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 1st May 2012 at 21:35.
Old 1st May 2012, 22:24   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What about smoke? Any issues before adding the k&n box? Since you mention that it has power before turbo starts spooling- they may be dumping a lot of fuel at low rpms, right?

How easy is it to remove the box before taking the car for service?

Never knew there was a price difference of 15k! So, the RD box is just 18k?
Even I had the concern about the smoke - however during a recent team bhp meet we had in pune - all of them drove the car to the full throttle and I couldnt see any smoke from the car and none of the onlookers saw any unwanted smoke, I asked them a couple of times.
Since you mention that it has power before turbo starts spooling- they may be dumping a lot of fuel at low rpms, right? - Yes.
Its just a 10 min job , all you have to do is remove the head cover and connect RD box input to the input comming from the accelerator and the RD box's output to the ECU's input. We have to connect the RD box to the battery terminal for power.
RD box for Punto 90HP costed me 19K when i bought it in november last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Given a chance, if FIAT comes out with another car, I will be first in the showroom to bet my money on that.
I am with you, I am already dreaming about Viaggio/Bravo - hope Fiat launches it in a year to two in India with atleast 1.6 MJDs.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 4th May 2012 at 12:05. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 1st May 2012, 23:46   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Very nice review crazy driver. Congratulations on buying a fantastic car!
When I bought my Punto in 2009, the first thing my uncle told me was that I had wasted 7 lakhs. He was speaking from his experience with Premier Padmini.
I have covered 40K kms till date. But the car has not let me down.
Yes, there have been issues with the car. But they are not anything major. I have had the loose link rod problem thrice now! The first time I had was when the car was around 10K kms old. The latest one is as late as 38K kms. Yes, there is rattle from the left front door which is not going away easily, or better I think its there to stay!
I still have an issue with the rear nozzle. The same which one of our member, Driving nomad has! But the service center (URS KAR Service, Mysore) is not solving this issue, inspite of complaining since last 10 months! I am glad that the same service station has fixed the issue on Driving Nomad's car.
Its a fantastic car, no doubt!

For me the major factor at play are the fantastic and confidence inspiring brakes! Its the biggest positive for Punto. And yes, Fiat considers all its customers same. Thank god, they did not install mediocre brakes in the lower variants of the car. Which Maruti has been consistently doing with Swift!
Coming to think of it - I still haven't tried to rear washer. Infact - i tried once to locate it - forgot about it later on. Need to try and find out if its working.

True about the brakes. They are fantastic! I'm actually thankful to Maruti for removing the VDi ABS option - else I'm sure I would have been driving one of those - if it was available earlier compared to ZDi variant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Congratulations on your purchase of this hot hatch! This definitely is a great handler. Clocked 26500+ kms so far and except some plastic sounds, the car has been just great!
I personally felt the OE audio was pathetic and changed it eventually. And I do agree the seat fabric looks good as well. I only had 6L at the time of purchase so had to settle for a Punto Emotion 75hp. I envy seeing a 90hp or a Punto E pack now! :P

Wish you a very Happy Married life and hope you enjoy your new Punto!
Funny I never came across rattling issues with Punto - before buying one - although I have been through countless FIAT threads. I thought Punto will not give any rattles at all. But - it seems to be a very common issue on the forum.

I really believe the audio system has been improved in the 2012 verions (Or atleast in the 90HP). I had many people commenting on the effective of the system - specially those sitting at the rear. Have had fantastic comments from a Figo Titanium owner, a new Swift ZDi owner - they all think the stock system sounds better than their's.

Its not perfect though - and I'm noting some crackling at high volumes. An upgrade is on the cards, within a year most probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
You could go to http://www.blueandme.net/blueandme/index.aspx to download the latest version. Unfortunately there is no way to find out the version of the software that is currently on the car. You'll have to follow a trial and error process. All details of how to install are provided on the site. PM me in case you require any further details.

I think I was missing something on the turning radius
Thanks a lot for that! Will be checking this over the coming weekend.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st May 2012 at 23:47.
Old 2nd May 2012, 00:00   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Is the cost of manufacturing the 1.6 MJD that much more than the 1.3 MJD that FIAT simply doesnt want to get that into India.
I think FIAT should go the whole hog and give us the 1.6 MJD version of the PUNTO and the Linea.
Forget 1.6, I just dont understand why they chose such a mild state of tune - even for the 90HP. The 75HP Swift 'feels' so aggressive in comparison. I stress on the word 'feel' since outright power may be more of the Punto, but Swift feels so much more angry and waiting to unleash fury.
Quote:
Man.. simply blown by reading your thread. and more importantly smashing pictures there.

Could easily say, FIAT's, without a doubt give absolute driving pleasure when it comes to highway cruising. Just now, out of a 2000km trip with my T-Jet and could understand every statement of yours about your Punto. Its pure bliss to be in a Punto or a Linea when it comes to driving pleasure and dynamics. Given a chance, if FIAT comes out with another car, I will be first in the showroom to bet my money on that.

and Reg. Servicing in Chennai - Go to TAFE Reach Greams Road. I have tried almost all the Service Centers except VST and can confidently say the guys in TAFE are good. Meet Mr.Tenzing there. He is definitely better than the normal crowd.
Funny thing - when I asked in the TD thread before buying the car - everyone suggested against TAFE showrooms. Else, it was the first showroom i went to, and would have bought the car from there itself.

But now - I am hearing a lot of good reviews about TAFE Reach.

I am still dreaming of that T-Jet TD. Wanted to ask my SE to arrange a TD few weeks back, but it got diverted. Will try to drive one soon. I just cant wait to see what an powerful engine can do - in such a package (Linea/ Punto).
Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
Even I had the concern about the smoke - however during a recent team bhp meet we had in pune - all of them drove the car to the full throttle and I couldnt see any smoke from the car and none of the onlookers saw any unwanted smoke, I asked them a couple of times.
Since you mention that it has power before turbo starts spooling- they may be dumping a lot of fuel at low rpms, right? - Yes.
Its just a 10 min job , all you have to do is remove the head cover and connect RD box input to the input comming from the accelerator and the RD box's output to the ECU's input. We have to connect the RD box to the battery terminal for power.
RD box for Punto 90HP costed me 19K when i bought it in november last year.
Just checked the RD website - and it seems they dont support in Chennai?

The following thread speaks about going back to them - to get the tuning right, and as per needs. Did you needed any of that? Or was it to your satisfaction from the first time itself?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2665842
Old 2nd May 2012, 00:16   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Funny I never came across rattling issues with Punto - before buying one - although I have been through countless FIAT threads. I thought Punto will not give any rattles at all. But - it seems to be a very common issue on the forum.

I really believe the audio system has been improved in the 2012 verions (Or atleast in the 90HP). I had many people commenting on the effective of the system - specially those sitting at the rear. Have had fantastic comments from a Figo Titanium owner, a new Swift ZDi owner - they all think the stock system sounds better than their's.

Its not perfect though - and I'm noting some crackling at high volumes. An upgrade is on the cards, within a year most probably.

Thanks a lot for that! Will be checking this over the coming weekend.
The rattles have started after driving over some really bad roads (infact I moved from my rented flat after I started to understand that the car is developing rattles because of the roads!)
However, I am not sure if that alone is the cause. I have got it fixed once after second service and it seemed to have fixed that. After that I had done a trip with my family where following Google maps got us off the regular road and directed us on some non-existent roads - and the rattles especially from the doors and the parcel tray have developed. They are not much though, I still didn't get it fixed though.

I have upgraded the stock stereo and the speakers on the car. I had to remove the stock one primarily because I really needed USB/AUX or atleast one of them. And none was offered on Emotion back then. So had to swap. Its good to know that the stock one has improved. I will check it if I get a chance at the service center or showroom. :-)
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:55   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Just checked the RD website - and it seems they dont support in Chennai?
The following thread speaks about going back to them - to get the tuning right, and as per needs. Did you needed any of that? Or was it to your satisfaction from the first time itself?
No idea about Chennai man.
Yes I know, I have already had a word with RD and they do have a higher level of mapping for the stock tuning chip. I am quite satisfied with the stock chip we get from RD however if you want a little more then RD guys can help in that, all you need to do is send your chip back to them and they shall update the software with a new one and it shall cost around 2.5K.
However, I am happy with the current set up and he also said that engine might get affected if revved really hard with the new setup of tuning chip and the warranty of the box is also void.

PS: Also your thumbnail needs to be tweaked and Punto must be the part of the flicker. :-)

Last edited by scofield : 2nd May 2012 at 02:59.
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:21   #68
BHPian

Quote:

Funny thing - when I asked in the TD thread before buying the car - everyone suggested against TAFE showrooms. Else, it was the first showroom i went to, and would have bought the car from there itself.

But now - I am hearing a lot of good reviews about TAFE Reach.

I am still dreaming of that T-Jet TD. Wanted to ask my SE to arrange a TD few weeks back, but it got diverted. Will try to drive one soon. I just cant wait to see what an powerful engine can do - in such a package (Linea/ Punto).
Yes, what others say is right about TAFE, but on the "SALES" part - TAFE sales is not that good. But, Service is better than rest of the Centers in Chennai.

I would have my pick like this - Sales = Best is Concorde, Guindy and Service = TAFE Reach, Greams road is one of the best.

As GTO mentioned, "T-Jet - Linea" combination is simply BLISS.
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:58   #69
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review Crazy_Driver. I was shocked to see your ownership review that too of a FIAT . She looks awesome and definitely a looker for sure. My Punto (75 bhp) opened up after putting around 8K on the odo.

As you have rightly said, its a dream tourer in this budget range. I always enjoy (rather look forward to) highway drives and have put 23.5K in 2 years. In my last car (Petrol Palio), I had done 22K in 5 years, so that explains how this diesel hatchback can make wonders.

Take good care of her and she wont disappoint you for years.
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:57   #70
Team-BHP Support

Today seems to be a bad day of new FIAT car owners - First, SC coming up with that sudden verdict, and second - FIAT's decision to get away from TATA's distribution network (I'm partially happy at that move, but not sure if FIAT will be able to pull in a nation-wide dealer network on their own!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
The rattles have started after driving over some really bad roads (infact I moved from my rented flat after I started to understand that the car is developing rattles because of the roads!)
However, I am not sure if that alone is the cause. I have got it fixed once after second service and it seemed to have fixed that. After that I had done a trip with my family where following Google maps got us off the regular road and directed us on some non-existent roads - and the rattles especially from the doors and the parcel tray have developed. They are not much though, I still didn't get it fixed though.

I have upgraded the stock stereo and the speakers on the car. I had to remove the stock one primarily because I really needed USB/AUX or atleast one of them. And none was offered on Emotion back then. So had to swap. Its good to know that the stock one has improved. I will check it if I get a chance at the service center or showroom.
Changed house because rattles developed in your car? Thats true love for the car!

I'm now thinking of either getting it checked from an private garage around 7.5k mark, or getting proper damping done during the planned ICE upgrade (By this year end only though) and if it helps.

The stock one seems to be crackling a bit more at higher volumes during the past two days. Is it going bad over time? Can report only after a few days.
Quote:
No idea about Chennai man.
Yes I know, I have already had a word with RD and they do have a higher level of mapping for the stock tuning chip. I am quite satisfied with the stock chip we get from RD however if you want a little more then RD guys can help in that, all you need to do is send your chip back to them and they shall update the software with a new one and it shall cost around 2.5K.
However, I am happy with the current set up and he also said that engine might get affected if revved really hard with the new setup of tuning chip and the warranty of the box is also void.

PS: Also your thumbnail needs to be tweaked and Punto must be the part of the flicker. :-)
In the Skoda Rapid thread i posted earlier - he had posted that they offer unlimited settings change - free of cost. I think he himself went in for one.

If RD does not have proper dealers in Chennai (Will try to get in touch with them around the 10k mark), will get Pete's from Kerala - where I know the dealers well.
Quote:
Yes, what others say is right about TAFE, but on the "SALES" part - TAFE sales is not that good. But, Service is better than rest of the Centers in Chennai.

I would have my pick like this - Sales = Best is Concorde, Guindy and Service = TAFE Reach, Greams road is one of the best.

As GTO mentioned, "T-Jet - Linea" combination is simply BLISS.
Will try them for second service!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Awesome review Crazy_Driver. I was shocked to see your ownership review that too of a FIAT . She looks awesome and definitely a looker for sure. My Punto (75 bhp) opened up after putting around 8K on the odo.

As you have rightly said, its a dream tourer in this budget range. I always enjoy (rather look forward to) highway drives and have put 23.5K in 2 years. In my last car (Petrol Palio), I had done 22K in 5 years, so that explains how this diesel hatchback can make wonders.

Take good care of her and she wont disappoint you for years.
Haha! The shock effect continues.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd May 2012 at 22:00.
Old 4th May 2012, 01:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:

In the Skoda Rapid thread i posted earlier - he had posted that they offer unlimited settings change - free of cost. I think he himself went in for one.

If RD does not have proper dealers in Chennai (Will try to get in touch with them around the 10k mark), will get Pete's from Kerala - where I know the dealers well.
I had a word regarding the setting changes witht the RD technician and the cost story came up from his side only.
Regarding the unlimited settings - they might have it however , I wanted a stronger P1 , I mean P2 should be P1 and P2 should be a little more and which they havent tested on a Punto.
Also - I feel with the help of the tuning chip you can only play fool with the ECU with respect to the fuel inputs, however my very basic need - is that the turbo should start at 1500, which requires a ECU re mapping only.
Old 4th May 2012, 07:55   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had a word regarding the setting changes witht the RD technician and the cost story came up from his side only.
Regarding the unlimited settings - they might have it however , I wanted a stronger P1 , I mean P2 should be P1 and P2 should be a little more and which they havent tested on a Punto.
Also - I feel with the help of the tuning chip you can only play fool with the ECU with respect to the fuel inputs, however my very basic need - is that the turbo should start at 1500, which requires a ECU re mapping only.
But isn't turbo a purely mechanical device? How could ECU remapping help? Its all about the amount of exhaust gases that the turbo gets, right?

Talking of which - I wonder how Renault has managed to tune that K9K engine so brilliantly! Recently drove my friend's Verito for a while. Within City limits (Low rpms) it feels very peppy from right above 1200 -1300 rpm. In signal to signal traffic - no one will complain that its just 68 (IIRC) bhp!
Old 4th May 2012, 16:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations CD on this buy.

Wonder how come this thread was never noticed by me, i bet you took long time to compose this hence when it went live it was with date of the first post hence lower down on the New Topics Section.

What has world come too, you bought a Fiat after being a Maruti/Suzuki boy for so long . On Serious note, this is probably most fun to drive car in the market today only let down by iffy A.S.S experience. Owners usually swear by its drivability. Speaks volumes about the car.

A very exhaustive, well written, planned and organized review, explains the time it took you to nail it down. Your writing style and the way its organized makes the car look 2 notches better, seriously.

More then BlueMe folder searching speed i would say non availability of A2DP to stream music from phone to the cars Audio system would be a bigger miss for me. Today i think the Aux-In cable that i have is such a inconvenience and waste.

Wishing you many miles with it.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 4th May 2012 at 16:07.
Old 4th May 2012, 23:03   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Congratulations CD on this buy.

Wonder how come this thread was never noticed by me, i bet you took long time to compose this hence when it went live it was with date of the first post hence lower down on the New Topics Section.

What has world come too, you bought a Fiat after being a Maruti/Suzuki boy for so long . On Serious note, this is probably most fun to drive car in the market today only let down by iffy A.S.S experience. Owners usually swear by its drivability. Speaks volumes about the car.

A very exhaustive, well written, planned and organized review, explains the time it took you to nail it down. Your writing style and the way its organized makes the car look 2 notches better, seriously.

More then BlueMe folder searching speed i would say non availability of A2DP to stream music from phone to the cars Audio system would be a bigger miss for me. Today i think the Aux-In cable that i have is such a inconvenience and waste.

Wishing you many miles with it.
Thank you.

The main reason for the delay - was to try and get my wife to write her impressions about the car. When she finally did - got bored half way and left. Thats why her post only says about the selection process, which I've actually mentioned in detail above! Never thought about the new topics button while composing the thread, infact - i never use it. I always search for new posts - instead of new topics.

I guess A2DP streaming is available in Polo and i20? Heard my friends raving about it. Somehow - I dont miss that functionality as of now. My wife keeps updating her music collection - and I just copy that for use in the car. My phone music collection is never properly updated. Infact - I only listen to music while travelling in the car.

The stock speakers seemed to be very good during the initial days. But lot of crackling these days, even at volume 10 - 12. The upgrade will most probably come by June end.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th May 2012 at 23:08.
Old 6th May 2012, 00:41   #75
BHPian

No Fiat advertisement or media write up has ever gotten me so interested in the brand as this review has. That's an awesome job, mate!

Please make sure you keep the thread alive. I'm the latest one to get hooked to your thread. And if I ever end up getting myself a Punto, this thread can claim the spark that ignited the fire!

Most Viewed