Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 15:38   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. EDIT : 20k Re

The white punto simply screens for the red stickers. Like the abarth. Try getting hold of the abarth ones and the smoked headlamps. The already good looking car, will become a drool maal.

Wanted one small help. Wanted to see how the black carbon fiber sticker look on the roof of white linea? Would you be able to help me out with the PS for one of the pics.
Old 21st November 2012, 17:10   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. EDIT : 10k Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
The RD box is the need of the hour in your Punto 90 HP, though the Polo is expected to be coming with 1.6 however the 90 HP has a great mid range where the 1.6TDi lacks big time.

You will be reaching to 120 odd quicker with the 1.6 however post that the reaching to just a shade below 2 ton is where the 90HP VGT + RD box shows the true colours and 1.6 is just found sleeping - however we can always have a RD in polo too :-).
Seriously you believe that? Guess I need to showcase you where the 1.6 outscores the 90HP, even with the RD box.

@crazy driver,
Congrats on the new milestone. The car still looks in excellent touch even after 20k kms - says a lot about your ownership.
Old 21st November 2012, 17:20   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
Seriously you believe that? Guess I need to showcase you where the 1.6 outscores the 90HP, even with the RD box
Tell me the place and time am ready to have a head on. Have recently smoked a CRDi 1.6 enroute to mumbai.
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:45   #244
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. EDIT : 10k Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
By the way there are some body stickers available as Fiat Genuine accessory. But they are not from the Sport version I think.
http://www.fiat-india.com/fiat-accessories.aspx

A ready reckoner for getting the Abarth style body graphics:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2798324
Its similar to the ones in the sport - but with added FIAT logos, i guess - and the bonnet sticker that is not there in the sport. They are asking 2.5k for a decal set though.

Regarding ABARTH - i had decided on it a month back, but didn't get the confidence. One of the famous sticker shops in Chennai told he needs to cut the stickers AFTER placing them on the car. No way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Wanted one small help. Wanted to see how the black carbon fiber sticker look on the roof of white linea? Would you be able to help me out with the PS for one of the pics.
Would these be of any help?

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_8277.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_8249.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@crazy driver,
Congrats on the new milestone. The car still looks in excellent touch even after 20k kms - says a lot about your ownership.
Thank you!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 10:57   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Would these be of any help?
Thank you so much for this. I was actually thinking of getting the carbon fiber wrap for the roof. Will decide this weekend and keep you updated. Thanks again.
Old 23rd November 2012, 14:57   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

OT Point:

Quote:
Thank you so much for this. I was actually thinking of getting the carbon fiber wrap for the roof. Will decide this weekend and keep you updated. Thanks again.
You might also want to have a look at BHPian raj_5004's (sold) vehicle white Punto which had a carbon fibre cover on the roof. Honestly IMO, with the black alloys it looked extremely good.

PFA a few images that I had taken a year back.
Attached Thumbnails
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-dsc09917.jpg  

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-dsc09858.jpg  

ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:51   #247
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. EDIT : 20k Re

Quote:

Regarding ABARTH - i had decided on it a month back, but didn't get the confidence. One of the famous sticker shops in Chennai told he needs to cut the stickers AFTER placing them on the car. No way!
CrAzY dRiVeR, check this out :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-Punto...item3a6b4bfe9f

I am thinking of ordering this. It comes up to around 3k including shipping, and seems to be of good quality. He even ships it to India.

This is more authentic, since it comes with the front bumper strip also. Stripe color and text color are customizable (although I will stick to black stripes and red text to look original).

Quote:
From the PS previews given by CrAzY dRiVeR, I don't think it suits the Linea so much , somewhat looks awkward to me. Linea has a very refined and dignified stance. Punto seems to be more visual-mod-friendly than Linea in this aspect.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2012, 05:32   #248
Team-BHP Support

Never knew Punto ABARTH also came in the 'black on white' colour combo. Looks sporty yet subtle IMO without going too loud. And with those wheels, much better than the PS job i had pasted on the previous page.

Source - Forum is mentioned in the watermark.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-7.jpg
Old 26th November 2012, 13:35   #249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Never knew Punto ABARTH also came in the 'black on white' colour combo. Looks sporty yet subtle IMO without going too loud. And with those wheels, much better than the PS job i had pasted on the previous page.

Source - Forum is mentioned in the watermark.
Attachment 1018471
The 17 inchers wont work for India simply because of the road conditions. A 16 inchers similar alloys with 98 PCD would be the best compromise, but heck so many requirements to be met by the Alloys to go on the FIAT

The alloys on the Punto Sports showcased in the Auto Expo is very nice and goes well with the Red and the white.
Old 7th December 2012, 19:59   #250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had my share of the famous 'odo flashing' issue that many have experienced in their FIATs. Mine started flashing today morning, and the same was noticed over a 5km run. Disppeared once i switched off and restarted the car again.

Weird!

I really wish the 90 had a lot more power/ a smoother revving engine under the hood. Although its fast enough for daily runs with medium load, it doesn't feel all that peppy with a full load. Today morning, with 5 people on-board and some light luggage, a heavy right foot still left me wanting for some more pep - specially below 2500 rpm. Even above 3000rpm - the engine does not feel all that rev-happy although power is much better compared to lower rpms. Performance mods are the need of hour, for sure - but they need to wait.

Anyways- that flashing odo brought up the 12500 kms milestone, in 144 days since purchase.
An my odometer is flashing again! Now - near to the 21250 - 21500 kms mark.

I thought it might just disappear over time, but even after around 200 kms and 3-4 different runs - i am still having the same issue. Battery seems fine (Anyways - car is just about 9 months, 21.5k kms old), blue&me is working fine and what not! Nothing else seems to be wrong with the car!

I will be taking it to the service center sometime next week if the issue does not disappear by itself.

EDIT:

Also - let me just add -

A BIG WELCOME TO INDIA - ABARTH!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th December 2012 at 20:00.
Old 7th December 2012, 21:44   #251
BHPian

I read that Fiat will launch 9 new models in the next 4 years. Looking forward to it. I wonder how would the Abarth be priced? The Jeep range may also be in the premium range.
Old 7th December 2012, 23:31   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I read that Fiat will launch 9 new models in the next 4 years. Looking forward to it. I wonder how would the Abarth be priced? The Jeep range may also be in the premium range.
Abarth may be expensive, Jeep WILL be expensive. However, hopefully- the might launch ABARTH performance kits/ styling kits/ merchandise etc at good prices, so that we can have the best of both worlds without voiding warranty. I'll be happy even if they launch official performance remaps (like Cosworth) which won't void warranty.

I read in some site that in the press conference they told that there will be a lot more new about ABARTH brand next year.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th December 2012 at 23:33.
Old 9th December 2012, 14:56   #253
Team-BHP Support

Got a nice little keychain as a gift from wife. Nopes, not online shopping - she got it from a shop here in Chennai - and looks like she had to do a lot of searching!

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20121209_125638_800.jpg

As reported earlier - the car had vibrations at speeds higher than 80kmph. Got the wheel balancing and alignment checked today - and it seems the issue has been resolved (Atleast felt so during my short sprint to 120kmph).

For Chennai folks -

As we discussed earlier in the Punto TD thread, Shops in Chennai are qouting very high amounts for balancing and alignment. I heard as high as Rs.1300/- (XL tyres, Velachery), Rs 1200/- (Tyrestore and Lal), Rs 950/- (Ramesh Tyres, Taramani link road, Velacheri) and finally opted for Rao Tyres, Selaiyur Camp road, Chennai. The asking rate was Rs 300/- for wheel alignment and 150/- per tyre for balancing. Total of Rs 900 + tax.

Although its still expensive compared to the other cities, on the bright side- they had a nice a/c lounge where you can sit and watch the work in progress.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20121209_115325_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20121209_120412_800.jpg

Flashing odo issue is still unresolved. Will be able to get it checked next weekend only.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th December 2012 at 15:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 21:29   #254
BHPian

Do you feel the 90HP is sluggish and takes a lot of time to get moving? I am thinking of buying a tuning box like Racechip to improve initial pickup in the 1st and 2nd gears as driving in the city is really annoying in my 90HP while I like it better on the highways. I like driving my friend's 75HP in the city as the gear ratios seem to be better.
Old 12th December 2012, 18:52   #255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Do you feel the 90HP is sluggish and takes a lot of time to get moving? I am thinking of buying a tuning box like Racechip to improve initial pickup in the 1st and 2nd gears as driving in the city is really annoying in my 90HP while I like it better on the highways. I like driving my friend's 75HP in the city as the gear ratios seem to be better.
Sluggish? Well, no. May be cause my previous cars was WagonR.

But yes- the power delivery in first two gears doesn't do justice to the 90hp nameplate. Let me put it this way, Mahindra Verito with 68hp feels equally competent at any city speeds.

What's the mileage on your odo? Have you crossed the 5k mark?

As for tuning boxes- I fear they may only increase the lag. Better go for remap if you are serious about low end performance.

Edit: if you haven't done so already, contact scofield. He has been running on RD power for sometime now.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 12th December 2012 at 18:56.

Most Viewed