Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 12:30   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. EDIT : 20k Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Will a processor be able to overcome the shortcomings of such a cheap HU? It may make it sound better but wont it distort?

Already there is a slight distortion in the system, as the amp has to take input from the high level signals from the HU. Wont a processor introduce more noise in the circuit?
Yes it certainly will. The processor will take the high level inputs your amp is currently getting, and give out low level inputs to your amps. The stock HU does nothing after the processor, besides read from the CD or whatever, and pass it on to the processor which does everything.
Old 14th January 2013, 13:04   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Yes it certainly will. The processor will take the high level inputs your amp is currently getting, and give out low level inputs to your amps. The stock HU does nothing after the processor, besides read from the CD or whatever, and pass it on to the processor which does everything.
Again, so that's my worry. The more you process the signal, end result will be introducing more noise at every stage, right? This will introduce 3 layers of signal processing- at HU level, dsp level and the amplifier.

With an aftermarket HU, only the amplifier does the job. I believe the end result will be smooth, when compared.

Anyways, need to wait for march bonus for either modifications.

Edit: akshay 1234 and 4587: Confusing.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th January 2013 at 13:08.
Old 14th January 2013, 13:30   #273
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. EDIT : 20k Re

Quote:
Again, so that's my worry. The more you process the signal, end result will be introducing more noise at every stage, right? This will introduce 3 layers of signal processing- at HU level, dsp level and the amplifier.

With an aftermarket HU, only the amplifier does the job. I believe the end result will be smooth, when compared.

Anyways, need to wait for march bonus for either modifications.
I meant it will overcome the shortcomings of the stock HU, and not introduce more noise.

Your stock HU processing will be overwritten by the Processor, I don't understand how the amp is processing anything.

Either way, I've got a processor on my Accord, since I wanted to keep the stock HU. I had my amps connected to high level inputs before the processor and there used to be some noise, after the processor it sounds much, much better. I am using an Alpine processor.
Old 14th January 2013, 13:39   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

I meant it will overcome the shortcomings of the stock HU, and not introduce more noise.

Your stock HU processing will be overwritten by the Processor, I don't understand how the amp is processing anything.

Either way, I've got a processor on my Accord, since I wanted to keep the stock HU. I had my amps connected to high level inputs before the processor and there used to be some noise, after the processor it sounds much, much better. I am using an Alpine processor.
Nice to hear first hand info.

What was the cost of the Alpine? I have a guess that it would still be way ahead of my budget though.

Did you get a demo from any store?
Old 14th January 2013, 13:44   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nice to hear first hand info.

What was the cost of the Alpine? I have a guess that it would still be way ahead of my budget though.

Did you get a demo from any store?
Picked it up for $200. Got a great deal on it off Ebay. Alpine PXE-H650. But I'm sure you will be able to get the JL Cleansweep or similar for under 20k.
Old 14th January 2013, 23:01   #276
Team-BHP Support

4 days after the 25k kms update - the odo now reads close to 26k kms. Took advantage of the extended weekend and had a small visit to bangalore.

This time though - I maintained a speed of 90-100 kmph and got my best highway figure till date! From Richmonds circle, bangalore to Velachery, Chennai - A distance of around 350kms - I got an average FE of 23.5 km/l.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20130114_221014_800.jpg

Can't believe it just returns around 16 - 17 kmpl at 110 - 120 kmph, all thanks to the short 5th gear!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 23:17   #277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This time though - I maintained a speed of 90-100 kmph and got my best highway figure till date! From Richmonds circle, bangalore to Velachery, Chennai - A distance of around 350kms - I got an average FE of 23.5 km/l.
To tell you something, I was getting pretty bad FE figs with my 1.4 TDCi.

Checked the air-pressure & now I ride the torque wave instead of putting my foot down & guess what...? Have done 400kms & the needle isn't at half-way mark still. A pleasant surprise if you ask me. I tend to do ~90kmph with gentle accelerator inputs.

Needless to say, despite doing close to 500kms a day, one doesn't feel fatigued at all.
Old 16th January 2013, 16:28   #278
Senior - BHPian

Just a few days ago we were discussing about head units as you said your volume control knob is busted and voila - Tata managed to spoil my whole HU.

I had gone for service yesterday and one foolish chap was spraying something inside the ac vents, when asked he told it was some ac cleaner and i told him to be careful as the foam was dripping down. As i feared, after the car came out of washing and the HU display was gone, no black lettering, only amber light. As for jugaad, the SA let the heater on full for 15-20 minutes and told me moisture might have entered, the HU buttons were not working and volume controls on steering not working too. Came back home and midway, every thing went fine and all was good but today again i lost all controls

Instead of fighting with Tata and visiting them again, am thinking of a new Pioneer touch screen HU, maybe God wants this . Do let me know if you have anything in mind, am biased towards pioneer.
Old 16th January 2013, 18:35   #279
Senior - BHPian

CD, the volume control behaviour is exactly the same in all Puntos. Do not worry.
Old 16th January 2013, 19:56   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Just a few days ago we were discussing about head units as you said your volume control knob is busted and voila - Tata managed to spoil my whole HU.

I had gone for service yesterday and one foolish chap was spraying something inside the ac vents, when asked he told it was some ac cleaner and i told him to be careful as the foam was dripping down. As i feared, after the car came out of washing and the HU display was gone, no black lettering, only amber light. As for jugaad, the SA let the heater on full for 15-20 minutes and told me moisture might have entered, the HU buttons were not working and volume controls on steering not working too. Came back home and midway, every thing went fine and all was good but today again i lost all controls

Instead of fighting with Tata and visiting them again, am thinking of a new Pioneer touch screen HU, maybe God wants this . Do let me know if you have anything in mind, am biased towards pioneer.
Horrible to say the least. You should take this up with FIAT and see that the people who were careless are taken to task.

On the unit, you cannot mount a double din HU in the Linea. Though the unit looks like a double din, its actually a single din.

Are there single din touch screen HU?
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 18:53   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
On the unit, you cannot mount a double din HU in the Linea. Though the unit looks like a double din, its actually a single din.
Are there single din touch screen HU?
Mailed all the higher ups at FIAT just now, i hope they respond. Used to mail Mr Rajeev Kapoor earlier and get work done in a jiffy but he has left now and his mail doesnt work. The head unit isnt working, only playing music, no buttons beside the volume knob works.

Yes 2 din HU cant be fitted and i dont like the looks of 1 din HU's so gonna stick with the same head unit. Will have to again visit TASS, really hate it.
Old 17th January 2013, 18:55   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mailed all the higher ups at FIAT just now, i hope they respond. Used to mail Mr Rajeev Kapoor earlier and get work done in a jiffy but he has left now and his mail doesnt work. The head unit isnt working, only playing music, no buttons beside the volume knob works.

Yes 2 din HU cant be fitted and i dont like the looks of 1 din HU's so gonna stick with the same head unit. Will have to again visit TASS, really hate it.
I know this should not have happened at the first place. But still would urge you to shoot an email marking Mangesh. He should be able to get things moving quite briskly. Do let me know if you need any help from my side.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 20:16   #283
BHPian

Mangesh is very helpful and will revert in a day. He helped me twice so far in my 10 months of Fiat ownership.
Old 19th January 2013, 02:53   #284
Team-BHP Support

Have been driving this Verito extensively for past 2 weeks. Since both are at same price points and represent two extremes - hoping to do a small comparo with pics soon.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20130106_085837_800.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
CD, the volume control behaviour is exactly the same in all Puntos. Do not worry.
Did not understand! Are you facing the same issue?

Mine was perfectly alright till few weeks back. Now increasing the volume more often than not tends to decrease it by steep margin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Needless to say, despite doing close to 500kms a day, one doesn't feel fatigued at all.
At 90 kmph, my wife got really angry - and asked - why are you driving so slow! I had to reply - I am at 90 dear, and thats fast enough!

Love this speed masking ability of modern cars. My WagonR used to be all over the place at 100 km/h.
Quote:

Sorry you had to face such trouble because of FIAT A.S.S. I am trying to get an anointment for the HU issue. Seems they are busy shifting to new FIAT only facility (just my guess).

I know i will be ruining the looks with an aftermarket 1-DIN HU, but i really can't live with the poor quality HU anymore. My next bonus is going through this drain for sure.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 06:50   #285
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, the behaviour is the same in my 75HP and also the new 90HP.

I feel the volume knob works that way, at a certain angle when we want to increase the volume, it rapidly goes to zero, exact thing happens in both our Puntos. Try placing your fingers at right angles to the knob and turn it, this wont happen, this is my observation.

Most Viewed