Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2017, 14:08   #661
Team-BHP Support

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Next time when they put a sticker, just take a print out of bill saying advertising charge of Rs 10,00,000. . You won't be bothered afterwards.
Problem is that these guys keep changing. So if you decide to teach them a lesson - need to dedicate time after each service for this.

Bought a pack of Gillette traditional single blade that I haven't seen after the death of the traditional single blade razors. And kept it for such emergencies. Easy to remove it with the blades after a car wash.

Quote:
Brake pads replacement at roughly 35k km in your case. Does this figure vary on highways and city?
Earlier my usage used to be a lot of highway runs, but those are few and far in between these days.

Quote:
My punto primarily does highway driving and the SA has said the first change should be at 45k km. The Abarth has done 34k as of now.
Don't really trust the service advisors about brake pad life. Everytime I ask them about it - they seem to give the opinion that only 2k kms of running is left. 2k kms when I ask them at 20k interval, same 2k kms when I asked them at 30k interval and just the same 2k kms when I asked them before finally changing at 38k kms.

Quote:
Regarding oil changes, I have a feeling that changing it at 10k km makes sense.

Would you recommend a 10k interval or something like 7.5k for the Tjet? Car is 1.5 years old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The petrol engines use full synthetic oil and it should be good enough for 10K kms. So the 10K kms interval may coincide with the 1 year interval as well. No harm changing it at 10K kms, for MJD, 8k kms is more like it.
Totally agree with KP. 10k kms interval should be fine, with the only issue that it messes up the company recommended intervals.

Just make a note of the 60k service which is a major one. The others can be rearranged to 10k intervals without an issue. Due to the pollution around, parts like air filter will also be crying for a replacement at the 10k mark, if not earlier.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 18:56   #662
BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Don't really trust the service advisors about brake pad life. Everytime I ask them about it - they seem to give the opinion that only 2k kms of running is left. 2k kms when I ask them at 20k interval, same 2k kms when I asked them at 30k interval and just the same 2k kms when I asked them before finally changing at 38k kms.

Totally agree with KP. 10k kms interval should be fine, with the only issue that it messes up the company recommended intervals.

Just make a note of the 60k service which is a major one. The others can be rearranged to 10k intervals without an issue. Due to the pollution around, parts like air filter will also be crying for a replacement at the 10k mark, if not earlier.
The same 2K story here as well, every time I ask for breakpads 2-3K max. This happens across brands I guess, Even the Toyota SA used to give the same answer for the Liva. Maybe they calculate with the Thickness left in the pads.

Regarding the Oil change I agree with both, the car feels out of shape post 7K kms on the stock oil, I do an additional oil change at every 7.5K kms, and that feels much better. extra 3K expense but atleast you know you are burning it in there.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 19:02   #663
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
The same 2K story here as well, every time I ask for breakpads 2-3K max. This happens across brands I guess, Even the Toyota SA used to give the same answer for the Liva. Maybe they calculate with the Thickness left in the pads.
Viva Toyota near airport gives the exact depth of the pads left, as I've seen with multiple visits. Wish that practice was implemented across brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Regarding the Oil change I agree with both, the car feels out of shape post 7K kms on the stock oil, I do an additional oil change at every 7.5K kms, and that feels much better. extra 3K expense but atleast you know you are burning it in there.
Used to follow the 7.5k interval earlier just to keep the service intervals unaffected during the warranty period, but I've switched to 10k intervals ever since crossing the 100k mark.

Regarding the feeling of the car being out of shape - the primary culprit could be the air filter rather than the engine oil.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 08:13   #664
Team-BHP Support

Does it make sense to go for zero dep insurance for the 7th year?

Premium amount comes to an eye watering 14.8k for an IDV of 4.12L.

PS - Opinions about insurance will vary depending on the cash backup in hand. Hence should clarify that I'm not a person to have cash backup reserves incase something goes wrong.
Old 26th December 2017, 10:33   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Good that you're even getting a zero dep offer on 7th year. A friend of mine was looking for zero dep for his 5 year old Duster, but was denied by most of the companies. Can you please share the name of IP?
Old 26th December 2017, 23:22   #666
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
Good that you're even getting a zero dep offer on 7th year. A friend of mine was looking for zero dep for his 5 year old Duster, but was denied by most of the companies. Can you please share the name of IP?
Royal Sundaram.

However, as far as i know - they offer it for the 5th year and beyond only if you're an existing zero-dep policy holder.
Old 27th December 2017, 00:10   #667
BHPian

Quote:

PS - Opinions about insurance will vary depending on the cash backup in hand. Hence should clarify that I'm not a person to have cash backup reserves incase something goes wrong.
If you have the cash go for it. I took zero dep insurance till 6th year for my Figo just for the peace of mind.
Old 28th December 2017, 23:03   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You can ask them to reduce the premium by bringing down the IDV. In my opinion, 4.12L is on the higher side for a Punto in its 7th year.
Old 31st December 2017, 04:07   #669
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
If you have the cash go for it. I took zero dep insurance till 6th year for my Figo just for the peace of mind.
Peace of mind is the biggest factor. True. But even in the worst case scenario - Insurance will only pay upto the IDV value of 4.12L. Not enough to even buy an Alto.

So wondering if there is a peace of mind in all this. Makes sense when claiming for minor accidents though - but will be claiming only in cases where the claim amount is more than the loss in NCB (50%).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
You can ask them to reduce the premium by bringing down the IDV. In my opinion, 4.12L is on the higher side for a Punto in its 7th year.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting a zero dep NCB? Or should just get the lowest comprehensive insurance from a reliable vendor and save some money instead.
Old 31st December 2017, 13:10   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Peace of mind is the biggest factor. True. But even in the worst case scenario - Insurance will only pay upto the IDV value of 4.12L. Not enough to even buy an Alto.

So wondering if there is a peace of mind in all this. Makes sense when claiming for minor accidents though - but will be claiming only in cases where the claim amount is more than the loss in NCB (50%).

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of getting a zero dep NCB? Or should just get the lowest comprehensive insurance from a reliable vendor and save some money instead.
Considering the resale value of Fiat, there is no guarantee that you will get the full IDV in case of any unfortunate incident. Especially 4.12L is really on the higher side for a Punto at 7Y and 1.55L on the ODO. Normally bringing down the IDV means, the premium will reduce as well. For 4th year Zero Dep, I paid 15K. IDV was around 5.7L. I am yet to get the quote for 5th year which is due in January.
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:57   #671
Team-BHP Support

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-screenshot_20180102092707.png

Looks like the 160k service will turn out to be very expensive, thanks to the radiator fan.

Why a radiator fan? Thats a topic pending to write from quite some time. Need to sit down in front of the system and pen it down soon.

Quote:
Considering the resale value of Fiat, there is no guarantee that you will get the full IDV in case of any unfortunate incident. Especially 4.12L is really on the higher side for a Punto at 7Y and 1.55L on the ODO. Normally bringing down the IDV means, the premium will reduce as well. For 4th year Zero Dep, I paid 15K. IDV was around 5.7L. I am yet to get the quote for 5th year which is due in January.
I guess i would finally go with a normal comprehensive policy from Oriental or New India - the kind of organisations that tend to pay even though they have cumbersome processes involved.

So less premium, and some peace of mind in case things go wrong.
Old 27th February 2018, 19:49   #672
Team-BHP Support

Going to start the 7th year of ownership soon, and Royal Sundaram reminded me of that by sending a big atrocious quote of 14.8k for an IDV of 4.15L, depreciation cover included. So finally after five years, I've finally part ways with Royal Sundaram Insurance.

Oriental Insurance offered 9.9k for an IDV of 3.9L and depreciation cover included.

Next up -

1. 160k service.
2. Tyre Change.
Old 28th February 2018, 09:42   #673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Going to start the 7th year of ownership soon, and Royal Sundaram reminded me of that by sending a big atrocious quote of 14.8k for an IDV of 4.15L, depreciation cover included. So finally after five years, I've finally part ways with Royal Sundaram Insurance.
Strange. I got a lower quote for 5th year from them, they offered me at 14K / IDV of 5.19L with zero depreciation cover. Without zero depreciation it was 8K+. So, I moved from Future generali to Royal Sundaram.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 17:23   #674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Strange. I got a lower quote for 5th year from them, they offered me at 14K / IDV of 5.19L with zero depreciation cover. Without zero depreciation it was 8K+. So, I moved from Future generali to Royal Sundaram.
I've noticed this earlier also.

Offers for new customers are lower than the quotes they provide existing customers. Once I told them I'm not renewing - they were willing to negotiate, but I had already decided not to.
Old 28th February 2018, 22:14   #675
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've noticed this earlier also.

Offers for new customers are lower than the quotes they provide existing customers. Once I told them I'm not renewing - they were willing to negotiate, but I had already decided not to.
It was pretty much the same experience with me too. Royal Sundaram was expense compared to SBI General Insurance. After a good 4 years, I switched from Royal Sundaram.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed