Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 08:20   #751
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thanks guys. Meanwhile, I'm keeping the battery for charging overnight.

Another thing i noticed - rpm was slightly and noticeably higher than usual at around 1100rpm. Wondering if its the ECU trying to compensate for the detected battery drain, or if the alternator belt snapped or something reducing normal expected load.

Currently out of home again. Will go back and check these in the morning.

Thanks again.
I faced the same symptom during the alternator issue, idle RPM went little above 1000 and it was same across all gears, slightly above normal RPM. Along with alternator, ground cable was replaced as well as it had a cut.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 13:55   #752
Team-BHP Support

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Along with alternator, ground cable was replaced as well as it had a cut.
Right sir, same issue - so car is out of action for a couple of days waiting for spares.
Old 11th December 2018, 19:52   #753
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
car is out of action for a couple of days waiting for spares.
And it's that time of the year when friends and family question the sanity of not changing to a new car, and I've been explaining to everyone that it hardly makes any financial sense.

Still wondering if a Tigor JTP under company lease plan makes sense at this point.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th December 2018 at 20:02.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 09:05   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And it's that time of the year when friends and family question the sanity of not changing to a new car, and I've been explaining to everyone that it hardly makes any financial sense.

Still wondering if a Tigor JTP under company lease plan makes sense at this point.
Not considering Harrier? Asking since you had showed interest in Compass before.
Old 12th December 2018, 09:49   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
TATA Harrier all the way. Do give it a thought. But mind you, do not depend one bit on the resale value of the old lady.
Old 13th December 2018, 09:06   #756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not considering Harrier? Asking since you had showed interest in Compass before.
Compass had me excited because of the base Sport variant which had all essential and safety features as standard. Things like alloy wheel and infotainment could be customized later. In comparison, Harrier XE and XM are absolute barebones - base variant doesn't even get any colour choices - only white!

My mindset has changed over the last year though - with the bike being for fun and the car more for utility. Spending that much budget (out of my limited affordability on the car) feels strange now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
TATA Harrier all the way. Do give it a thought.
I'm not so excited about it and thereby confident how the market will respond - but a LOT will depend on the pricing. Keeping an eye out anyways.

No need to convince her - there's a lion embossed in the headlamp cluster. Its pre-approved anyways!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th December 2018 at 09:30.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 08:22   #757
Senior - BHPian

@CD

I wanted to replace battery on my Punto. Which make are you using on your car?

Last time I replaced, I went with stock. However the battery lasted only 2 years and already showed signs of weakening sometime after one year!!
Old 20th December 2018, 08:54   #758
Team-BHP Support

Update - Alternator is yet to arrive, so the car is still out of service - hopefully should be ready by 24th, when I reach Bangalore back after an extended weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
@CD
I wanted to replace battery on my Punto. Which make are you using on your car?
I'm using my second Amaron Flo, as per general recommendation in the forum - though it is yet to prove itself better than the stock Exide. Had replaced both the stock Exide and the next Amaron with 64k kms of service each.

Bought a Bosch C3 battery charger last week, so I might push my luck a bit more with the current battery.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_20181210_121433.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 23:05   #759
Team-BHP Support

After a gap of two weeks and two days, the first time since ownership - the car is back in service.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_20181225_100208_1600.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-screenshot-20181226-11.04.04-pm.png

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-screenshot-20181226-11.04.19-pm.png

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-screenshot-20181226-11.04.36-pm.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 23:11   #760
Team-BHP Support

And the next issue!

Both the low beams died on me together, but high beam is working. Since it's an upgraded 100/90 setup with a relay - I'm guessing the relay could be the culprit.

But not sure how low beam is conked off and high beam is working if it's relay issue.
Old 29th December 2018, 23:28   #761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And the next issue!

Both the low beams died on me together, but high beam is working. Since it's an upgraded 100/90 setup with a relay - I'm guessing the relay could be the culprit.

But not sure how low beam is conked off and high beam is working if it's relay issue.
It could be the fuse too. Do check the fuses with the relay wiring kit, both low beams conking together is rare.
Old 30th December 2018, 02:32   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the next issue!

I’m a new dad in town and up until wee hours usually. So was reading through the entire log of this thread and I’m mighty impressed Crazy Driver!

Your log is absolutely comprehensive. It’s sad Fiat didn’t bother to stay current with market changes and left this steed to dry and rot with the same old design and elements from a decade. I still remember seeing Punto (not 90) for the first time during my college days. It gave you the sense of sturdy feel at first glance and weighed a lot more than any car in that segment did back then.

I still wonder as to why few manufacturers go blind with their products after few years. The only functional and juicy update was in the form of 90HP. I initially thought it would give a tough challenge to Swift. But Swift was & is still the masterpiece in the segment it’s placed in!

Anyways, it’s really a wonderful journey of 1.7L with your car and it still seems new on the exterior.

Why don’t you go for a retro projector installation which should be a better add on to your car if you travel in the night? Just a suggestion.

Thanks
Guru
Old 30th December 2018, 08:59   #763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And the next issue!

I had faced this same issue too, both low beam conked off simultaneously. In my case it was not the relay kit, just bad luck.

Quote:

3) Update on the 100/90 bulbs:

During my last trip, both the low beam bulbs conked off simultaneously. So, fitted the stock bulbs for time being.
Old 30th December 2018, 09:22   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And the next issue!

Try this CD.

From the relay kit you will notice 2 30A Fuses. Swap them and then see if Low beams work and high don't. If so, it's the fuse. Buy it and install it yourself.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2018, 17:34   #765
Team-BHP Support

Sorry guys, recovering from a fever! Will check all the above possibilities and reply in a couple of days!

Thank you and Happy new Year 2019.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed