Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2020, 15:09   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Well I will keep it till it starts falling apart ..
I'll try to procure FCA kit ,please do suggest ways to get it.
Please get the FCA kit only.

Spoke to my service advisor. This should be readily available barring for logistical delays due to the current situation. He also said that only the part number of the chain is different compared to the older kit. This on will last 90,000 km while earlier it was 60,000 km.

Let me know if you want the exact part number, I could request my service advisor to share details of it.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 21:10   #857
BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post

Spoke to my service advisor. This should be readily available barring for logistical delays due to the current situation. He also said that only the part number of the chain is different compared to the older kit. This on will last 90,000 km while earlier it was 60,000 km.

Let me know if you want the exact part number, I could request my service advisor to share details of it.
It would really be great help if you provide me with part number of timing kit .I tried getting it from 99rpm but got the impression that they are providing the old timing kit .Now the only viable option would be to directly get it from fiat/jeep authorised dealers .

Last edited by blueblooded : 26th June 2020 at 21:15. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 30th June 2020, 11:00   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The ones available in Tata is the normal ones and the refreshed one which runs for 90k kms interval. So get the FCA one and replace it. Else use TATA ones and change at 50k or 60k kms interval.

If you can source FCA one nothing like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It is best to get the FIAT kit - the updated design (was changed sometime in 2018 IIRC) which allows for better lubrication of the chain. This was done to resolve some of the issues with timing chain in the earlier batch of 90HP Multijets.

I'm not familiar which version TATA comes with - will try to check and update.

Edit - Looks like Krishna has clarified regarding the TATA one. Skip it and get the FIAT design if you plan to retain the car for 50k kms or more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Contact nearby FASS for over the counter spares? Or 99rpm to the rescue.
Get your mechanic to inspect the water pump too. If needed change it along with this repair. I had mine leaking at 80k odo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post

I am attaching details of timing chain available on 99 rpm for linea mjd .The FASS in and around varanasi dont have timing kit as of now .
Please suggest should I procure it from 99 rpm and timing chain replaced
I own 2016 fiat avventura 1.3 mjd emotion with odo reading of 90750kms
Attached Thumbnails
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-screenshot_20200630104843_chrome.jpg  

Last edited by blueblooded : 30th June 2020 at 11:02. Reason: augmenting
Old 30th June 2020, 11:09   #859
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
Please suggest should I procure it from 99 rpm and timing chain replaced
I don't have the part number handy as I'm currently out of station. From my earlier posts - the cost for the previous chain was 890/- and the new one was 2490/- but these figure are outdated and might have changed.

Hopefully blackwasp or nkrishnap can provide the details soon.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:34   #860
Team-BHP Support

Quarantine with Punto - Part 3.

Was able to kick off a long pending item from the checklist today - 1.94L kms of dust, dirt and grime cleaned from the engine bay area.

Now - this was done without access to a pressure wash, hence the job isn't really as perfect as I want it to be - but that will be at a later stage, along with the underbody wash.

Underside of the bonnet before cleaning started. Although I've tried to keep the car clean and polished whenever possible - I realize I've been rather negligent when it comes to the engine bay. Thanks to the GG thread for knocking some sense into me!
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20200703_125221.jpg

The engine bay area! Plastic covering for the windshield washer because I've been waiting forever to get the item from Ali Express and now it doesn't seem probable.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20200703_125202.jpg

Closer look at all the dirt. Age and usage shows - maybe the diesel engine doesn't help much either.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20200703_125137.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20200703_082652.jpg

A few hours later. Half way done -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20200703_125114.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20200703_125036.jpg

A few more hours later. First stage of engine cleaning completed -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20200703_124847.jpg

Temporary cap for the windshield washer reservoir. Fits very tight, but wondering how to ensure it doesnt fly off in the worst of scenarios.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20200703_124832.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20200703_124958.jpg

Pending work -
1. Vacuum cleaning
2. Underbody cleaning (Will need to go to the shop and hence after the quarantine).
3. Engine bay cleaning (Stage 2)
4. Polish and Wax.
5. Thorough cleaning of areas around the boot, door sills etc.
6. Fix the radiator lower hose (Service centre later).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd July 2020 at 13:39.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 14:38   #861
Team-BHP Support

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20200715_084222.jpg

Caught me off-guard! Battery was fully charged on 22nd last month, the car was used for a hospital visit last Friday and then started for ~10 minutes on Tuesday - but this happened by Sunday when I was trying to charge the battery.

Now Bosch C3 charger is not detecting (It is supposed to do so only below 6 volts) and shops are all closed due to the district level lockdown.

Will need to get the charging done from shop and also try to disconnect the amplifiers (I'm hoping one of them turns out to be the culprit) one-by-one and troubleshoot this battery drain issue - which seems to be getting worse now.
Old 16th July 2020, 14:45   #862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Caught me off-guard! Battery was fully charged on 22nd last month, the car was used for a hospital visit last Friday and then started for ~10 minutes on Tuesday - but this happened by Sunday when I was trying to charge the battery.

Now Bosch C3 charger is not detecting (It is supposed to do so only below 6 volts) and shops are all closed due to the district level lockdown.

Will need to get the charging done from shop and also try to disconnect the amplifiers (I'm hoping one of them turns out to be the culprit) one-by-one and troubleshoot this battery drain issue - which seems to be getting worse now.
Disconnect the Blue n Me socket. The same used to happen with my Linea and my cousin's Punto. Disconnecting it solved the issue for both the cars. Amps if wired correctly cannot be the culprit. Did a lot of trials to figure out which one was the culprit. Since you have more or less a very similar set up, it should solve the brain drain issue.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 09:17   #863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Disconnect the Blue n Me socket.
Thanks KP. IIRC - It was disconnected long back during the Basappa investigations. However, will cross-check once again over the weekend.
Old 17th July 2020, 12:59   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is idiotic logic by C3. I recently came across a battery where its voltage was ~5V, completely dead, and the C7 failed to even recognise it. I used the power supply mode of the C7 to give some 12.X voltage across it for 2 minutes minutes, there was some improvement in terminal voltage of the battery for some time, enough for me to change modes and the C7 recognised it to be a battery and resumed charging.

There should be a manual override for such dumb chargers.
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 13:14   #865
Distinguished - BHPian

Try adding a power supply or another 12v battery in parallel to this battery while connecting to the C3. C3 doesn’t detect a 12v battery as a 12v one if the voltage drops below 8v. If it does, as in your case, it will detect it as a 6V battery and will display ‘OK’. Quite idiotic for a so called smart charger. But with this workaround, if once the charger detects it as a 12v battery, proper charging will begin. That will solve your problem.

That is why, I think we need one dumb old school charger for such emergencies.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 13:31   #866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks KP. IIRC - It was disconnected long back during the Basappa investigations. However, will cross-check once again over the weekend.
There are two cables, both have to be disconnected. Probably it was reconnect when the AC Pollen filter was replaced.

If you have the small tool kit, you can do it. I will WhatsApp you later in the day today.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 09:25   #867
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
There should be a manual override for such dumb chargers.
Thanks Shashi. C3 doesn't have a manual override.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
C3 doesn’t detect a 12v battery as a 12v one if the voltage drops below 8v.

That is why, I think we need one dumb old school charger for such emergencies.
Thanks Saket. As per the documentation, it should not have detected below 6v, but 8v sound more realistic as per what just happened.

However, just leaving the battery disconnected for three days seem to have worked. Today morning when I checked - some charge seems to have accumulated - enough for the Bosch to detect it, although it took some time and I was about to lose hope once again when it suddenly switched modes and started charging.

Left it for charging now.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20200718_090114.jpg

Quote:
There are two cables, both have to be disconnected. Probably it was reconnect when the AC Pollen filter was replaced.

If you have the small tool kit, you can do it. I will WhatsApp you later in the day today.
Thanks KP. Let me check later today. Need to charge and take the car out before I can open the passenger door properly.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th July 2020 at 09:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 10:04   #868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As per the documentation, it should not have detected below 6v, but 8v sound more realistic as per what just happened.

However, just leaving the battery disconnected for three days seem to have worked. Today morning when I checked - some charge seems to have accumulated - enough for the Bosch to detect it, although it took some time and I was about to lose hope once again when it suddenly switched modes and started charging.

Left it for charging.
Glad that it’s charging now. The surface charge seems to have done the trick here. The manual vaguely mentions what the charger does to charge the battery if it falls to voltages between 8V and 10.5V but there’s no word for voltages less than 8V. This prompts me to think that it will not detect a 12V battery in that case.

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-d327a4df8c8149149fadb47dc5d228ab.jpeg  

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th July 2020 at 14:08. Reason: As requested
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 10:32   #869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Yesterday I disconnected the charger by evening when the battery was showing 12.58 volts and today morning the car didn't start with the battery showing 11.4x. Left it for a full charge again, this time till trickle completes.

You're right. Blue&Me primary socket was connected - most probably after pollen filter service like you mentioned. To be on the safe side - I removed the whole thing. Hopefully that solves the issue.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20200719_101300.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Glad that it’s charging now. The surface charge seems to have done the trick here. The manual vaguely mentions what the charger does to charge the battery if it falls to voltages between 8V and 10.5V but there’s no word for voltages less than 8V. This prompts me to think that it will not detect a 12V battery in that case.

Regards.
Thanks Saket.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 15:20   #870
BHPian

Hi CrAzY dRiVeR,

Need your inputs/suggestions on something I've noticed in my Punto recently. What better place than one of the most comprehensive and long term thread of Punto 90HP

I have a Evo-90HP. Of late I've noticed that my car is taking 200 rpm more to reach 100 in 5th gear. I can clearly remember that the car would do 100 @2500 in 5th gear but now the same speed is being achieved at 2700 rpm.

There are absolutely no other issues like loss of power, clutch slipping. I fact, I wouldn't have known had I not checked the MID. The current odo is 43K, I don't feel that it's a clutch issue. have you faced something similar in your ownership?

Last edited by Moto_Hill : 21st July 2020 at 15:22.

Most Viewed