Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2012, 14:56   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Quote:
How to supply power from the solid4 to 4 speakers and a sub? If I connect rear speakers to the (weak) HU, won't they be completely overpowered?
Not really. There will be a few dB difference. I'm running on my comps off my HU, and just the sub off the amp. The sub will overpower the rears regardless of whether they are driven off an amp or not. Deciding on what level to set for your sub depends on your rear seat passengers. If they are your perpetually headached parents, you'd need to run your sub level low. If they are freeloading classmates or colleagues, then it's your way all the way
also if rears are not a priority, you really dont need to match the rears to the fronts. Any half decent coax should do
Quote:
Audison SLI.
Focal Solid 4.
Doesn't the Solid 4 have High level inputs already ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 3rd June 2012 at 15:01.
Old 3rd June 2012, 23:58   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Noob alert: How to supply power from the solid4 to 4 speakers and a sub? If I connect rear speakers to the (weak) HU, won't they be completely overpowered?
Note that the HU in Punto is not bad. It is the speakers which are a total crap. Good rear speakers which is driven by the stock HU will also be good. I have heard the audio setup in one Linea where only the speakers were changed (front components and rear co-ax) and surprisingly the output was really good.
Old 4th June 2012, 09:43   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
If they are freeloading classmates or colleagues, then it's your way all the way
I like the tight bass, not boomy.

With that in mind - which amp would be a better choice? Got a qoute for an Infinity sub (forgot model number. ) at 5.5k, and Focal Access at 7k. A member recommended MB Quart but they seem to be out of stock at the place I called up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Doesn't the Solid 4 have High level inputs already ?
I was under the impressions that Audison SLI could do more (I guess I had the JBL MS8 kind of thing in mind) than just high to low conversion. After a bit of reading - I think Solid4 will do just fine. Thats 3.5k saved! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Note that the HU in Punto is not bad. It is the speakers which are a total crap. Good rear speakers which is driven by the stock HU will also be good. I have heard the audio setup in one Linea where only the speakers were changed (front components and rear co-ax) and surprisingly the output was really good.
Trying to read through threads to find out how the amp has been connected in models with blue&me. Too many threads telling about how the amp wont turn off even when the HU does.

Did you get that MB Quart sub from Powerzone itself?
Old 4th June 2012, 09:49   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Trying to read through threads to find out how the amp has been connected in models with blue&me. Too many threads telling about how the amp wont turn off even when the HU does.

Did you get that MB Quart sub from Powerzone itself?
Focal Solid4 is one of the amp where the power will be automatically switched off when the HU is also off. Ask to Saravana for the connections. He will explain you clearly how it is done.

Yes. I got the MB Quart from Powerzone.
Old 4th June 2012, 12:42   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda

Focal Solid4 is one of the amp where the power will be automatically switched off when the HU is also off. Ask to Saravana for the connections. He will explain you clearly how it is done.

Yes. I got the MB Quart from Powerzone.
Thank you. Will speak to Saravana and then decide.

I'll be getting the amp + focals from hiresh, gp road. Will get the rest of the stuff and install done from powerzone.
Old 4th June 2012, 16:20   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I like the tight bass, not boomy.
Playing around with the sub gains alone will not make make the bass tight or boomy. However, what you CAN do is set the crossover point low (somewhere around 60Hz) so that the punchy bass (70ish hz goes to the main speakers which are a bit tighter. Of course, make sure they can manage (and set your fader so that the rears dont get overwhelmed). Tuning the setup is a looong process. I'd love to see/ hear your setup sometime. In tvm or chennai
Quote:
With that in mind - which amp would be a better choice? Got a qoute for an Infinity sub (forgot model number. ) at 5.5k, and Focal Access at 7k. A member recommended MB Quart but they seem to be out of stock at the place I called up.
In my opinion, most class AB amps are commodities (at least to my ears) I would go by spec and features alone. The speakers of course, I would pick after listening.
Quote:
I was under the impressions that Audison SLI could do more (I guess I had the JBL MS8 kind of thing in mind) than just high to low conversion. After a bit of reading - I think Solid4 will do just fine. Thats 3.5k saved! Thanks!
One more word of caution - the high level inputs use molex connectors, and odds are that the matching harness would not be included with the box. Given that they are molex connectors, a dead computer PSU and some jugaad with a blade should give you the connectors you need.
Old 4th June 2012, 16:45   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
Playing around with the sub gains alone will not make make the bass tight or boomy. However, what you CAN do is set the crossover point low (somewhere around 60Hz) so that the punchy bass (70ish hz goes to the main speakers which are a bit tighter. Of course, make sure they can manage (and set your fader so that the rears dont get overwhelmed). Tuning the setup is a looong process. I'd love to see/ hear your setup sometime. In tvm or chennai

In my opinion, most class AB amps are commodities (at least to my ears) I would go by spec and features alone. The speakers of course, I would pick after listening.

One more word of caution - the high level inputs use molex connectors, and odds are that the matching harness would not be included with the box. Given that they are molex connectors, a dead computer PSU and some jugaad with a blade should give you the connectors you need.
I'm not able to decide on the sub yet. I never liked it too much anyways. I guess it'll be better to do as a stage-2.
Old 5th June 2012, 15:17   #128
Team-BHP Support

Had a long conversation with Saravana today. After 1.5 hours, all existing roles were thrown out and new players brought in.

Here is the setup he recommended. Heard the MFs in action, and they seem brilliant. Please see if this setup is better than the earlier focals install.

Front- PHP audiophile sound systems MF 6.2
Rear- PHP FB co- ax.
Amp- DLS. Got speaker level input with auto turn on.
Sub- JBL GTO 8inch with sealed enclosure. Didn't get model numbers.

Why 8? Because I need tight bass without bass making its presence too obvious. And the GTO kicks real tight and hard.

Installation booked for this Friday.
Old 5th June 2012, 15:23   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Had a long conversation with Saravana today. After 1.5 hours, all existing roles were thrown out and new players brought in.

Here is the setup he recommended. Heard the MFs in action, and they seem brilliant. Please see if this setup is better than the earlier focals install.

Front- PHP audiophile sound systems MF 6.2
Rear- PHP FB co- ax.
Amp- DLS. Got speaker level input with auto turn on.
Sub- JBL GTO 8inch with sealed enclosure. Didn't get model numbers.

Why 8? Because I need tight bass without bass making its presence too obvious. And the GTO kicks real tight and hard.

Installation booked for this Friday.
Those are PHDs. Italian beauties that perfectly belnd with awesome midbass. I will suggest you throw away the OE HU but all your steering controls will be lost along with blue&me. But you can always opt for an aftermarket adapter to get this working but it is expensive.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:24   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX

Those are PHDs. Italian beauties that perfectly belnd with awesome midbass. I will suggest you throw away the OE HU but all your steering controls will be lost along with blue&me. But you can always opt for an aftermarket adapter to get this working but it is expensive.
Oops. Yes. PHD. Italian speakers for an Italian car. This is what happens when you quickly key in updates on the way to office.

By the way, Saravana is running on a cheap Chinese HU now. The clarion has been removed- just to show that the speakers make the package, when worked on and tuned right ofcourse. I'll wait and see how the current setup turns out. HU can be changed as stage 2, if needed.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th June 2012 at 16:32.
Old 5th June 2012, 16:47   #131
BHPian

yeap, know that saravana has some el chepo chinese HU that is worth just 1000 rs. Do post pics of your install once it is done this friday
Old 5th June 2012, 21:23   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX
yeap, know that saravana has some el chepo chinese HU that is worth just 1000 rs. Do post pics of your install once it is done this friday
Yesterday night, read quite a lot about his installs on another forum which you are aware of. Brilliant. Even with that hu - they were excellent today. He is also running MF 6.2 upfront and I really liked the clarity of each and every note it produced. Though I wanted to hear what an active setup sounded like, current setup was more realistic to us end customers.

Sad to see our ICE section lagging behind a bit.
Old 5th June 2012, 21:36   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday night, read quite a lot about his installs on another forum which you are aware of. Brilliant. Even with that hu - they were excellent today. He is also running MF 6.2 upfront and I really liked the clarity of each and every note it produced. Though I wanted to hear what an active setup sounded like, current setup was more realistic to us end customers.

Sad to see our ICE section lagging behind a bit.
well active setup is one beautiful concept but if dont learn to appreciate it then money spent is as good as money down the drain. Passive setups are the way to go for most people as SQ is easy to achieve with minimal budget.

I would say MF 6.3 is good and has wonderful midbass. most of the products in PHD line of products are just as good as other top-of-the-line audiophine products.

I suggest you tell saravana what kinda music you listen to as he will suggest the right configuration for install. If you have already discussed, dont worry much. Keep us posted.
Old 5th June 2012, 22:45   #134
Team-BHP Support

@ All: If anyone who read the previous two pages are wondering at this point why I moved away from focal poly glass, its because the PHD's are said to be lot better at mid bass- whereas poly glass has brilliant mid range.

I'm counting on the mid bass to compliment the small GTO to produce tight but strong bass without interfering or overwhelming the rest of it.

On other news- car completed 8000 kms today, almost nearing 3 months of ownership.
Old 6th June 2012, 09:10   #135
Senior - BHPian

@CD: good choice of components. Going for a speaker with good midbass does gives you an upper edge for getting that 'tight bass'. If possible, try to get an audition of Rainbow kickbass components.

Do take a lot of pictures (more the merrier) and share them with us

Most Viewed