Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2012, 16:45   #16
BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

That is an impressive and exhaustive ownership thread! Probably need to read it twice to gather all the information!

The Punto is one of my favorite cars and the hatchback I would buy it was in my budget.

I wish you a brilliant journey with and in it!!
Old 29th April 2012, 17:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

One of the best ownership review in recent times, pretty exhaustive, covered all aspects and shows how badly you are in love with the Punto and you are a pro photographer.

The Swift impresses easily, its a good car, slot into 3rd, bury the accelerator and the acceleration once turbo kicks in is enough reason for a few people to book it right there, the punto on the other hand provides a fantastic driving feel, it lacks on power (can be fixed with a petes or race dynamics an year down the line) but it will definitely provide one of the best driving experience.

One of my friend has a Rapid and was reading the "best steering feedback thread" and asked me whats so special that all say Linea/Punto, it was only after driving my Linea that he understood what feedback is, its just the best with FIATs.
coolboy007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 17:59   #18
BANNED

It is indeed very nice write up as I was hooked to it more then blasting Shehwag.
True Coolboy007, best ownership review and very honest one at that in recent times.
If you can stand little niggles in the car then you will enjoy it much more rather getting angry over it.
Happy miles and smiles in time to come.
Old 29th April 2012, 18:23   #19
BHPian

Brilliant and exhaustive review you have put up of the GP90. I am in the same dilemma choosing between the new i20 CRDi Sportz, Swift ZDi and the GP90. i20 is giving me goosebumps about the high maintenance costs, Swift - lack of space (have been pampered by the Getz on this front) and the GP90 is yet to be checked out. This review gave me a good first hand prospective of the GP90. Will definitely subscribe to this thread and read more about the ownership point of view.

Need to sell my Getz first and then should be able to decide on one amongst these three.

Last but not the least, wish you a happy married life my friend!!!

Cheers
Old 29th April 2012, 18:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hey Crazydriver, congrats for having acquired your 'TurboKat'. And a fantastic write up there. It was more of a journey rather than a car buying process for you, looking at the exhaustive list of car you had in mind (You even got married during the process! ) Good that you have made the best choice. The Punto 90HP has the looks, features, performance and the FTD factor to keep you entertained for years together.
Wishing you many happy miles and a very Happy Married life too Bro
Old 29th April 2012, 18:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Man, what an review, just awesome. Thank you so much for your time and effort in penning this down. Easily the best review for punto on this forum, very honest, unbiased and elaborate, complimented with great set of pictures. I'm rating this thread a very well deserved 5 stars.

I was following your posts on the choice of new car and was one of those who were surprised and just couldnt beleive when you said you had booked the punto, after all the initial apprehensions you had about fiat. But I'mvery happy for you at the end of the day, you seem to be happy and enjoying your ownership experience and thats what ultimately matters at the end of the day.

Wishing you miles and miles of pleasant and memorable ownership experience.
Old 29th April 2012, 18:44   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

An excellent review & the first impressions report here. Simply straight from the heart. The Punto 90HP is a great all rounder and congrats on buying it. The 90 HP VGT is a FTD engine.

Few Questions (Apologies if they are already mentioned in the review and have missed them)

#1: What was the on road price? Any discounts on 90HP?

#2: Have FIAT worked on the turning radius of the punto? How do you find it, considering a small turning radius was one of your requirements.

Again, wishing you many many happy miles with the punto
Old 29th April 2012, 18:52   #23
BHPian

A lively & honest narration of one of my favourite car. I tend to feel that it's too beautiful to run in Chennai's aggressive rush hour traffic.

You mentioned about low seating stance. Since your parents use a WagonR, what do they feel about the ingress/egress in Punto?

Happy married life!
Old 29th April 2012, 19:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
#1: What was the on road price? Any discounts on 90HP?

#2: Have FIAT worked on the turning radius of the punto? How do you find it, considering a small turning radius was one of your requirements.
Let me jump in and answer you.

#1: Crazy Biker got it for 7.93 L INR, discounts and freebies included. Keep in mind that this is the pre-budget price.

#2: Yes, the 2012 models have a 5m turning radius, as opposed to the 5.4m of the older one/ 2012 Linea. 5m is very much in league of other hatchbacks.

Crazy Biker, congrats on the Punto 90 HP. Get the rattles sorted out on her next visit to the service station. I do not get what's with 2012 Puntos and front LH door rattles!

BTW, your mileage figures say 19-20 kmpl within city. Is it a typo? I manage 14-15 kmpl with our 75HP one, in peak traffic though.
Old 29th April 2012, 19:09   #25
BHPian

very nice writeup and congratulations on your new car.
every Grande Punto 90 review I read, my mind drifts towards owning one as my next diesel hatch (Figo or Punto, it is going to be).
do you mind sharing OTR price you paid? was there any waiting period?
Old 29th April 2012, 19:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review. Wish You a very happy ownership
Old 29th April 2012, 19:57   #27
BHPian

Crazy Driver,

This is a fantastic straight from the heart ownership review of probably the best hatch in the country

And it sounds sweet coming from a Maruti convert. My 5 stars added.

Lot of folks miss out on the driving experience of a FIAT since they eliminate it out of their initial list due to negative perceptions about the brand and the not so great A.S.S.

I had a test drive of a 2012 Punto and was blown away by the suspension. So if I decide to upgrade from my Palio SDX to another hatch it has to be the Punto for sure but for now I have my eyes set on the Linea
Old 29th April 2012, 21:19   #28
BHPian

One of the best ownership reviews around.
I loved the way you narrated your story. It was almost like watching a movie :-D
Congrats for your purchase. Punto is one fantastic looking car and a true Fiat.

My queries :
- How is the 90 HP different from Punto 75 and Swift diesel in terms of driveability and outright acceleration? I don't have any experience with 90HP but I really want to know about its performance.

- Where does Swift's stability at high speeds stand near Punto's?
Old 29th April 2012, 22:54   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
By the way, have you got the spare key of your Punto along with the delivery? What about the OEM horn? Any plans to get it replaced?
Spare key is ordinary type (Not flip type). Luckily, didnt need to use it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I wish you a brilliant journey with and in it!!
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
its just the best with FIATs.
I'm upgrading from a WagonR, with a very light electric steering setup. Huge difference!

Infact - I never had any problems with the WagonR during the past 6 years of ownership. However, after getting used to the Punto - WagonR steering feels very vague and lifeless.
Old 29th April 2012, 23:14   #30
BANNED

The car you have bought is certainly one that appeals to the heart. I too did several test drives a year ago but somehow did not put my money on it. I think it is time to take a re-look at the Punto and test drive the car again. Your excellent review has convinced me that the Punto is a good car. What looks maan!
Are you sure that the clutch pedal travel isnt that bad?

Most Viewed