Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 23:06   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP - 10k Report P

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
[*]Microsoft Blue & Me intergration. Let me stress - blue & me itself is pretty good. My only complaint being above the way its been integrated with the system. Changes folders, selecting songs etc is a very very serious headache. Unless you plan to just let the songs plan random from the drive - the usability of the system is absolute pathetic.
This is surprising for me CD. I never felt it to be hard to browse through the folders and select a song. Are you using your controls on the steering to browse through the folders?
Old 5th July 2012, 23:18   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
This is surprising for me CD. I never felt it to be hard to browse through the folders and select a song. Are you using your controls on the steering to browse through the folders?
Even I am facing this issue of not being able to select the desired songs in my Linea. The media player plays all the songs randomly across the folders. I did a quick glance at the manual but wasn't able to find anything.
Old 5th July 2012, 23:21   #153
Senior - BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. EDIT : 10k Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Even I am facing this issue of not being able to select the desired songs in my Linea. The media player plays all the songs randomly across the folders. I did a quick glance at the manual but wasn't able to find anything.
You have to turn off the auto play option. This can be done in the HU. To select the desired songs, use the controls on your steering to browse through and for playing the songs.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 09:45   #154
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. EDIT : 10k Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Its close to the 4k mark now. Will have to check the oil consumption and i hope the gearbox gets better once it crosses 5k
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
It would somewhat settle at 6-8K KM. Mine settled around that time. I have clocked around 26K KM now and the engine is butter smooth. The best thing is, for last 26K KM, my car has given average of 17 KMPL. I have data for every fill up and its nice to see that I would break even (petrol-diesel) thing in another 1K KM
neoonwheels: He was talking of his Polo.

Even though I haven't properly calculated the mileage - I guess it should be somewhere around the 17- 18 kmpl mark (judging by the figures on the MID). But i wonder why Punto has comparatively less mileage figures (Higher weight is understandable. Gearing may be another cause! ). Even on epicenter.rulez's thread - he has mentioned he was getting 23 kmpl on his Swift diesel while getting only 18 kmpl on his Punto. The heavy SX4 diesel is ARAI rated at 21.5 kmpl, while Punto 90HP is rated only at 20.5 only.

Speaking of which - IIRC Punto 90HP was rated at 19.9 (or 19.1 kmpl) when I was deciding on my car. It was below 20 kmpl anyways. After the launch of Punto Sport - it seems to have been upped to 20.5 kmpl. Have they further restricted the engine on the Sport?

I'll start calculating the exact mileage once the first oil change & 15k service is done with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
wow, 10K kms in 110 days? Looks like you will complete 30K within an year!

Hows the audio performance after the upgrade? Satisfied with the stock HU?
Thats exactly what I'm scared of! Completing so many kilometers so fast!

This car will be a long termer. I dont think I'll be able to change the car in another 5-7 years atleast. Hope it remains reliable till then!

Audio performance - Really good. No comparison to stock. The best part is - the bass is so tight that music is perfectly enjoyable in the backseat as well.

About the stock HU - I can say that I'm satisfied and irritated too. Satisfied because we were able to produce some quality music out of such a cheap HU. I can live with this sound for sure. However - I'm really irritated with the limitations of the HU as well -

1. I know the system is only playing at around 40% of its capabilities. 2. Only option to change music is through the steering mounted controls on the RHS side - and sometimes my wife tries to change the song when I'm driving. 3. Navigating folders and tracks is such a pain. 4. The quality of the CD player is pathetic. USB Playback is a lot better though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Congratulation CD.

I missed this fantastic ownership report for so many days.

Your write-up, updates & those pictures are awesome. Truly a 5 star review.
And 10K in 110 days, you drive crazy man.

BTW, you have mentioned of door rattles. How were those fixed after ICE installation.

I have same issue with my 2012 Punto & during first service they did some oiling job around the doors. Rattles vanished, but now after a months time, they are slowly reappearing.
Thanks man!

My rattles were not fixed completely after ICE installation. The one on the left front door is still present. However - there was a slight rattle on the front right door - which seems to have been fixed. I can only attribute this to the damping that was done on the door. Some loose wiring or whatever that could have been striking against the metal should be hitting against a rubber sheet now.

It was a real sad revelation to my that Punto's rattle. Totally unexpected considering the solid build of the car! To add to it - the car is otherwise really silent - hence the occasional rattle can really irritate.
Old 6th July 2012, 09:59   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok. Let me list my troubles. May be - you can help me out.

My USB has around 500 songs in 4 folders - English, Malayalam, Tamil and Hindi. Now -

1. If I need to play a particular song - Say I downloaded a new song to my collection and need to hear how it feels in when played in ICE - I need to navigate throught the voice navigation - Media - Advanced USB options - Folders - Scroll to alphabet 'K' (for eg)- and scroll again to the particular song. All this takes more than a min to execute for sure.

2. If i need to select a particular folder - Need to go through all the voice navigations again - Media - Advanced USB options - Folders. Again, really long process for something that should have been just a click away.

3. Only way to scroll through songs is through the steering controls. Co-passenger has no option but to irritate the driver for song changes.

IMO - USB media player system is best to just let play the songs at random.

Also - what do you think of the quality of the CD player? I always used to connect only through USB. Tried an original CD two days back just to try the player - and OMG its pathetic to say the least. Drastic drop in sound quality even when compared to the USB media player.
Quote:
If you dont want it to play all the folders - you can set the folder through voice navigation - Media - Advanced USB options - Folders. But it takes atleast a minute everytime you decide to change the folder.

Or do you want shuffle itself to be turned off?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th July 2012 at 10:01.
Old 6th July 2012, 11:30   #156
Senior - BHPian

I see your problem now. My responses below.

Quote:

My USB has around 500 songs in 4 folders - English, Malayalam, Tamil and Hindi. Now -

1. If I need to play a particular song - Say I downloaded a new song to my collection and need to hear how it feels in when played in ICE - I need to navigate throught the voice navigation - Media - Advanced USB options - Folders - Scroll to alphabet 'K' (for eg)- and scroll again to the particular song. All this takes more than a min to execute for sure.
To select a particular song in a folder where there are large number of songs will be definitely painful. But, again you need not go through the voice navigation. I never browse through my USB using the voice navigation. I am more comfortable browsing through the controls on the steering. If you have not explored it yet let me know. I can guide you.

Quote:
2. If i need to select a particular folder - Need to go through all the voice navigations again - Media - Advanced USB options - Folders. Again, really long process for something that should have been just a click away.
Same answer as above. It is a kids job to play any folder in the USB in no time if browsed through the steering mounted controls. Do not go for the voice commands.

Quote:
3. Only way to scroll through songs is through the steering controls. Co-passenger has no option but to irritate the driver for song changes.

I agree. No solution to this. This is the limitation of the system itself. A remote control would have made it easy for others.

But, I don't make it play at random. Never. I always select to play the desired folder in my USB. Never felt a pain when navigating through the steering mounted controls.

Quote:
Also - what do you think of the quality of the CD player? I always used to connect only through USB. Tried an original CD two days back just to try the player - and OMG its pathetic to say the least. Drastic drop in sound quality even when compared to the USB media player.
In my previous car (Hyundai Getz), I was using Alpine HU with JBL components and Co-axials. I was more than happy with that setup. When I got this Car, I was blasting the HU in all possible way until I did the ICE upgrade (with a 40k damage). Now, I am completely happy with the quality of the output.

Again, the output of media player is better than the CD player for sure. Most of the time I stick with my USB. Even if I buy any new CD's, I dump it to my system and play through USB. Another point to be noted here is, when you rip the CD to its original audio format itself (wav format), the quality of output is much more better than the mp3.

I have done all possible experiments so far .
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 16:36   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see your problem now. My responses below. I have done all possible experiments so far .
I just tried voice command and to me they were far far better as till now I was just browsing through steering controls and was able to listen only a single song every 15mins after shuffling random songs one by one.
But please help me by clarifying in step by step as to how the auto-playing of random songs can be stopped and how to select a folder and a particular song by either HU or Steering controls.
Thanks in advance
Old 6th July 2012, 23:59   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But please help me by clarifying in step by step as to how the auto-playing of random songs can be stopped and how to select a folder and a particular song by either HU or Steering controls.
Thanks in advance
Press the 'Main' button on the steering and scroll through to go the 'Media Player' option. Select this and again scroll through to go to 'Set USB'. Select this option and scroll through for the 'Auto Play' option. Select this and deactivate it.

Hope this helps.
Old 7th July 2012, 00:01   #159
BHPian

Quote:

About the stock HU - I can say that I'm satisfied and irritated too. Satisfied because we were able to produce some quality music out of such a cheap HU. I can live with this sound for sure. However - I'm really irritated with the limitations of the HU as well -
Yeah I agree its irritating. But the lack of support to install a Double din player is a big let down in this car.. the Pioneer one that I currently have, has certainly messed up the looks inside. But, for music, we have to make some sacrifice I guess.

Last edited by punto_ : 7th July 2012 at 00:25.
Old 8th July 2012, 10:23   #160
Team-BHP Support

The 90 touched the 11000 kms milestone today, 120 days after purchase.

Was using nitrogen for tyres from past 4k+ kms. Also been maintaining 30psi. I somehow didn't feel any benefit from it. Reverting back to 78% nitrogen now.

Is it possible to equip the car with an anti theft and security alarm? The stock system only has remot locking, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda
I see your problem now. My responses below.

To select a particular song in a folder where there are large number of songs will be definitely painful. But, again you need not go through the voice navigation. I never browse through my USB using the voice navigation. I am more comfortable browsing through the controls on the steering. If you have not explored it yet let me know. I can guide you.

Same answer as above. It is a kids job to play any folder in the USB in no time if browsed through the steering mounted controls. Do not go for the voice commands.

I agree. No solution to this. This is the limitation of the system itself. A remote control would have made it easy for others.

But, I don't make it play at random. Never. I always select to play the desired folder in my USB. Never felt a pain when navigating through the steering mounted controls.

In my previous car (Hyundai Getz), I was using Alpine HU with JBL components and Co-axials. I was more than happy with that setup. When I got this Car, I was blasting the HU in all possible way until I did the ICE upgrade (with a 40k damage). Now, I am completely happy with the quality of the output.

Again, the output of media player is better than the CD player for sure. Most of the time I stick with my USB. Even if I buy any new CD's, I dump it to my system and play through USB. Another point to be noted here is, when you rip the CD to its original audio format itself (wav format), the quality of output is much more better than the mp3.

I have done all possible experiments so far .
Thank you. Tried the steering controls navigation, and I find it far better than voice navigation. Thanks. Still, an irritatingly long process just to change a folder, however at least co passengers are spared from listening to the long voice navigation process.

Regarding the sound output, I was really happy with it till few days back- when I realised that the rear speakers are playing smooth music compared to front. I believe it's due to the speaker level amplified input, that is again fed and amplified for front and sub. Which made me realize how smooth it would play with a proper HU. But I'm bankrupt for now.

As our Mi10 says- An ICE system is as good as the weakest link in the system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_

Yeah I agree its irritating. But the lack of support to install a Double din player is a big let down in this car.. the Pioneer one that I currently have, has certainly messed up the looks inside. But, for music, we have to make some sacrifice I guess.
True. A double din would have helped retain the looks of the dashboard. I never thought it would become a limitation till I started thinking about ICE upgrade.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th July 2012 at 10:28.
Old 8th July 2012, 10:39   #161
BHPian

Wow, 11,000 KM in 4 months is a lot. What's your daily run?
Also, how has your service experience been with Tata? Please share the details.

The Ice upgrade is indeed required in a Fiat. The stock speakers are only good for mellow music like Jazz or blues. Try playing Metallica in there and it sounds like a bad rendition.
Old 8th July 2012, 11:43   #162
BHPian

Quote:

If you dont want it to play all the folders - you can set the folder through voice navigation - Media - Advanced USB options - Folders. But it takes atleast a minute everytime you decide to change the folder.

Or do you want shuffle itself to be turned off?
I actually find the voice commands to be better than the steering controls. For example to select the folders I just say 'Browse folders' and it displays the folders. Otherwise I will have to browse through all the options to select folders. Blue & Me never fails to recognise this command in my case. Similarly you can select songs according to albums, artist, genre etc.. by simply saying artist, albums etc.. Same for shuffle on/off. The commands which is tough for the lady are loop off, digit '2' etc.. And another thing is never shout while speaking these commands..Speak in normal voice and she will recognise most of the commands properly.
Old 8th July 2012, 12:03   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX007 View Post
I actually find the voice commands to be better than the steering controls.
I agree with you but in my case both are equally good. Maybe because I was very furious since last few days and finding a particular song from random list of 150-200 songs was really testing the nerves. BTW what is this Loop function in the Media Player, is it like repeat track in other players or selecting a particular part of the song and re-playing it again and again (I guess it can't be as it would be very dangerous while driving) or something élse.
One more clarification I need that is there any manual for HU as I didn't find any detailed info in the Car's manual provided by Fiat. While in other cars, I've seen that either a separate manual is provided or dedicated section in the car's manual with detailed info.
PS : Also share any other interesting info or feature of the HU that you discovered for our benefit. Thanks.
Old 8th July 2012, 12:24   #164
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you but in my case both are equally good. Maybe because I was very furious since last few days and finding a particular song from random list of 150-200 songs was really testing the nerves. BTW what is this Loop function in the Media Player, is it like repeat track in other players or selecting a particular part of the song and re-playing it again and again (I guess it can't be as it would be very dangerous while driving) or something élse.
One more clarification I need that is there any manual for HU as I didn't find any detailed info in the Car's manual provided by Fiat. While in other cars, I've seen that either a separate manual is provided or dedicated section in the car's manual with detailed info.
PS : Also share any other interesting info or feature of the HU that you discovered for our benefit. Thanks.
I think that the HU does have a dedicated section in the car manual. Blue & Me has a seperate manual for it. I didn't have the Blue & me manual because the dealer forgot to provide me that during delivery. Later I checked one of my relatives B & M manual to find the command 'Browse folders'. Earlier I used to say just 'Folders' and the system would not recognise it. But now selecting the folders is really easy. Regarding the loop function I don't know what it does. May be it repeats the songs. I just checked out the command only.
Old 10th July 2012, 21:54   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Wow, 11,000 KM in 4 months is a lot. What's your daily run?
Also, how has your service experience been with Tata? Please share the details.

The Ice upgrade is indeed required in a Fiat. The stock speakers are only good for mellow music like Jazz or blues. Try playing Metallica in there and it sounds like a bad rendition.
My daily run is around 45 - 50 kms.

Had the following highway trips as well - in this 11k kms run.

Chennai <-> Pondichery *2.
Chennai <-> Trivandrum <-> Munnar.
Chennai <-> Bangalore.
Bangalore <-> Nandi Hills.
Chennai <-> Yelagiri.

My experience with Tata Service has been bad. I had already pen down the same on Page 1 - hence qouting it here-
Quote:
Issues faced + Service Experience #2 - 1st service @ 4700 kms.
Service Satisfaction - *----
Service Centre - Concorde Motors, ECR, Chennai.

Completed first service yesterday. And it went as expected. Concorde Motors, ECR. BAD experience - Almost like a 'welcome to tata. This is how we will treat you'.

1. Had booked an appointment. Reached there at 9am. Got an SE assigned around 9.20. Since my house was a good distance away - I asked them multiple times how much time would first service take. I got the reply as 6pm, since they have lot of FIAT cars to be serviced. If you have a lot of cars - why give an appointment to someone else? Its not like I asked for thursday in particular to get my car serviced!

2. They were pushing for 3M Anti-rust coating, and I gave in - with a promise of delivery by 6pm itself (No extra time than needed for service).

3. I spent the next 1 1/2 hours walking to the bus-stop, taking a share auto, taking a bus and walking another 1 1/2 kms to get to my house. Reached @ 11am, and got a call @ 11.25am that car is ready - and only exterior wash is pending. I guess they were planning to push for exterior polishing/ Anti-rust earlier itself - and thats why the 6pm target was given. Totally I had to spent around 2 hours 45 hours in travel! (Due to traffic and walking needed). If this time was given earlier, I would have waited in the lounge itself!

4. All paper work was done. SE went to get my car. 15 mins later, I saw him running around the compound looking for the car. Turns out - someone accidently parked it inside the yard, and almost 10 vehicles were parked directly behind it. (One by one - they had to be reversed to get my car out!)

5. While giving it for service - I forgot to take the USB from inside the car (Its inside the glovebox and concealed from view). Yes, got stolen. I have nothing concrete to show that it was inside the car. And to be fair to the SE - he had asked me to remove every external removable item from the car.

6. Had HUGE www(dot)concorde(dot)com stickers at the back! They said - its some TATA policy. Had to make a scene to get it removed immediatly.

7. Only issue reported - rattle from front left door. NOT fixed.

Overall - bad day. Only good thing - the SE was a down to earth guy, and appeared to be trying hard to make up for the rest of it. Although he pushed for Anti-rust coating, he informed later on that it has already been done from FIAT - and hence not needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX007 View Post
I actually find the voice commands to be better than the steering controls. For example to select the folders I just say 'Browse folders' and it displays the folders. Otherwise I will have to browse through all the options to select folders. Blue & Me never fails to recognise this command in my case. Similarly you can select songs according to albums, artist, genre etc.. by simply saying artist, albums etc.. Same for shuffle on/off. The commands which is tough for the lady are loop off, digit '2' etc.. And another thing is never shout while speaking these commands..Speak in normal voice and she will recognise most of the commands properly.
Tried 'Folders' many times. Didn't work.

Was so happy after seeing your post, ran to the garage to check the system if it responds to 'Browse Folders', but . It hears it as 'Shuffle Off'. Can anyone tell me how those two sound similar!

Could it be because of the blue&me version? Did you update yours?

Most Viewed