Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 11:14   #211
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. EDIT : 10k Re

Anyone has the vector files for ABARTH logo?

Thinking of getting vinyl logos for front grill, rear hatch, steering wheel and wheel caps. Will then try to order the scorpion logo (For dashboard) from partsworld-uk. (Why not everything from partsworld? Because I'm currently on a very very tight budget!)
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:33   #212
Team-BHP Support

Completed 16k kms on Friday.

Car has been given to TAFE Reach on Saturday. Front left suspension is creating 'thud' sounds while going over potholes, bumps etc. And it doesn't seem to be an issue with the link rod. Should be getting her back on Monday.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-forumrunner_20120923_102929.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 24th September 2012 at 14:10. Reason: Correcting orientation
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 23:23   #213
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. EDIT : 10k Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Completed 16k kms on Friday.

Car has been given to TAFE Reach on Saturday. Front left suspension is creating 'thud' sounds while going over potholes, bumps etc. And it doesn't seem to be an issue with the link rod. Should be getting her back on Monday.

Attachment 991104
Issues faced + Service Experience #3 - Loose Anti-Roll bar @ 16080 kms.
Service Satisfaction - ****1/2-
Service Centre - TAFE Reach Limited, Greams Road, Chennai.

Time to visit the service center again. Just to give a recap of my experiences with TATA-FIAT service-

Issues faced + Service Experience #1 - Loose link rod @ 1500 kms.
Service Satisfaction - *****
Service Centre - Mohandas Motors, Trivandrum.
Date - 20 March 2012.

Issues faced + Service Experience #2 - 1st service @ 4700 kms.
Service Satisfaction - *----
Service Centre - Concorde Motors, ECR, Chennai.
Date - 16 April 2012.

More about both these service experiences here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2748655

Issues faced + Service Experience #3 - 2nd service@14917 kms.
Service Satisfaction - ****-
Service Centre - TAFE Reach Limited, Greams Road, Chennai.

More about it here-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2892748

Issue -

'Thud' sounds from the front left suspension while going over bumps and potholes. Suspected link rod at first, suspension next - but it turned out to be a loose anti-roll bar.

Positives-

1. They did not have slots available for Saturday. However - they agreed to attend to my car on the condition that I would need to wait till Monday if it requires any major work. Very straight forward in that matter. I guess thats why they are not overcrowded as in Concorde.

2. Mr. Cruz took the car for a TD. Got the car checked for link rod issue. Car was out in 30 minutes for another TD. However, the sound still persisted. So I had to leave the car in the service center till monday.

3. Did not receive it back on Monday, but they were prompt with the communications and explained why the delay has happened. No complaints regarding the same.

4. Issue resolved to satisfaction. I feel they may have had to put in some extra effort to find out the rootcause.

Negatives

1. Not entirely connected with this service. But - I had reported this issue during the last service @ 15k kms. Could have saved me a lot of trouble if it had been checked properly back then. Deducting one * from the experience only for this, and not because the current service experience was inferior.

Bill -

Total - 0/-

Finally - put the LTD sticker on the car.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20120922_094905.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th September 2012 at 23:31.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 10:45   #214
Team-BHP Support

Did 1 small modification to the interior. Although I love the affect , not too happy with the overall finish. (Its sticker-work, and had its limitations with respect to covering the corners properly).

Any good place in Chennai to get plastic trim painted?

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20121001_101747.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 12:51   #215
Team-BHP Support

Another brighter pic for the small modification. Found a place near Pudupet, Chennai- where they can paint the trim red. That should take care of the finish issues with these stickers.

Name:  ForumRunner_20121004_125012.png
Views: 7763
Size:  328.2 KB

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th October 2012 at 12:54.
Old 4th October 2012, 12:54   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
Another pic for the small modification. Found a place near Pudupet
Insane. Now it looks like a BMW but in Amber color instead of Red.
Is it a paint or sticker. How much did you spend for it.
Old 4th October 2012, 13:02   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone has the vector files for ABARTH logo?
Below

http://www.seeklogo.com/abarth-logo-1830.html

I Guess a friend of mine in CHD has the vector file. let me Know if unable to download from there . will send across in attachment .
Old 4th October 2012, 13:05   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik

Insane. Now it looks like a BMW but in Amber color instead of Red.
Is it a paint or sticker. How much did you spend for it.
All of Rs 30. Its a sticker. The reflective red sticker that sticker shops have.

But I wouldn't advice sticker, unless you are sure the finish can be achieved. Its hard to cover the edges properly. I'm not happy with the slight silver lining peeping out on two off the four corners.

But I love the effect. Might go in for painting of the trim (may be the sticker on top of that for an added glow).
Old 7th November 2012, 10:44   #219
Team-BHP Support

Last weekend I had a weekend trip to Trivandrum (In Bus, sadly. Left the Punto in Chennai). It was a rude wake-up call as to how the little FIAT has changed our perceptions. End result: WagonR may be upgraded sooner than expected. Early 2013 is the target, with another small petrol - an automatic this time for parents.

I have driven the WagonR for almost 6 years and approx 50k kms. However - I'm going to kerala after almost 7 months - and having a long trip in the WagonR after almost an year.

1. The moment I stepped into the WagonR - i was shocked to realise how small it was! Punto's width + seating position had spoiled me completly. The lack of bonnet and the wafer thin door panels felt unsafe. Something i never felt before the Punto ownership.

2. NVH levels and refinement of the petrol (WagonR has a girly wining sound to the engine) felt more than my diesel Punto.

3. Everything rattles. We got tired on our trip from Trivandrum <-> Alleppey mainly because of all the sounds inside the cabin, when crashing through Kerala roads.

4. Suspension seems to be crashing through everything. Although Punto's ride seem to have spoiled me - it might be an issue with the car as well- need to check it.

5. Steering! OMG. Something i never realised in my 6 years of ownership. There is so much play, i can actually do the left right thingy as they show in 80's movies and still the car goes straight. Absolutely lifeless with no feedback. And, to think - I was absolutely comfortable with it few months back! LOL!

The nice part though - the car is as reliable as ever- even with 90k on the odo.

So, off we went to check out the Brio AT. Although a very impressive package, wife was not at all impressed with the light doors (Yes, the solid Punto effect seems to have spoiled her too. She uses 'bullock-kart' for the build quality of the WagonR. Infact, she says our next upgrade should only be the Linea. ).

And as for my father - while I was telling him specs about Brio AT, he is asking the OTR for Linea. Too bad its too big for our usage (for parents), hard to reverse into our garage , unneccessarily high stretch of budget and doesn't come with an AT gearbox as well.

FIAT, are you listening? Small car, AT gearbox, lots of work for you to do. Can't expect the sales to simply increase. Bring out more products/ variants/ options please.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th November 2012 at 11:04.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 11:00   #220
Senior - BHPian

It happens Bro ! I have been a spoiled brat since I started my ownership with FIATs. I recent trip to Tarkarli, one of my friends (A big FIAT critique) drove my car for around 100 KM and now he says he feels disgusted to drive his Vista (No offence meant). It happens with all European cars with their unique build quality, ride and handling. But when it comes to reliability, they can still learn a lot from Japs.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:13   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

So, off we went to check out the Brio AT. Although a very impressive package, wife was not at all impressed with the light doors (
Yes the Brio is indeed a lighter car. I feel this all the more when driving my friends Brio, after driving my Swift. The Swifts doors have become very heavy and chunky after installation of the front door component speakers, and therefore the difference is felt all the more. However, the Brio performs its functions perfectly, and is a fun and powerful city hatchback, real easy to punt around town - and with the AT, the convenience factor is increased manifold.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:49   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And as for my father - while I was telling him specs about Brio AT, he is asking the OTR for Linea. Too bad its too big for our usage (for parents), hard to reverse into our garage , unneccessarily high stretch of budget and doesn't come with an AT gearbox as well.
Well, why don’t you ask your dad also to try the Punto? Or even better, get yourself a Linea and pass the Punto to dad
Considering the bad condition of Kerala roads (and the driving etiquettes), it’s better to get something safe and solid.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:03   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Well, why don’t you ask your dad also to try the Punto? Or even better, get yourself a Linea and pass the Punto to dad
Considering the bad condition of Kerala roads (and the driving etiquettes), it’s better to get something safe and solid.
In Chennai - my garage is not big enough to park a Linea. And I know i can't be so cruel as to park it outside on the road.

In Trivandrum - Our car needs to take an L turn at a very tight radius, otherwise it needs to be reversed a long distance into the garage. Punto barely manages that turn. (That too, my father will struggle to take that turn in the Punto). Linea wont defenitly make it.

Plus, their usage will be very less to demand a diesel.

Plus- my father has a weak knee. Thats why I'm keen on getting an automatic (He is still skeptical though. Indians do generally feel auto means more repairs and less mileage.).
Old 7th November 2012, 12:20   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Punto barely manages that turn. (That too, my father will struggle to take that turn in the Punto). Linea wont defenitly make it.

Plus, their usage will be very less to demand a diesel.
Hey CrAzY dRiVeR Im pretty sure that your family is totally transformed into Fiat fanatics post your Punto and nothing else might suffice.

But your Dad's knee problem actually mirrors one of my Uncle's. He was on the lookout for a small "AT" hatch when I suggested him to try out I10 & I20. He decided on I20 and has been a very satisfied customer for over 7 months now.

Here's what I think should work for your Dad, either with I20 or I10 :

1. Sure's hell not as Heavily built as Fiats but every1 agrees to the fact that Hyundais are better than Marutis.

2. Hyundai may not be as Cheap as Maruti but they are defenitely one of the Reliable brands today in Metros.

3. I10 Auto might be perfect with Minimum Size, respectable space, descent KMPL and ease of parking.

4. Steering FB can never be close to Fiats, but I guess your Father might not complaing as much as he would with a Wagon R.

I am not trying to sound like a Hyundai spokesperson here, just that I feel if its a AT Hatch that's the requirement, Hyundai probably has the Best in the Business today.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 7th November 2012 at 12:24.
Old 7th November 2012, 17:14   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Hyundai probably has the Best in the Business today.
I beg to differ here, and may be i am

But, considering the Automatic Hatchbacks currently available in India. Honda Brio takes the cake, be it Engine or Gearbox.
There is simply no match, it is a stellar product and the Best automatic option available.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 7th November 2012 at 17:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks