Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2012, 22:19   #256
BHPian

Absolutely sluggish and absolutely common knowledge amongst all Fiat owners that even the 75HP Punto is better gear ratios. Only the 90 HP is a pain to drive in the 1st and 2nd gears and takes forever to get moving from a standstill. The 90HP beast only comes to life on empty roads during ungodly RPMs. I need something to tame this beast for city driving.
Old 14th December 2012, 03:46   #257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Flashing odo issue is still unresolved. Will be able to get it checked next weekend only.
Have an issue!

TAFE Reach says the earliest they can accommodate my car for service is on 20th of this month. Since I'm starting on a 3.5k kms road trip on 22nd, I don't think giving the car for service on the 2nd last day is a good idea!

Is it ok to have the car checked after the trip? Or is there any chance of this flashing odo creating more issues during such a trip?
Old 14th December 2012, 07:23   #258
BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. EDIT : 20k Re

Quote:
Have an issue!

TAFE Reach says the earliest they can accommodate my car for service is on 20th of this month. Since I'm starting on a 3.5k kms road trip on 22nd, I don't think giving the car for service on the 2nd last day is a good idea!

Is it ok to have the car checked after the trip? Or is there any chance of this flashing odo creating more issues during such a trip?
CD,

I have not read the earlier posts regarding the flashing ODO however just detach both the battery terminals for good 5 minutes with ignition off.
This should solve it, it has happened with me for few times and this is the way I do it , and its good to go.

Is you car able to detect the MEDIA PLAYER option also you might notice that the SETTINGS option is not coming up in the MID when this issue happens ?
Old 11th January 2013, 11:10   #259
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- My FIAT Grande Punto 90HP. EDIT : 20k Re

March 10, 2012 - She was all shining and new, ready to come home with us.

Jan 10, 2013 - Exactly 10 months later, she completed one of the most important milestones of her life.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20130110_192250_800.jpg

25000 kms in 10 months may not be a big deal for many, but considering that the car is single owner driven + I spent long hours in office (IT) + my previous cars have done only around 8k kms per year, it is a big deal for me.

Still no major long trip.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-long-trips_25k.jpg

Will be putting 3M CR70 (I guess thats the one for the front windshield) before April. With only a light tint on the front glasses, the visibility should be as good as a car without sunfilms - and it should give me some protection from the sun. Something tells me its going to be a very hot summer!

All other modifications have been put on hold though! Specially the external sticker jobs and ICE HU change. With ABARTH coming into India - I hope they offer some official modifications for existing cars - like remaps! Anyways - RD is taking its own sweet time in launching the dual-channel box, might as well wait for Abarth launch too.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20130110_195606_800.jpg

Service

Last visit to the service center has been @ 16080 kms mark. Since service is the main detterent for wannabe FIAT owners - here is another quick recap of my service experiences.

ssues faced + Service Experience #1 - Loose link rod @ 1500 kms.
Service Satisfaction - *****
Service Centre - Mohandas Motors, Trivandrum.
Date - 20 March 2012.

Issues faced + Service Experience #2 - 1st service @ 4700 kms.
Service Satisfaction - *----
Service Centre - Concorde Motors, ECR, Chennai.
Date - 16 April 2012.

More about both these service experiences here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2748655

Issues faced + Service Experience #3 - 2nd service@14917 kms.
Service Satisfaction - ****-
Service Centre - TAFE Reach Limited, Greams Road, Chennai.

More about it here-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2892748

Issues faced + Service Experience #4 - Loose Anti-Roll bar @ 16080 kms.
Service Satisfaction - ****1/2-
Service Centre - TAFE Reach Limited, Greams Road, Chennai

More about it here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2916274

Niggles-

Front left door still has that faint rattle common in 2012 models. But except for this one niggle, the interior is solid and it is still a very silent cabin even after 25000 kms.

There is a slight weird sound coming from the front left side, and I really dont know how to explain it. Its not the earlier thud sound that i got fixed, but a very slight boomy noise. Anyways - I'm not getting this one checked unless it becomes a worry. I have a feeling that this one is part of the FIAT package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
CD,

I have not read the earlier posts regarding the flashing ODO however just detach both the battery terminals for good 5 minutes with ignition off.
This should solve it, it has happened with me for few times and this is the way I do it , and its good to go.

Is you car able to detect the MEDIA PLAYER option also you might notice that the SETTINGS option is not coming up in the MID when this issue happens ?
Issue again self rectified! Not sure what was the cause. But before it did so, the entire blue&me became unresponsive on one occassion. No response for pressing the buttons on the steering wheel, no music etc. But the next day when the car was started - even the flashing odo issue was gone. Weird!

Whats the warranty on the HU and the blue & me? Even though I've upgraded the speakers - the original equipment has not been touched. The FIAT HU feeds the amplifier and thats where the modifications start. I hope FIAT will honour the warranty incase blue&me gives up on me!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th January 2013 at 11:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 18:46   #260
Team-BHP Support

My insurance is up for renewal in Feb, and got a reminder call from Future Generalli. How good is their service? Thinking if its better to switch to some other insurance providers?
Quote:
Niggles-

Front left door still has that faint rattle common in 2012 models. But except for this one niggle, the interior is solid and it is still a very silent cabin even after 25000 kms.

There is a slight weird sound coming from the front left side, and I really dont know how to explain it. Its not the earlier thud sound that i got fixed, but a very slight boomy noise. Anyways - I'm not getting this one checked unless it becomes a worry. I have a feeling that this one is part of the FIAT package.
Entirely forgot to mention the issues with the HU.

1. Volume control knob is busted. Increasing the volume sometimes tend to decrease it all the way down to 0, leaving me heavily dependent on the steering controls.

2. I still hate the arrangement. The 8k worth system in our old M800 had a much better user friendly HU.

Visited Powerzone yesterday to check a small loose connection with the sub. Conversations with Saravana has again triggered a desire to change the HU. March end bonus is the target, then!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2013, 22:28   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Visited Powerzone yesterday to check a small loose connection with the sub. Conversations with Saravana has again triggered a desire to change the HU. March end bonus is the target, then!
If you replace the HU, forget about the Blue n Me and the steering controls. This is the main reason, my plans of getting a better audio on hold. Trying to source the adapter to get the Blue n Me working for the new Head Unit.

Future Generali, I am planning to claim insurance for the bent alloys the coming week. Will post you with my experience with them.

Do check which insurance has cashless service and get a quote from them and do bargain hard.
Old 12th January 2013, 23:30   #262
Senior - BHPian

I have completed about 30K in a year in my Fiat
Btw you seem to be too worried about the flashing odo niggle.
You can simply look over it,as it does not affect the vehicle in any way,and you dont even need to disconnect negative terminal of battery to fix it,just a restart of the car and it goes away.
Old 13th January 2013, 01:26   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My insurance is up for renewal in Feb, and got a reminder call from Future Generalli. How good is their service? Thinking if its better to switch to some other insurance providers?

Entirely forgot to mention the issues with the HU.

1. Volume control knob is busted. Increasing the volume sometimes tend to decrease it all the way down to 0, leaving me heavily dependent on the steering controls.

2. I still hate the arrangement. The 8k worth system in our old M800 had a much better user friendly HU.

I would not recommend FG simply because of the horrendous experience my friend faced with them. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2997687

I am reading good reviews on Tata-AIG. Try to get a quote from them. I renewed my insurance with HDFC Ergo.

Regarding the HU, why not ask them to change the HU under warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
If you replace the HU, forget about the Blue n Me and the steering controls. This is the main reason, my plans of getting a better audio on hold. Trying to source the adapter to get the Blue n Me working for the new Head Unit.
Blue & Me is surely a worry but the steering control can be enabled with after market HU's. Adapters are easily available.
Old 13th January 2013, 09:31   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post

Blue & Me is surely a worry but the steering control can be enabled with after market HU's. Adapters are easily available.
Sorry about the naive question. When you talk about steering controls, I believe its only volume and track controls. The calling function and voice commands will not work right?

Are there any adapters which can get this to work? I am keen on changing the HU but not losing blue n me functions and the steering controls.
Old 13th January 2013, 10:07   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry about the naive question. When you talk about steering controls, I believe its only volume and track controls. The calling function and voice commands will not
Blu n me wont work sadly, only the volume and track control works with adapters like connects 2. Blu n me is the only reason am sticking with stock HU after upgrading the whole ICE because i dont want to lose the brilliant integrated calling function.

I can live without track control but not blu n me, the HU is very average and the money spent on upgrades wont show until HU is changed.
Old 13th January 2013, 13:00   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry about the naive question. When you talk about steering controls, I believe its only volume and track controls. The calling function and voice commands will not work right?

Are there any adapters which can get this to work? I am keen on changing the HU but not losing blue n me functions and the steering controls.
You are right. The voice commands are part of Blue & Me. I am still researching on this line to see if we can retain B&M too. Let me see how it goes.
Old 13th January 2013, 13:05   #267
Team-BHP Support

Guys look at getting a processor rather than changing the HU, so that you can retain Blue and Me. Yes a processor will be as expensive as a medium to high end HU, but if you are putting some good speakers and all in your car it will be totally worth it. Something like the Audison Bit Ten or the JL Cleansweep.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 07:05   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Future Generali, I am planning to claim insurance for the bent alloys the coming week. Will post you with my experience with them.

Do check which insurance has cashless service and get a quote from them and do bargain hard.
Yes. Will be losing blue&me, voice controls and steering controls.

But, wont be BT HU help retain most of this functionality? Would be able to take calls, and an adapter should be able to help in retaining the steering controls. Don't think I'll miss the voice controls at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I have completed about 30K in a year in my Fiat
Btw you seem to be too worried about the flashing odo niggle.
You can simply look over it,as it does not affect the vehicle in any way,and you dont even need to disconnect negative terminal of battery to fix it,just a restart of the car and it goes away.
It did not disappear with a simple restart of the car, and was there for over a thousand kilometers this time. The whole Blue&me unit became unresponsive on one occasion (Inluding voice & steering controls) and then everything went back to normal again.

It was almost as if the blue&me system did a reboot by itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I would not recommend FG simply because of the horrendous experience my friend faced with them. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2997687

I am reading good reviews on Tata-AIG. Try to get a quote from them. I renewed my insurance with HDFC Ergo.

Regarding the HU, why not ask them to change the HU under warranty?

Tried comparing with policybazaar.com. Bajaj Allianz and HDFC Ergo seems VFM, while TATA AIG is a bit on the expensive side.

I will be asking for a change of HU under warranty soon. I have done modifications to the music system, but none that has touched the HU/ Blue&me. Let's see if they honour the warranty. Probably next week itself.

But even if they get it replaced, it would still be the same old cheap HU, right? I can probably get it replaced, and keep it in storage. Might come in handy when selling the car at some point of time. Even basic head units available in the market do a much better job compared to this stock FIAT HU.
Old 14th January 2013, 07:19   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

How many times have you used the voice controls? I have used them only on rare occasions, and mostly for show-off when friends were in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Blu n me wont work sadly, only the volume and track control works with adapters like connects 2. Blu n me is the only reason am sticking with stock HU after upgrading the whole ICE because i dont want to lose the brilliant integrated calling function.

I can live without track control but not blu n me, the HU is very average and the money spent on upgrades wont show until HU is changed.
+ 1 coolboy007.

I can live without voice controls. Steering controls can be retained with adapters. Bluetooth can be had with aftermarket HUs. This way i can retain most of the functionality.

But the stock HU is CHEAP and is killing my current setup!

I auditioned a setup - A Zen - which played PHD component speakers from a just a basic (Kenwood IIRC) HU. Thats it, no sub, no amp nothing. It was much better than my setup playing from stock HU coupled with DLS amp + PHD components upfront + PHD midbass at rear + JBL GTO sub.

If I have spent 44k for audio upgrades and a simple 15-20k setup can beat it, just because of the weakest link in the system (HU), whats the point in retaining?

My installer (Powerzone, Chennai) keeps crying everytime i visit him - that my HU is restricting the setup to only 30% - 40% of its capacity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Guys look at getting a processor rather than changing the HU, so that you can retain Blue and Me. Yes a processor will be as expensive as a medium to high end HU, but if you are putting some good speakers and all in your car it will be totally worth it. Something like the Audison Bit Ten or the JL Cleansweep.
Will a processor be able to overcome the shortcomings of such a cheap HU? It may make it sound better but wont it distort?

Already there is a slight distortion in the system, as the amp has to take input from the high level signals from the HU. Wont a processor introduce more noise in the circuit?
Old 14th January 2013, 08:20   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tried comparing with policybazaar.com. Bajaj Allianz and HDFC Ergo seems VFM, while TATA AIG is a bit on the expensive side.
Policy Bazaar can be used for comparing the quote from different players. But, you would get better deal if dealt directly with an agent. Try contacting some agents of Tata-AIG. Also think about upgrading to bumper to bumper policy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks