Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2013, 22:48   #331
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- FIAT Grande Punto 90HP - Now 1 year, 30k

Issues faced + Service Experience #6 - Brake pad replacement @ 36,500 kms.
Service Satisfaction - **---
Service Centre - Vecto Motors, Bangalore.

Time to visit the service center again. Just to give a recap of my experiences with TATA-FIAT service-

Issues faced + Service Experience #1 - Loose link rod @ 1500 kms.
Service Satisfaction - *****
Service Centre - Mohandas Motors, Trivandrum.

Issues faced + Service Experience #2 - 1st service @ 4700 kms.
Service Satisfaction - *----
Service Centre - Concorde Motors, ECR, Chennai.

More about both these service experiences here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2748655

Issues faced + Service Experience #3 - 2nd service@14917 kms.
Service Satisfaction - ****-
Service Centre - TAFE Reach Limited, Greams Road, Chennai.

More about it here-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2892748

Issues faced + Service Experience #4 - Loose Anti-Roll bar @ 16080 kms.
Service Satisfaction - ****1/2-
Service Centre - TAFE Reach Limited, Greams Road, Chennai.

More about it here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...0k-kms-15.html

Issues faced + Service Experience #5 - 3rd Free Service @ 30,800 kms.
Service Satisfaction - ****1/2
Service Centre - Prerana Motors, Bangalore.

More about it here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3075595

I was informed during the 30k service itself that the brakes pads were at the end of their lifespan and would run for a maximum of another 1000 kms. We thought it would run another 3-4k kms, but i ended up using it for around 6k kms more. Got it changed at Vecto Motors 2 weeks back. Must say - I did not have prior appointment on that day - and I really appreciate Vecto for understanding my urgency.

Total costs came to Rs 3883/-

No breakup of costs or part numbers for the same since they were experiencing issues with their siebel systems and hence I opted for a manual bill.

Why the low rating then? Thats for FIAT, not Vecto in particular.

There was a thud sound coming from the front left suspension - and it was narrowed down to a worn out spring bush on the suspension. Part not available though. What more? My a/c parts ordered a month ago were still not received at the center.

Issues faced + Service Experience #7 - A/C compressor replacement (warranty) @ 37,800 kms.

31/03/2013 -
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Meanwhile, a/c cooling has reduced noticeably over the past few days, and it became unbearable yesterday. At higher speeds - the blower was throwing hot air into the cabin (With ACC set to 18 degrees). However, while returning back home at night - I set blower to 2 and temperature to 27.5 - it was throwing nice cool air!

Action plan for next week then!
27/4/2013 -
Quote:
Ok, was not able to put any updates for a long time. Some personal issues and health issues in the family had demanded my full attention. Car is also not running at 100% - A/C issue is not yet fixed (My bad I couldn't visit FASC, service guys are not to blame here) and so - she is running hot - quite literally.
1/05/2013 -
Quote:
Update: Finally- the AC compressor has arrived and FASC guys have requested to get the work done tomorrow itself. As per the recent discussions in the Punto TD thread- will also be getting the radiator fans and compressor fins checked.
Man! I've been so held up with other issues - never realised that the a/c problem was first reported end march! Order for the a/c compressor was placed with FIAT in the first week of april - and my issue has been resolved now - in the first week of June.

Anyways - the big question - has it been resolved? I am not really sure, however wife says there is a big improvement and it feels as good as the earlier days. I will reserve my comments till I get to drive through few hot summer days - and i get some second opinion from the FIAT bangalore gang.

After reading through the recent pages of the Punto TD thread where many owners have been commenting about similar a/c issues - and the way its related to the radiator fans/ condenser fins etc - I do feel there is more substance in this theory. However - the service center was pretty confident that my issue is different and the compressor was working to its potential - even when fully engaged. Both ways - the car is touching the 38,000 mark and I really dont want to spend more days at the service center before the 45k service interval. RD box will also be going back in sometime this week, and due to the positioning of the connectors in the 90HP - I need to take help from RD team for the same. Hence I really dont want to remove it soon - before the 45k service interval.

Another big point of debate recently has been about the new FIAT service centers. After the recent shift from TATA to FIAT - I have had a good experience with Vecto Motors, Bangalore and a bad experience with FIAT. Vecto has been accomodating, and although their work may be 100% in the initial days - I do see some positive signs and hence giving them a till the whole thing stabilizes. FIAT however hasn't been too encouraging and I wonder why the parts took such a long time to arrive at the service center. However - warranty replacements were promptly honoured without any fuss - and for that I give them a as well. Lets just hope the delay was part of the initial confusions!

Why 5 stars then? I already punished them in the previous rating for the delay, so not repeating the same. Forgetting that aspect - Vecto Motors were quick to call up and inform once the parts arrived. Work was fast and efficient too (Hoping it solves the issue).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd June 2013 at 22:53.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 23:38   #332
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- FIAT Grande Punto 90HP - Now 1 year, 30k

Headlines for the day - The blue box is back.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3143107

Anyways - also got the car washed at 3M HSR. Thought i might as well document the experiences! Below are the services I can clearly recollect (as i still have the bill with me). Will be documenting the experiences better now onwards!

Cleaning + Detailing work #1.
16 November 2012 - Car Cares, Chennai - Foam Wash+.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2963470

Cleaning + Detailing work #2.
23 February 2013 - 3M, HSR Bangalore - Foam Wash.

Cleaning + Detailing work #3.
23 March 2013 - 3M, HSR Bangalore - 3M Paint sealant treatment (Wash + Claying + Rubbing + Machine Polish + Paint sealant).
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3075057

Cleaning + Detailing work #4.
20 April 2013 - 3M, HSR Bangalore - Foam Wash. (+ Tech Wax 2.0)

Cleaning + Detailing work #5.
14 May 2013 - 3M, HSR Bangalore - Foam Wash. (+ Tech Wax 2.0)

Cleaning + Detailing work #6.
7 June 2013 - 3M, HSR Bangalore - Foam Wash. (+ Tech Wax 2.0)
Old 19th June 2013, 00:17   #333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Issues faced + Service Experience #7 - A/C compressor replacement (warranty) @ 37,800 kms.

31/03/2013 -

27/4/2013 -

1/05/2013 -

Man! I've been so held up with other issues - never realised that the a/c problem was first reported end march! Order for the a/c compressor was placed with FIAT in the first week of april - and my issue has been resolved now - in the first week of June.

Anyways - the big question - has it been resolved? I am not really sure, however wife says there is a big improvement and it feels as good as the earlier days. I will reserve my comments till I get to drive through few hot summer days - and i get some second opinion from the FIAT bangalore gang.

After reading through the recent pages of the Punto TD thread where many owners have been commenting about similar a/c issues - and the way its related to the radiator fans/ condenser fins etc - I do feel there is more substance in this theory. However - the service center was pretty confident that my issue is different and the compressor was working to its potential - even when fully engaged. Both ways - the car is touching the 38,000 mark and I really dont want to spend more days at the service center before the 45k service interval. RD box will also be going back in sometime this week, and due to the positioning of the connectors in the 90HP - I need to take help from RD team for the same. Hence I really dont want to remove it soon - before the 45k service interval.
UPDATE: Compressor replacement has NOT solved the a/c issue. Although its very efficient now, cooling efficiency drops suddenly when outside temperatures goes higher than 30 degrees.

I suspect the radiator fan, and will be visiting the service center soon. Unfortunately - I have a 3000 kms trip coming up next week and this will need to wait till the 45k mark.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th June 2013 at 00:18.
Old 28th June 2013, 06:19   #334
Team-BHP Support

40,000 kms...

Yet another milestone - 40,000 kms.
No of days since purchase- 467.
Average usage - 85.7 kms/ day.

Time taken since 30k milestone - 103 days @ 97.1 kms/day.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20130621_092933_800.jpg

Major highways/ routes covered:
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-45k.jpg

An experience with M(aruti)ASS. :

My 90HP was blessed at birth with Goodyear GT3 tyres - and although I never had any complaints with the grip (Its a 195 afterall!) - they became rock hard and extremely noisy after the 30k mark. However - I can very well say that these are long lasting tyres and it still looks good enough for another 5000 kilometers.

Or so I thought till last week!

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20130622_155745_800.jpg

Last week I had to travel around 70 kms/day to office one-way and so I experimented a lot with the route options. On the 20th - I decided to try the route Whitefield - Hoskote - Bommenahalli - Bagalur - Yelahanka. The ambience was perfect - new route, village setting, deserted, no lights, 8:45 PM, alone, light rains- and just as if in a bollywood movie, my front right tyre decided to give up. To add a bit more masala to the whole experience - let me also add that I had read the latest posts from 'spooky experiences' thread that very morning.

Anyways - got down, checked the tyre and decided to try my luck for a kilometer or so! Couldn't find help/ proper lighting/shelter but to my surprise or shock - found a Maruti Service Station. They were closed for the day, but for my luck - the staff were all watching cricket match inside. They could have opted for multiple excuses not to help me; they were closed for the day, I was not even driving a Maruti Suzuki vehicle, machinery is already switched off etc blah blah, but within 2-3 minutes the punctured tyre was replaced with the spare. I've always loved the MS brand- and this was another incident to seal my faith in them.

Summary of all issues faced till date:

1. Loose link rod @ 1500 kms mark.
2. Rattle from front LHS door panel - still not resolved.

3. Stock speakers started cracking under volume and had to be replaced- ICE upgrade part -1 was the solution.
4. One niggle all FIAT owners would have faced - odo flashing randomly @ 12500 kms mark. Disappeared on its own the next day.

5. Front left suspension is creating 'thud' sounds while going over potholes, bumps etc. Turned out to be a loose anti-roll bar. @16k kms.
6. a/c issues noticed. Becomes useless during daytime. Compressor ordered for warranty replacement a month back. Compressor replaced, but no use.

7. Thud sound from the front left suspension. This time, it seems like a friction bush from the sleeve has gone bust. Resolved.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2013, 09:28   #335
Senior - BHPian

Your tires look pretty good at 40K mark. The Goodyear GT3's on my Punto 90HP are close to "finished" at just above 35K. And yes, they are very noisy these days.
Old 11th July 2013, 22:41   #336
Team-BHP Support

Re: 40,000 kms...

Quote:
4. One niggle all FIAT owners would have faced - odo flashing randomly @ 12500 kms mark. Disappeared on its own the next day.
I faced it once at 9860 km as well, there is no fixed odometer reading for this to happen I think . It is a minor canbus error related to Blue&Me that is thrown up when the system goes bonkers for a while, and as far as I know this canbus corruption is caused by a silly reason such as cranking the car before the 2 second diagnostic check is done when you turn the key to On (before the console lights go out). Sometimes, it just has a bad day and decides to throw tantrums. Switching off and on will at times cure it. Sometimes, it takes a day to go out after a good night's sleep. Weird. If you must dispose off this error immediately, disconnect and reconnect the battery terminals. That resets the system and clears out any leftover error codes.

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th July 2013 at 23:03.
Old 12th July 2013, 10:52   #337
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- FIAT Grande Punto 90HP - Now at 40k kms

I was just commenting on Dhanushmenon's thread of his well maintained Figo about the amount of distance he drives (3years 70K). And CD you seem to be pushing miles as well and that too at a much faster rate!

Looks like you guys just need a reason to drop every thing and drive to Kerala!
Old 14th July 2013, 15:22   #338
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- FIAT Grande Punto 90HP - Now at 40k kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Your tires look pretty good at 40K mark. The Goodyear GT3's on my Punto 90HP are close to "finished" at just above 35K. And yes, they are very noisy these days.
Theoretically - these tires should last long! They are rock hard and dismiss almost everything the road throws at them. I had my first puncture near the 40k mark!

I'm itching for an upgrade though. These tyres have been a major disappointment in terms of ride quality, and I've been stuck with it - so much so that the next set will be one with the best ride quality - think Michelin PLC/ Yokohama DB. I know they wont do justice to a car with an RD box, but well - there stil a lot of running left for some sportier shoes later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I faced it once at 9860 km as well, there is no fixed odometer reading for this to happen I think . It is a minor canbus error related to Blue&Me that is thrown up when the system goes bonkers for a while, and as far as I know this canbus corruption is caused by a silly reason such as cranking the car before the 2 second diagnostic check is done when you turn the key to On (before the console lights go out). Sometimes, it just has a bad day and decides to throw tantrums. Switching off and on will at times cure it. Sometimes, it takes a day to go out after a good night's sleep. Weird. If you must dispose off this error immediately, disconnect and reconnect the battery terminals. That resets the system and clears out any leftover error codes.
LOL. Speak of the devil and ... In mallu speak 'karinaakku'.

Jokes apart - The odo came alive again last weekend. This time around , it was nearing the 42.5 k mark. But then - i have another interesting observation that contradicts your post.

To all the FIAT experts - I had this issue first around the 12.5k mark, next time around the 21.5k mark and disappeared around the 22.5k mark, third time around the 32k mark and now around the 42.5k mark. Just a co-incidence? Or is the car trying to convey something? Lets see if it re-appears around the 52.5k milestone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was just commenting on Dhanushmenon's thread of his well maintained Figo about the amount of distance he drives (3years 70K). And CD you seem to be pushing miles as well and that too at a much faster rate!

Looks like you guys just need a reason to drop every thing and drive to Kerala!
Hehe. But your post also reminds me - the past few days have been real hectic. Its crossed the 43.5k milestone now. 3500 kms in just over 20 days!

However - all this running will reduce now. Either a new member will be joining the family soon (No, not the human kind!) or I might opt for company shuttle transport during normal shift timings (I work in shifts, hence 2 weeks a month). It has come to a stage where I am really worried about the long-term wear&tear and also the short -term expenses. 22k per month on EMI + fuel expenses doesn't sound too wise for someone my age! But more than that - I plan to keep the car for several years and dont want to wear it out in the initial few itself!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th July 2013 at 15:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 12:48   #339
Team-BHP Support

And this is how it looks now - after 44,000 kms/ 16 months of ownership.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_875_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_8749_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_8770_800.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st July 2013 at 13:00.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 13:09   #340
Senior - BHPian

Your car looks fresh out of the showroom CD, it has been immaculately maintained. Excellent thread and brilliant photos.

What tyres are you planning to switch to now that CD has a RD box
Old 6th August 2013, 23:04   #341
Team-BHP Support

Odo now runs just a few kilometers short of the 45k mark. Have booked for the service towards the end of this month. I am making a very honest attempt at reducing the month mileage the car clocks. 30k service in March and 45k service by end July (If I had not put a brakes to my usage) kind of freaked me out!

No major issues other than the a/c issue, which I'll be reporting again during the next service. Thinking of opening a new thread in team-bhp too, since this seems to be a common complaint.

Other than that - car runs perfectly. Infact so good - I'm a bit surprised at the below figures recorded in the android app -

Total mileage logged - 4940 kms/ 41 days.
Best FE - 21.49 kmpl.
Average FE - 19.13 kmpl.
Worst FE - 16.42 kmpl.

Car has been through 2 more proper wash sessions since the last update.

Cleaning + Detailing work #7.
12 July 2013 - 3M, HSR Bangalore - Foam Wash. + Tech Wax 2.0

Cleaning + Detailing work #8.
4 August 2013 - 3M, HSR Bangalore - Foam Wash + Tech Wax 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Your car looks fresh out of the showroom CD, it has been immaculately maintained. Excellent thread and brilliant photos.

What tyres are you planning to switch to now that CD has a RD box
Thanks. Its got its share of minor scratches, thankfully nothing major. However - I wonder why I didn't go for red.

My current set of tyres - the stock Goodyears - have been a major disappointment in terms of ride quality, and I've been stuck with it. It has irritated me so much that the next set will be the one with the best ride quality - and I have almost narrowed my choice down to Yokahama avsDB.

I know they wont do justice to a car with an RD box, but well - there still a lot of running left for some sporty shoes later.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th August 2013 at 23:12.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 02:25   #342
Senior - BHPian

Good to see that car is doing fine except for the persistent AC issue. What amazes me is the FE figures. They're almost close to what the Maruti's give I presume. Also, any plans of visual mods on the white car ? Like blackened roof etc ?

Quote:
However - I wonder why I didn't go for red.
Hmm, side-effects of spending too much time with/looking at Karthik's car

Last edited by shashank.nk : 21st August 2013 at 02:39.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 12:50   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
What amazes me is the FE figures. They're almost close to what the Maruti's give I presume.
But then- Maruti's don't have 90hp with RD.

Back to stock now. 45k kms service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Also, any plans of visual mods on the white car ? Like blackened roof etc ?
I'm still thinking about it- and have my share of doubts and confusions. I'm not going for the Abarth theme. Karthik and Hemanth are doing a wonderful job there, and as much as I love those cars, I'm sure now that it's not something I want to do. I read through several modification threads past few days and decided the end result was too good, but then another look at the stock Punto- and I'm left wondering if stock was better.

One very minor mod will happen soon though- to make it look even more neat and clean.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 01:32   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But then- Maruti's don't have 90hp with RD.

Back to stock now. 45k kms service.
I read through several modification threads past few days and decided the end result was too good, but then another look at the stock Punto- and I'm left wondering if stock was better.

One very minor mod will happen soon though- to make it look even more neat and clean.
Yes, the Maruti's don't make as much power as your car does

The Punto is a stunner in stock form itself, so modifying it to make it look even better is a tricky job and if you're confused best not attempt it. I asked about the black roof since that seems to be a starting point for many.

Will look out for the new mod
Old 25th August 2013, 15:06   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Debadging? I loves the debadged look but my wife is dead against removing the Punto and Active logo from the boot lid

Most Viewed