Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2013, 15:16   #346
BHPian

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- FIAT Grande Punto 90HP - Now at 40k kms

@CrAzY dRiVeR :
How is the NVH on the Punto after 45k kms?
Has it increased significantly since the beginning?
How is it with the windows rolled down vs with the AC on?

Being a petrolhead all my life, am trying to get over the aversion to diesels
Old 26th August 2013, 09:10   #347
Team-BHP Support

Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- FIAT Grande Punto 90HP - Now at 40k kms

Issues faced + Service Experience #8 - 45000 kms paid service.
Service Satisfaction - ****-
Service Centre - Vecto Motors, Bangalore.

Routine service with nothing special to report. a/c inefficiency could not be checked since the part they received against my order was damaged, and hence had to be ordered again. Have to expect these things as part FIAT ownership!

Coming to the financials -

1. Service Cost for paid service - Rs 1124/- (Washing & cleaning excluded as per my request)
2. Engine Oil - Rs 1521/-
3. Oil Filter - Rs 411/-
4. Filtering Element - Rs 402/-
5. Fuel Filter - Rs 2059/-
6. Air Filter - Rs 199/-

Total approximate costs came to around 6500/- This was excluding wash, and with additional balancing and alignment included. Service costs are still low IMO - 6k to 7k every 15000 kms.

Cleaning + Detailing work #9.
24 August 2013 - 3M, HSR Bangalore - Foam Wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Yes, the Maruti's don't make as much power as your car does

The Punto is a stunner in stock form itself, so modifying it to make it look even better is a tricky job and if you're confused best not attempt it. I asked about the black roof since that seems to be a starting point for many.

Will look out for the new mod
True. Everyone starts with the black roof, but I am doubtful whether it will gel with an otherwise stock car. As you know by now - I am a very confused person when it comes to mods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Debadging? I loves the debadged look but my wife is dead against removing the Punto and Active logo from the boot lid
Tell me about it! And I have Punto, 90 HP & Emotion stickers on the boot, of which the 'Emotion' sticker is of inferior quality compared to the other two and even the angle of lettering doesn't gel with the other two. Still my wife is dead against debadging.

I always remind KarthikK, make hay while the sun shines. Complete all mods before marriage!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th August 2013 at 09:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 09:27   #348
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

CD, item no 6 is polen filter/AC filter which costs 199 bucks. 1124/- for the labour is reasonable and it should have actually included cost of washing too. Anyways, I wont let the service center guys touch the car for washing
Old 26th August 2013, 09:43   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
@CrAzY dRiVeR :
How is the NVH on the Punto after 45k kms?
Has it increased significantly since the beginning?
How is it with the windows rolled down vs with the AC on?

Being a petrolhead all my life, am trying to get over the aversion to diesels
NVH is slightly better, specially since the 5k mark. But frankly, those changes are not significant. You need to get used to the diesel drone.

However, it also depends on which car you were using earlier. Some of the smaller ones like WagonR have much higher noise levels compared to Punto, even though its a petrol. And I love the diesel sound in my Punto a lot better than the girlish (4 stroke auto like ) whine inside my WagonR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
CD, item no 6 is polen filter/AC filter which costs 199 bucks. 1124/- for the labour is reasonable and it should have actually included cost of washing too. Anyways, I wont let the service center guys touch the car for washing
It is around 1.4k for paid service. Cost was reduced and the same was explained by the SA (you know who) when I opted out of the wash.

So item #4 is air filter? Weird naming convention then.
Old 27th August 2013, 12:40   #350
BHPian

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

@CrAzY dRiVeR,

Bro, Sorry if I am high jacking your thread here for a post.

We got ourself a new Tuscan Wine 90HP a week back, when I went through your posts it was like Deja-vu.

My better half was of the opinion that Punto's headlamps were ugly compared to Linea's (she is a die hard fan of Linea's lines).
Even though my soul was saying "Punto .. Punto"
I took her to fiat Caffe only after checking out Figo (was my first choice), Maruthi (Swift and Ritz), I20s (Her favourite amongst hatches) , the VW , and etios Liva.

Then the story went exactly like as in yours I was going till MG Road, took a left turn and took her to the fiat Caffe and told her whats wrong in checking the car.
Once the door closed after getting in the car , Voila the Deal was closed. She was all the way punto. She didn't utter even I20 as a suggestion.

That being said, congrats on the car ( I know its a bit late to say now ).
May I ask you which service center do you recommend in Bangalore ?
TheHkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 13:39   #351
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
Most folks go to Vecto. Apart from CD's this check NKP and Karthik's ownership threads.

Last edited by ampere : 27th August 2013 at 13:55.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 13:50   #352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHkrish View Post
@CrAzY dRiVeR,

Bro, Sorry if I am high jacking your thread here for a post.

We got ourself a new Tuscan Wine 90HP a week back, when I went through your posts it was like Deja-vu.

My better half was of the opinion that Punto's headlamps were ugly compared to Linea's (she is a die hard fan of Linea's lines).
Even though my soul was saying "Punto .. Punto"
I took her to fiat Caffe only after checking out Figo (was my first choice), Maruthi (Swift and Ritz), I20s (Her favourite amongst hatches) , the VW , and etios Liva.

Then the story went exactly like as in yours I was going till MG Road, took a left turn and took her to the fiat Caffe and told her whats wrong in checking the car.
Once the door closed after getting in the car , Voila the Deal was closed. She was all the way punto. She didn't utter even I20 as a suggestion.

That being said, congrats on the car ( I know its a bit late to say now ).
Congrats on your new car. Initially the response might feel rather tame for a 90hp motor. Wait till around 5k kms for the engine to open up.

I will recommend Vecto Motors, hosur road. They are not perfect, but they have a good customer-centric attitude. We have few BHPians who know the place inside out, so make sure you post in the punto threads before going for 1st service.
Old 27th August 2013, 15:25   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Most folks go to Vecto. Apart from CD's this check NKP and Karthik's ownership threads.
Thanks Ampere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I will recommend Vecto Motors, hosur road. They are not perfect, but they have a good customer-centric attitude. We have few BHPians who know the place inside out, so make sure you post in the punto threads before going for 1st service.
Thanks Cd, would post before the first service car is at 750Kms now.
Old 10th September 2013, 11:51   #354
Team-BHP Support

Had a brilliant drive over the weekend.

Bangalore - Alleppey - Bangalore.

RD box was sitting at home. I'm surprised with the change in the stock engine response. Its true that FIAT engines do get better with time! The drive involved a lot of high speed cruising due to heavy rains. Have a look at the final FE figures! Wasn't driving to extract FE - may be the effect of all the cruising.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20130908_220137_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20130908_220009_800.jpg

Yes - she's nearing the 48,000 kms milestone - and she will be 1 1/2 years old tomorrow.

Some random pictures taken over the past two weeks -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20130903_023344_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20130902_123128_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-20130902_123100_800.jpg

On the negative side -

I'm absolutely frustrated about the a/c issue.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th September 2013 at 11:55.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 00:08   #355
Team-BHP Support

Cleaning and Detailing work #10 -
3M HSR layout Bangalore.

I managed to get the car so dirty over the past few days - there was only one guy I would trust to restore it back to showroom condition. Brilliant work as usual by Sidhu and his boys @ 3M HSR layout! Will post more details in the 3M HSR layout dedicated thread. Here's a preview-

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-1_before_facebook.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 09:15   #356
Team-BHP Support

Here's a small visual mod after a long time -

Inspired by the work done by TBhp'ians KarthikK and nkrishnap on their cars - I decided that my multijet should paint the town red as well.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-multijet.jpg

In other news - the stock GT3s completed 48,300 kilometers and were duly replaced. GT3 was a reliable tyre - but was rock hard to say the least. Every small road irregularity was transferred into the cabin. I was itching to get my hands on a more comfortable set of tyres and Yokahama AVS DB seemed to be the best bet in terms of comfort, noise levels, performance and price.

Some pics of the tyre change -

Stock GT3s after 48,300 kms of usage -
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-old-gt3s.jpg

AVS DB (Made in Japan) -
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-set-3-tyres.jpg

A closer look at the thread pattern -
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-thread-pattern.jpg

Mounted -
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-yokahama.jpg

And here's how it looks compared to the old GT3s -

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-avs-db-compared-old-gt3.jpg

So, my car was full of dust and dirt collected from the states of Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. Almost 2000 kilometers of driving through heavy rains meant layers of dirt and mud on the car. Infact - the original colour was not visible anymore.

There was only one place that I trusted to restore it back to showroom condition. Brilliant work once again by Sidhu and his team @ 3M HSR layout. Let the pictures speak the story of the transformation -

Water wash upfront - Notice how much dirt is being cleared! I was a happy man to see this since it would ensure no swirls would crop up during the foam wash.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-water-wash.jpg

Foam wash -
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-foam-wash_800.jpg

Its snowing in bangalore. My favourite part.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-front_snow.jpg
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-back-snow.jpg

Skipping the rest of the process. Now - for some before/ after pics -

Before
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-1_before.jpg

After
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-1_after.jpg

Before
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-2_before.jpg

After
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-2_after.jpg

Before
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-3_before.jpg

After
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-3_after.jpg

Before
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-5_before.jpg

After
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-5_after.jpg

Before
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-4_before.jpg

After
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-4_after.jpg

And here's a parting shot of the glass like finish on the bonnet.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-front.jpg

Just another 1500 kms to go for acheiving a big milestone in her life.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 09:46   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Yokahama AVS DB seemed to be the best bet in terms of comfort, noise levels, performance and price.
CD,

The car looks much better than the showroom ones. Also 3M might make you their brand ambassador

Can you share the cost of the Yoko's? Did you get anything for the old tyres?
ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 11:58   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats nice work of getting the car back to shape. Should have been a pain to see the car dirty. Go going painting the town red.

On teambhp its all praises for this center, on the other forum a few 3M HSR store haters are mudslinging unncessarily.

Yoko AVS DB, should have costed you 5,200 per tyre. Any salvage value on the old tyres? Hows the ride after setting the tyre pressure right.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 21:12   #359
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
CD,

The car looks much better than the showroom ones. Also 3M might make you their brand ambassador

Can you share the cost of the Yoko's? Did you get anything for the old tyres?
Thanks ghodlur.

Brand Ambassador? No way, should see the way Karthik maintains both his cars! Plus all the carbon fiber wraps etc makes him the undisputed champion.

Yoko's costed 5200 per tyre. Got complimentary balancing and alignment as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Thats nice work of getting the car back to shape. Should have been a pain to see the car dirty. Go going painting the town red.

On teambhp its all praises for this center, on the other forum a few 3M HSR store haters are mudslinging unncessarily.

Yoko AVS DB, should have costed you 5,200 per tyre. Any salvage value on the old tyres? Hows the ride after setting the tyre pressure right.
Pain? Not really. I was happy to see it dirty rather than me washing the car and giving it swirl marks. There were several layers of dirt on the car, and a lot of tar marks.

About the old tyres- I didn't bother asking about salvage price. I mean, it's 48k run Goodyear GT3s!

Ride has become much better now. Small irregularities are dismissed without even an acknowledgement. Noise levels are superb. Might need to put mudflaps though- could see water getting thrown high enough to end up on an Innova's windshield and he was not trailing too close either. Never noticed water getting thrown from the tyres even when the GT3s were new.

But, while correcting the pressure today- front right side showed less than 20ps. Puncture on Day 2 itself, or tyreshop's mistake? Will know in 2 days.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2013, 21:22   #360
Senior - BHPian

Car is looking pretty good at close to 50k on the odo. The 3M guys have achieved decent shine on a white car.

Any reason you din't opt for the Primacy LC replacement from michelin ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks